PDA

View Full Version : Generic UA Classes

Dragrun
2012-09-27, 02:20 PM
Hello Playground

How good are generic classes in the tier system? I didn't see them in there but i would like to know. My group might be using them ( SHOCK )

Feralventas
2012-09-27, 02:36 PM
The spellcaster is T2, having sorcerer spellcasting and their choice of spells.

The Expert is on par with the rogue to a certain degree.

The warrior is a fighter and should be considered accordingly.

Mix and match as you like.

Malkav
2012-09-27, 02:39 PM
A Human going Expert 2/Warrior 2/Spellcaster 1 with two flaws can have 10 feats. And can do just about anything.

I'd say Tier 2 if shenanigans are properly employed.

Dragrun
2012-09-27, 05:13 PM
alright thanks then my group isn't well optimized so im fine but thanks tho

Zombulian
2012-09-27, 08:39 PM
Warrior makes fighters cry. Gets all the good abilities, except can choose which saves it wants to be good, and doesn't have to choose it's bonus feats off a list. It can even switch out those bonus feats for certain class abilities :smallsigh:

Last Laugh
2012-09-27, 11:53 PM
Intelligence based spontaneous caster is just too darn tasty. (and without the spell list restrictions of beguiler)

Jeff the Green
2012-09-28, 01:12 AM
Intelligence based spontaneous caster is just too darn tasty. (and without the spell list restrictions of beguiler)

I like Charisma better, since you can get into Walker in the Waste at 2 and thus d12 HD plus Charisma to HP at level 11.

Draz74
2012-09-28, 02:12 AM
Or go Wisdom so you can get a big AC bonus easily (no Spell Failure if your magic counts as divine).

But even without that, yeah, Spellcaster is high Tier 2. Spells off of any list, spontaneous casting without the Sorcerer's half-spell-level delay, bonus feats, and free selection of Good Save and Class Skills. Yeah, probably the best Tier 2 class.

Jeff the Green
2012-09-28, 02:37 AM
Or go Wisdom so you can get a big AC bonus easily (no Spell Failure if your magic counts as divine).

But even without that, yeah, Spellcaster is high Tier 2. Spells off of any list, spontaneous casting without the Sorcerer's half-spell-level delay, bonus feats, and free selection of Good Save and Class Skills. Yeah, probably the best Tier 2 class.

Spirit shaman (CD) is arguably higher, since while it's limited to a single list, it can change out its spells known each day. There's some debate about which tier it belongs to, but given that it has the weakest list of the big three (druid) with no innate animals to buff or ways of turning into an animal, I maintain it's the highest tier 2.

Generic spellcaster is pretty freakin' strong, though.

The warrior is probably the best sneak attacker in the game; full BAB, and it gets 10d6 at level 15, only having to invest full ranks in two skills and take three feats! Actually, unless you need skill points for whatever reason, the warrior is probably the best mundane class outside of ToB.

Planar
2012-09-28, 04:02 AM
Note that generic classes are not designed to play along with other base classes. Warrior and Spellcaster make Fighter and Sorcerer obsolete respectively.

So I would put Spellcaster high tier 2, Warrior high tier 4 (or low tier 3) and Expert somewhere in the 3-4 band.

killianh
2012-09-28, 04:12 AM
the warrior class is better than the fighter due to no restrictions on the feats you can take, and some of those feats include things like sneak attack, turn undead, and other tasty class features reduced to a simple feat.

Expert is on par with a rouge if built like a rogue, but a bit more erratic due to uneven progression of certain things (you get sneak attack three times producing a big jump each time)

Spellcaster I would personally call a low tier 1 due to the fact that you can learn any spell from cleric, druid, or wizard/sorcerer lists and your spell choice is unaffected by your choice between arcane or divine casting.

One thing that can be done with them is you can take turn undead (which is one of the class features allowed for generic classes) and make a charisma based arcane caster. look up DMM:persist on the boards and you'll get the idea, plus you can choose from any of the three schools meaning your potential has jumped leaps and bounds.

Tr011
2012-09-28, 04:33 AM
The spellcaster is T2, having sorcerer spellcasting and their choice of spells.

The Expert is on par with the rogue to a certain degree.

The warrior is a fighter and should be considered accordingly.

Mix and match as you like.

The spellcaster isn't just "Tier 2". It's way better than the sorcerer. It's either high Tier 2 or low Tier 1 because the tricks you can take with that spelllist are endless.
Warrior is Tier 4 since it works way better than Fighter and got "class features".
Expert is high Tier 4 because it's kind of a good rogue. But it's really becoming handy in multiclassing with regular classes.

Jeff the Green
2012-09-28, 05:16 AM
The spellcaster isn't just "Tier 2". It's way better than the sorcerer. It's either high Tier 2 or low Tier 1 because the tricks you can take with that spelllist are endless..

It's not tier-1 because it can't change it's spells known, The hallmark of all tier-1 classes is the ability to be capable of handling anything given eight hours to prepare.

Warrior is Tier 4 since it works way better than Fighter and got "class features".
Expert is high Tier 4 because it's kind of a good rogue. But it's really becoming handy in multiclassing with regular classes.

They're both high tier 4, but warrior is higher. Four feats is worth more than the four skill points per level and extra good save. (That said, if I were ever playing a warrior I'd pick up a level of expert first, for the boost to my two bad saves and the 16 extra skill points in exchange for four HP and a point of BAB)

TopCheese
2012-09-28, 12:22 PM
So has anyone created a handbook for these classes?

Google search hates my phone... >.>