PDA

View Full Version : Martial mage killer help

Azoth
2012-10-01, 02:08 AM
Okay, before I begin, let me say here and now that I know the best mage killers are other T1 casters. I am also painfully aware that mele/ranged doesn't get many nice things in official WoTC books. So I do not want any responses saying "play a caster" or "mele can't take casters" or anything near either of those affects. I only want helpful suggestions and critiques to the build and ideas I am presenting.

I want to make this char for around Mid Op. Also it is important that he not personally use or cast spells/invocations/infusions/pacts/binding/mysteries/psionic powers/ect. I know magic items will be a must for him, and accept that.

Any official WoTC source is green lit, dragon/dungeon mags/compendiums viewed with skepticism.

Race: Human
32 point buy
Str: 10 +6 enhancement= 16
Dex: 16 +4 tome +6 enenhancement= 26 so +8 to hit.
Con: 16 +4 tome +6 enhancement= 26
Int: 8 +6 enhancement= 14
Wis: 16 +5 levels +5 tome +6 enhancement=32 so +11 to hit/damage/saves/ac
Cha: 8 +6 enhancement= 14

Ranger1/monk of the passive way2/Lion Spirit barbarian1/paladin of freedom2/swashbuckler1/shiba protector1/witch hunter2/occult slayer5/xxx5

Feats:
(H) Abel Learner (required to make all the PRC skill Prereqs)
(1) alertness (prereq)
(Monk1) Combat expertise (prereq)
(Monk2) Improved Trip
(3) Improved Initiative (prereq)
(O Hole) Iron Will (prereq)
(6) Serenity
(Swash 1) Weapon Finess
(9) weapon focus (not sure)
(12) open
(15) open
(18) open

Notable ACFS:
Trade track for trapfinding
Trade away standard barb things for Pounce

The build so far has Wis to AC, saves, to hit, and damage. Gains Dex to hit instead of str. Has good base saves and +13 BAB at level 15. It gets Evasion, Mettle, a self sustaining personal Mind Blank, and a bunch of other fun little goodies. I am just not sure what to do with the last 5 levels, and if a better way to go is ranged vs mele with so few free feats.

I am considering fighter 4 at some point so I can free up enough feats to get the mage slayer line in its entirety. Again not sure. I like the idea of atleast getting shadow blade so I can end up with +19 to hit/damage base on my weapon.

Please playground help me streamline this into something that functions and can contribute to a party. Ideally he will be able to survive long enough (with support) to do the role I want, and that is to get in the mage's face and then smash it.

Eldariel
2012-10-01, 03:29 AM
Well, you need some ways to take down whatever spells they have. You should certainly have 5 levels of Witch Slayer [Tome of Magic] in there. Or do you find that too close to magic? It is a supernatural ability. It is, however, also just an ability to destroy any magic at the target.

Either way, preferably you should add some ranged capability; after all, just because they can be warded against doesn't guarantee they will be and if you're stealthy you might be able to get off a surprise.

I'd try to pick up Hide in Plain Sight from some source. Your greatest weapon is, after all, going to be some level of a surprise advantage and skills are a tad harder for a magus to replicate than most other feats, so they might not bother thus giving you an edge.

And yeah, Pierce Magical Concealment is an absolute must-have. It solves so many problems at once. If going down the Witch Hunter path I'd consider Charisma-focus instead of Wisdom-focus; it's easy enough to stack up saves anyways so I wouldn't consider that a relevant consideration. Momentary Disjunction has a relevant save DC even for many casters so it might be worth stacking Charisma for; DC 35-36 Will-save can be surprisingly difficult.

Adding Intimidating Rage + Imperious Command + Ferocity could also work for Immediate Action Cower. Overall, none of the offensive options are very reliable but having multiples at least gives you some angles to try.