PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a broken tooth

Totally Guy
2012-09-30, 04:42 PM
Described a character as having a noticeable broken tooth or two. Do healing spells fix that sort of thing? Can it be fixed at all?

Amidus Drexel
2012-09-30, 04:58 PM
I would imagine the regeneration spell, or maybe heal, would fix it. Barring that, you could always wish or miracle it back.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-09-30, 05:16 PM
Just take it out and put in one of the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar.

I guess that the Regenerate spell could fix it, given that it can regenerate entire limbs.

nedz
2012-09-30, 05:22 PM
A couple of nights rest should fix this :smallbiggrin:

Given that all damage is abstract and all characters above level 1 are likely to have all manner of scars/missing teeth: this is generally assumed.

So a Cure X spell should do the job, or a Mending cantrip at worst.

Gavinfoxx
2012-09-30, 05:37 PM
Regenerate fixes it, at worst.

Mending, Make Whole, Cure Light Wounds, Cure Moderate Wounds, Faith Healing, Restoration, Lesser Restoration, Cure Critical Wounds, or Panacea might work.

Curmudgeon
2012-09-30, 06:51 PM
Mending and Make Whole only target objects, not parts of creatures, so they will do nothing. If the description indicates reduction in function (inability to eat certain foods, or speech impairment) because of body parts missing, then only Regenerate will restore the teeth parts and full function. The abstract HP fixes (Cure <X> Wounds) won't treat specific impairments.

Slipperychicken
2012-09-30, 07:58 PM
Craft: (False Teeth). Carve them out of bigger creatures' teeth, like Giants or Trolls, so they look realistic. Should work just fine.

Disguise, to somehow make your broken teeth look normal.

NichG
2012-09-30, 10:55 PM
I agree that it takes a Regenerate. A Restoration/Greater Restoration might be argued to do it too.

My rule of thumb is: Cure X wounds only fixes things that would naturally recover over time for a real person. So a wound will close, but they don't remove scars (though they might prevent a scar), fix lost bits, etc. Restoration/Greater Restoration can cure ability drain, however, which represents something that would never heal on its own, so they might logically work for a tooth that is broken but not missing. Regenerate however seems to be the perfect solution.

NamelessNPC
2012-10-01, 01:23 AM
Don't be a hobo and pay a silver coin to a professional

Kerilstrasz
2012-10-01, 08:28 AM
Craft: (False Teeth). Carve them out of bigger creatures' teeth, like Giants or Trolls, so they look realistic. Should work just fine.

Disguise, to somehow make your broken teeth look normal.

have the "new tooth" be hollow and retractable, and store in it a perma shrinked item...
is he a rogue? maybe a +5 tools
is he a wizard? his Spellbook :)))

Slipperychicken
2012-10-01, 08:57 AM
have the "new tooth" be hollow and retractable, and store in it a perma shrinked item...
is he a rogue? maybe a +5 tools
is he a wizard? his Spellbook :)))

Alchemical teeth are actually a thing. The "tooth" is a capsule, which can contain a potion/poison, and be swallowed to gain the potion's effect. Not sure which book it's in (either CA, CS, or Dungeonscape, I think).

You could house-rule a Heal check to fix it, with magical assistance (hold the tooth together properly so Cure X Wounds heals it?)

nedz
2012-10-01, 09:14 AM
What you want is a poison gas capsule disguised as a tooth, so that as the Baron leans over your broken body ...

GolemsVoice
2012-10-01, 09:39 AM
Alchemical teeth are Complete Adventurer or Complete Scoundrel. Complete Scoundrel I'd say.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-10-01, 09:44 AM
Alchemical teeth are Complete Adventurer or Complete Scoundrel. Complete Scoundrel I'd say.

Complete Adventurer, page 121.