PDA

View Full Version : Advice for DMing Exploration needed.

Dr paradox
2012-10-01, 08:18 AM
just today, I believe I've discovered one of my weaknesses as a DM - keeping things running smoothly and engagingly when in exploration mode. I'm not referring to tromping around the countryside, no no, that I can do. I'm more talking about the parts of a dungeon crawl where the party isn't fighting anything. Actually, on reflection, it's whenever there isn't an immediate goal for everyone to be working towards, aside from "investigate." I can do dialogue scenes, mystery scenes, combat scenes, trap scenes, etc, but my pacing feels like it falls down when exploring.

Let me explain.

let's take the dungeon crawling example. after a fight is over, I'll describe a room again, list the exits, maybe some points of interest for examination. usually a player will take the lead to explore down some corridor, so I follow them to describe what they're doing. this, in itself, can get kinda boring, since I don't think I'm actually very good at describing distances in a dungeon that don't sound way too short or bland and samey (After some feet, you come to... Eventually, the corridor reaches...). Attempts to describe the corridors themselves often don't seem to matter to the players, but I do it anyway, because otherwise I feel like they're exploring this place.

http://www.wingdamage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/minecraft-tunnel.jpg

Anyway, after a few minutes, I'll realize, wait, the other players aren't doing anything, and they're getting distracted. Damn. I'd better ask them what they're doing. invariably, they say that they're following the first player, which leads to a clusterfumble whenever they come to anything to do, like a locked door or a chest to open, or something that might be a trap, because they're all tripping over each other to be the one to deal with it. I take this as a sign that I need a better grasp on exploration, to make it more engaging for everyone, rather than basically have one person exploring while everyone else creeps along invisibly in his shadow.

this is setting aside even when the party gets split (less concerned, their own damn fault.) or when they stall out, explorationwise. this is especially a problem in towns, where they're often unsure of what to look for or what might be there, even when they have a goal. hm. maybe I should encourage more personal goals for characters. the rogue tries setting up a bounty hunter's guild, the fighter goes looking for a courier to take a letter back home for him, etc. Wizard goes looking for another wizard to study with.

In any case, Does anyone have any advice about that kind of thing? I'm not finding a lot in the ways of specifics in my books, so I thought the voice of experience would be useful. write back soon!

prufock
2012-10-01, 08:44 AM
One quick tip I would suggest is to ask each player what they are doing before describing anything.
DM: Okay, Player one, what do you do?
Player 1: I'm going to explore this narrow passage to the left.
DM: All right. While he's doing that, what are the rest of you doing?

They might still decide to follow him (not a bad idea, "don't split the party" after all). But now they are in the dark about what the passageway contains when they make their decision.

nedz
2012-10-01, 08:53 AM
I keep my descriptions very brief for this reason. A dark, shady corridor might be exciting the first time you play, but even this gets old eventually.

I also use floorplans, a picture paints a thousand words an all that. Just plop the floorplan down and say "What do you do?".

You can describe sounds, call for listen checks, call for spot/search rolls, or even initiative.

Jay R
2012-10-01, 10:07 AM
Several options:
1. Have something happen, even if it's just a bat flying by or a rat scurrying along the floor.

2. Ask each person what his or her character is doing. If they give noncommittal answers, say, "OK, you all stand there unsure what to do. How long will you wait?"

3. Ask each what he or she is doing. 90% of the time, you can then say, "OK, nobody is watching your back. (roll dice) Fortunately, nothing happens for the first minute. Now what?"

4. Actually, just rolling dice every time you ask a question will sometimes get them re-focused.

5. Finally, this is what wandering monsters or for. They don't have to be a serious threat; they are wanderers used to focus the party. (I once had great success with three wounded orcs who ran past the party, bleeding and in obvious fear. The party correctly ignored the orcs and prepared to face what was chasing them.)

Gamer Girl
2012-10-02, 02:23 AM
In any case, Does anyone have any advice about that kind of thing? I'm not finding a lot in the ways of specifics in my books, so I thought the voice of experience would be useful. write back soon!

Describing Dungeons Well, dungeons by their nature are a bit boring to describe. They are, after all, mostly square empty rooms and hallways. And there is not much flare you can add too ''this is a 10x10 room with some dirt on the floor''. So it's normal to find dungeons boring.

Bait The reason your players are not so motivated is that they don't have good bait. If they are just doing a ''get loot'' adventure, that is boring. The first thing to do is offer them a good big bait thing. Something everyone wants or would like. A gem of Raise Dead, for example. An old, old trick is to pick any high level spell that your players think is cool and make an 'elixir' out of it. You will watch players scramble to get an ''Elixir of Shapechange''. And it's nice as they will only get one drink of it....

You can also nicely tailor the bait to each character. Such as a spellbook for a wizard or a holy symbol for a cleric. The item need not even be magical, just rare and semi-unique.

Towns You need bait in towns too. If your town is just 'a place' then it's boring. It's easy to add bait, again anything your players might want. You can also throw in lots of spice. Avoid the bland town....avoid the 'muddy historical town'. Make your towns more unique.

Dr paradox
2012-10-02, 05:38 PM
Describing Dungeons Well, dungeons by their nature are a bit boring to describe. They are, after all, mostly square empty rooms and hallways. And there is not much flare you can add too ''this is a 10x10 room with some dirt on the floor''. So it's normal to find dungeons boring.

Bait The reason your players are not so motivated is that they don't have good bait. If they are just doing a ''get loot'' adventure, that is boring. The first thing to do is offer them a good big bait thing. Something everyone wants or would like. A gem of Raise Dead, for example. An old, old trick is to pick any high level spell that your players think is cool and make an 'elixir' out of it. You will watch players scramble to get an ''Elixir of Shapechange''. And it's nice as they will only get one drink of it....

You can also nicely tailor the bait to each character. Such as a spellbook for a wizard or a holy symbol for a cleric. The item need not even be magical, just rare and semi-unique.

No, it's not that they don't have a goal. I run a story-heavy campaign, and they always have a reason to go where they go, and delve into dungeons. it isn't just a matter of aimless plundering. still, the other advice is sound. thanks!