PDA

View Full Version : Critique my pathfinder race(Advanced Race Guide, PF)

Wazirak1
2012-10-01, 03:57 PM
Hello, I present for your discussion and critique the following race. Not much in the way of favored names and settings, as it is intended for my own use.

Nymph-kissed
Fey type, medium size
speed 20 feet
+2 int and cha, -2 strength

Nymph-kissed begin play knowing Common and sylvan, those with a sufficient intelligence score may choose from the following list: Aquan, Terran, Celestial.

Skill focus to a skill of your choice at 1st, 8th, and 16th level.

Advanced Constitution: +2 constitution

Additionally, and as an aside, What would an aasimar with an elysian titan descendent look like? and how would such happen? >.>

The LOBster
2012-10-01, 08:15 PM
As someone whose interest in creating races for Pathfinder (actually, all interest in Pathfinder) died when he skimmed through the Advanced Race Guide and saw how Paizo went out of their way to discourage making Construct races, I'm probably not qualified to give you advice on the mechanical aspects of the race.

However, I think you need to provide a description of your race. Where are they from? What's their origin? Do they have nations of their own, or are they half-breeds like half-orcs and half-elves? What do they look like and how do they generally act? That's the stuff I can critique, although I must admit I'm biased to less "traditional" races like Shifters, Warforged, Goliaths and Raptorans over the standard Elf and Dwarf variants.

gr8artist
2012-10-02, 09:08 AM
Uhh, I'd compare it to the Half-Elf or Human, since you get so many extra skills.
Assuming you get skill focus for skills you plan to max, that's +18 skill bonus total, compared to Humans' +20.
Ability scores +6/-2 as opposed to +2/-0 for Humans.
Special senses? Racial skill modifiers? Assuming none, you're on par with humans, except you trade in their feat and 10 feet of movement for your extra +2 on ability scores.

I'd say you're underpowered. Drop the +2 Con and take a save bonus instead. Add some racial modifiers to bluff/diplomacy/etc. Drop the 16th level skill focus and take some casting modifier instead.
That should make it seem more feyish.

Wazirak1
2012-10-02, 01:10 PM
the future levels of skill focus and, indeed all things included here, are as allowed by the Advanced race guide, but you're probably right. Also, as I said before, this is mainly a question of balance, flavor is in my mind, as it is mainly intended for my use.