PDA

View Full Version : Ground Based Spear Legend

Threadnaught
2012-10-01, 04:45 AM
Should I take this to homebrew or is it okay here?

Legend has it, that the last time the God of Destruction awoke, thirty great heroes rose to defeat it. Among them was a man who wielded a legendary Spear that could slay armies. The man himself was an expert in combat and was unbeatable on the ground. This man was simply known as "Lance."

Would I be able to build a Character who gains a load of powerful abilities as long as he doesn't leave the ground at his feet? Or would I need to homebrew up something?
So far two Feats from Races of Stone and a Feat (from that homebrew site) available for Elementals look like they can give.

+1 to Attack rolls.
+1 to Damage rolls.
120' Tremorsense.

Character is up to level 30, hopefully as pure Fighter as possible.

Spear is... Well, it's a Spear Enchanted with Returning and Distant Shot Enhancements, I'm open to suggestions for what else it could have.

I'm using Oslecamo's Monster Classes from here and Brilliant Gameologists, as well as The Giant's Diplomacy patch and BotAW PrC.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9622876&postcount=5

I will use any non core accessible online, due to half of the players being on another continent.

BTW I like the BotAW PrC and have two of the heroes using it, but for variety and flavor, Lance will not be using it.

Diovid
2012-10-01, 05:16 AM
Possibly make it an Earth Dwarf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#earthDwarves) for even more abilities while standing on the ground (it improves the Dwarf's stability even further).

As for classes, the Deepstone Sentinel prc (Tome of Battle) is probably your best bet. The Stonelord prc (Complete Warrior) and the Cavestalker prc (Drow of the Underdark) could also fit somewhat. 2 levels of the Deepwarden prc (Races of Stone) is always nice.

Having said that, homebrew probably allows you to make something a lot closer to what you want.

Edit: There's also the Elemental Warrior prc (Planar Handbook) and you could look at templates (such as Mineral Warrior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) but there are probably better ones out there).

Double edit: The above is all very dwarf and earth flavored so that might not fit with your idea at all.

only1doug
2012-10-01, 07:58 AM
Should I take this to homebrew or is it okay here?

Legend has it, that the last time the God of Destruction awoke, thirty great heroes rose to defeat it. Among them was a man who wielded a legendary Spear that could slay armies. The man himself was an expert in combat and was unbeatable on the ground. This man was simply known as "Lance."

Would I be able to build a Character who gains a load of powerful abilities as long as he doesn't leave the ground at his feet? Or would I need to homebrew up something?
So far two Feats from Races of Stone and a Feat (from that homebrew site) available for Elementals look like they can give.

+1 to Attack rolls.
+1 to Damage rolls.
120' Tremorsense.

Character is up to level 30, hopefully as pure Fighter as possible.

Spear is... Well, it's a Spear Enchanted with Returning and Distant Shot Enhancements, I'm open to suggestions for what else it could have.

Warblade focusing on mainly stone dragon techniques?

Threadnaught
2012-10-01, 09:18 AM
Earth Dwarf is good, Dwarves do exist and I could easily add Earth Dwarf as a special Dwarf more in tune with the land than the rest of the population.
Stone Devil is even more interesting, attempting to free the God of Destruction are the Demons, the Centaur Druids are keeping it imprisoned and have made an uneasy alliance with the Devils to prevent the Demons from succeeding. So a Devil could totally work as long as it's Spell like Abilities were limited.

Spell like Abilities could easily be made less than useful with the Mage Slayer line of Feats, but is the bonus they grant enough to justify getting them?

I should've mentioned in the first post, that I'm only using non core sources if I can access them online. In fact I'll amend the post with which non core sources I've already used that the players have accepted.

only1doug
2012-10-01, 09:52 AM
Both Warblade and maneuvers are available online, formatting isnt as good without the book but its available.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-01, 10:44 AM
Mineral Warrior is a LA+1 template which works as follows:

Creating a Mineral Warrior

"Mineral warrior" (also called "stony") is a template that can be added to any corporeal creature that is not a construct, undead, or an elemental (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A mineral warrior uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: The creature's type remains the same, but it gains the earth subtype. Size is unchanged.

Speed: The mineral warrior gains a burrow speed equal to one-half the base creature's highest speed. The base creature loses its fly ability, if any.

Armor Class: Natural armor improves by +3.

Special Attacks: A mineral warrior retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the earth strike ability.

Earth Strike (Ex): Once per day, the mineral warrior can make an exceptionally vicious attack against any foe that stands on stone or earth. The mineral warrior adds its Constitution bonus (if any) to its attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per racial Hit Die.

Special Qualities: A mineral warrior has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following.

Darkvision (Ex): A mineral warrior has darkvision with a range of 60 feet or the base creature's darkvision, whichever is better.

Damage Reduction (Ex): A mineral warrior gains damage reduction 8/adamantine. If it already has damage reduction, it retains both versions and uses the best one that applies.

Abilities: Change from the base creature as follows: +2 Strength, +4 Con, -2 Int (minimum 1), -2 Wis, -2 Cha.

Environment: Same as the base creature and underground.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +1.

Threadnaught
2012-10-01, 11:19 AM
Actually found a thread here with a load of Warblade stuff.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176968

Since I already have a Dwarven Defender Hero, I would prefer something with a little more mobility than 5' per round and the Stone Dragon Stance seems a little underwhelming. Between the Dwarven Defender (who will also outrun him) and the Monk (also from here), Lance would have nothing to do but throw his Spear and that isn't even supposed to be the main damage dealer, just a way of calling ranged enemies towards him.

I guess I could add the Mineral Warrior template to anything from a Human, Elf, Drow, Dwarf, Goblin, Kobold, Troll, Centaur, Ogre, Orc or Devil.
The Goblins, Trolls and Ogres have yet to be represented, but some races may not fit this role so well.