PDA

View Full Version : [PF] How to abuse Brother of the Seal's Gatekeeper?

deuxhero
2012-09-27, 10:57 PM
Brother of the Seal has one of the stupidest class features I've seen

At 2nd level, a Brother of the Seal may select either hold portal or arcane lock, and he gains the ability to cast the selected spell once per day. Once made, this choice cannot be reversed.

At 6th level, and again at 10th level, a Brother of the Seal may cast the selected spell an additional time per day.

I have zero doubt the intent was it being a spell like ability, but RAW it seems to give them the ability to actually cast it (though their casting is a spell-like ability and not a natural ability).

I can think of a lot of ways to use this in 3.5, but is there anything in pure PF?

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-28, 12:32 AM
Well, Gatekeeper is a spell-like ability. That's pretty much the wording on all spell-like abilities. All spell-like abilities are cast, anway.

deuxhero
2012-09-28, 12:46 AM
Spell Like Abilities have the line "as a spell-like ability". Brother of the Seal doesn't.

Like I said, not the RAI, but it can't hurt to find a way to abuse a really useless ability.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-28, 12:50 AM
Spell Like Abilities have the line "as a spell-like ability". Brother of the Seal doesn't.

Like I said, not the RAI, but it can't hurt to find a way to abuse a really useless ability.

But Gatekeeper has "Sp" right beside it's name. It is a spell-like ability. That's what spell-like abilities do - they let you cast a spell.
Check Complete Arcane and how warlocks qualify for prestige classes, that should help.