PDA

View Full Version : A Fairy Knight, Construction Aid (D&D 3.5/PF)

Wazirak1
2012-09-28, 01:20 PM
Hello everyone, I recently thought about some books i've read, featuring fairies, riding upon dragonflies, or such, with lances and plate armor and I got inspiration. I've looking to use the atomie, from the pathfinder bestiary 3, page 28, and the knight class from the player's handbook 2 (I Could -easily- be convinced to change the class, but the race is set.) I want to make her effective in combat, despite her diminutive size, and while I know I may get suggestions to just play a rogue, that is not what I want. As such, Min/maxing towards this theme would be acceptable, as her size will be harming her damage output already. A Note, I believe that Strongarm braces would greatly aid in this respect.

starting level is 8. No psionics, incarnum, tome of magic or battle.

mistformsquirrl
2012-09-28, 01:36 PM
Neat idea! I can't offer a whole lot of help; except that class-wise, have you considered the Cavalier from the Pathfinder Advanced Player's guide? I'm not particularly familiar with the class, but on first blush it looks like exactly what you'd want for this kind of character.

Just a thought anyway, good luck!

Wazirak1
2012-09-28, 01:39 PM
I just looked at the class features and I like it, Still need a bit more, a base class is a start though- I'm even open to personality suggestions, as I want this character to not make my party members feel as if I'm just trolling them terribly xD, though...can't say that for the enemies! Also, perhaps exalted featz?

Metahuman1
2012-09-28, 04:12 PM
Well, to be blunt, you REALLY want Tome of Battle and maybe Psionics+Incarnum for this concept.

The maneuvers form Tome of Battle will go a very long way toward mitigating the damage loss from being pocket sized. Personally, a level of Warblade to pick up some things like Mountain Hammer, the Diamond Mind Concentration - in-place-of-save counters and a couple of the Nice Iron Heart counters like Wall of Blades and of course Iron Heart Surge also improves your survivability. From there, take Crusader with Devoted Spirit and White Raven. Maybe a little bit of Dragonfire Inspiration Bard on top of that, and you'll have damage and party support covered, and the party will love the help form the Bardic Music and White Raven+Devoted Spirit maneuvers.

Psionics + Incarnum gives you Incarnum Recharge trick to keep from running out of PP and some useful self buffs, particularly compression. Start with a Pixie or a Petal as a race, and you can use augmented Compression + Incarnum Recharge to theoretically keep yourself Fine size category 24/7.

Now, for a mount, I personally like an animated object that's made of Riverine and Diminutive Size Category that's had as many movement modes as possible build in so that your not an impediment to the party getting places, and even maybe beneficial too them on that. This gives you lot's of mobility, makes it so that you don't have to waste time and forethought into taking care of a delicate mount, and you don't have to really protect it form much.

Oh, and you'll want some str boosters so that you can get PA, if possible, get shock trooper, and either then jack str up as much as possible or get Dex to hit and damage with your lance. How I don't know, but if you can find away, go for it.

Lastly, Either find a LOT of con boosters, or find a few, and get another stat to boost HP. I like a re fluffed Ritual of blood form one of the Eberron books. Maybe a vow taken as joining an order of fey knights gives you the Cha to HP trick.

Edit: Though if you can get enough spells per day to not have to worry about them, a Magus or a Duskblade could work too for your damage output.

mistformsquirrl
2012-09-28, 04:33 PM
Personality-wise; here's what I'd suggest:

First and foremost:

Be a knight before anything else. Be chivalrous, noble and upstanding - but never accept an insult to your honor. They may laugh a bit when your pint-sized powerhouse challenges them to a duel, but they'll change their tune when you win.

As a faerie, remember the more serious side of the fae - your people have thousands of years of tradition behind you; those traditions may in some cases be incomprehensible to humans* but nevertheless they're there. Consider looking at the Seelie and Unseelie courts, maybe see if your DM will let you pick one to serve as a questing knight. That could get you some interesting and fun roleplaying from time to time.

Essentially, your job is to remind people that the fae aren't all pranks and silliness; when they go to war it's every bit as serious as it is for the bigger folk.

None of which says you have to be grim or anything; just remember that as a knight you're set apart from random pixies and sprites - you have duties to attend that are larger (in a very real sense) than the average fae needs to worry about.

----

Just an idea there.

*Elves on the other hand might just 'get it' to a degree, though you'll probably feel toward them how elves often feel toward humans.

Fable Wright
2012-09-28, 05:11 PM
I remember seeing a similar character concept before, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12452445&postcount=33) (and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12998181&postcount=122)). Though, I think that mistformsquirrl's idea would be awesome to roleplay.

Wazirak1
2012-09-28, 06:51 PM
Grand ideas, everyone- As for the low maintenence mount, what about a spirit animal- using the template from frostburn to make some form incorporeal creature which she can ride, and having it bear some sort of ghost-touched saddle and reins? I wish there was a dragonfly =/...Perhaps a pseudodragon? Mayhap, as for the personality bit, That sounds awesome, though I'd like to note that, oddly enough, Atomies are apparently the smallest of the small fey, not counting the petals. And shimmerlings.

As for damage outfit, and class options, I imagine her charisma will be high, so perhaps a two level dip into paladin for divine grace? Orrr, I could kind of flavor her with the slayer of domiel, using the fact she is diminutive size to her advantage to get sneak attacks, also comes with divine grace and death touch- an attack that doesn't care for size

mistformsquirrl
2012-09-28, 06:54 PM
Hrm... dragonfly... gonna take a look at something >.< I has a theory but I may be off base

mistformsquirrl
2012-09-28, 07:05 PM
Alrighty, here's an idea:

Use the statistics for a regular everyday Eagle, then give it the Vermin traits and boom, big dragonfly! How's that sound? (I'm going by the 3.5e monster manual version)

Wazirak1
2012-09-28, 07:06 PM
sounds splendid! Also also, hmmmm.....Well, I would then need to take vermin trainer, yes? From drow of the underdark. otherwise it'd be a pretty, uh,...unreliable mount! :P

Wazirak1
2012-09-28, 07:07 PM
waaait, phase wasp! DERP!
it's a flying insect, magical beast, can see invisibility and shoot magic missiles. and it's tiny, perfeeect!

mistformsquirrl
2012-09-28, 07:09 PM
Oh <@.@> Yeah that's a good idea too

Zombulian
2012-09-28, 07:09 PM
There's also the Knight Handbook. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109429)

Wazirak1
2012-09-28, 07:16 PM
I appreciate the link, but my investment in night is merely superficial, if neccesary at all- the class is great, and all, but A- I -don't- want to use mettle and die, B- bulwark of defense, one of the best class features, in my opinion (other than the capstone) is useless on this race)

Wazirak1
2012-09-28, 08:24 PM
And I was reading pathfinder: advanced player's guide, and I came upon the phalanx fighter and I thought, there we have it, good shield, and polearm in one hand- which would allow me to use a longaxe, benefitting from the 2-die higher weapon damage, and still have armor, do you all think a tower shield would be worth the -2 on attack rolls, I think it'd be balanced by the +4 from diminutive size

Zombulian
2012-09-28, 09:07 PM
Well I mean I think if you can focus real hard on AC or something, then making people attack you would be pretty great. And being what, Diminutive? You'll already be pretty dang hard to hit.

avr
2012-09-29, 12:04 AM
You could alternately go barbarian & get the spirit totem rage power line. Works well with a high charisma.

For RP, either short man syndrome and/or play up the talking to spirits.

The Titan Mauler archetype would assist in using normally-sized weapons, or the Urban barbarian for more knightly class skills.

Wazirak1
2012-09-29, 09:07 AM
I'm thinking I prefer to steer clear of barbarian. I prefer a stability of combat to the "If you're in a bad position, you'll be a bit better" Plus, rage is not too beneficial to me, as it reduces the effect of my size. Though, it does boost my stats.

Metahuman1
2012-09-29, 02:44 PM
Don't forget, if you use a lance and charge while mounted, you deal x3 damage. So, you know, flat damage boosters can go a long way toward making those hits really, really, really dangerous for most opponents to take, particularly more then one of at a time/over the course of a fight.

TuggyNE
2012-09-29, 04:40 PM
Don't forget, if you use a lance and charge while mounted, you deal x3 damage. So, you know, flat damage boosters can go a long way toward making those hits really, really, really dangerous for most opponents to take, particularly more then one of at a time/over the course of a fight.

Oh, the wonderful world of damage multipliers. Spirited Charge, lance, valorous weapon enhancement, and so forth. Crank up Power Attack damage (which can be gained without Str prerequisite from several dips) and go to town with lots of damage... just make sure not to overdo it.

Wazirak1
2012-09-29, 06:09 PM
What about underfoot combat, +4 ac against large or larger opponents, occupy their space, good for harrying them?

Metahuman1
2012-09-29, 06:21 PM
With a single dip into one of a couple of classes and a couple of flaws, you can have mounted combat, ride by attack, spirited charge, power attack (Sans Str requirements.) and Shock Trooper online by level 2-3.

If you focus your defenses on having a really, really high static Miss chance, like 80% minimum, with 85% 90% 95% preferred greatly, and on having no shortage of, you can mostly get by with dumping most or all your AC into Power Attack. Doing two handed makes it 6 Damage per 1 AC dropped. Heck, if you pick up the Item Familiar Feat and designate the lance or make a custume affiliation, you could either increase the rate PA itself trades AC to Damage, or Increase the charge multiplier, or both.

Dip Spirit Lion totem Barbarian for 1 lvl and you get pounce, so you can full attack on that charge. Make sure the mount is REALLY mobile though.

If you wanna be particularly cruel, dip Binder, and jack up your ability to bind vestige's until you get Paimon as an option, then just pick up travel devotion and some turn undead for some serious ability to mess with large groups of mooks.

Endelehia
2012-09-29, 06:32 PM
Yeah,underfoot combat is an excellent feat for your idea,also the +4 applies to anyone when you are under a larg-er creatures.

You might also wanna take a look at the Blade Bravo from races of stone.It provides nice synergy to your build,though it is a bit more rogue-ish.Only gnomes can enter that prestige,but you can bypass it by advancing in the Stoneblessed (you don't meet the racial prerequisite either).

If your DM is willing to overlook one of those,i think it can be a solid choice.

Wazirak1
2012-09-29, 06:33 PM
I would like to avoid too much multiclassing, but thank you for the suggestions.

Metahuman1
2012-09-29, 07:12 PM
For my last suggestion, your looking at 1 1 lvl dip for Power Attack and 1 1lvl dip for Pounce, and then later 1 1 lvl dip for binding if you want to be able to take it to more then one target at a time.

That's 3 dips, for 3 lvls total, out of a 20lvl progression. I garontee, that pretty much any base class that's worth even using for something other then a dip is gonna do just fine with that. Heck, you could theoretically Use Binder or Barbarian if you really wanted too for my suggestion and just dip one of the two and then another dip for Power attack, reducing it to two Dips for a total of two levels out of a 20 lvl progression.

And if the DM is ignoring Racial requirements on feats, I like Races of the Wilds Confound the Big Folk better myself. Something fun about giving the enemy what boils down to a heads or tails to hit you or himself every time he swings at you.

And if you use a tower shield for total cover and grab a lesser cloak of displacement and a Ring of Blinking/Blurr (Which ever it is that gives a 20% Miss Chance.), you should be able to almost entirely avoid getting hit on almost every swing coming your way. That means AC can be more safely used with Shock Trooper to fuel PA.

And again, don't forget flaws. a couple of minor ones go a long way by granting bonus feats. I like vulnerable and maybe a homebrew one that's more personality related, maybe something about a code of honor or an overly chivalrous nature, (Which could be adorable/hilarious when he has to defend a ladys honor, just off the top of my head. ;) )

Wazirak1
2012-09-29, 10:42 PM
Thank you, And as for flaws I don't believe they're being allowed by my dm, as he likes to keep feats as per norm, else I'd take them in a flash xD.

Jeff the Green
2012-09-30, 05:45 AM
For a mount, I'll point you to three things. First is Animal Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), which is a feat that will grant you something like an animal companion? There's also the silverwood outrider (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031202a) PrC that improves it.

Second is this article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040705a), which sets out rules for vermin animal companions. Since Wild Cohort draws from the animal companion list, you can use it to get a vermin. No dragonfly, unfortunately. You could get a hawk or raven and refluff as a giant dragonfly.

Finally, something like Arcane Hierophant could be fun. Be a duskblade and pick up Precocious Apprentice and Obtain Familiar. Something like Duskblade 3/Druid 3/Arcane Hierophant 10/Druid X. Devoted Tracker does basically the same thing, but for Rangers and Paladins. For that route I'd say go Cleric 4/Ranger 1/Prestige Paladin 2/Cleric x. Pick up Holy Mount for this if you can.

Regarding fluff, you could play up the fact that fay are hyperliteral. Anything pe promises he will do. He's a rules lawyer and makes genie-worthy deals. He won't accept a gift because doing so would force him to do whatever the giver wants in payment. On the other hand, he'll try to offer gifts that entitle him to the recipients services.

Wazirak1
2012-09-30, 09:26 AM
Thank you indeed for your aid, out of interest how do you think this character would be received in the underdark?...>.>

Mystral
2012-09-30, 10:57 AM
I don't know, which sauce goes best with pixies? ^^

Could you mention which books inspired you? I might be interested to read them.

Wazirak1
2012-09-30, 11:20 AM
It's been a while since the previous inspirations were read, but I do remember one- knights of brettonia, a warhammer book. at one point they run into some cute little fairies who drive off woodland creatures!

Mystral
2012-09-30, 11:24 AM
Oh, I read that one, too. They are more playing knights, though, and prefer fighting with tooth and nail if I remember correctly.

Wazirak1
2012-09-30, 01:05 PM
Yes, I do recall that- though I recall, probably from different books, the more chivalrous fey- mayhap I still like the concept though, as it has been said, I'll need damage multipliers badly, Diminutive is brutal on weapon damage, a greataxe for their size would do only d6 =/

Wazirak1
2012-09-30, 01:21 PM
oooh, Faerun campaign setting's imp familair feat has pseudodragon on it, perhaps I could do a gestalt build? the dm said it was doable, And mix duskblade with...something, and grab imp familiar and acquire familiar, perfect sized mount, good armor....!

Metahuman1
2012-09-30, 03:28 PM
Gestalt will defiantly make your life so very much easier.

I personally like the Archivist for this to Gestalt with a Duskblade. Use Summon monster/Natures Ally for disposable mounts, use a one level cleric dip on one side to get DMM: Persist set up, and persist an awesome series of buffs. Oh, and don't forget an exploit like the absorption spell to make sure your never short a touch attack spell to channel for extra damage!

Arutema
2012-10-01, 12:59 AM
Looking at pure Pathfinder options, how do you feel about scimitars? Your damage dice won't be anythign special, but with the Dervish Dance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dervish-dance-combat) feat, you can ignore your Str and add Dex to damage. For more fun, just go pure fighter to pile weapon training and specialization onto your scimitar damage.

Alternatively, depending on your starting wealth, pickup an Agile (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons#TOC-Agile) light weapon of your choice, then start Piranha Striking (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/piranha-strike-combat) with it. Again, no need for Str. Getting extra damage from fighter's class features is still great.

The fighter's armor training also lets you apply more of the Atomie's high dex while in heavy armor.

Alternatively, stick with an agile weapon/dervish dance and go paladin. the Atomie has good Cha, which lets you smite things extra-hard.

nedz
2012-10-01, 04:02 AM
Dip Sorcerer and take Improved Familiar.
Chose something like Celestial Hawk, Small Air Elemental or Psuedodragon.
Well Psuedodragon really: fly 60' (good), Blindsense (60'), Telepathy (60').
Oh and you get a couple of spells.

Wazirak1
2012-10-01, 08:29 AM
Improved familiar pseudo requires arcane caster lvl 7th, meaning a 'dip' wouldn't grant the required level, though if I used duskblade and acquire familiar I would be able to stay combat effective, while having my mount.

Additionally, I could take battlecaster to boost the armored mage cf to heavy armor.

nedz
2012-10-01, 09:23 AM
Improved familiar pseudo requires arcane caster lvl 7th, meaning a 'dip' wouldn't grant the required level, though if I used duskblade and acquire familiar I would be able to stay combat effective, while having my mount.

Additionally, I could take battlecaster to boost the armored mage cf to heavy armor.

Oops, OK 3 levels of Duskblade, Practised Spellcaster, and 4 levels of something else.

Actually you can have the Hawk at 3rd, and the elemental at 5th.

Wazirak1
2012-10-01, 09:25 AM
I'd rather not ride a bird, I want to be able to say "Knight-Lady Such-and-such the Dragonrider Supreme!" and strike fear into my enemy's hearts!

nedz
2012-10-01, 10:52 AM
I'd rather not ride a bird, I want to be able to say "Knight-Lady Such-and-such the Dragonrider Supreme!" and strike fear into my enemy's hearts!

Well it is a Hawk, which are predators.

Axier
2012-10-01, 12:34 PM
Well it is a Hawk, which are predators.

Pseudodragons make for better company. They are intelegent, so they are also less likely to do something stupid, and its a **** dragon... like thing...

Metahuman1
2012-10-01, 01:22 PM
Just a heads up, a female knight would use the title "Dame", in place of the male counter part using "Sir". They would not be addressed as "Lady" Unless they also had a Lady's Title among the nobility or unless they are being addressed by someone who's not properly familiar with the titles they should be using to address her.

And something else has occured to me.

You could always build a gold standard Sorcadin.

Paladin 2/Sorcerer 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Excorsist 8.

With Improved Familiar and a Lance or the Scimitar with the above trick + a few touch spells and a hearty Cha mod, you could be in pretty good shape.

things to ask for.

Ritual of Blood form one of the eberron books: Ok, so Con still has a purpose to fuel Concentration checks, but at this point Cha is running the rest of the show by fueling hp and thanks to Paladin's Divine Grace class feature your fort save! Will probably have to refluff the ritual.

Sparked and Unseelie Fey Templates: The latter will require a ruling on the DM's part that you arn't required to play evil and possibly a refluff depending on what Fey Court your part of, but both will be cool to have, particularly since they'll boost your Cha for no additional LA.

And hey, if you happen to grab Petals as your race, you walk away with a +12 Cha. Not to shabby. Less so if you happen to work in something to get treated as a Giant long enough to have an artificer use there return to nature infusion on you. Say hello to Fine size! (And for grins and giggles, this means your Tiny Familiar is as good too you as a Hugh creature would be to a Medium one.)