PDA

View Full Version : Forum problem, is it my browser?

Snowbody
2012-09-27, 10:42 AM
Whenever I try to access the forum during the backup, I get the "this site has been cached by the cloudflare AlwaysOn(tm) service" or whatever it says. So far so good. But then, after the outage ends, the particular browser I used ALWAYS shows me the cloudflare cached page...until I clear my giantitp/cloudflare cookies. (Switching to another browser also works)

I complained about this on the Board/Site issues, and Rawhide said that the problem is with my browser, that it is hanging onto the cookies that say "go to the cloudflare mirror instead" much longer than it's supposed to.

I use Chrome and Firefox and I've encountered the problem with both of them.

Any ideas? Next time it happens I'll use a debugging tool to peek at the cookies and see the actual expiration.

Rawhide
2012-09-27, 12:12 PM
Whenever I try to access the forum during the backup, I get the "this site has been cached by the cloudflare AlwaysOn(tm) service" or whatever it says. So far so good. But then, after the outage ends, the particular browser I used ALWAYS shows me the cloudflare cached page...until I clear my giantitp/cloudflare cookies. (Switching to another browser also works)

I complained about this on the Board/Site issues, and Rawhide said that the problem is with my browser, that it is hanging onto the cookies that say "go to the cloudflare mirror instead" much longer than it's supposed to.

I use Chrome and Firefox and I've encountered the problem with both of them.

Any ideas? Next time it happens I'll use a debugging tool to peek at the cookies and see the actual expiration.

The issue may be with the browser, as suggested by their tech support. It may be caching it for longer than it should. It was suggested that it might do this for login purposes.

There's absolutely no need to delete the giantitp cookies, only the cloudflare ones.

razark
2012-09-27, 01:01 PM
There's absolutely no need to delete the giantitp cookies, only the cloudflare ones.
See my post in the other thread. The problem only stopped when I deleted the giantitp.com cookies. At that point, there were no Cloudflare cookies in my browser. The only cookies I deleted were the giantitp.com ones, and that resolved the issue.

Rawhide
2012-09-27, 01:15 PM
See my post in the other thread. The problem only stopped when I deleted the giantitp.com cookies. At that point, there were no Cloudflare cookies in my browser. The only cookies I deleted were the giantitp.com ones, and that resolved the issue.

At this point, it could still be a coincidence. Also, did you try the alt site?

razark
2012-09-27, 01:23 PM
At this point, it could still be a coincidence. Also, did you try the alt site?
The alt site worked fine, once I knew about it.

It could be coincidence, but I doubt it.
I deleted the Cloudflare cookie in the list, and still got the same result. I did an complete search through my list, and there was nothing there. Retried and researched the list several times. The Cloudflare cookie never showed up again. Tried the alt site, it worked fine, and it left cookies. Deleted the giantitp.com cookies, but left the alt cookies; the site worked fine.

Edit:
I am currently getting the message:

This page (http://www.giantitp.com/Comics.html) is currently offline. However, because the site uses CloudFlare's Always Online™ technology you can continue to surf a snapshot of the site. We will keep checking in the background and, as soon as the site comes back, you will automatically be served the live version. Always Online™ is powered by CloudFlare | Hide this Alert
if I click the "Comics" link (http://www.giantitp.com/Comics.html). This seems to be the only page it shows up on for me. I checked the list, and there are no Cloudflare cookies set at this time.

Edit V2.0:
Cleared the giantitp cookies. Message is gone.