PDA

View Full Version : Playing God, the Wizard way (D&d 3.5, PF)

Wazirak1
2012-09-27, 01:46 PM
Hello all, recently i've posted a couple of requests for help building up character themes, and I return once more with a like-request. Ok so heres the deal, i'd like to make a wizard character (Base class being wizard, prestige optional) Who uses spells, skills, and abilities to, as the title says, play god. Awaken spells are much desired, granting everything sentience is pretty fun. (Awaken, Awaken undead, and Awaken Construct), as well as transmutations, and graft usage, with the end result being altering the natural balance till new races are introduced. I want to make the new manticore, so to speak. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you. ((No psionics, tome of magic or swords))((Level I'm aiming for is 18-19))

Malkav
2012-09-27, 02:05 PM
Awaken spells are much desired, granting everything sentience is pretty fun.

Awaken is a 5th circle druid spell. I'd recommend Arcane Hierophant(RoW 108).

Randomguy
2012-09-27, 03:29 PM
Have you looked at Treantmonk's guide to playing god?

Eldariel
2012-09-27, 03:44 PM
Well, clearly you have your way set already. Wyrm Wizard could pick up some extra spells that aren't on your list already. Obviously you need to have access to Wish and Polymorph Any Object since those can help a lot. Miracle could be a nice spell to have too so you might want to consider picking that up through e.g. Arcane Disciple, Wyrm Wizard or Recaster.

Basically, you want as much reality altering magic as possible. So you definitely need 9th level spells. Avoid losing any caster levels. Don't be afraid to outsource; if you can't cast something, you can always Gate/Bind something that can. You need True Creation-spell. If you can wing it, Complete Arcane has the stupid-strong Thought Bottle which would allow you to weasel out of all the XP you're investing in these spells.

Really tho, just pick the right spells and work from there. Wizard has the power to basically do anything once he hits level 9 spells; just maximize your caster level & spells per day (high casting score) and pick up the few key outlier spells and work from there. Miracle alone can duplicate things like Awaken with a breeze so there's no need to go for all the lower level specifics, however.

Wazirak1
2012-09-27, 03:56 PM
Perhaps in order to keep full caster level progression, I could take the domain wizard acl, and take the spell domain, which would then get me access to anyspell, greater, which could then get me Awaken?

Lostbutseeking
2012-09-27, 03:58 PM
Perhaps in order to keep full caster level progression, I could take the domain wizard acl, and take the spell domain, which would then get me access to anyspell, greater, which could then get me Awaken?

Domain wizard's domains are not the same as cleric domains.

Chess435
2012-09-27, 07:44 PM
Have you looked at Treantmonk's guide to playing god?

Rule 34 of Dungeons and Dragons: If it exists, there is a guide on it. No exceptions.

Alienist
2012-09-27, 09:32 PM
Rule 34 of Dungeons and Dragons: If it exists, there is a guide on it. No exceptions.

Except that Treantmonk's guide to being completely obnoxious and acting superior to everyone else doesn't even mention awaken... and hence I struggle to see the relevance.

"Playing God" is a commonly used English phrase referring to the creation of life (see also: Dr Frankenstein)

Since the OP seems a happy and well adjusted individual, continuing to steer him in the direction of that guide would appear to be doing him a cruel disservice.

---

@OP Have you looked at the Effigy Master prestige class? It's focused on creating constructs.

Slipperychicken
2012-09-27, 10:24 PM
Make an Ice Assassin of an existing God, and get it to give you its Divine Ranks :smalltongue:

Okay, it might be more complicated than that, but the principle works in 3.5, I think.

Wazirak1
2012-09-27, 10:44 PM
I am pretty happy, thank you, as for the effigy master, I haven't looked into it, no, I'll do that. Also, as to the domain wizard's not working like that, I acknowledge you, though I will say, their list of domains is ...stupidly limited.

Chess435
2012-09-27, 11:42 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a feat in Complete Divine that allows arcane casters to add a domain to their spell list. Think it was called Arcane Disciple or something like that.

avr
2012-09-27, 11:53 PM
The Daivrat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/daivrat) PrC in PF lets you pick up out-of-class spells once a day. At level 5 in the PrC, so character level 12 you can get a level 6 or lower spell which should cover Awaken.

Genie servants aren't out of line with playing god either IMO.

Analytica
2012-09-29, 06:46 AM
You can also Wish awaken.

In PF, Pathfinder Savant adds spells to your class list from other sources, you can also get that as a Samsaran alternate racial ability.

Consider Genesis (3.5) or the Create Demiplane (PF) spells to actually make your own world.

Pathfinder also has Fleshwarping rules (basically requiring craft wondrous item and brew potion) that you can use to make new types of creatures.