PDA

View Full Version : Making the best out of Horrible rolls. (Barbarian)

Kvazars
2012-09-27, 08:28 AM
Greetings, people.

Just joined a game of 3.5, had the first session, lots of fun. We were rolling for stats, which I was cool with, then I rolled 15,11,10,10,9,5, which I was still cool with. With Dwarf racials (couldn't go halforc or I wouldn't be able to speak) that's

15 STR 13 CON 10 DEX 10 WIS 5 INT 7 CHA.

Now the DM was clear that I could reroll, but I decided to balance out bad rolls with suicidal tendencies, picked up Toughness and started blathering in drunken Scottish retardese, burned down a house and won a tavern brawl.

Most other players are completely new and we seem to mostly stick to PHB, I've played pathfinder and 4e, as well as some d100 warhammer.

So is there a way to make a working barbarian with stats like these, or should I go on rampaging until it kills me, preferably sooner than later?

Allanimal
2012-09-27, 08:43 AM
That's a playable barbarian, though I would change toughness to something useful. Like power attack, if only because it is a prereq for other feats.

The only issue I see is if the other characters have vastly better stats or the group is highly optimized (sounds like it isn't). In these cases you could be outshined by the others all the time.

Kvazars
2012-09-27, 08:51 AM
I guess getting Power Attack is fair advice, considering I'm using the traditional greataxe, though it gets my attack bonus a bit low for my liking. I guess I'm just used to higher stats from pointbuy/4e/PF. Some people did roll exceptionally well, but I don't mind as long as I am not going to be completelly worthless.

Pilo
2012-09-27, 08:53 AM
You may swap wisdom and intelligence, while raging, your will save will be prety low anyway.

If you go wood elf, you may get the following stats:
Str17,Dex13,Con 8, Int 8, Wis 5 and Ch 9 or Str17,Dex13,Con 8, Int 8, Wis 9 and Ch 5.

If you plan to have your character die, reroll now so your death will not ruin the plot (and you will avoid to make the job of your DM harder).

Kvazars
2012-09-27, 08:56 AM
I'd much rather make it work, and when I say suicidal I mean in potentially lethal combat situations anyways, taking down as many of the enemy as I can (our combat is on the rougher end certainly).

I think it's too late to change my stats, and certainly my race, as with all his faults, Krag is a character at this point already, and it would screw too much with the game to change it now. Besides, can't say he's not growing on me.

prufock
2012-09-27, 09:10 AM
If you want to go ahead with these stats, how about an ubercharger. It sort of fits the "suicidal tendencies" bit, and you'll likely be one-shotting most things you charge at - at the expense of pitiful AC.

Swap out your fast movement for Pounce at level 1 (Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian), Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Shock Trooper. I'm assuming you're level 1 to start, so it will be a while before you build up to this, but Pounce and Power Attack are still available.

Alienist
2012-09-27, 10:57 AM
Just have fun with it.

When you get another feat, take "more toughness" and then "even more toughness" the one after that.

The thing is to set a really good example and tome for the new players. Make sure everyone is having fun, and if someone starts complaining about their character, offer to swap stats with them ;-)

Above all, show them the difference between a collection of stats, and a character.

Eugenides
2012-09-27, 02:38 PM
Just have fun with it.

When you get another feat, take "more toughness" and then "even more toughness" the one after that.

The thing is to set a really good example and tome for the new players. Make sure everyone is having fun, and if someone starts complaining about their character, offer to swap stats with them ;-)

Above all, show them the difference between a collection of stats, and a character.

I'm going to go with this. If the campaign is largely PHB, then you shouldn't worry too much. Just have fun. You're a Barbarian. You break things, whether they be people or objects. Break things until nothing is left to break or until you get broken.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-27, 04:08 PM
Those numbers are absolutely fine. The int 5 may be a bit tough to RP, but you have an otherwise perfectly viable set.

TuggyNE
2012-09-27, 04:36 PM
Greetings, people.

Just joined a game of 3.5, had the first session, lots of fun. We were rolling for stats, which I was cool with, then I rolled 15,11,10,10,9,5, which I was still cool with. With Dwarf racials (couldn't go halforc or I wouldn't be able to speak) that's

15 STR 13 CON 10 DEX 10 WIS 5 INT 7 CHA.

Now the DM was clear that I could reroll, but I decided to balance out bad rolls with suicidal tendencies, picked up Toughness and started blathering in drunken Scottish retardese, burned down a house and won a tavern brawl.

Most other players are completely new and we seem to mostly stick to PHB, I've played pathfinder and 4e, as well as some d100 warhammer.

So is there a way to make a working barbarian with stats like these, or should I go on rampaging until it kills me, preferably sooner than later?

These are probably workable, although you'll undoubtedly suffer occasionally from low stats; if everyone else is new and no one accidentally rolls up Druidzilla, you should turn out more or less OK.

Any creature with at least 3 Int can speak a language and be a PC; moreover, there's no way to make a half-orc character with less than 3 Int. Even if you rolled a 3 and assigned that to Int, it would be no less than 3 resulting.