PDA

View Full Version : quarterstaff = great club?

Ashtagon
2012-09-30, 04:49 AM
Suppose I have a quarterstaff. Is there a logical reason (other than "game stats") why I couldn't wield it two-handed from one end and use it as a great club?

Zerter
2012-09-30, 04:50 AM
No. Tho "game stats" is a incredibly solid argument.

Jeff the Green
2012-09-30, 04:51 AM
Well, RAW, you can. It'd just have a reduced damage die.

Saintheart
2012-09-30, 04:54 AM
As I understood it, the fact you can use it one-ended as a two-handed weapon is a prime reason that you can use Power Attack on it for double damage rather than 1.5. See this thread for quarterstaff builds. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161148)

nyjastul69
2012-09-30, 06:09 AM
Suppose I have a quarterstaff. Is there a logical reason (other than "game stats") why I couldn't wield it two-handed from one end and use it as a great club?

Yes, there is a logical reason why one cannot use a staff as a great club. A club is built like a baseball bat, it's heavily weighted at one end, a staff is not. Clubs are logically designed diffently than staves. Although the stats actually point that out in their own way.

KillianHawkeye
2012-09-30, 07:29 AM

This question makes no sense, as the quarterstaff is already a two-handed weapon. It does 1d6 damage, which is much less than a greatclub.

nyjastul69
2012-09-30, 07:42 AM
This question makes no sense, as the quarterstaff is already a two-handed weapon. It does 1d6 damage, which is much less than a greatclub.

That's correct except for:

Originally posted from the SRD
Quarterstaff

A quarterstaff is a double weapon. You can fight with it as if fighting with two weapons, but if you do, you incur all the normal attack penalties associated with fighting with two weapons, just as if you were using a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. A creature wielding a quarterstaff in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

The quarterstaff is a special monk weapon. This designation gives a monk wielding a quarterstaff special options.

Emphasis added. It's a two-handed weapon that can actually be wielded with a single hand. :smallconfused:

mattie_p
2012-09-30, 07:45 AM
As Saintheart and nyjastul69 point out, a quarterstaff is actually a double weapon. You would just choose to use only a single end of it, wielded with both hands.

While I'm sure there could be a corner case found to abuse it (free crafting, maybe), I don't see a major problem with it.

KillianHawkeye
2012-09-30, 08:05 AM
It's a two-handed weapon that can actually be wielded with a single hand. :smallconfused:

No, it's a two-handed weapon. A larger creature would be able to do that, because the "handedness" of a weapon increases or decreases when its size relative to the wielder increases or decreases. The line is just repeating a general rule of double weapons.

BowStreetRunner
2012-09-30, 08:13 AM
No, it's a two-handed weapon. A larger creature would be able to do that, because the "handedness" of a weapon increases or decreases when its size relative to the wielder increases or decreases. The line is just repeating a general rule of double weapons.

The Main 3.5 FAQ disagrees with you however.

Is a double weapon considered a two-handed weapon or a one-handed weapon plus a light weapon, for the purposes of feats such as Weapon Finesse and Power Attack?
A double weapon can be wielded in two ways, either as a one-handed weapon and a light weapon, or as a single twohanded weapon. Either way, it follows the normal rules for using such weapons.
Wielding as Two Weapons: The primary end (the “onehanded weapon”) adds your Strength modifier to damage, and the secondary end (the “light weapon”) adds one-half your Strength bonus to damage. When using Power Attack, bonus damage applies only to the primary end. If you have Weapon Finesse, you can add your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with the secondary end (but not with the primary end).
Wielding as One Weapon: Add one-and-one-half your Strength bonus to damage rolls. When using Power Attack, double the bonus damage granted by the feat.
The Sage strongly recommends that characters who wield double weapons record attack and damage values for both methods of use, to speed play.

nyjastul69
2012-09-30, 08:16 AM

Okay, that makes sense. I don't think I've read that description in over a decade. I've never had a PC use one either. Sorry, my bad. :smallredface:

KillianHawkeye
2012-09-30, 08:16 AM
That doesn't actually disagree with what I posted, FYI. :smallconfused:

In fact, Weapon Finesse and Power Attack are completely irrelevant to the issue being discussed.

Laserlight
2012-09-30, 10:28 AM

If you are asking "is a real quarterstaff significantly different from a real great club", the answer is yes--the weight and balance are different.

However, a quick look at the PHB convinces me that D&D writers had only a faint and superficial acquaintance with real weapons.

Snowbluff
2012-09-30, 12:49 PM
If you are asking "is a real quarterstaff significantly different from a real great club", the answer is yes--the weight and balance are different.

However, a quick look at the PHB convinces me that D&D writers had only a faint and superficial acquaintance with real weapons.

This pretty much.

You can snap your Quarterstaff in half, drop on the ground, and use it as a regular club (which are just pieces of wood).