PDA

View Full Version : Rules light, Homebrew system

C.J.Geringer
2012-10-01, 01:40 PM
First post, so sorry, if I do anything wrong. I read all the rules, so I think everything is all right.

This is my attempt at a simple, rules light, RPG tabletop system to be used as a playtest to my homebrew setting that will be used on CRPG I am doing. I want to get a few opinions on it, mainly if the rules a clear (they are to me, but I made them), as well as suggestions about what else needs to be answered before starting a PbP here. Time permitting; I also intend to provide a character creator via the Unity web player.

Essentially, I wanted a relatively simple and consistent point based system.

While there is a lot of details intentionally left for the DM's Discretion, it should give a solid base.

Easy of understanding and functionality trumps realism for this(up to a point).

Also, combat need to remain dangerous for a far while, it is not very friendly to combat heavy, hack and slash adventures, but makes for some exiting fights.

For now this is just the basics, later if I think this is clear enough I will expand with rules for magic, and a list of skills, pros, and cons.

Character creation is done through a point buy system (which can be adjusted according to the campaign’s power level), the points are used in the following categories:

Attributes: define the general characteristics intrinsic to the character. All characters have this attributes.

Strength (STR): How Strong the character is.
Constitution (CON): How tough the character is
Agility (AGI): How good the character is with large movements (e.g.: running, jumping)
Dexterity (DEX): How good the character is with fine precise movement (e.g. Lock picking, drawing)
Intelligence (INT):
Will Power (WIL):
Perception (PER):
Charisma (CHAR):

Most attributes are pretty auto-explicative. The difference between agility and Dexterity is that one determines How good the character is with large movements (e.g.: running, jumping) and how quick his reflexes are, and the other How good the character is with fine precise movements (e.g. Drawing, lock picking).

Hit points are calculated by: HP=3*CON+ (STR)

The average number may be adjusted according to the power level of the campaign. A supers campaign for example could use STR 1, equals the strength of a weightlifter.

In a more realistic campaign, an average number for Attributes would be 4, with each player having 40 points for character creation. This means an average human would have 16 HP. This is the power level I will use as default.

PCs are encouraged to create custom skills if they want one not covered by the default list(Subjected to DM's approval).

Skills: defines the character proficiencies (e.g. Medicine, Smithing, Weapon proficiencies, etc...). A character’s weapon proficiency in defense and in Attack are separate Skills, shown separated by a “/” (e.g.: Sword 3/0, Dagger 0/2).

[SPOILER]
Combat skills: used for fighting: Unarmed Longswords, short sword, dagger, greatsword. Axes, small axes, GreatAxes, Polearms, Bows, Crossboes, etc…

First aid, useful for emergency, or simple treatments

Medicine, used for diagnostics, surgery and more serious treatments.

Survival, allows character to feed yourself, in wild environments.

Stealth: Allows character to sneak around and hide.

Camouflage: Allows the character to craft camouflage to avoid detection.

Apothecary: Allows the character to craft various remedies, drugs and poisons.

Smithing: Allows the character to craft metal items

Animal Handling: Allows taming and training of animals.

Climbing: Allows the character to climb vertical surfaces.

Performance Skills: Acting, dancing, Violin, Mandolin, flute, etc…

Pros and Cons.
“Pros” cost points and give you some advantage. “Cons”, give you more points to spend but give some disadvantage (e.g: "Status" raises your social status per point spent, Honor code: ”Heroes” gives you 2 extra points to spend, but prevents you from ignoring a call for help).

There are no levels, only points. Enough experience and you get a new point to spend.

Tests are based on the d10 and test an attribute and proficiency as needed. (e.g.: a character who wants to make a diagnostic and has PER 5, and 2 ranks in medicine, he a rolls a d10 and must roll equal or lower than 7 to succeed) 10 is ALWAYS a critical failure, and 1 is a critical hit.

Opposed tests are based on 5 + the player’s relevant number - the opponent’s (e.g.: A player wants to arm wrestle against an NPC, he has strength 6 and the NPC has strength 7, he must roll a 4 or lower (5+6-7).

Combat:

When combat starts character rolls 1d10+AGI for initiative. The turn order goes from highest to lowest initiative, in a tie, both characters reroll.

To attack, a Character must succeed in a opposed text of his appropriate Attribute and skill versus the opponents attribute and skill, normally this means Agility and Weapon skill for Melee weapons, and Dexterity and Weapon skill for ranged weapons, Shields work just like weapons used for defense, but give a bonus to defense, and penalty for Agility.

Damage is based on a character’s weapon damage (expressed in dice)+ Strength and skill bonus - Opponents damage reduction which is based on the opponent’s armor + his appropriate skill bonus.(e.g.: Character with a short sword(d8) and STR 6 and the Skill "Short Sword 3/0" hits an opponent wearing leather armor(DR:2)with Dagger 0/2, He rolls a seven, so he causes 7+6+3-2-2= 12 points of damage), Critical Hits ignore all of the target’s damage reduction, sneak attacks, ignore the targets skill but not his DR.

Holding a weapon two-handed increases your strength bonus by 50%(rounded down)

The heavier the armor, the higher the DR it gives, but also higher the penalties it applies to Dexterity and agility.

Once a character’s HP reaches 0, they are unconscious, if their hit points reaches –half their Maximum HP they die(e.g.: A character with 10 hit points dies when he arrives at -5 hit points).

Mistwing
2012-10-02, 04:23 AM
I actually rather like it. Though you may want to be clearer on what skills they are, how much they cost in points, and what they do. I was left with a huge chunk missing in my understanding of how this game plays. I know what factors in, but I would not know the values. or what I need to do to get those values.

Further more, what about speed?

A fully functional and simple enough system in general. But once more complex concepts get involved, you'll have to make sure you've got precise enough values to keep track of all the diffrent numbers.

C.J.Geringer
2012-10-02, 05:03 AM
Will Update a default skill list for my fantasy campaign later, But PCs are encouraged to create custom skills if they want one not covered by the default list(Subjected to DM's approval). I did not put their cost, because it is a simple 1 to 1(1 point buys one rank in the skill)

The values depend on the power level of the campaign, for example, in a super's campaign, we would equal 1 strength to a weightlifter.

I will update the OP post to be more specific to the campaign I intend to run, A fantasy campaign, with a power level similar to David Gemmel's stories.

In a more realistic campaign, an average number for Attributes would be 4, with each player having 40 points for character creation. This means an average human would have 10 HP

This power level should means that combat remains dangerous fro a while, since a luck strike(critical hit+good roll) from a low level opponent can still hurt a more advanced PC.

Speed is based on AGI+ Relevant Skill(e.g.: Agility+Climbing for vertical speed, Agility+Running), adapted to the campaign´s power level, I intend to use, speed=( AGI+Running)* 1 meter per second, For continuous running the player would have to keep passing, CON+Running tests.

Thank you very much for the feedback, I understand the system will probably grow as it is used, part of the reason I want to use it to run the campaign is to improve it.

C.J.Geringer
2012-10-02, 12:59 PM
Updated the OP, with spoiler tags, for ease of reading, and added a sample list of skills.

C.J.Geringer
2012-10-07, 11:01 AM
Increased Character´s hit point