PDA

View Full Version : Drowning Rules and House Rules

ArcanaGuy
2012-09-28, 05:20 AM
Hello, everyone! My first post on the forums, figured I've lurked enough threads that I should probably join, especially since it occurred to me that you might help me with a problem of mine.

I'm a longtime DM for 3.0, but recently I started a new campaign with some new players, and the subject for this game was 'seafaring'. (to which all my players joyfully cried, "Yay, we can be pirates!") And I dunno why this didn't occur to me before someone jumped into the water, but I had never had to worry about drowning before.

So I looked it up and saw ... that an average person can breath underwater for 2 minutes (assuming combat round = 6 seconds) no matter what he's doing without making a check.

Now, that might be a bad assumption. My group has assumed that for a long time, but I can't find anything in the rules that says *why* we assume that. But regardless! It seems odd to me that drowning happens in the same amount of time no matter what you're doing... so I was wondering if there are any supplements that change these rules, or house-rules that worked particularly well?

My own on-the-spot decision was that staying still took up 1 round of air, being active automatically used up 2 rounds of air, and any especially difficult activity (crawling over the sharply barnacle-encrusted underside of the ship, thus taking damage) caused a fortitude save versus 10+damage or equivalent DC or else lose a third round's worth of air.

TuggyNE
2012-09-28, 06:14 AM
The relevant rule is actually in the Swim skill description.
You can hold your breath for a number of rounds equal to twice your Constitution score, but only if you do nothing other than take move actions or free actions. If you take a standard action or a full-round action (such as making an attack), the remainder of the duration for which you can hold your breath is reduced by 1 round. (Effectively, a character in combat can hold his or her breath only half as long as normal.) After that period of time, you must make a DC 10 Constitution check every round to continue holding your breath. Each round, the DC for that check increases by 1. If you fail the Constitution check, you begin to drown.

ArcanaGuy
2012-09-28, 07:51 AM
Ha-HA! My on-the-fly was pretty much on the mark! Thank you, very much.