PDA

View Full Version : battle field control cleric

Azoth
2012-09-30, 12:14 AM
Hey all, making my first attempt at a battle field control cleric. He is a clostered cleric of Fharlanghn (or however you spell it). His selected domains are Travel, Protection, and knowledge. This is not changing, as it is for fluff reasons. There is no DMM in the game/build. So my charisma is 8. The only things my turn undead uses are for is powering protection/travel devotion.

I am asking the playground for help in finding spells that are good for battle field control within these constraints. Consider all official 3.5 sources fair game. Please list a level and the book where the spell is found. It would help me out immensely great playgrounders.

eggs
2012-09-30, 12:54 AM
Summons are awesome, from low-level spiderwebs and meat-walls to the later SLAs like at-will Walls of Ice and Force. A bit of a self-plug, but I went through most of the summon spells and all their various abilities and SLAs in the summoner link in my sig.

A while ago when I was digging up some control/tactical effects off the Cleric list, this was the list I wound up with:

Obscuring Mist, Updraft, Summon Monster 1 (Especially spider webs)
Silence, Turn Anathema, SM2
Wind Wall, Knight's Move, Dispel Magic, Downdraft (negates flyers with a bit of a blasting effect), Nauseating Breath, Aligned Storm, Stone Shape, SM3 (Dretch packs Stinking Cloud and Scare and summon spell can double for 1d4+1 Spiders)
Dampen Magic (AMF on an ally), Dimension Anchor, Wall of Alignment, Wall of Sand, Giant Vermin (affected vermin at higher levels may as well be the battlefield), SM4 (Mephits carry a variety of effects like Wind Wall, Pyrotechnics, Stinking Cloud, Glitterdust)
Wall of Stone, Doomtide, Blade Barrier (primarily blasting, but heavy-hitting enough to also encourage enemies to stay where they're divided), Greater Command, Wall of Dispel Magic, Swift Eterealness, Zone of Respite (for Rapid Spell-users), SM5 (Achaierai has confusion cloud)
Greater Dispel Magic, Banishment, Cometfall (SR: No blast, penetrates AMFs, creates difficult terrain, potentially steals actions with trip attempt), Rejection, Planar Exchange (Bone Devil has useful SLAs, Avoral has fear aura and melee/utility abilities that are relevant for a couple levels), Antilife Shell, SM6
Repulsion, Planar Bubble (easily abused with Planar Ally line), SM7 (Bone Devil has a bunch of at-will BC spells like Wall of Ice, Dimension Anchor, Major Image and Fly - not the most powerful effects for its level, but a good boost for longevity and an excellent tool in winning the action economy)
Dimensional Lock, Greater Planar Exchange (Leonal has at-will Walls of Force and a defensive aura as well as healing) AMF, Wall of Greater Dispel, SM8
Summon Elemental Monolith (not particularly clever, but huge and blunt enough to work in almost any situation), Miracle (almost any spell), SM9 (esp. multiple Leonals, and Bebelith)

EDIT: Most are SRD, Spell Compendium and Complete Champion spells.