PDA

View Full Version : Godslaying Weapons

Ziggoratt
2012-09-28, 08:49 AM
Hey all.
My DM and I (I being a co-DM of sorts) have recently taken an interest in a new twist for the Campaign to take: The death of the 7 Accursed Gods.

There are 7 Great Gods, 7 Accursed Gods, and 14 Neutral Gods. The Accursed 7 recently won in a war against the 7 Greats, and now hold dominion over the world.

To accomplish this, we've been taking a look into the Weapons of Legacy book in order to create 7 God-Slaying Weapons, each individual weapon having been forged using the power of 1 of the Greats, 1 of the Accursed, and 2 of the Neutral Gods at the dawn of time, scattered across the planes to hide them.

The weapons are as follows:

1. Greatsword - Needs abilities that complement Clerics
2. Twin Kukri - Needs abilities that complement Rogues
3. Two Gems (They'd rest in the palm of two gloves) - Needs abilities that complement Sorcerers
4. Greataxe - Needs abilities that complement Fighter
5. To be decided
6. Longbow - Needs abilities that compliment Ranger
7. Quarterstaff - Needs abilities that compliment Wizard

I need for these weapons to basically put the characters on par with the Gods. By the time we used them, we'd probably be between 18th and 20th level, and the Accursed 7, having been weakened by the campaign's earlier efforts, would no doubt be at 21st or 22nd.

So, the question stands: How do I make these weapons powerful enough to make the characters stand toe-to-toe with the gods?

ArcanaGuy
2012-09-28, 08:52 AM
I would suggest, first, just making them thematically appropriate for whatever gawd they're trying to slay. So we'd need to know *who* the accursed 7 are, and what makes them powerful.

Second, add additional benefits *specifically* when that weapon is used to attack that gawd. Extra damage. That damage cannot be healed by that gawd. Protection against specific powers of that gawd. That sort of thing.

laeZ1
2012-09-28, 08:57 AM
I would suggest, first, just making them thematically appropriate for whatever gawd they're trying to slay. So we'd need to know *who* the accursed 7 are, and what makes them powerful.

Second, add additional benefits *specifically* when that weapon is used to attack that gawd. Extra damage. That damage cannot be healed by that gawd. Protection against specific powers of that gawd. That sort of thing.

I agree completely with this post.

Also...

5. Whip - needs abilities that compliment Bards
or perhaps
5. Quarterstaff - needs abilities that compliment Druids
which would make
7. Scepter/Wand/Stave - needs abilities that compliment Wizards

do either of those options sound appealing?

Deathkeeper
2012-09-28, 08:58 AM
Well, the Staff of the Magi is a pretty good start for the wizard's. Try building off that.
To make things really seem legendary, besides the normal +5 (or +6 for Epic-ness) try adding effects that normally don't exist for weapons, like ability score or resistance buffs. Or you can really get creative with it. For example, what if the greatsword gave the cleric Deathwatch or similar useful spell as long as he's holding it? I mean, it's not a crazy ability, but as a side power it's nice and makes the character just seem more awesome. Just make sure the weapons are weapons only and don't start to be better than the class features.
And trust me, cliches can be very good when making legendary stuff. For example, what if one kukri had Shocking Burst in its repertoire while the other was Thundering? Yeah, maybe not the greatest abilities ever, but it makes them really feel like more of a set.
And for the Sorc, I'd say one acts as a Metamagic rod and the other is a rod of absorbtion. They each do different things but both are awesome. And it's Epic because he's getting those two great powers without needing to hold things.

Trust me, for things like this, it's okay to pull out a fantasy novel or two and look for inspiration.

Slipperychicken
2012-09-28, 09:16 AM
Maybe they use that Violet Rain thing which shuts down divine powers.

Anti-Divine Field? Shuts down SDAs and other Divine qualities, allowing deities to be slain as normal.

Also, killing off the Evil Gods totally screws with the balance of the Good-Evil axis, which should have catastrophic effects, like massive portals to Hell/Abyss opening up because Evil needs to "diffuse" into the Material plane to fill the vacuum. Maybe vastly stronger Evils rise to replace them (countering the newly strengthening Good), and the replacements are way more hardcore in terms of the scale and aggressiveness of their Evil.

danzibr
2012-09-28, 10:08 AM
I find it interesting that some of the weapons are supposed to go well (so to speak) a certain class, while the others are supposed to praise.

I agree with the above posts but... does it make sense for them to be godslaying weapons? I mean, if a good dude, a bad dude and two neutral dudes (or chicks) teamed up to make some weapon, why would it be able to kill a god? Or are they just supposed to be so strong they can kill anything?

Perhaps a better question is how strong these bad gods are.

Piggy Knowles
2012-09-28, 10:16 AM
In my old campaign world, there existed an artifact that had the power to slay gods. It was a crude iron dagger, almost long enough to be a short sword, and was made by the first people who walked the earth before the gods ever did. It conveyed no special properties to the bearer, and in fact was clumsy to use compared to modern weapons (-1 penalty to attacks and damage with it, unable to be enchanted or made masterwork).

But it was from a forgotten day before magic existed in this world, and so it was a thing invisible to the gods. They could not see it and could not touch it, and if it struck them, it would draw blood as though they were as mortal as the first men.

Long story short, to be a godslaying weapon, it doesn't need to convey a lot of fancy bonuses on the wielder. It just needs to slay gods...

LTwerewolf
2012-09-28, 10:19 AM
In my old campaign world, there existed an artifact that had the power to slay gods. It was a crude iron dagger, almost long enough to be a short sword, and was made by the first people who walked the earth before the gods ever did. It conveyed no special properties to the bearer, and in fact was clumsy to use compared to modern weapons (-1 penalty to attacks and damage with it, unable to be enchanted or made masterwork).

But it was from a forgotten day before magic existed in this world, and so it was a thing invisible to the gods. They could not see it and could not touch it, and if it struck them, it would draw blood as though they were as mortal as the first men.

Long story short, to be a godslaying weapon, it doesn't need to convey a lot of fancy bonuses on the wielder. It just needs to slay gods...

Mechanically, this type of weapon would need to bypass damage reduction else be rendered useless.

Piggy Knowles
2012-09-28, 10:31 AM
Mechanically, this type of weapon would need to bypass damage reduction else be rendered useless.

It did - it bypassed all divine damage reduction, ignored miss chances and bonuses to AC from divine sources, and wounds caused by it could not be healed by any divine means (including regeneration and fast healing, as well as the spells and spell-like abilities of deities).

It was more or less worthless to use against anything lacking divine ranks, especially since it couldn't be enchanted, but quite deadly against gods. Several of the deities in the setting bore scars from this knife where they'd been struck and, while the wound wasn't mortal, they were never able to heal it even after centuries and millennia had passed.

Lapak
2012-09-28, 10:33 AM
Trust me, for things like this, it's okay to pull out a fantasy novel or two and look for inspiration.

If it were me, I'd be looking at these two posts. In that the 'godslaying' part doesn't necessarily have to extend past 'a god brought below 0 hit points with one is permanently destroyed.'

For inspiration, a couple of sources you could look at would be Saberhagen's Twelve Swords of Power and Stephen Brust's Taltos novels. In both cases, godslaying weapons have a thematic, unique power that doesn't have anything in particular to do with gods, plus they can kill gods.

Thinking of the Great Weapons from the Taltos books, unless it's written in stone one thing you could do (while still keeping the basics idea of each weapon like the sorcerer's gloves and so on intact) is key each weapon to bypassing a specific deific defense, so that all together they get the job done. I'm inspired here by thinking of Pathfinder and Godslayer as a pair; the one can locate anything, regardless of how it's hidden or defended, and the other can bypass and disrupt magical defenses against physical attack. You could have one of them giving knowledge of a god, a second locating gods, one of them give the ability to transport to where they're hiding, another locking down deities so that they can't flee, one to absorb and prevent offensive Salient Divine Abilities, another that suppresses or disrupts defensive ones, and so on. Basically, any one of them would have a shot but to have a real chance you want all or several of them.

Ziggoratt
2012-09-28, 11:08 AM
I'll address questions one at a time.
First off, I think it's important to explain how the weapons came to be.

In the dawn of time, before the gods began their mighty war, before they had created more than the simplest of mortals, they realized how easy it is to become corrupt, to tip the balance too far one way or the other. Fearing corruption, they combined their powers, crafting 7 weapons, each capable of slaying a god... But these weapons could only be wielded by mortals. That way, a god could not simply take one and attempt to slay their counterpart.

Now, as for the Gods themselves...

The Greats
Goddess of Life - Beia
God of Creation - Miridon
God of Light - Cyripu
Goddess of Love and Mercy - Lizul
Goddess of Happiness - Em'ray
God of Courage and Wisdom - Alerad
Goddess of Selflessness and Humility - Seria

The Accursed
God of Death - Nyszhon
God of Destruction - Athverard
Goddess of Darkness - Ransami
God of Hatred and Wrath - Throuskton
God of Despair - Polec
Goddess of Fear and Ignorance - Kil
Goddess of Greed and Pride - Gexis

The Neutral Twins
(Each of the Neutral Gods has a twin with an opposing Domain)

Gods of Honesty/Deceit - Torl/Narcison
Gods of Lust/Purity - Skel'ana/Hestia
Gods of Time/Eternity - Tas'cheo/Rhoeltorm
Gods of Chaos/Law - Igness/Alean
Gods of Civility/Brutality - Polyenth/Lus'kel
Gods of Power/Weakness - Ight'rothe/Itny
Gods of Element/Spirit - Eletria/Seril

And now the Gods who pitched in for each individual weapon:

1. Greatsword (Alerad, Kil, Torl/Narcison)
2. Twin Kukri (Seria, Gexis, Ight'rothe/Itny)
3. Gems (Miridon, Athverard, Tas'cheo/Rhoeltorm)
4. Greataxe (Lizul, Throuskton, Polyenth/Lus'kel)
5. Spiked Chain (Em'ray, Polec, Skel'ana/Hestia)
6. Longbow (Beia, Nyszhon, Igness/Alean)
7. Quarterstaff (Cyripu, Ransami, Eletria/Seril)

Deathkeeper
2012-09-28, 12:26 PM
Thinking of the Great Weapons from the Taltos books...

Gah, I was trying not to talk about the Great Weapons because of the obvious Pathfinder pun. Oh, well, yours is a quite good description. Although doesn't Godslayer retain its ability to disrupt Offensive magic as well?

NichG
2012-09-28, 12:33 PM
I think it'd be great if the order you killed the Accursed in had an effect as their portfolios leave the world. Its a hard choice: do you kill Death first, in which case you can destroy the other gods but not actually kill them, or do you kill Destruction first, in which case you can kill the other gods but you can't do it by destroying them.

The other five you can take out in whatever order presumably, but those two in particular are a thorny conundrum.

Lapak
2012-09-28, 02:08 PM
I think it'd be great if the order you killed the Accursed in had an effect as their portfolios leave the world. Its a hard choice: do you kill Death first, in which case you can destroy the other gods but not actually kill them, or do you kill Destruction first, in which case you can kill the other gods but you can't do it by destroying them.

The other five you can take out in whatever order presumably, but those two in particular are a thorny conundrum.If I learned anything from reading The Sandman, it's that Death is the last one out the door. Destruction doesn't even outlast Destiny. :smallwink:

Ziggoratt
2012-09-29, 02:24 PM
I like the idea of the order affecting what can be done... But what abilities should the weapons have? What abilities would benefit the individual classes most?

Fouredged Sword
2012-09-30, 07:01 PM
Ok, so powerful and universally useful, but not game breaking or such, but level 20 items none the less.

Ok, all effects from godslaying weapons are ex effects and cannot be dispelled, suppressed, or counter spelled, and remain active in an anti magic field.

The basic format should look like this for something fun, game fitting, and useful
Weapon +5
Passive effect
Active effect
Odd effect

The idea is a weapon made of (good god) that uses (neutral god pair) to defeat (evil god)

Greatsword - Courage and Wisdom - Fear and Ignorance - Honesty/Deceit
The Godslaying greatsword is a weapon of courage and wisdom that uses the power of honesty and deceit to destroy fear and ignorance.

Ok, the greatsword is a +5 Mithral greatsword. The greatsword grants a +6 divine bonus to wisdom, and allows the wielder to add his or her wisdom modifier to all attack and damage roll.
The wielder counts as passing his or her save vs any illusion, charm, or compulsion effects no mater the DC (though secondary effects may still effect the wielder).
The wielder can hear the truth behind any lie (hearing both the lie and the truth being hidden) and thus cannot be lied to.
Once per day the wielder may choose to turn one illusion(figment) effect he or she interacts with into a conjuration effect, effectively turning the illusion into reality. The conjuration effect acts within the bounds of the illusion spell description and vanishes at the end of it's duration (24 hours max), but is in all ways real and can effect the environment or other characters.

Gems - Creation - Destruction - Time/Eternity

The Godslaying gems are weapons of creation that uses the power of time/eternity to defeat destruction.

The gems only function for spontaneous casters.

The wearer of the gems gains all conjuration spells on his class list as spells known. All conjuration spells with a duration are now persisted and have a duration of 24 hours. All conjuration spells without a duration are now quickened.

Ziggoratt
2012-09-30, 07:52 PM
Loving these so far. They're both perfect for what I need ^_^

Any ideas for the others?

Chess435
2012-10-01, 02:39 AM
I'd also either up the weapons to +6 or let them specifically bypass DR of gods since they usually come with DR/epic.

Cespenar
2012-10-01, 07:07 AM
Twin Kukri - Selflessness and Humility, Greed and Pride, Power/Weakness
They are a pair of +5 Kukri. Each time they deal damage to an evil creature, they also deal 2 points of temporary Strength, Dexterity and Constitution damage on the target, and give a same amount of bonus to an ally within 30 feet, which lasts 24 hours. The bonuses stack, to a maximum of 20 for each ally.

Greataxe - Love and Mercy, Hatred and Wrath, Civility/Brutality
This is a +5 Keen Greataxe. It allows the user to fully control his/her feelings and turn from flaming hate to serene pacifism in a second, or vice versa.

First, the weapon have both the Merciful and Vicious enchantments as an addition to its normal powers, but with the caveat that only one of them can be active at a given time. The wielder can switch between as a free action.

Second, the wielder and any allies within 30 feet can, as a swift action, enter Frenzy, as per the Frenzied Berserker ability, with the difference of being able to end it any time as an immediate action, without any saves.

And finally, the wielder can cast Calm Emotions as a spell-like ability, at will.

Longbow - Life, Death, Chaos/Law
This is a +5 Seeking Longbow.

If an enemy within your line of sight would deal enough damage to drop an ally below 0 hit points, the wielder may, as an immediate action, make a ranged attack to that enemy with a +10 divine bonus to the attack roll. If the attack hits, the target must make a DC 30 Fortitude save or be slain, effectively failing to complete his attack.

Also, the wielder can treat any roll of 1 on the attack roll to be a natural 20 instead.

Quarterstaff - Light, Darkness, Element/Spirit
This is a +5 Ghost Touch Quarterstaff

The wielder can turn any damage type dealt within 100 feet to any damage type he or she wishes. For example, the wielder may turn an ally's slashing damage to untyped damage to bypass damage reduction, or turn a red dragon's fire breath to nonlethal damage to avoid death.

Additionally, the wielder can change the ambient light level within 60 feet at will, as a free action.

Kerilstrasz
2012-10-01, 08:16 AM
Since you want these weapons actually be and called GodSlayers,
here's an idea...

treat these weapons as to belong at the same family (crafted by the same person?)
so each & everyone 1 of them have the same ability:

this is only the mechanic of the ability, so adjust the actual effect as you wish...

for each subsequent turn, a target possessing at least 1 divine rank struck
by this weapon, or a weapon of the same family; the target suffers 1 divine rank loss
for 1 minute. Same is true for spells that have been altered by an item of the
same family.

If the target has no divine ranks when struck by this weapon (or an altered spell
by the use of a weapon) of the same family, then the target is affected by "hold person*"
with DC all the divine ranks all the weapons of the same family
"removed" the last 1 hour.

*or another effect of your choice

Ziggoratt
2012-10-01, 08:50 AM
Twin Kukri - Selflessness and Humility, Greed and Pride, Power/Weakness
They are a pair of +5 Kukri. Each time they deal damage to an evil creature, they also deal 2 points of temporary Strength, Dexterity and Constitution damage on the target, and give a same amount of bonus to an ally within 30 feet, which lasts 24 hours. The bonuses stack, to a maximum of 20 for each ally.

Greataxe - Love and Mercy, Hatred and Wrath, Civility/Brutality
This is a +5 Keen Greataxe. It allows the user to fully control his/her feelings and turn from flaming hate to serene pacifism in a second, or vice versa.

First, the weapon have both the Merciful and Vicious enchantments as an addition to its normal powers, but with the caveat that only one of them can be active at a given time. The wielder can switch between as a free action.

Second, the wielder and any allies within 30 feet can, as a swift action, enter Frenzy, as per the Frenzied Berserker ability, with the difference of being able to end it any time as an immediate action, without any saves.

And finally, the wielder can cast Calm Emotions as a spell-like ability, at will.

Longbow - Life, Death, Chaos/Law
This is a +5 Seeking Longbow.

If an enemy within your line of sight would deal enough damage to drop an ally below 0 hit points, the wielder may, as an immediate action, make a ranged attack to that enemy with a +10 divine bonus to the attack roll. If the attack hits, the target must make a DC 30 Fortitude save or be slain, effectively failing to complete his attack.

Also, the wielder can treat any roll of 1 on the attack roll to be a natural 20 instead.

Quarterstaff - Light, Darkness, Element/Spirit
This is a +5 Ghost Touch Quarterstaff

The wielder can turn any damage type dealt within 100 feet to any damage type he or she wishes. For example, the wielder may turn an ally's slashing damage to untyped damage to bypass damage reduction, or turn a red dragon's fire breath to nonlethal damage to avoid death.

Additionally, the wielder can change the ambient light level within 60 feet at will, as a free action.

This one.. Eh, it lacks the strange, obscure-yet-beautifully-epic abilities. Not to say that they're bad in any way, they're just not what I was looking for.

I like the idea of strange weapons with multiple abilities, abilities that give you the power you need to destroy the Gods who created them.

NichG
2012-10-01, 05:54 PM
Here are some random 'bizarre epic effect' ideas to sprinkle in as you like:

Future Guising
This item causes anyone who ever wields it for at least 24 hours to be stricken from the records of time. As such, they are protected from divinations upon the future. Any attempt to see a future made by any being sees only the future that would result as if people affected by this item ceased to exist instantly and were forgotten, as of the moment of the present. As such, their prior actions are part of history, but any future actions or interactions are hidden.

Mimic Blade
This weapon appears to be enchanted with some trivial minor enchantment when initially found. However, it has an interesting power. When used against an opponent, it copies all the enchantments of the opponent's weapon (overwriting previously learned enchantments, but always retaining 'Mimic Blade'). This works even on artifacts. If two Mimic Blade users ever crossed paths, the results are unknown but would be interesting to say the least.

Ephemeral Scalpel
This blade can be used to cut abstract interpretations of visible things. For instance, a person's injuries may be cut in order to heal them. Someone with a high Sense Motive could cut someone's bad mood (as it is visible on their face). Other examples: spell effects with visible manifestations, abilities with visible manifestations (take that Divine Aura!), etc. These abstract things do have hitpoints which must be determined. A wound has hitpoints equal to the amount of damage it corresponds to. Spell effects have hitpoints equal to 5 per spell level. Abilities/etc have hp based on their owner's hp total, equal to 1/5 of said total.

Macular Anomaly
The wielder of this weapon cannot be directly perceived by any being. While one can see them from the corner of their eye (thus identifying what square they're in), any attempt to directly look at them results in a blind spot. As such, they are immune to being targeted by any effect that involves directly selecting a target. Effects that can take place by attacking the target's square (i.e. ranged touch, touch, weapon attacks) suffer a 50% miss chance. This interacts with Blindsight, Lifesight, or other 'ambient' vision effects in a particularly nasty way, totally blinding anyone with Blindsight in range.

Any effect applied to the wielder of this weapon is also applied to the source of the effect, bypassing any resistances or immunities the source might have. This applies to both beneficial and harmful effects. Effects that do not originate from a creature bypass this (so you can still kill this guy by dropping the ceiling on him, for example).

A really abusable one:
Soul Swapping
Whenever this weapon is used to strike someone, the wielder and target exchange one feat of the wielder's choice, ignoring prerequisites on both sides. On a crit, a class ability is exchanged instead.

A really nasty one:
Sign of the Pinnacle (Stat)
Ownership of this weapon defines the peak of ability in a given statistic. So long as the weapon is drawn and wielded, the wielder's value of a given stat is the maximum possible value of that stat, and beings with higher ability scores have their ability score temporarily truncated to that value.

You probably want something like 'minimum 10' to avoid this being a TUK - total universe kill - when the wielder gets taken out via ability damage. Maybe use the base value of the stat pre-enhancement, damage, or drain?

And one from a campaign I played in:
Sword of Ages
This appears to be an ordinary sword hilt with a missing pommel-stone. However, when various things are attached where the pommel-stone should be, they stick in place and the sword manifests a blade inspired by whatever object was used. Thus if you put a piece of lit kindling there, you get a sword of flame; if you put a snake there, you would get a sword that drips poison; if you put a philosopher's stone there, you might get a sword that transforms whatever it strikes into gold. Best used in a campaign where there are all sorts of interesting and mysterious alchemical compounds and magical stones and whatnot.

avr
2012-10-01, 08:13 PM
Re the spiked chain, associated with gods of many different states of mind:

Once per minute, on a hit the wielder may inflict confusion on the target. Save DC=10+1/2 wielders' HD+wielders' CHA bonus, CL= wielders' HD. This effect pierces mind blank, personal mind blank, and any immunity gods may have.

It makes the wielder swift as thought - +6 enhancement bonus to DEX.

As a move action, the wielder may step into the world of dreams to teleport 50', or if someone has teleported away from any space adjacent to them in the last round, they can follow that person to appear in a space adjacent to them.

Fouredged Sword
2012-10-01, 08:14 PM
Ok here is one more. Quarterstaff is a long one, and may need editing down, but I had too many cool ideas.

Quarterstaff - Light - Darkness - Element/Spirit
This quarterstaff appears to be a featureless glass rod around 3/4" thick and 6 ft long. Nothing known can break it, or even mar the perfect surface. It is rounded on each end, and in the dark it glows slightly to the eyes of anyone who has cast arcane spells.

The wielder gain the elemental (light) type and subtype, but retains his or her original type and subetypes as well. All HD of the creature do not change, but the following is applied to the wielder. Any signs of age are washed away and the user glows with a subtle inner light. More directly, his or her eyes are replaced with white, softly glowing orbs.
Unlimited Darkvision.
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, and daze.
Not subject to critical hits or flanking.
Elementals do not eat, sleep, breathe or age. Any age penalties are removed and the user gain +3 to int, wis, and cha as if he or she was Venerable

The user no longer is attached to the moral timeframe, and can now prepare spells without 8 hours of rest. The user can refresh his or her spells per day twice each day with only 15 min of meditation to clear his or her thoughts. The recoveries must be separated by sunrise or sunset. The user can also spend 15 min to rewrite one spell memorized but not cast once per day per point of intelligence modifier.

Also the user no longer take penalties to spot checks due to distance, darkness, and ignores all but total concealment, and has +20 to spot checks.

The wielder gains the access to the fire, water, earth, and air domains, including the domain powers to rebuke elemental, but uses his or her intelligence modifier to control the number and effectiveness of rebuking and counts total HD as cleric HD. (note you have four separate pools or turning and HD controlling). The user can cast any spell of the domain lists by expending the appropriate spell slot (or higher) once per spell level per domain per time the user refreshes his spells.

The user may now spend 1 min per spell level to scribe the stars with a spell. That spell is now forever written in the heavens and the wielder of the godslayer staff may now memorization the spell as if he or she had his or her personal spellbook whenever the stars are in the sky. There is no limit to the number of spells that can be written in the stars. No other creature in existence can even tell what spells have been written in the stars, much less have any hope or reading them.

Ziggoratt
2012-10-01, 09:22 PM
Love the Quarterstaff, and the Spiked Chain idea is very intriguing (although I would like it to have something more to do with its Domains.. Pain and Despair, Bliss and Happiness, Lust/Purity...)

avr
2012-10-01, 09:52 PM
Did my best with the fluff & the confusion covers some, but the spiked chain is a weapon which will be used best by characters trying to lock down a target or area. It doesn't benefit so much from most mind-related buffs or debuffs especially if they require separate actions.

Fouredged Sword
2012-10-01, 10:22 PM
What class is the spiked chain for?

Longbow - Life - Death - Chaos/Law

The Godslayer longbow wasn't made, it was grown. The wood of the bow still lives even now, and is said to have been a limb pruned from the first tree. The string of the bow is a deep black chord that ebbs with darkness. One end of the bow is capped in solid adimantine, the other in flowing mithral.

The bow itself is a +5 "corrosive" longbow that allows the user to add twice his or her full strength bonus to the damage and deals 5d6 damage (half acid, half untyped bypassing all resistance and DR) rather than the normal 1d6 from corrosive. It increases the vigor and senses of the user and adds +2 divine bonus to strength, dexterity, constitution, and wisdom.

The user gains scent out to 100ft, 8 x low light vision, +10 to spot and listen checks, tremorsight 20ft, and is aware of everything within 10ft regardless of how well hidden it is.

An arrow fired from the longbow take on one of the following properties once per round. This magic overrides any magic of the arrows themselves, and removes the corrosive property from the arrows (but not the +5 base enchantment).

Life - The target is wraped in thorny vines the extrude divine poison. The target must make a DC 25 reflex save or strength or be entangled. Each turn the target may make a new save, strength check, or a DC 30 escape artist check as a full round action with a cumulative +2. Each save, pass or fail, digs the poison thorns in deeper, causing 2d6 untyped damage that bypasses all DR, resistance, immunity, and regeneration, and can not be healed except through natural healing or a casting of wish, limited wish, or miracle.

Death - If a death arrow hits a living target the target must make a DC 30 fortitude save or be stunned for 1 round, followed by sickened for 5 rounds, and take 30 damage regardless of the save. Undead, non-living constructs, and other targets who are not alive who fail a DC 30 fortitude save are destroyed (even if they are normally immune to fortitude saves). Targets killed by a death arrow cannot be raised even by the gods and cannot be found in any afterlife.

Law - The arrow does not miss. It scores a hit on the target so long as there is a line of effect between the wielder and the target. The user must be able to specify a particular target, but does not even need to be able to currently see the target. This can only be used once per round.

Chaos - The arrow scores a critical hit and is a touch attack. If the arrow lands, it hits the perfect spot. If the roll would normally be a critical hit, roll to confirm. If the attack is confirmed as a critical hit the target is killed outright by the arrow. No magic (other than the magic of the bow itself) can improve the odds of this critical hit or add bonuses to the confirmation roll, but the skilled make their own luck so feats can alter the odds.

Ziggoratt
2012-10-01, 10:49 PM
The chain is for a Paladin/Blackguard, depending on the alignment of the wielder.

As such, all weapons have both a Yin and a Yang effect, and the effect is determined by the alignment of whosoever wields it. For instance, in the hands of a Good-aligned Cleric, the Greatsword will do as you earlier stated. In the hands of a worshipper of Kil, however, it would do the opposite; Instead of making its master immune to fear, it would give them the ability to inspire fear. Instead of turning illusions into conjurations, it would turn conjurations into illusions.

Etc.