PDA

View Full Version : SelfControl for Mac

noparlpf
2012-09-28, 10:51 PM
A friend was telling me about this earlier. I tried Googling it for reviews, but I couldn't find anything reputable. It seems kind of sketchy (apparently, even if you uninstall the program its effects remain), even if it is advertised on some Apple site, and besides that she's telling me it's glitchy and shut down all of her internet access until the end of the timer, not just the sites she picked. Anybody used it or have a decent review?

TSGames
2012-09-29, 11:20 AM
After checking into how it works,I find it to be quite interesting. It clearly works through hacking. By that I mean that it behaves in ways that an application should not be allowed to behave under OS X. However, that does not mean it is malicious. Not all hackerish applications are malicious, and I have not yet found anything to indicate that it is malicious, but I am not going to start code spelunking either. The fact that they are up front about how hackerish it is, is very encouraging.

Trog
2012-09-29, 01:29 PM
I had this on my old mac, I think. It worked but I really only used it once or twice. This was years ago. There's a small problem with software like this – you have to actually run it for it to work. :smalltongue:

Once you do run it, as it indicates, you cannot undo it until time runs out. So if plans change or you change your mind for whatever reason you're stuck without it until the time expires. EDIT: I cannot recall if it blocked only certain sites or ALL sites, actually. I would check but the old mac is dead, Jim.

I see they do not have it on the app store. Hmm... Well, anyway, I had it running an older system and it did what it said it did. No urge to load it on my new mac. I find that eliminating shortcuts to sites I no longer want to visit is often enough to get me to not go there - 'out of sight, out of mind,' as they say.

noparlpf
2012-09-29, 01:32 PM
I run Windows, myself. This is more just a curiosity thing. My friend says she tried it and it blocked everything instead of the sites she selected. Is that abnormal? (For people who've tried.)