PDA

View Full Version : Feat Substitution for Spellcasters and PrC

Sugashane
2012-09-30, 07:46 PM
I have two question please-

There are feats such as Weapon Finesse that substitute Dex for Str, and Serenity allows Wisdom to take Cha's place for the Paladin, but do any allow Wisdom to substitute Int or Cha for an arcane caster?

And also what are some prestige classes that have a 9 level progression in 10 levels. I know there are many that allow progression of a previous spellcasting class, but I am looking for more like Ur Priest, which is its own spellcasting class. Also my DM does not allow characters to be evil so Ur Priest is not an option.

Thank you!

Piggy Knowles
2012-09-30, 08:06 PM
Apostle of Peace is sort of the exalted version of Ur-Priest, from the Book of Exalted Deeds. It has some heavy RP drawbacks, though (mostly in the form of the required Vow of Peace).

Divine Crusader (Complete Divine) also gets 9th-level spells in 10 levels, but only from a single domain, so you'll have to choose carefully. I find it's best for a more martial character.

I don't know of any feats that let you use Wis instead of Int or Cha for arcane casting, though. Sorry.

eggs
2012-09-30, 08:25 PM
There's also Blighter and Beholder Mage, but they're both probably inappropriate for two entirely different reasons. (Here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8664)'s a quick link to a good reference on "are there any PrCs that get X level spells?")

I'm not aware of any first-party ways of changing casting stats. You could use Illumian to base both of their extra spells per day on the same physical stat, but that might cause more problems than it solves.

HunterOfJello
2012-09-30, 08:39 PM
All of the stat switching tricks i know for spellcasters are for divine classes. Geomancer has a mechanic that works sort of like that, but that PrC is a massive trap outside of gestalt.

~

There is a PrC called Chameleon that gets 6th level spells as both a wizard and cleric after 10 levels in it. It also has a floating feat that you can change each day, so the PrC gives you access to every item creation feat in the game that doesn't have a prerequisite. Early on you can only cast as one class at a time, but by the 10th level you get access to both all of the time.

Endarire
2012-09-30, 09:23 PM
The Dragonlance book Legend of the Twins has the Academic Priest feat. Bonus divine spells from one class (and one class only) and the key ability score to cast these divine spells is INT, not WIS. Requires 13 INT. Only available at L1.

kardar233
2012-09-30, 09:32 PM
I don't know how to switch them to Wisdom, but Aeshkrau and Uurkrau Illumians can get bonus spells from Strength or Dexterity respectively.

Sugashane
2012-09-30, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys. I think I know what I am going to do for both. Really appreciate the feedback!

Sayt
2012-09-30, 10:11 PM
Paizo has the Celestial --> Wildblood -->Empyreal bloodline (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/wildblooded/empyreal), which changes casting from charisma to wisdom, and also gives you channel energy, for what that's worth.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-09-30, 10:24 PM
The Dragonlance book Legend of the Twins has the Academic Priest feat. Bonus divine spells from one class (and one class only) and the key ability score to cast these divine spells is INT, not WIS. Requires 13 INT. Only available at L1.

It also has the Feat Dynamic Priest, switching the same to Charisma instead of Intelligence.

Dante & Vergil
2012-10-01, 03:54 PM
I remember a series of feats in a 3rd party source that did the same for I think every stat, or at the very least the 3 mental stats, but I cannot remember the name of it or the people that made it.

eggs
2012-10-01, 03:56 PM
Green Ronin's Bastards and Bloodlines has a feat that does it for whatever stat (I don't recall the name offhand).

But even though GR is usually pretty good about balance, basing a Druid's casting off its strength score isn't a particularly good example of it.

Thurbane
2012-10-02, 04:06 AM
The third party feat from Bastards and Bloodlines is called "Lost Tradition", and it's not only limited to mental stats. You could cast off CON or STR if you wanted to.

It's a feat I would personally only allow in certain specific cases (mainly for dual stat casters like the Favored Soul), and even though, strictly only using metal stats.

killianh
2012-10-02, 04:19 AM
x stat to y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) lists all of the stat changing abilities, feats, etc. only the feat for sorcerers from PF is listed for spell casting for wisdom.

the 3.5 caster class index (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=24kub61eup2dbn5uu4j2oc6fc0&topic=8664) has all of the casters and PrCs listed alphabetically and by caster progression speed.

that answers that

EDIT: void disciple needs a mention for playing around with stats.