PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Duel Wielding for smite evil?

iyaerP
2012-09-27, 10:46 AM
Due to pathfinder's smite evil mechanic, especially the +chamod to hit, and the +damage on hit being the same across all weapons, would it be better for a paladin to dual wield to get the most out of smite evil?

Because I know that the answer depends largely on the stats of the paladin in question, I am assuming that I would be using my PFS pointbuy paladin of 14, 12, 14, 10, 8, 18. He currently wields a greatsword, but compared with other party members, my damage feels lacking, even when smite is in effect. For comparison, the other melee party members are a ragechymist, a samurai, and a thief. Levels 2-5 (paladin just hit 3).

charcoalninja
2012-09-27, 11:15 AM
I am a very large fan of this. Elven Paladin dual wielding a scimitar in one hand and a Kukri in the other makes for some seriously boss crits.

legomaster00156
2012-09-27, 12:21 PM
Two-Weapon Fighting requires 15 DEX. You COULD dual-wield without the feat, but I think it's recommended. Frankly, there are better stats to put that 18 into.

watchwood
2012-09-27, 03:15 PM
Maybe dip a couple of levels of Ranger? That'd get you a few decent abilities, including TWF as a free feat that bypasses prerequisites.

Andreaz
2012-09-27, 03:16 PM
Maybe dip a couple of levels of Ranger? That'd get you a few decent abilities, including TWF as a free feat that bypasses prerequisites.

Restricted to light armor.

jmelesky
2012-09-27, 03:34 PM
Restricted to light armor.

Light or medium armor. Or no armor, but that seems less likely.

KnightOfV
2012-09-27, 09:22 PM
Because of the Move->Standard attack thing I think you are still better off with a Two Hander, dumping the DEX for more STR and Power Attacking.

But, on a related note, I DMed a game not too long ago with a typical 18 STR Greatsword Pally, and a 20 DEX Halfling Paladin that used a Longbow/ Deadly Aim/ Rapid Shot. I had to reread Smite rules, and sure enough, no reason it has to be a melee attack in Pathfinder. Halfling always got full attack Smites from RANGE, up to 100 feet away. x3 Crit Smites really ruined a Dragon who thought he was safe flying. Over the entire game, the Hafling Smiting with a bow definitely did more damage than the Greatsword guy by a fair amount.