View Full Version : D&D 3.5 - Druid/Bard Equipment Help

Tammerin
2012-09-29, 02:04 AM
Okay, here is my Level 10 character:

Bard 1
Druid 4
Green Whisperer 3
Spelldancer 2

Yes, I am building for a Fochlucan Lyrist. He's going to be a Neutral Good Human, who has traveled a lot in his prior years.

His feats are as follows:
Combat casting
Dodge
Mobility
Endurance
Melodic Casting

Yes, his feats suck for what he's playing for, but I'm more than willing to play this way. Adds more rp potential for the character anyways.

He knows Common, Elven, Sylvan, Draconic, Giant, Orc, Goblin, Undercommon, and Druidic so if you feel any items based on region are needed, don't be afraid to send me those ideas, too.

I have 49,000 gold to work with. I need help figuring out what kind of equipment I should get for him. Keep in mind I'm only working with these books:

DMG 3.5 and #2
Unapproachable East
Shining South
Sandstorm
Frostburn
Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Unearthed Arcana
Miniature's Handbook
Magic of Faerun
Yes, anything is allowed from the FRCS book. I already talked it over with the DMs letting them know that it is 3.0, and we run 3.5. Again, anything in FRCS is allowed.
and lastly, Book of Exalted Deeds

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Tammerin
2012-09-29, 09:35 AM
Bumping this thread back to the top so I may get an answer.

Tammerin
2012-09-29, 03:03 PM
Bumping again

A_S
2012-09-29, 03:34 PM
No Magic Item Compendium :\ ? That makes gearing a lot more frustrating.

Tammerin
2012-09-29, 04:58 PM
I know, I know, but we don't have that book, and my friends aren't willing to go off the internet, so, I'm stuck with what I've got.

BowStreetRunner
2012-09-30, 10:00 AM
Songblade (CAdv 130) 6400gp; grants bonuses to Perform checks and an extra use of Bardic Music per day.
Instruments of the Bards (CArc 148) price varies; grant bonuses to Perform checks and bardic music checks for countersong, fascinate and suggestion, plus allow the user to cast several spells from the instrument each day.
Ring of Communication (MH 42) 2000gp each; allow party members to hear your bardic music abilities over great distances.
Vest of Legends (DMG2 272) 16000gp; grants bonuses to Diplomacy and Perform checks and increases effective bard level for inspire courage, fascinate, inspire greatness, and inspire heroics.

A_S
2012-09-30, 12:48 PM
If you don't have access to feats from Magic of Incarnum, you'll probably want a Ring of Evasion (DMG) so you don't have to dip Monk 2 or Rogue 2 to get into Fochlucan Lyrist.

Player's Guide to Faerun isn't on your list, but all the other FR books are...do you have access to it? If so, it's the source for the Spellblade weapon enhancement, which is awesome. If you're feeling cheesy, you can go with Spellblade Tennis (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151109), but less cheesy (and still effective) options include sticking Spellblade [(Greater) Dispel Magic] on your armor spikes, to make your buffs much harder to dispel. Important stuff for a Bard/Druid.

Circlet of Persuasion (DMG) is good for Perform, and also for all social checks if you're serving as party face too. I imagine you've already got a good handle on the basics (+attribute items, AC bonuses, etc.), but make sure you don't neglect those.

Darrin
2012-10-01, 09:16 AM
If you don't have access to feats from Magic of Incarnum, you'll probably want a Ring of Evasion (DMG) so you don't have to dip Monk 2 or Rogue 2 to get into Fochlucan Lyrist.

Spelldancer 2 gets evasion.

Player's Guide to Faerun isn't on your list, but all the other FR books are...do you have access to it? If so, it's the source for the Spellblade weapon enhancement, which is awesome.

Spellblade was first printed in Magic of Faerun as a +1 enhancement. Setting up the Tennis Combo would require at least 16000ish gp for two spellblades.

I'd recommend getting a scimitar or staff with Magebane (+1 enhancement) first, since Complete Arcane has the un-nerfed version. Or the un-nerfed version of Paralyzing (+2 enhancement, BoED) is also quite tempting.

Songblade (CAdv 130) 6400gp; grants bonuses to Perform checks and an extra use of Bardic Music per day.
Instruments of the Bards (CArc 148) price varies; grant bonuses to Perform checks and bardic music checks for countersong, fascinate and suggestion, plus allow the user to cast several spells from the instrument each day.
Ring of Communication (MH 42) 2000gp each; allow party members to hear your bardic music abilities over great distances.
Vest of Legends (DMG2 272) 16000gp; grants bonuses to Diplomacy and Perform checks and increases effective bard level for inspire courage, fascinate, inspire greatness, and inspire heroics.

To this I would add:

Get a gauntlet +1 (spiked or otherwise), add the Flying property (+1 enhancement). Voila, you have a permanent mage hand/not-so-unseen servant that can open things, manipulate objects, and make attacks. Make it out of Bluewood (+400 GP, Unapproachable East p. 58) and you can add the Rusting property (+1 enhancement, Shining South p. 54) and you have an at-will rusting attack. Now add the Sizing property (+1 enhancement, Complete Adventurer), and you can change it into a huge-sized animated object with a 2d6+7 slam attack (a light weapon is treated as an object two sizes smaller than the size of its wielder).

For armor:

Breastplate made out of Blue Ice (+3000 GP, Frostburn), which counts as light armor. If you need cold resistance to negate the Ref/Init penalty, a Travel Cloak (1300 GP, MoF) or Scarf of Warmth (250 GP, Complete Adventerer) should work. Add the Beastskin property (+2 enhancement/+9000 GP, Complete Adventurer) so you retain the armor qualities when wildshaped.

Or upgrade to Fullplate made out of Blue Ice (+7000 GP, Frostburn), which counts as medium armor.

After that, consider saving up for a darkwood/bluewood buckler with the Soulfire property (+4 enhancement/+25000 GP, BoED) for immunity to negative energy/death effects/energy drain.

Other equipment:

Masterwork Potion Belt (60 GP, FRCS). Free action to draw a potion.

Travel Cloak (1200 GP, MoF). Provides shelter, food, water, and sweetened hot tea. It also has an endure elements (cold) effect, which doesn't exist in 3.5... this could either be cold resistance 5, or a continuous endure elements effect.

Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (2500 GP, Complete Adventurer). +5 competence bonus on all Concentration checks (not just spellcasting).

Spellsight Spectacles (2500 GP, Complete Adventurer). +5 competence bonus on UMD checks made to use scrolls.

Headband of the Binder (2600 GP, MoF). +4 sacred bonus to bardic knowledge.

Lesser Metamagic Rod of Sculpting (3000 GP, Complate Arcane). Sculpt your entangles, glitterdusts, and call lightnings into four 10'x10' cubes.

Bracers of Striking (1310 GP, MoF) or Ring of Might (4000 GP, MoF) so you get unarmed strike iteratives + natural attacks when wildshaped.

Veil of Allure (14000 GP, Sandstorm). Increases the save DCs of all your enchantment spells and Charisma-based bardic music effects by +2.

A_S
2012-10-01, 09:37 AM
Spelldancer 2 gets evasion.
Herp derp. Good catch.