PDA

View Full Version : divine/arcane builds

Mechanize
2012-09-30, 09:12 PM
My friend was asking about some fun divine/arcane builds. I know little about them, and told him I would ask on here since you guys seem to know everything about this game lol. He mentioned mystic theurge and asked if druid spells counted as divine.

Any suggestions on a build like this?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-30, 09:22 PM
Druid does count as divine yes.

In general Theurge builds are considered less powerful than full casters since while you have tons of spell a) you still only have a set of actions to cast them b) usually you will lag a lot in spell acquisition and c) you are MAD-der than a single class caster. Having said that, there are ways to mitigate that.

a) For the first problem there are a lot of ways for casters to play with the action economy so you want to get a few ways to do that (Quicken-spell is the "easiest", most straight forward way).

b) Early entry or fast-advancement prestige classes are your friends here; but take into account that some DM consider them quite cheesy (rightly so)

c) Finally you want to make your casting stats as synergistic as possible (Psion/Wizard Cerebremancer and Wizard/Archivist Mystic Theurge fro Int Synergy, Ardent/Cleric Psychic Theurger for Wis focus, etc)

A druid/arcane theurger class, the Arcane Hierophant (Races of the Wild I am not mistaken) is extremely good since you don't need to select a main casting type (thanks to Mystic Theurge) IIRC the classic entry is something like Wizard 1 (Precocious Apprentice) /Druid 3/Mystic Theurge 2/Arcane Hierophant 10/ Mystic Theurge +4 or something along the lines of that.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-09-30, 09:27 PM
Druid is indeed an excellent theurge choice.

Instead of going straight into Mystic Theurge, might I suggest something more along the lines of Druid 3/Wizard 1 (with Collegiate Wizard)/Arcane Hierophant 10/Mystic Theurge 6?

19th level Druid casting, 17th level Wizard casting (Dual 9s), and actual class features.

Arcane Hierophant is in Races of the Wild, page 108.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-30, 09:30 PM

Instead of going straight into Mystic Theurge, might I suggest something more along the lines of Druid 3/Wizard 1 (with Collegiate Wizard)/Arcane Hierophant 10/Mystic Theurge 6?

19th level Druid casting, 17th level Wizard casting (Dual 9s), and actual class features.

I think you mean Precocious Apprentice, Collegiate Wizard "only" gives bonus spell for your spellbook equal to your int mod.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-30, 09:34 PM

I think you mean Precocious Apprentice, Collegiate Wizard "only" gives bonus spell for your spellbook equal to your int mod.

gorfnab
2012-09-30, 09:59 PM
The Urge to Theurge - A Theurge Handbook WIP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224999) has some suggestions on how to build a dual caster.

Theurge builds I like:
Savage Bard 8/ Ur-Priest 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Mystic Theurge 8
Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 2/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Eldritch Disciple 8 (or Eldritch Disciple 2/ Mindbender 1/ Eldritch Disciple 5)
Wizard (Spontaneous Divination ACF) 5/ Knight of the Weave 1/ Ultimate Magus 10/ Incantatrix 4
Wizard (Precocious Apprentice) 1/ Shadowcaster 3/ Noctumancer 10/ Mystic Theurge 6

Kuulvheysoon
2012-09-30, 10:03 PM

Damn, you're right.

Oh well, at least my other advice is right (and I can confirm Arcane Hierophant's location in RotW for you).

gorfnab, +1 for Knight of the Weave. I absolutely adore that class, but no-one's ever heard of it.

Mechanize
2012-09-30, 10:49 PM
I apologize, I forgot to mention that the magic incarnum and psionics books are not allowed to be used for this campaign.

Thank you for the suggestions though, I am sure it will come in handy. He was unsure where to start looking. This helps a lot.

Harry
2012-10-01, 02:06 AM
There's also wizard7/mind bender1/ur priest 2/mystic theurge9/tainted scholar 1 with the ritual of alignment. For double nines, night-infinite spells, telepathy. And awesome flavor.

Hirax
2012-10-01, 03:36 AM
Human paragon1/wizard2/human paragon+2/ur-priest2/theurge8/Halruaan elder5

Human paragon at first level for more skill points. This gets 9th level wizard and cleric spells, plus circle magic and -1 to two metamagic feats of your choice.

Wizard5/mindbender1/ur-priest2/theurge8/incantatrix4

9th level cleric and wizard spells, plus incantatrix metamagic shenanigans.

Human paragon 1/crusader4/ur-priest2/ruby knight vindicator10/master of nine3

Ok, it's blade magic/divine instead of divine/arcane, this one is fun. If you can get the deity requirement waived and ridiculous feat requirements waived for master of nine, it becomes a lot better.

Savage bard5/ur-priest2/savage bard+3/sublime chord2/theurge8

I've never used this one personally, but many others like it.

Mechanize
2012-10-01, 01:51 PM
How does this type of theurge/druid build work with wild shape? Can he do both at the same time?

Kazyan
2012-10-01, 02:17 PM
How does this type of theurge/druid build work with wild shape? Can he do both at the same time?

He cannot. Wild Shape is a separate feature of the Druid class and isn't advanced by any* theurge class, because it's not spellcasting. If he reaches Druid level 5, he can Wild Shape, but it's generally understood that a theurge will want to get into their chosen theurge class as soon as possible.

*Well, Fochlucan Lyrist, but yeesh, high-maintenance much?

Harry
2012-10-01, 09:01 PM
There's also Druid 5/beholder mage 2/arcane Hierophant 10/Planar Shepard 3.

If you don't mind chees.

Better yet you could go divine minion (LA bought off)/Druid 10/ planar Shepard 10 with aberrant wildshape.

Use aberrant wildshape for black Ethergaunt. They have level 17 wizard spell casting.

Arcanist
2012-10-01, 10:05 PM

This is massive understatement :smalltongue:

But... But... Your loosing one of the most awesome benefits of being a Druid :smallfrown: WILD SHAPE! :smallbiggrin:

If you do not already possess the ability, you gain no ability to wild shape.

Quite unfortunate I know :smallfrown: BUT! this is the playground, if there is a Will, there is a way :smallbiggrin:

Druid/5 Wizard/1 Arcane Hierophant/10 Mystic Theurge/4

Hmm... *Scribble* NOPE! Does not compute :smallfrown: WELL I guess with Arcane Hierophant you just can't have your cake and eat it too :smalltongue: ... Hmm... You could always go:

Bamboo Spirit Folk

Wild Shaping Ranger/1 Druid/2 Wizard/2 Arcane Heirophant/10 Mystic Theurge/5 and have 17th level casting and some good Wild Shaping abilities :smallconfused:

Feats:

1: [Any Metamagic]
3: Sanctum Spell
6-18 of whatever you want.

Of course most of the stuff in this build is so debatable in it's legality that it's actually quite hilarious in my opinion. :smalltongue:

Kuulvheysoon
2012-10-01, 10:11 PM
But... But... Your loosing one of the most awesome benefits of being a Druid :smallfrown: WILD SHAPE! :smallbiggrin:

Well, if we're getting cheesy anyways, why not just flat-out abuse Divine Minion?

Harry
2012-10-01, 10:13 PM
You mean kinda like what that Harry guy said?:smallwink:

Arcanist
2012-10-01, 10:22 PM
Well, if we're getting cheesy anyways, why not just flat-out abuse Divine Minion?

I like variation for my Wild Shaping instead of just a single form (2 if you count your original). I'm hoping I'm reading the template wrong, otherwise I have no idea why people like it so much :smallsigh:

You mean kinda like what that Harry guy said?:smallwink:

Beholder Mage is just a fun class :smallamused:

I do, however hate Beholders for that exact reason :smallsigh:

SaintRidley
2012-10-01, 10:24 PM
Note that if you are using Precocious Apprentice for early entry (I am not a fan of early entry, but if it flies at your table, good for you) you still need 5 class levels before you can hit Arcane Hierophant due to the skill requirement. Druid 3/Wiz 1 doesn't cut it - you need Druid 4/Wiz1 or Druid 3/Wiz 2.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-01, 10:32 PM
I like variation for my Wild Shaping instead of just a single form (2 if you count your original). I'm hoping I'm reading the template wrong, otherwise I have no idea why people like it so much :smallsigh:

Early entry into Master of the Many forms along with unlimited wildshaping? There is probably some abuse or trick with [Wild] feats, which normally require to expend an use of Wildshape to activate.

And I think Divine Minion was one of Pun-Pun ways of accession pre-FCI (level 4 if I am not mistaken)

Arcanist
2012-10-01, 10:35 PM
Early entry into Master of the Many forms along with unlimited wildshaping? There is probably some abuse or trick with [Wild] feats, which normally require to expend an use of Wildshape to activate.

And I think Divine Minion was one of Pun-Pun ways of accession pre-FCI (level 4 if I am not mistaken)

Ooo, I forgot about Master of Many Forms...
Can I add 2 flaws to my previous build? :smallbiggrin:

kardar233
2012-10-01, 10:37 PM

Level 4, ECL 5. Divine Minion Wizard3/MoMF1.

Arcanist
2012-10-01, 10:40 PM
The Urge to Theurge - A Theurge Handbook WIP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224999) has some suggestions on how to build a dual caster.

I'm a usurper :smallfrown: