PDA

View Full Version : Artificer question

Yaitanos
2012-09-28, 06:30 AM
Okay, so this has come up in my group and we're a little confused about it. Artificers get bonus feats every four levels, and can choose between attune magic weapon, craft construct, exceptional artisan, extra rings, extraordinary artisan, legendary artisan and wand mastery. But that's all it says, it doesn't say you need to meet the prerequisites (like fighters and their bonus feats) or don't have to (like monks). It would be scrumdiliumptious if someone could help with this. Like point me at an errata or official call.

DarkestKnight
2012-09-28, 08:19 AM
I think you have to meet the prerequisites, though I'm sure some people take their pick and run. I know you don't need to meet the requirements of the named bonus feats (the craft: Item ones for example), but these one's you may. I should mention that i only have the book in front of me and none of the errata/faqs on hand.

Aharon
2012-09-28, 09:21 AM
AFB, but I think most of them don't have prereqs anyway? I would enforce them, Artificer's strong enough as is.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-28, 10:39 AM
Since it doesn't specify anything you use the default feat rules, which say that you need to meet a feat's pre-requisite in order to select it.

Deepbluediver
2012-09-28, 11:13 AM
It seems like the question has already been answered, but I was gonna add:
It also doesn't say you DON'T need to meet the prerequisites, like it usually does when that sort of thing is intended (like the Monk bonus feats).

Just because the PHB doesn't specify that humans drown in water it doesn't mean I can breathe like a fish.

Yaitanos
2012-09-28, 04:17 PM
Just because the PHB doesn't specify that humans drown in water it doesn't mean I can breathe like a fish.

Well actually, it does say that humans drown in water.

Deepbluediver
2012-09-28, 04:43 PM
Well actually, it does say that humans drown in water.

Where does it say it? The description of the swim skill? I'm just curious.

Even if it's a poor example, my point was basically that just because something isn't explicity prohibited doesn't mean it's allowed if it would run counter to common-sense.
I'm sure I can come up with more ridiculous scenarios if you like.

TuggyNE
2012-09-28, 06:04 PM

Yep. (Hurray for sometimes odd rules organization, eh?)

Arcanist
2012-09-28, 06:13 PM
Most of the good stuff that he'll get the Artificer already qualifies for... Besides, if you're playing an Omnificer you're already tied for feats so extra rings and other stuff would help to much... This is an opinion of course...

Yaitanos
2012-09-29, 03:53 AM
Well the idea is a war forged artificer who specializes in minor golems. A puppet master. But the tools of war racial variant ability is too good the pass up for the concept, and was just wondering of craft construct could betaken earlier than sixth level. Seems like it can't though, but that no real dent in the plan.

Alienist
2012-09-29, 06:20 AM
Well the idea is a war forged artificer who specializes in minor golems. A puppet master. But the tools of war racial variant ability is too good the pass up for the concept, and was just wondering of craft construct could betaken earlier than sixth level. Seems like it can't though, but that no real dent in the plan.

It is worth noting that when the standard Artificer gets the ability to craft a homunculus (level 4), he does not actually have the ability to craft a homunculus (because Arcane Eye is a 4th level spell, so requires the Artificer to be level 5 to meet the level 7 minimum (including the +2 bonus))

You can do it with assistance though.

Given that, unless you have a burning need for a homunculus at level 5, the Warforged substitution (with Craft Construct as your feat at level 6) is entirely superior (if you were going to take Craft Construct at some point anyway, and why wouldn't you)

NB: craft construct still gives you access to the Improved Homunculus feat, so you're good there.

The real kicker with the Warforged Substitution level is level 5. I could certainly entertain an argument that level 5 isn't worth it, that especially at higher levels Retain Essence is just too good a feature to give up.

dascarletm
2012-09-29, 01:07 PM

Even if it's a poor example, my point was basically that just because something isn't explicity prohibited doesn't mean it's allowed if it would run counter to common-sense.

It's in the DMG pg. 304
Drowning subheading under Water Dangers, also suffocation says if there is no air to breath, water meets those pre-reqs

Yaitanos
2012-09-29, 05:26 PM

I know, and I didn't mean any offense, I was trying to be silly. Course when I posted that I was so stupid tired a chair falling would have been funny to me. But I got your point.