PDA

View Full Version : Help finding items for a hedonistic sadist character [3.5]

Siege Tower
2012-09-28, 09:23 PM
I'm making my very first high level character and damn is it hard. I have 360,000 gold and have no idea what to do with it. My character is a dexterous whip-master and thus can't get any armor that would ruin her +6 DEX bonus. So I have piles upon piles of money and need to know what sadistic/hedonistic/ painful/pleasurable things I could have her posses. They don't at all have to be good, just thematic.

tbok1992
2012-09-28, 09:45 PM
Book of Vile Darkness would be your best bet, given how heavily it features S&M stuff (Because apparently Safe, Sane and Consensual doesn't exist in Greyhawk). The Pain Extractor, Pipe of Grief, Piercing Needles of Pain, Tongue Studs of Hell Breath and the Fleshshifter armor seem like good bets. Also, pick up the NIPPLE CLAMP OF EXQUISITE PAIN if you want a good laugh from your party.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-28, 10:11 PM
I'm making my very first high level character and damn is it hard. I have 360,000 gold and have no idea what to do with it. My character is a dexterous whip-master and thus can't get any armor that would ruin her +6 DEX bonus. So I have piles upon piles of money and need to know what sadistic/hedonistic/ painful/pleasurable things I could have her posses. They don't at all have to be good, just thematic.

Armor only affects your attack roll if you aren't proficient in its use. It's still better to have the dex bonus than a high armor bonus to ac, but as long as you're proficient any armor is a-okay.

After you get your basic equipment (AC boosters, cloak of resistance, ability booster items for your primary stat and con, etc) you should've put a pretty fair size dent in that 360,000.

Have you already covered the basics?

Siege Tower
2012-09-28, 10:15 PM
I have yet to purchase anything because the highest level I've ever gotten character is 7 prior to this. I'm sorta a noob. :smallfrown:

tbok1992 your suggestion was awesome. I love you in a platonic way.

Siege Tower
2012-09-28, 10:48 PM
Armor only affects your attack roll if you aren't proficient in its use. It's still better to have the dex bonus than a high armor bonus to ac, but as long as you're proficient any armor is a-okay.

After you get your basic equipment (AC boosters, cloak of resistance, ability booster items for your primary stat and con, etc) you should've put a pretty fair size dent in that 360,000.

Have you already covered the basics?

So what are these Ac and stat boosters you speak of?
Edit: Can I just spend all my spare money on multiple rings of protection?

Sith_Happens
2012-09-28, 11:26 PM

Ring of Protection, Amulet of Natural Armor, Gloves of Dexterity, Amulet of Health (Magic Item Compendium has the rules for having the Amulet of Health and Amulet of Natural Armor be the same amulet), and Cloak of Resistance. Maybe a Periapt of Wisdom too (for your Will saves).

You could, but it would be a waste of money since they don't stack.

Also, Celestial Armor has a max Dex bonus of +8, so get that.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-28, 11:34 PM

Like sith said, you want a good armor, ring of protection, a necklace of natural armor, and a set of gloves of dexterity, roughly in that order.

Being a dex based character the gloves should come first this time. You'll also want a cloak of resistance to boost your saves. If your total AC isn't at least equal to your level plus 13 it's too low, especially if you're going to be up front. For a front liner it really should be higher still, but then you come to the balancing act of equipment V character resources. Most of my fighters (not necessarily the fighter class) have at least 5 ranks in tumble and combat expertise, though this may not be appropriate or even necessarily possible for yours.

What's your level?

SamBurke
2012-09-28, 11:48 PM
Also, pick up the NIPPLE CLAMP OF EXQUISITE PAIN if you want a good laugh from your party.

Screaming "NIPPLE CLAMP OF EXQUIIIIISITE PAIN" should get them laughing at LEAST long enough to remove spleens. Livers, too, if you're lucky.

Depends on if you want to go for party conflict, I guess.

Siege Tower
2012-09-28, 11:53 PM
Thank you all for the help. I'm not too worried about optimizing the character I just wanted something passable. I think I may just go in with no armor whatsoever since the character purposefully wants to look seductive. if y'all are interested here's my not in the slightest optimized whip user. Liliana Nalaar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=418482).

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-29, 12:33 AM
Your ring of protection is giving you a deflection bonus to ac. You put it in the misc. box. Other than that you look good.

Sith_Happens
2012-09-29, 02:50 AM
Thank you all for the help. I'm not too worried about optimizing the character I just wanted something passable. I think I may just go in with no armor whatsoever since the character purposefully wants to look seductive. if y'all are interested here's my not in the slightest optimized whip user. Liliana Nalaar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=418482).

Gloryborn from PHBII is a template that can be applied to any armor and turns it into the "chain mail bikini" variety. That work?

P.S.- Love the character name, though it screams "sorceress with lots of Necromancy and [Fire] spells" moreso than "whip fighter.":smalltongue:

Friv
2012-09-29, 10:53 AM

Could I suggest Bracers of Armor? They let you behave like you're wearing armor, while not actually wearing armor. Also, if your DM allows it, it is reasonable for them to be a shirt since shirts take up your "armor" slot. (Wizards sometimes do this with "armored" robes.)

If you drop the Ring of Protection from +5 to +4, you save 18,000 GP, which is sufficient for Bracers of Armor +4 and also some minor magical item. That'll boost your AC up to 30, which is nice.

nedz
2012-09-30, 03:02 PM
Bracers of Armour are probably the way to go, but you could also look at the Glamered Armour property [2,700 gp] - which makes your armour look like whatever you want. (both from DMG)

You could also get your self a Shield bonus.
A buckler only adds +1, but it can be enchanted higher. This might work for you with the Improved Buckler Defence feat from CWar.
Alternatively get your self an animated shield (+2 equivalent).

Jarveiyan
2012-09-30, 04:48 PM
I would've suggested celestial armor, but it goes both against your character's alignment, personality, and proclivities.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-09-30, 06:40 PM
(Because apparently Safe, Sane and Consensual doesn't exist in Greyhawk).

What's evil about Safe, Sane, and Consensual?

Jarveiyan
2012-09-30, 06:56 PM
The bigger question is what's sane about a sadist? Do they always look for masochists? And if they just cause pain were they wish is this good? answer those questions and you'll find your answers. This character might not be that indiscriminate, however this doesn't mean all sadists will be that discriminating(and sadists love to cause pain don't they?).

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-01, 09:27 AM
What's evil about Safe, Sane, and Consensual?

Nothing. Alot of people think that BoVD calls S&M evil. It doesn't.

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-01, 09:37 AM
The amount of wrong stuff people say about both BoVD and BoED never ceases to impress me.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-10-01, 09:41 AM

Many people just assume that it calls it evil because frankly... look where it's published.

Although there's some downright nasty stuff in the BoED (Sanctify the Wicked, anyone?)