PDA

View Full Version : How many shurikens can you throw with one attack?

karkus
2012-09-27, 04:40 PM
Since what seems like the earliest memory of D&D to me, I have "known" that you can throw 3 shurikens/attack. Recently, I wanted to make sure that that was a fact, and I couldn't find anything on the subject of it. I asked my DM about it, who has been playing since 1st edition, I believe, and he said that there were probably some rules listed on it back then, but I still have no idea what they are now.

Do any of you guys know what they could be? Was I correct, in that you can throw 3 at a time, or are they just a regular throwing weapon?

kitcik
2012-09-27, 04:56 PM
I believe that they are just a regular throwing weapon, except that they are treated as "ammunition" meaning that drawing them is a free action and enchanting them is cheap, but they can break when thrown.

mistformsquirrl
2012-09-27, 04:59 PM
I think - and I may be wrong on this - but I think that was a 3.0e rule, that you could throw 3 per attack. I think that rule got lost in the transition to 3.5e though.

That said I'm just going off the top of my head, so I could be misremembering.

Feralventas
2012-09-27, 05:01 PM
Flurry of Stars (Ex): A ninja with this ability can expend 1 ki point from her ki pool as a swift action before she makes a full-attack attack with shuriken. During that attack, she can throw two additional shuriken at her highest attack bonus, but all of her shuriken attacks are made at a –2 penalty, including the two extra attacks.

This is a Ninja Trick out of Pathfinder, if your DM/game allows PF content. It would allow you to make a full-round attack with up to 5 shuriken at 15th level and above, but that's the closest I've found for it.

Alternatively, there's the simple Quick Draw with Rapid Shot and Many-shot feats if they apply to thrown weapons instead of just bows, but I'm afraid I don't know on that front.

Douglas
2012-09-27, 05:49 PM
That was changed in the transition from 3e to 3.5e. To compensate for no longer getting triple attacks, the base damage was increased (slightly) and the limitation of not getting strength bonus to damage was dropped.