PDA

View Full Version : Death's Chosen?

Hiro
2012-09-28, 03:34 PM
Is there anyway to build up a character who focuses entirely toward trying to become a "reaper" like a manifestation of death itself

I have all the books for 3.5e available but I'd rathe rleave out Tob MoI and ToM (too damn confusing for me)

and I was looking for someone who was still alive but had a very close brush with the power of death and through the use of a contingencied wish spell on a pendant. they absorb some of the essence of it, gaining a modicum of power with it.

But as a result: the person becomes possessed by a need to periodically end people.

kardar233
2012-09-28, 03:46 PM
Try the Thief of Life PrC from FoE.

rweird
2012-09-28, 08:48 PM
What level do you want this to be for?

Slipperychicken
2012-09-28, 09:58 PM
I can see a Cleric or Favored Soul coming out of this backstory. Becoming an avatar of the supernatural is pretty much their whole deal. Even if the Reaper isn't a legit diety, you can still worship the ideal of Death (picking whatever domains fit the concept best).

Crusader is possible too, just smacking people to death (i.e. the Old Fashioned way). Really tanky, full BAB, maneuvers.

I don't need to tell you to carry a scythe as your melee weapon, because it's freaking awesome and if you don't, Death will facepalm and look at you like "dafuq bruh? :smallannoyed:". Besides, what other farming tool gets to be the chosen weapon of Death Itself?

BowStreetRunner
2012-09-28, 11:42 PM
Crusader is possible too, just smacking people to death (i.e. the Old Fashioned way). Really tanky, full BAB, maneuvers.

Don't forget, the Ruby Knight Vindicator is by RAW a worshipper of Wee Jas (the Greyhawk deity of death) and goes really well on a Cleric/Crusader framework.

Besides, the Ruby Knight "Windicator" is just a really awesome class to play! :smallcool:

Kuulvheysoon
2012-09-29, 12:05 AM
Don't forget, the Ruby Knight Vindicator is by RAW a worshipper of Wee Jas (the Greyhawk deity of death) and goes really well on a Cleric/Crusader framework.

Besides, the Ruby Knight "Windicator" is just a really awesome class to play! :smallcool:

Is there anyway to build up a character who focuses entirely toward trying to become a "reaper" like a manifestation of death itself

I have all the books for 3.5e available but I'd rathe rleave out Tob MoI and ToM (too damn confusing for me)

and I was looking for someone who was still alive but had a very close brush with the power of death and through the use of a contingencied wish spell on a pendant. they absorb some of the essence of it, gaining a modicum of power with it.

But as a result: the person becomes possessed by a need to periodically end people.

Funny enough, there's a Prestige Class that fits this almost perfectly. Death Delver, from Heroes of Horror, even has 'must have had a brush with death' as a Special prerequisite.

Although the flavour fits perfectly, the class itself... isn't all that great. Note that it was a recent Iron Chef Ingredient.

Slipperychicken
2012-09-29, 12:41 AM
A Sorcerer pumping out metamagic'd Enervations might do it too. Negative levels = HD means instant death, and is even powered by negative energy. Negative levels are especially harsh on casters (losing your highest-level slots hurts). It can get overpowered if you optimize it hard enough and your enemies aren't immune, though. When not Enervating, this guy would probably use "conventional" blasting like metamagic'd Orbs to lay down the damage. Spend some spells known on control, if you don't already have a dedicated controller, but do have spells known to spend.

Fable Wright
2012-09-29, 02:01 AM
Duskblade/Dread Necromancer, all the way. The method of occasionally ending people? Cleave their souls from their bodies with an unholy fusion of black magic and your scythe. At higher levels, you can just rip their souls from their bodies with a Slay Living, but at lower levels you can just cleave out part of their souls and cripple them. A Channeled Bestow Curse? You could fluff that in any number of ways. Sever the connection between the soul and body to halve their actions. Sever the soul from {Insert body part here} when decreasing a stat with the spell. You could also go with a retributive death concept with the low level Save or Dies- Blinding those whose visions took them down the path they shouldn't have gone, hobbling the fighting of the man so confidant in his fighting he never turned back a challenger, taking away half of the time on earth of the man who would move as fast as he could. Or just paralyze and kill them. Other nifty features include an built-in mechanism for visiting horrible plagues upon cities, an aura that instills foes with the fear of death itself, and denying a peathful afterlife to any who try to flee his judgement. A build as simple as Duskblade 3/Dread Necromancer 8/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 4 ends up with a +16 BAB, and 9th level spells via Versatile Spellcaster, and would fit with the concept well.

Clovis
2012-09-29, 07:27 AM
...play Belkar, aka 'Death's lil' helper'... :smallbiggrin: