PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Protector Paladin

Wise Green Bean
2012-09-30, 01:25 AM
I had a look at the pathfinder paladin, and for the first time ever I was struck with the urge to actually play one(mostly due to the large amount of suck drainage compared to 3.5). The character concept would be a very protective sort of person who wants to keep people away from his buddies. I'm more experienced with 3.5 arcane stuff, so it's sort of a new subject for me. I know the 'keep baddies of buddies' thing is usually accomplished with a tripper build, but even with the WIS need gone, high INT for combat expertise seems kind of hard to fit in. Are there any good pathfinder feats to fit this idea that don't need require a high stat I don't have?

Baroncognito
2012-09-30, 05:09 AM
One of the popular routes for this concept is to go with a couple levels of Oracle of Life to get "Life Link" (I think it's called). It allows you to take a certain amount of damage that your allies would otherwise take.

grarrrg
2012-09-30, 08:34 AM
One of the popular routes for this concept is to go with a couple levels of Oracle of Life to get "Life Link" (I think it's called). It allows you to take a certain amount of damage that your allies would otherwise take.

That would be the Oradin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13120545#post13120545). It is a solid enough build, but takes a little while (level 5-to-7) to really get going.

For a straight up Paladin, there are some Archetypes that help.
Divine Defender (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/divine-defender) can grant allies +AC and Saves.

Oath of Loyalty (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/oathbound-paladin/oath-of-loyalty) gives similar bonuses to only 1 ally, but you get some 'Oath spells' (think Domain spells).

Sacred Shield (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/sacred-shield) loses Smite Evil, but gains an ability where allies only take 1/2 damage, and can share her Shield bonus with allies as well.

Warrior of the Holy Light (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/warrior-of-the-holy-light) drops spellcasting, but picks up a good variety of aura-ish boosts.

navar100
2012-09-30, 10:23 AM
Bodyguard in Advanced Player's Guide is a feat that allows you to aid another for AC using up an AoO. Combat Reflexes is the prerequisite, so you can do it a few times.

Combat Control is a feat that allows you to increase your threatened area, requires Combat Reflexes and Mobility.

Covering Defense allows you to provide cover to an ally when using total defense action with a shield, requires Shield Focus.

Divine Defender archetype replaces a Mercy with the ability to use a Lay On Hands to provide a bonus to AC and CMD to allies. Divine Bond enhances your armor instead of weapon.

Tokuhara
2012-09-30, 10:29 AM
I actually am a fan of a

Paladin (don't lose +cha to saves) 3/ Order of the Shield Samurai 17. You are a tank. Period.

grarrrg
2012-09-30, 11:45 AM
I actually am a fan of a

Paladin (don't lose +cha to saves) 3/ Order of the Shield Samurai 17. You are a tank. Period.

Wouldn't Paladin 4/Samurai 16 be slightly better?
You lose True Resolve, which is only useful if you were about to die anyway, and you gain a 2nd Smite Evil, 1st level spells (depending on CHA mod), and Channel Energy.

Tokuhara
2012-09-30, 01:25 PM
Wouldn't Paladin 4/Samurai 16 be slightly better?
You lose True Resolve, which is only useful if you were about to die anyway, and you gain a 2nd Smite Evil, 1st level spells (depending on CHA mod), and Channel Energy.

I see your point, but at the same point, True Resolve is a great ability that is IMO on-par with Paladin's 1st level Spells, a second Smite, and Channel Energy (which IIRC is weaker than 3.5's Turn Undead). Admittedly, it's up to a player, but me personally, I'll take the pseudo-capstone of True Resolve with Stem the Tide and a nice bit of "focus on me" over an extra smite, some mediocre spells, and a 1d6 distance heal when I already have Lay on Hands to keep myself up as needed.

And some ask why I like Samurai over Cavalier. Well, Samurai is less strong on a mount compared to his cousin, but in return is a much better tank thanks to Resolve. With resolve, I can make saves more easily, avoid crappy status ailments, and can auto-stabilize. With True Resolve, I can survive just about any hit/if I need to make a tough escape, say down a 500' cliff and survive.

Frosty
2012-09-30, 01:32 PM
Use Order of the Dragon Cavalier. That class is MADE for protecting allies. You get even BETTER bonuses to Bodyguard. Think of that particular order as the Pathfinder equivalent of the Crusader. There's a few things in there that feel very White Raven-ish.

Tokuhara
2012-09-30, 01:43 PM
Use Order of the Dragon Cavalier. That class is MADE for protecting allies. You get even BETTER bonuses to Bodyguard. Think of that particular order as the Pathfinder equivalent of the Crusader. There's a few things in there that feel very White Raven-ish.

I see OotD Cavalier as more of a "quarterback" who makes his allies look good, not a great "tank." Again, not saying OotD is bad, but it lends itself to buffing allies, not bodyguarding

Frosty
2012-09-30, 01:48 PM
I see OotD Cavalier as more of a "quarterback" who makes his allies look good, not a great "tank." Again, not saying OotD is bad, but it lends itself to buffing allies, not bodyguardingIt *also* gives some bonuses to Bodyguarding though. You easily give like +5 AC to an ally at level 8 if you also take the Honorguard archetype from Ultimate Combat. Buffing allies is also an indirect way of protecting them.

Also, since at a certain level you can basically Charge as an immediate action, you can protect allies by doing a Charging Bullrush in response to a baddie walking up to your ally and trying to whack your ally. Secondly, with a certain feat, you can Ready a charge, so you can actually bullrush an enemy on their turn TWICE per turn :smallbiggrin:

Tokuhara
2012-09-30, 01:57 PM
It *also* gives some bonuses to Bodyguarding though. You easily give like +5 AC to an ally at level 8 if you also take the Honorguard archetype from Ultimate Combat. Buffing allies is also an indirect way of protecting them.

Also, since at a certain level you can basically Charge as an immediate action, you can protect allies by doing a Charging Bullrush in response to a baddie walking up to your ally and trying to whack your ally. Secondly, with a certain feat, you can Ready a charge, so you can actually bullrush an enemy on their turn TWICE per turn :smallbiggrin:

Again, I see your point, but I prefer Human Standard Bearer Order of the Dragon as a "melee buffer"