PDA

View Full Version : Sword sages do sword sages get x6 skill points at first level?

Annos
2012-09-30, 04:55 PM
I am making a sword sage and under skills it says "6+int x6 at first level" is this a typo?

Lord_Gareth
2012-09-30, 04:57 PM
I am making a sword sage and under skills it says "6+int x6 at first level" is this a typo?

It's commonly held to be a typo, and many groups edit it to "x4". However, some groups keep it at "x6". It doesn't affect balance much either way.

Annos
2012-09-30, 04:58 PM
thx, and nice avatar :smallsmile:

HunterOfJello
2012-09-30, 05:03 PM
Considering that Swordsages get 6+int skill points and that every other class in the entire game gets x4 skill points at first level, most people consider it a typo or copy-paste error.

Zaq
2012-09-30, 07:38 PM
Technically, the part where the ToB errata went into hardcore fail mode was after the page with the Swordsage and their skills on it, so it's technically true to say that it could have been errata'd away and never was. RAW, it has survived an actual pass of errata and been left as written.

That said, I've never played with a group who doesn't houserule it back to ×4.

HunterColt22
2012-10-02, 12:20 PM
That errata is such a sham that it doesn't even need to be brought up. -_- COPY PASTE IS MY FRIEND YAY! I HAVE NO NEED FOR SECOND READ THROUGH. Ugh.

As to what the OP is asking though, yes most rule it back to x4. Though considering the changeling rouge sub has a 10+int mod. I am not that surprised by some choices not to change it back to x4.

Answerer
2012-10-02, 02:50 PM
I actually played a game with a DM who left it at x6 because she thought it was funny. It's pretty minor anyway. 12+2*Int extra skill points are definitely nice, but they're never going to break the game. You can get that much and more from a single feat, if you're considering a high-level character: among other things, Nymph's Kiss gives one point per level, so 20 at level 20. A Swordsage would need Int 16 to match that due to the x6, which he probably won't.

So it's probably about equivalent to a bonus feat. But if you're giving Swordsages a bonus feat, I'm very sure that most of them would much rather get Adaptive Style.

The Glyphstone
2012-10-02, 02:52 PM
I actually played a game with a DM who left it at x6 because she thought it was funny. It's pretty minor anyway.

Did she also allow the whip from Sandstorm that does 1d34 (or is it 1d43) damage?

Answerer
2012-10-02, 02:56 PM
Did she also allow the whip from Sandstorm that does 1d34 (or is it 1d43) damage?
Hah, no one asked. That, I would guess, she'd not allow.

She also ruled that IL rounds up with respect to non-adept class levels, which is how the example character seem to rule it even though the rules make no indication of it.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-10-02, 03:00 PM
You can get that much and more from a single feat, if you're considering a high-level character: among other things, Nymph's Kiss gives one point per level, so 20 at level 20. A Swordsage would need Int 16 to match that due to the x6, which he probably won't.

Nymph's Kiss also gives you a super sexy girlfriend that will always physically be in her mid-twenties. :smallamused:

kitcik
2012-10-02, 03:59 PM
She also ruled that IL rounds up with respect to non-adept class levels, which is how the example character seem to rule it even though the rules make no indication of it.

I once thought it was that way.

I wish it was that way.

But if you read it carefully, you round down - and the example characters are consistent with that.

That said, as DM, I would allow rounding up (at least for martial levels, full casters step aside).

Arcanist
2012-10-02, 04:36 PM
{{scrubbed}}