PDA

View Full Version : Debatra [Heavy RP Intro]

tigerusthegreat
2012-09-26, 11:13 PM
Since coming to the Capital to continue your arcane research, you have been talked about in some circles as the savage wizard. Perhaps this is a testament to the ferocity of your research and passions for discovery...then again, it is more likely that your Imperial cousins see you as nothing more than a country bumpkin, who learned magic by mere chance. Many of those nobles who share a race with you would not be caught dead studying magic...it is too much of a working man's task.

As you prepare yourself for meditation one night, in the small rooms being a member of the Mage's Guild provides free of charge, a letter is delivered to you. It bears a seal, which your studies tell you comes from the House D'Trastinora, one of the more powerful houses in the Empire. It states simply that the Earl D'Trastinora requests your presence some evening for a private dinner. He claims to have questions of a magical nature that you are in a unique position to answer. How he knows of you, or your position, is an interesting one, as most elves in his level of power could care less about an elf with no family connections to power, let alone one whose primary industry is magic. You look again and find that the letter is indeed addressed to you directly, and not to the guild. It wouldn't be the first time the guild has sent a lower ranking member on a task the powerful did not want to mess with. The Earl has set no date for dining, but left it an open invitation to take in at your leisure. You have heard that the Earl is a rather strange elf, collecting all manner of ancient things dug up from the ground. He likes to show this collection off to noble children, but guards it fiercely.

Debatra
2012-09-28, 01:15 PM
Having little better to do, Debatra takes fifteen minutes to adjust some of his spells for the day, casts Magic Aura to make himself and his equipment appear completely nonmagical and heads out for House D'Trastinora.

tigerusthegreat
2012-10-01, 09:00 AM
The House D'Trastinora is large and built like a fortress. Two human guards are at the gate, and challenge you as they approach. "Halt! Who approaches the House of the Earl d'Trastanora."

Debatra
2012-10-01, 05:21 PM
He presents the letter to the guard. "My name is Debatra Fallin. The Earl has requested my presence."

tigerusthegreat
2012-10-02, 02:39 PM
That guard motions for you to follow him inside, down a long hallway. Defensively, the long hallway, with small arrow slits to the sides, and what you are sure are murder holes in the ceiling above, is a great tool. It seems a little ominous that a noble would need such measures, but the house is very old, so perhaps once long ago they were needed...or maybe this man has enemies.

You are lead into a large dining hall. An entire tree burns in the hearth, illuminating the room. The dying sun shines through stain glass windows depicting battle scenes. Even these windows are reinforced with bars, so there is no entry possible there. The bars add to the militaristic feel of the entire home. Standing by the hearth is a middle aged elf. "Welcome to my home, Debatra Fallin."

Debatra
2012-10-02, 05:40 PM
The younger Elf takes a few steps forward, being sure to leave enough distance between them to keep the guards calm. "Good evening, Earl D'Trastinora. It is an honor to accept your invitation."

tigerusthegreat
2012-10-08, 08:41 AM
"How is the guild treating you? I worry often about those of our kind that take to the guild...being equals with those that come from the lowest levels must be trying for a member of the noble race."

Debatra
2012-10-09, 04:53 PM
"Most of us understand that the advancement of magic is more important than certain petty squabbles. Magic can allow for more luxury than nobility alone; though the two together would doubtless remain superior."

tigerusthegreat
2012-10-11, 09:37 PM
"Tell me, then, in your travels have you seen any exotic creatures? Any creatures whose very nature is magical? I have taken a great study of ancient things, and I have seen evidence that there once were such creatures that roamed the land freely, however, none are seen within the Empire itself. Perhaps with your wider knowledge of the world, you would have seen something that those who stay to the Empire's innards do not."

Debatra
2012-10-12, 02:12 AM
Debatra shifts his weight and thinks for a moment before answering.

Knowledge (Arcana) [roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2012-10-13, 09:45 PM
You have heard of such creatures existing, reptiles who had innate magic power. The only one of your classes on the subject was purely theoretical in nature, examining how it was possible to store magical energy within a living body. It is possible such creatures are extinct, or forced into hiding by the march of civilization. Many wild creatures do not inhabit the same land once men come and build their cities.

Debatra
2012-10-14, 12:47 PM
Having collected his thoughts, the younger Elf freely offers all the information he has.

tigerusthegreat
2012-10-18, 11:44 AM
"I am funding an expedition to find relics and remains of long-dead creatures. When I was younger I found some interesting artifacts in the orc-lands, before it was civilized. I believe that there are still remains there to be found, as I had to hurry away from the site to serve the March. The leader of the expedition is a military man whom I trust, and he will be able to keep you from harm's way should anything dangerous be found, but I need someone with magical knowledge to safely collect and store the remains. Are you interested?"

Debatra
2012-10-19, 10:45 AM
"Yes, I'm certainly interested. However, only a fool rushes into business without discussing terms."

tigerusthegreat
2012-10-19, 02:09 PM
"I will give you two hundred gold now, and eight hundred more when the artifacts are returned to me. Besides the artifacts, anything else you find is yours to do what you wish with. "

Debatra
2012-10-21, 12:15 AM
"Roughly how long do you expect the expedition to take, and when would we head off?"

tigerusthegreat
2012-10-23, 08:11 AM
"The journey to the orc lands will only take two days. How long the ruins take to explore I don't know. I was in there for only a day and didn't get too far. You will leave in two days, as soon as I get the rest of the security detail together."

Debatra
2012-10-23, 08:38 PM
"Then your terms are accepted; although I already have most of what I need, and easy access to that I don't. I would rather accept the full payment on completion."