PDA

View Full Version : Color vision in the Playground!

SaintRidley
2012-09-30, 09:25 PM
Arrange the hues, see how your color vision stacks up! (http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?pageid=77&lang=en)

A 0 is a perfect score. I am... not so good with colors. 162 here.

How about the rest of the playground?

Serpentine
2012-09-30, 09:33 PM
I GOT A FOUR :elan:

I'm pretty great ^_^ Interestingly, it's apparently the purples I have the most trouble with.

Inglenook
2012-09-30, 09:39 PM
0! :smallbiggrin:

The teal-to-purple and purple-to-red gave me the most trouble.

Tonal Architect
2012-09-30, 09:43 PM
20 here, though I did it in a rather sloppy fashion.

Truth be told, after a while, I swore I was seeing every color as either black or white.

Nix Nihila
2012-09-30, 09:48 PM
Zero here as well. The teal to purple was definitely a bit tricky though (and still didn't look quite right when I submitted my score).

SaintRidley
2012-09-30, 09:55 PM
0! :smallbiggrin:

The teal-to-purple and purple-to-red gave me the most trouble.

To describe which colors I had trouble with I'd have to say, these ones:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e191/General_Ridley/color.png

JCarter426
2012-09-30, 09:55 PM
I got a zero! I was sure I had screwed something up. I guess this makes up for my nearsightedness and inability to see "3D".

Elemental
2012-09-30, 09:57 PM
I'm actually shocked by how well I did.
I mean... Thirty-four!
And I'm red-green colour deficient, and I got most of the greens right! Except for where they blended into teal...

Traab
2012-09-30, 10:10 PM
Got a 20. Not too shabby considering my eyes were starting to hurt there after so much staring trying to see how smoothly the colors transitioned.

Jeff the Green
2012-09-30, 10:22 PM
Another zero here, which I wasn't expecting. Those couple years designing for my college newspaper, maybe.

Ceric
2012-09-30, 10:34 PM
Oh man I remember this. I do so badly. I... got an 8 :smallconfused: Huh. Also, I seem to have trouble around teals and only teals.

MoonCat
2012-09-30, 10:39 PM
I got a four. While I was lining everything up, I could see which ones weren't working, but I couldn't figure out which I could replace them with to make it work. Basically, I got this, so there were four shades in a row I have a lot of trouble with.

http://i.imgur.com/LqHLGl.png

Interestingly, to me, I was certain for the longest time that instead of being blocks of a single color, each square, that is, they were darker on the inside, with inconsistent lightening effects on the outer rims. I was halfway through before I noticed that those went away for any squares not being focused on.

Riverdance
2012-09-30, 10:43 PM
I got a zero! I was sure I had screwed something up. I guess this makes up for my nearsightedness and inability to see "3D".

A little off topic but I have to ask, you can't see 3D? Did you lose an eye, or is there another reason?

Coidzor
2012-09-30, 10:46 PM
Interestingly, to me, I was certain for the longest time that instead of being blocks of a single color, each square, that is, they were darker on the inside, with inconsistent lightening effects on the outer rims. I was halfway through before I noticed that those went away for any squares not being focused on.

That and it looked like the interior had a fingerprint pattern on most of them.

Anarion
2012-09-30, 10:51 PM
I got a zero! I was not expecting that.

Kinda feel like I got eyestrain from that though. The blue through teal was rough.

Mando Knight
2012-09-30, 10:56 PM
I got 27, though I was a bit lazy... actively sorting colors for a smooth gradient tends to dry out my eyes quickly and it bothers me...

Also, I only spent like five-ish minutes on it (I think?), so there's that, too.

MoonCat
2012-09-30, 11:10 PM
That and it looked like the interior had a fingerprint pattern on most of them.

For me the interior had more of a miniature fleur-de-lis thing going for it. Ah well, eyes are all different.

At leas tit's nice I can do this, seeing as I can barely read wit one of my eyes, and am rapidly turning to a 2D world.

Oh, and now I'm been designated the official settler of color-related disputes between my parents. :smallbiggrin:

JCarter426
2012-09-30, 11:36 PM
A little off topic but I have to ask, you can't see 3D? Did you lose an eye, or is there another reason?
No, no problems other than the nearsightedness I mentioned. The thing is supposed 3D films aren't really in 3D... a movie theater isn't a holodeck; they show a 2D film that is designed to to look like it's 3D by tricking your eyes. Not everyone's eyes work the same way. I read it's something like up to 9% of the population who can't see 3D despite no major vision abnormalities. But a quick search turns up a variety of different numbers, so I doubt it's well documented.

factotum
2012-10-01, 01:53 AM
I got 26...apparently I have particular problems with blues and a lesser problem with reds. Of course, the problem with a test like this is that it assumes you have a really good monitor with perfect colour reproduction, which mine may well not be!

Feytalist
2012-10-01, 01:56 AM
I got an 8. Yeah, after a while there I was starting to go "but they all look the ******* same :/"

I read it's something like up to 9% of the population who can't see 3D despite no major vision abnormalities.

Gabe of Penny Arcade has spoken of this as well. So apparently it is a thing.

Nai_Calus
2012-10-01, 01:57 AM
I got 27, though I was a bit lazy... actively sorting colors for a smooth gradient tends to dry out my eyes quickly and it bothers me...

Also, I only spent like five-ish minutes on it (I think?), so there's that, too.

Corellon is disappointed by your lack of ability to properly appreciate the beauty of colours. :smalltongue:

0, took me 4 1/2 minutes. But I'm rather good at this sort of thing and have really good color vision.

Brother Oni
2012-10-01, 02:06 AM
30 here, almost exclusively in the blue to teal range.

Again, I'm wondering how much is due to the colour reproduction of the monitor (may try again on my home computer).

pffh
2012-10-01, 04:10 AM
I got a 240 do I win?

No surprise there considering I'm colourblind.

nedz
2012-10-01, 04:20 AM
I got 12, in three blocks of 4 at various points across the spectrum.
Maybe I need a better graphics card or monitor ?

KuReshtin
2012-10-01, 04:55 AM
Final score of 71.

Topus
2012-10-01, 05:02 AM
A decent 8 with some issues in the green and purple areas.

Yora
2012-10-01, 05:02 AM
Did it some weeks ago and I got completely perfect back then. That's quite cool. :smallbiggrin:

I wonder if I can replicate it again now.

Edit: Okay, this time I got 4.

30 here, almost exclusively in the blue to teal range.
Interesting, that's also where I had all me 4 wrong ones. Though on the final chart the error was quite plainly visible to me.

Edit: Damn, couldn't recreate the results sheet. When I tried I got this one. :smallbiggrin:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb7mg5P1yp1rud7mxo1_1280.png

I did a monitor calibration some time ago and there was one reference page that was quite easy to understand. I see if I can find that one again.

Edit: Found it: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php
This one is for LCD monitors. "Contrast" and "Gamma Calibration" are the most important ones and also very easy to do.
Sharpness might also be considered when you're already at it, but that's probably irrelevant for the color vision test.

GnomeFighter
2012-10-01, 05:13 AM
I got a 240 do I win?

No surprise there considering I'm colourblind.

Realy? I got 230 and I'm not colourblind. I suspect that it might be my moniter or my glair filter on my screen screwing it up.

pffh
2012-10-01, 05:15 AM
Realy? I got 230 and I'm not colourblind. I suspect that it might be my moniter or my glair filter on my screen screwing it up.

Yup red/green colourblind. But I'll do it on another computer later and compare the results.

KuReshtin
2012-10-01, 05:16 AM
My main issues were with the light blueish to red/pinkish scale at the end. Had a few high scorers on that one. But then I had a few blocks of three or four in each scale that were wrong.

Yora
2012-10-01, 05:19 AM
I think at the end it shows which ones were wrong and I think the height of the white bar indicates how far away from the correct place the square was.
If everything is just one place to the left or right, it might very well be bad monitor settings.

Heliomance
2012-10-01, 05:38 AM
Perfect score!

I found it fairly easy - if something didn't look quite right, I'd try shifting it a bit left and right to see if it looked any better.
Agreed with everyone else that the last two bars were by far the hardest, though.

Serpentine
2012-10-01, 06:11 AM
I'd like to see my ex do it. He has a weird colourblindness that means he can't tell the difference between green and orange, and between blue and pink.

Zaggab
2012-10-01, 06:15 AM
I scored 12, though I think I would have done better on a better monitor. My laptop mointor has a very narrow viewing angle, so I wanted to arrange the colors differently depending on if I slouched or sat straight.
Also, I have more important things to do than do online tests and post on forums, so I really don't have time for this.
Darn it...

Aedilred
2012-10-01, 06:38 AM
I also got a 4. I can't see the graph to tell exactly which ones were wrong, though.

GnomeFighter
2012-10-01, 06:38 AM

Ah ha! found the problem! I only did 3 rows rather than 4. 18 this time.

The_Final_Stand
2012-10-01, 06:49 AM
124, and now my eyes hurt.

Interestingly, it looks like I was perfect with the reds-oranges at the start. Then I was fairly consistently wrong, and got worse as I got towards the purple-violets.

It's probably worth noting that I'm short sighted to begin with, but that shouldn't have changed much.

Archonic Energy
2012-10-01, 06:55 AM
not too bad there, could be worse.

Traab
2012-10-01, 08:20 AM
No, no problems other than the nearsightedness I mentioned. The thing is supposed 3D films aren't really in 3D... a movie theater isn't a holodeck; they show a 2D film that is designed to to look like it's 3D by tricking your eyes. Not everyone's eyes work the same way. I read it's something like up to 9% of the population who can't see 3D despite no major vision abnormalities. But a quick search turns up a variety of different numbers, so I doubt it's well documented.

Im the same way. 3d movies fail, I cant even get those magic eye books to work.

Serpentine
2012-10-01, 08:24 AM
*casts Summon Optometrist* Oh GrlumpTheElder!
When it came up some time ago, Grlump said that a lazy eye... if you had a lazy eye and had to wear an eyepatch for a while... I dunno, ask him.

Adlan
2012-10-01, 10:29 AM
41, I dunno, is that good or bad? I know I see the colour purple weirdly.

Zorg
2012-10-01, 10:47 AM
Got a 15, all around the middle points of each row, which was where I'd expect to have botched it up.

Brother Oni
2012-10-01, 02:25 PM
So with a freshly calibrated monitor, I get a score of 11, with the errors equally divided among the teal, orange and far right pink region.

Hmm maybe some people who got a higher score than they expected may want to recalibrate their monitors and retake the test?

noparlpf
2012-10-01, 03:31 PM
Arrange the hues, see how your color vision stacks up! (http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?pageid=77&lang=en)

A 0 is a perfect score. I am... not so good with colors. 162 here.

How about the rest of the playground?

I have a friend who can't see green (Edit: he got 145) and a friend who sees blue and green the same (Edit: I think he may have given up). I linked this to facebook and tagged them.

I get a zero. Aww yeah. This makes me happy, means at least one or two genes are working right.

Edit: Oddly, I found it easier to distinguish slightly different colours without my glasses. Possibly because my vision and astigmatism are so bad the squares kind of blurred together. My right eye is a -4.5 and my left eye is a -3.5 (it's been getting better this year, oddly) with a -1.75 astigmatism (that's been getting worse this year as the other bit improves), if I remember correctly.

Mauve Shirt
2012-10-01, 03:38 PM
18. Bah.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-10-01, 03:40 PM
I took it three times. First time, I think I got twelve. Mostly because it was halfway through by the time I figured out that if I switch to another tab occasionally, I could see the colors better. Second time was a four, because I concentrated on the area that I didn't get the first time and didn't even do a second skim of the bottom row. Third time, I triple checked everything and got zero.

Xondoure
2012-10-01, 04:57 PM
First time got a seven. Trying a bit harder got a four. The teal line was the only one causing me problems both times.

THAC0
2012-10-01, 06:00 PM
Ten.

I knew there were a few that weren't right but I couldn't make them better!

Nepenthe
2012-10-01, 06:43 PM
I got a 3. All in the blue - teal range.

ForzaFiori
2012-10-01, 07:09 PM
25, with screw ups everywhere but purple and green apparently.

bluewind95
2012-10-01, 10:00 PM
I got a seven! Then again, I'm really tired and my focus isn't the best thing ever at the moment. I ought to try again once I'm less exhausted.

Siosilvar
2012-10-01, 10:47 PM
I got a seven! Then again, I'm really tired and my focus isn't the best thing ever at the moment. I ought to try again once I'm less exhausted.

I also got a seven. And I'm pretty sure I got a seven the last time this came up on a thread here, and the first time I took it about two years back.

Suffice to say, I saw this thread and went "oh, it's that time of the year again."

EDIT: If anyone wants to know, my mistakes were (and I think have been) all in the teal portion (and I suppose the seafoam-colored bit too)

Remmirath
2012-10-01, 11:01 PM
I got a zero last time I tried this. Let's see if I can do it again!

Several minutes later, apparently I can. That would mean it's less likely to have been luck the first time.

Cuthalion
2012-10-01, 11:15 PM
15. The blue-green-brown messed me up.

pffh
2012-10-02, 06:00 AM
Did it again on a better screen and... 240 again.

dehro
2012-10-02, 08:04 PM
24 at 3 am, with one eye half closed in sleep, on a netbook with a small screen

also, lol http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/092010/I%20secretly%20loath%20the%20colorblind%20shirt.jp g

noparlpf
2012-10-02, 08:07 PM
24 at 3 am, with one eye half closed in sleep, on a netbook with a small screen

also, lol http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/092010/I%20secretly%20loath%20the%20colorblind%20shirt.jp g

I laughed more than I should have.

CrimsonAngel
2012-10-02, 11:30 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/CrimsonAngelChris/seven.png

Time to break out my best roast duck and brandy.