PDA

View Full Version : Simultaneous Craft Checks

White_Drake
2012-09-30, 03:31 PM
I'm bringing in an Alchemist after my Barbarian got fried by a blue dragon, and I was wondering, can you make more than one craft check in one day? It currently takes me five days to craft a vial of alchemists' fire, so it would really speed things up. I can't find a rule about it anywhere. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Also, is poison brewing an alchemy check, or its own craft skill?

Ashtagon
2012-09-30, 04:03 PM
I'm bringing in an Alchemist after my Barbarian got fried by a blue dragon, and I was wondering, can you make more than one craft check in one day? It currently takes me five days to craft a vial of alchemists' fire, so it would really speed things up. I can't find a rule about it anywhere. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Also, is poison brewing an alchemy check, or its own craft skill?

C/alchemy and C/poison-making are two separate skills.

You can only make one Craft check per day, which represents a single full day's work (with bio-breaks as appropriate). Unless you have a way to pack two hours of work into each hour for a full day, you can't double up on your Craft checks.

I can't find the rule any where, but I normally play that if your Craft check is good enough to make multiples of the same item in a single day (producing 2 gp worth of work when making a 1g item, for example), you can make multiples of that item in the same day.

White_Drake
2012-09-30, 04:05 PM
Dang... Thank you.

TuggyNE
2012-09-30, 05:11 PM

You can only make one Craft check per day, which represents a single full day's work (with bio-breaks as appropriate). Unless you have a way to pack two hours of work into each hour for a full day, you can't double up on your Craft checks.

Yeah, this is correct.

I can't find the rule any where, but I normally play that if your Craft check is good enough to make multiples of the same item in a single day (producing 2 gp worth of work when making a 1g item, for example), you can make multiples of that item in the same day.

It's in the Craft skill description. :smallconfused:

Make an appropriate Craft check representing one week’s work. If the check succeeds, multiply your check result by the DC. If the result × the DC equals the price of the item in sp, then you have completed the item. (If the result × the DC equals double or triple the price of the item in silver pieces, then you’ve completed the task in one-half or one-third of the time. Other multiples of the DC reduce the time in the same manner.) If the result × the DC doesn’t equal the price, then it represents the progress you’ve made this week. Record the result and make a new Craft check for the next week. Each week, you make more progress until your total reaches the price of the item in silver pieces.
[...]
You can make checks by the day instead of by the week. In this case your progress (check result × DC) is in copper pieces instead of silver pieces. (emphasis added)

Note that, unless you're in FR where there are 10-day weeks, crafting by the day is not recommended, because it's less efficient.

Also, watch out for 0-cost crafted items, such as quarterstaffs; the "whatever multiple" can cause a divide-by-zero error where you can effectively craft infinite quarterstaffs per day for free. :smallannoyed:

Mcdt2
2012-10-02, 06:43 AM

This is true in 3.5, yes, but Alchemist is a Pathfinder class (might be 3.5 as well, but I don't think so). OP failed to mention however, what system they were using. This being said, if they are in fact playing Pathfinder and not 3.5, then craft: alchemy is NOT a seperate skill from craft poison, IIRC.

Alienist
2012-10-02, 09:05 AM
3.5 Eberron has a spell I think it is called Unseen Crafter (?)
This either speeds it up or provides a bonus, I don't remember which.