PDA

View Full Version : Best Use of the Spell Alter Self in PF

XianTheCoder
2012-09-28, 02:04 PM
Got my Level 3 Transmuter primed and ready to use Alter Self to it's fullest extent. What are peoples favorite humanoids to transform into?

Psyren
2012-09-28, 03:31 PM
I can't actually help answer your question (I'm not as familiar with the Bestiary as I should be) but I just wanted to leave this here in the hopes that it jogs someone else's memory.

PF Alter Self gets you:

- any of the four abilities listed (swim up to 30, low-light, darkvision up to 60, scent) that the new form possesses
- +2 Str for Medium and +2 Dex for Small forms

It also incorporates the polymorph subschool rules, which means that there's a number of other potential benefits not listed in the spell text. These are:

- +10 disguise checks when impersonating a creature of that type
- natural armor bonus of the new form
- base speed of the new form
- natural attacks of the new form
- water-breathing (if your new form has a swim speed)

Finally, you can choose whether or not to allow any other polymorph spells to affect you while under the effects of one. So if someone hits you with Baleful Polymorph for example, you can suppress it for Alter Self's duration. But you also lose any special qualities that depend on your original form/race, e.g. racial darkvision.

Again, I don't know what the best creature would be to take advantage of all that, but hopefully someone else does.

Paul H
2012-09-28, 05:13 PM
Hi

My Magus uses it to transform into himself, for the extra +2 Size mod to Str. (Stacks with Enhancement Mods).

For other stuff he uses Monstrous Physique I (3rd vl spell), That's what gives all the nice situational fluff.

But Alter Self is cool until then.

Thanks
Paul H

Ravens_cry
2012-09-28, 05:22 PM
Yeah, transforming into your own race pretty good use, it gives a fairly uncommon boost. Only a small one, but a good one.
Getting a swim speed can potentially be a life saver.
It's also a most excellent disguise for more uncommon races and even monsters. Becoming a humanoid is an excellent way for, say, a dragon to scope out a town without drawing undo attention.

Paul H
2012-09-28, 05:25 PM
Hi

Now, if the Transmuter has Enlarge Person available - melee type's bestest friend in the world? (Unless they're finesse types)

Thanks
Paul H
Edit: And it's a boost that stacks with others! Yayayayayay! :P

Psyren
2012-09-28, 05:47 PM
Hi

Now, if the Transmuter has Enlarge Person available - melee type's bestest friend in the world? (Unless they're finesse types)

Thanks
Paul H
Edit: And it's a boost that stacks with others! Yayayayayay! :P

Am I missing something? Polymorph subschool in PF says:

In addition, other spells that change your size have no effect on you while you are under the effects of a polymorph spell.

It sounds like Enlarge Person wouldn't do anything.