PDA

View Full Version : Just donated my D&D books to charity

Totally Guy
2012-09-28, 04:20 AM
My workplace was doing a book drive for disadvantaged kids and teens so I bundled up the core 3 D&D 3.5 books (and Cityscape which I'd been gifted) and put them in the box.

I also donated a 3rd edition Shadowrun core book and the two book Burning Wheel Revised set that I no longer use.

I've just got my fingers crossed that someone out there uses them. Would you give me good odds?

Lentrax
2012-09-28, 04:26 AM
I'll be generous and give you 50/50.

Hopefully the person distributing them isn't:

1. One of the people who believes D&D is 'The Devil's game' and takes the books so as to not "spoil" the children's minds.

2. Someone who looks at them, and says, "I haven't seen these in ages, and takes them for him/herself.

3. Someone who looks at them and says, 'Lets just take these three books and give them to different kids.' (Imagine, three kids in different houses each with one of the core books. 'Wondertriplets unite! Form of Roleplaying!' Thats actually a heartening thought. If the kids ever meet.)

edit: but seriously, good for you! Bringing more future nerds into the fold. Huzzah, sir. Huzzah.

Totally Guy
2012-09-28, 04:33 AM
3. Someone who looks at them and says, 'Lets just take these three books and give them to different kids.'

That was my main concern so I've put 6 thick rubber bands around them.

Your number one concern seems to be a US-centric phenomenon, I think.

Unseenmal
2012-09-28, 10:41 AM
I did the same thing with some older books I was gifted/inherited. I had doubles of some books. DM's guide, PHB and MM1/MM2. All the ones needed to start a game. All were donated to my local library. The librarian was actually quite excited to have them...or she lied through her teeth. But she told me that they had been looking for RPG books like that since some of the younger kids had been asking for them.

I live in the US by the way. So I think your concerns of the "Devil's Game" are exaggerated. Not to say those people aren't out there but so much less than you think. Where I live, in NJ, there is a rich community of RPGers. Sadly, Central NJ where I live, is a little tougher but North and South NJ are rich with gamers. Central NJ seems to have a good chunk of tabletop Wargame players moreso than RPGers. I do both though, D&D and other RPGs plus Warhammer 40k.

Not all of us in the US are the stereotypical fat, loud, greasy Americans.
Some of us have culture and respect :smallbiggrin:

Asheram
2012-09-28, 01:19 PM
Good on you, Sir! Spread the good word of roleplaying!

Ravens_cry
2012-09-28, 03:24 PM
My first exposure to D&D was the 3.X splat books at my then hometown library.
At the time, I read them mostly for the pictures and eventually some of the fluff, but it got me intrigued enough to eventually join some D&D forums and finally, get off my duff and ask at a local gaming store if anyone was looking for a player.
The rest, as they say, is a Knowledge: History check.:smalltongue:

Tyndmyr
2012-09-28, 05:08 PM
I live in the US by the way. So I think your concerns of the "Devil's Game" are exaggerated. Not to say those people aren't out there but so much less than you think.

It seems to be mostly a midwest thing...I live on the east coast, and there's no shortage of geek up in here, and I don't really see any of this attitude anymore. =)

Slipperychicken
2012-09-28, 06:04 PM
It seems to be mostly a midwest thing...I live on the east coast, and there's no shortage of geek up in here, and I don't really see any of this attitude anymore. =)

Seconded. I too live on the east coast, and have not seen any DnD-hate. If anything, it's more curiosity than anything else. Once they realize it's not a LARP, they usually don't mind.

Averis Vol
2012-09-28, 06:11 PM
Coincidentally my brother was the jock who messed with the DnD nerds in highschool. He recently learned that me and my friends play and gave me the "Really bro?" look :P

EDIT: were on the west coast, and theres a lot of people who are interested in the game but don't actually know anything about it, though, it might just be a hipster thing, who knows.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-09-29, 02:43 AM

And down here in the south. The gaming club at my campus got shut down because they hosted D&D games. >.<

Lentrax
2012-09-29, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I'm in the midwest. I haven't realy seen a lot of hate. I actually got that concern from my best friends mom, who ruined a planned night of D&D by pulling both of us out because she was concerned we would end up in a graveyard drinking and

summoning and whatnot.

Other than that, no one I've ever met has ever had it happen to them.

danzibr
2012-09-29, 08:07 AM
And down here in the south. The gaming club at my campus got shut down because they hosted D&D games. >.<
:(

@OP: Nice work!

Knaight
2012-09-29, 02:13 PM

Even then, it's parts of the midwest (and parts of the south). I'm in the midwest, but I'm in a decently large city; I've never seen it and never expect to. In more rural areas, it's somewhat more plausible.

Fitz10019
2012-09-29, 02:42 PM

Wow. When was this?

Roland St. Jude
2012-09-29, 04:00 PM
Sheriff: So far, so good, but please drag this thread in a relevant and non-religious direction.

Snowbluff
2012-09-29, 04:38 PM
I did the same thing with some older books I was gifted/inherited. I had doubles of some books. DM's guide, PHB and MM1/MM2. All the ones needed to start a game. All were donated to my local library. The librarian was actually quite excited to have them...or she lied through her teeth. But she told me that they had been looking for RPG books like that since some of the younger kids had been asking for them.

Yeah, my library has a nice DnD thing going on. We have campaign sessions and do encounters on the weekends. :smallsmile:

Not all of us in the US are the stereotypical fat, loud, greasy Americans.
Some of us have culture and respect :smallbiggrin:
Quoted for truth.

nyjastul69
2012-09-30, 03:39 AM
Good for you. :smallcool: I've done some charity work myself. The only relevant bits being that I donated my entire run of HackMaster 4e to a charity drive. Good works dude. Sorry to hear about some of the RPG hate distaste. I thought that died during the 80's. :smallannoyed:

Ravens_cry
2012-09-30, 07:43 AM
My dad harboured similar feelings, but I think showing him d20 modern helped explain things. Also bringing up Lord of the Rings helped as well as Narnia.

Jarveiyan
2012-10-01, 05:50 AM
{Scrubbed}

Arcanist
2012-10-01, 07:31 AM
{Scrubbed}

Roland St. Jude
2012-10-01, 09:10 AM
Sheriff: The Forum Rules are quite clear that real world religion is off-limits for this forum, even when it intersects gaming topics. I attempted to direct you away from such violations upthread. Thread locked.