PDA

View Full Version : Can Vermin be made into Zombies?

Tvtyrant
2012-09-27, 02:13 AM
The zombie template says that the target creature needs to have a skeletal system, so it cuts out plants, oozes, constructs, and elementals entirely. However an exoskeleton is an external skeletal system, so it may or may not include Vermin. Does anyone have a RAW ruling, or earlier threads about the subject (my google-fu is weak)?

JellyPooga
2012-09-27, 02:51 AM
Huh...I think there may be an argument for not allowing a skeleton vermin, but not so much zombies. I don't have a RAW ruling on the subject, but personally, I'd allow either...an exoskelton is, after all, a skeletal system.

JustPlayItLoud
2012-09-27, 02:53 AM
That's an interesting query, and one for which I am unaware of any official ruling. It makes me think of a couple of points.

1. Upon initially thinking about it, there is no logical reason I can see why necromantic magics couldn't animate a once living scorpion the same as it could a once living human, bear, unicorn, giant, dragon, etc. The lack of external flesh might make it difficult to tell if you're facing a zombie or skeletal version of a creature, or even a living version, so it could be good for keeping PCs on their toes.

2. As far as the actual rules goes, I think the intent is for animating dead to only work on creatures with an endoskeleton. My reasoning behind that is in the zombie and skeleton template descriptions, it specifies "any corporeal creature (other than an undead) that has a skeletal system". I feel the usage of "skeletal system" rather than just "skeleton" could imply an endoskeleton. It could be simply that wording it as skeletal system reads better, but skeletal system usually refers to more than just the physical skeleton.

Someone with more anatomy/zoology knowledge might say otherwise, but as far as I know an exoskeleton mostly just serves to support and protect the creature and provide points of attachment for muscles. Some endoskeletal creatures have a skeleton that only serves this purpose but some creatures, mammals for example, have a more complex skeletal system. Human skeletons, for example, also produce blood cells and play a role in the endocrinal system. If you accept that ruling then skeletal scorpions are a no go, but zombie sea sponges, having only a simple endoskeleton and not a full skeletal system, would be nothing more than an awesome band name.

Tvtyrant
2012-09-27, 03:49 AM
I think I am going to take it as yes, although it likely isn't what the designers intended. Vermin wouldn't make OP zombies anyway, since they lack anything approaching a Hydras abilities.

Darrin
2012-09-27, 06:51 AM
I think I'd rule in favor of the arthropods on this one. Exoskeleton = skeletal system.

(What about sharks, though...? Cartilage != bone...)

If you're looking to turn vermin into undead, there's the Husk Vermin template in Drow of the Underdark that does exactly this. There's also the Skitterhaunt (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/fw/fw20021123a) template if you want to turn them into an ooze.