PDA

View Full Version : Spellthief feats

Archmage1
2012-09-28, 08:39 PM
I am currently playing a spellthief in a mid-power campaign
(other players are a DMM cleric, a sorc/wiz ultimate magus, and a monk/drunken master)

My character so far has been the main damage dealer, due to sneak attack, but I have more or less ran out of ideas for useful/relevant feats.

Enemies are significantly higher level than we are
examples: an epic level lich, a greater doppleganger/assasin 15, and a nymph/bard/assassin with a blinding beauty dc of 29

I currently have great fortitude from races of war, lightning reflexes from the same source, craven, the twf tree, master spellthief, and weapon finess.

I was thinking darkstalker, but so far, there have been no enemies it would be effective against. Are there any other good options?

silverwolfer
2012-09-28, 08:45 PM
Core:
Weapon Finesse: If you put Dex as high on the totem pole as I recommended, this is a must-have.

Manyshot: The Manyshot tree is excellent if you're going for a skirmisher sort of Spellthief. Greater Manyshot plus a number of flatfooted or Dex-denied foes means that you can sneak attack a lot of them and thieve from them all at the same time.

TWF: The TWF tree is also remarkably decent for a Spellthief. More sneak attacks means more chances to thieve. Thieving is your lifeblood, and is therefore rather nifty.

Complete Adventurer:
Razing Strike: This feat will let you burn some of your spell slots to affect constructs (since you're an arcane caster). Worth it if you can't (or don't want to) invest in the Golemstrike spell.

Complete Arcane:
Double Wand Wielder: This certainly has its uses, but the Craft Wand prerequisite is pretty worthless for you.

Reckless Wand Wielder: You've got a lot of wands, certainly. You may burn through uses a bit faster, but let's be honest: they're there to be spent. Heightening wand-cast spells will certainly help out.

Complete Mage:
Invisible Needle: If you've got a force spell of 3rd or 4th available to you to cast, you can throw tiny darts that deal 1d4 and go 15 or 20 feet. Not bad, but not excellent. Still, they work against incorporeal foes, which may be a deal setter.

Metamagic Spell Trigger: Excellent if you take, say, Quicken Spell, Split Ray, Twin Spell, or similar.

Ranged Recall: You'll be making a lot of ranged attacks with rays and the like, so this is terrific. A second chance to hit (even at –5) is quite often very worthwhile.

Complete Scoundrel:
Concussion Attack: Not worth it. You have better ways to spend sneak attack dice.

Deafening Strike: Circumstantially good. Probably a skipper.

Disemboweling Strike: If you go TWF and have Wounding weapons, this could give you some extra oomph. Otherwise, skip it.

Eldritch Erosion: Not worth it. At all.

Good Karma: Coupled with Absorb Spell, this is a lifesaver for you and your friends. Someone zaps the fighter with a Ray of Enfeeblement? Suck it into yourself, then absorb it and return fire with it next round.

Head Shot: You won't qualify for it without multiclassing until level 16, at which point you should have better feats to get.

Impeding Attack: If this included attack rolls, it'd be worth it. As it is, nah.

Master Spellthief: Terrific for multiclassing. Terrific in general, really, since it makes your caster level be equal to your class level instead of half your class level, and lets you ignore ASF on stolen spells.

Merciful Strike: If you really need non-lethal Sneak Attack, use a sap or a Merciful weapon.

Mind Drain: Surprisingly effective against Psions. For a –1d6 SA reduction, you drain power points equal to their Manifester Level. Problem is, you need a PP reserve, to take Wild Talent or be a psionic race (like Xeph or Dromite). Remarkably, this is not a mind-affecting effect, so fire at will.

Persistent Attacker: Lets you thieve from a foe you sneak attack twice! You can qualify at 13th level, so it'll have to be a 15th feat gain. Still, it's good.

Throat Punch: Terrific against foes who need verbal components. Still, rather situational, and unless your DM sends lots of humanoid spellcaster foes at you, this could probably be skipped.

Unbelievable Luck: If you take Good Karma, take this. Otherwise, you can avoid it.

Heroes of Battle:
Coordinated Shot: Good for the Manyshotter Spellthief.

Archmage1
2012-09-28, 08:53 PM
Unfortunately, most of those are feats not to take, rather than feats to take. current build is a melee spellthief, so the ranged attack feats area a poor choice.

I did, in fact, read the guide before this, looking for tips, but, well, they don't look that good to me.(at least, the ones that I don't have already)

dantiesilva
2012-09-28, 09:12 PM
Quick draw+flick of the wrist x returning daggers = fun sneak attack spell stealing attacks that keep you out of harms way.

Travel devotion, move your full speed as a swift action then full attack.

Ambidexterity another -2 taking off of them pesky penalties for two weapon fighting

Blindfight

Trust me I used some of these in two of the people I made, both we have meet, one friendly.

Improved initiative is always a good one

TRICKERY DEVOTION for fun

Luck devotion, are rolls have been below average alot of the time

Destruction devotion making it always easier for you to hit them

hope this helps my friend

silverwolfer
2012-09-28, 09:30 PM
this may be wierd, but what about a splash in binder for more options?

Archmage1
2012-09-28, 09:34 PM
Well... Quick draw + flick of the wrist looks interesting, but the once per opponent makes me sad. Just buying a ring of blinking serves the same purpose, but it is all the time.
Travel devotion: Looks nice, but once per day makes me sad. If hidden, just move, and wait. If not, hide.
Ambidexterity: not ported to 3.5, it is the twf tree.
blindfight: already have counters to blind, besides, it still denies sneak attacks against concealed opponents, which makes it more or less useless.

dantiesilva
2012-09-28, 09:37 PM
Travel devotion for the rest of your feats...i dont know hold on

Archmage1
2012-09-28, 09:44 PM
Sadly, I don't have the tome of magic, which makes building a binder a bit tricky.

eggs
2012-09-28, 10:09 PM
Staggering Strike and Godsblood Spelltheft are among the first handful of feats I'd look at for any spellthief, but I don't see either mentioned in this thread.

Spuddles
2012-09-28, 10:25 PM
What level are you? Martial study: teleport thing, Martial Stance: Assassin's Stance (+2d6 sneak attack), and Shadow Blade (dex to damage when in a shadow hand stance, in addition to str) are all pretty nice.

You could also go into shadow pouncing with that. It would be feat heavy, of course.

Archmage1
2012-09-28, 10:27 PM
We have some winners. Thanks for the help.

currently 1 xp away from level 12
(apparently fighting epic enemies at level 10 results in lots of XP :smallbiggrin:)

Archmage1
2012-09-28, 10:34 PM
Looks like gods blood spellthief followed by martial maneuvers is the best plan here. Thanks for the help.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-09-28, 10:49 PM
A feat that I really quite like is Godsblood Spelltheft (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606).

IT's pretty easy to port out of the Realms - just talk with your DM to figure out which gods it could apply to. Make sure to grab a domain with useful spells.

EDIT: Damn, spellthief'd by eggs.

Archmage1
2012-09-28, 10:53 PM
Yep. Looks like the godsblood spellthief, and the shadow hand maneuvers are the way to go here.