PDA

View Full Version : Help with a 12 level Gestalt police officer

Zelkon
2012-10-01, 08:35 PM
I'm playing in a character in a campaign set in Ravinica. He acts as a police officer-type, law enforcer guy. It's level 12 gestalt game and I think I'm going for a pursuit type, you know, overcome obstacles and then use the other side as a blaster. How would you suggest I do this?

Randomguy
2012-10-01, 09:00 PM
Fluff wise, paladin or crusader would fit very well. Urban ranger might work as well, and that will leave you with enough skill points that you don't need a skillmonkey class on the other side, too.

I'd suggest getting either a high int or at least 4+int skill points on one side, since you'll need skill points for tumble, climb, jump and things that would be useful in a chase.

Maybe a sorcadin//rogue, for some blasting as well? Warmage would also work, but it would be a less powerful option.

I'm not familiar with Ravincia. Are there any races or classes restricted by the setting?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-01, 09:07 PM
Paladin 12// Swordsage 1/ Cloistered Cleric 1/ Factotum 8/ Swordsage 2

Divine Counterspell ACF in CM and Charging Smite ACF in PH2 for Paladin. Take the feat Divine Defiance from FC2, powered by your Cleric turning uses. Get Practiced Spellcaster: Paladin, and cast (Lesser Rod of Extended) Luminous Armor every day (you can wear a robe over it to hide the luminescence).

Travel Devotion, Knowledge Devotion, and the Inquisition domain from Cloistered Cleric. Also consider picking up Law Devotion if you can stack Night Sticks. Keep in mind you can use Wands of any Cleric spells.

Take two flaws, get Font of Inspiration (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606) three times. I'd also take Power Attack and Leap Attack. Get plenty of skill tricks from CS.

Note that you can spend a turn attempt to activate Divine Defiance, allowing you to use Divine Counterspell as an immediate action. Since it makes a dispel check, it will benefit from your Inquisition domain, as well as any items you get that would increase your effective turning level (Ephod of Authority is a cheap +1). You'll want a Reliquary Holy Symbol and at least one Night Stick to power your divine feats.

Your Charging Smite will add +36 damage, you can cast Rhino's Rush via Paladin to double your charging damage, and you can get a +1 Merciful two-handed weapon to easily capture suspects who resist. Factotum will provide some support casting, like Web, Grease, Bands of Steel, etc.

ben-zayb
2012-10-01, 09:44 PM
Probably use Wildshape Ranger so you could get Master of Many forms. Between 6+Int skill points, full BAB, Animal Companion, Track, and Combat Style, you got all the pursuing and "blasting" that you need. For the other side, I dunno. Probably Monk, Swordsage or Ardent for more synergy (or Psywar, just try not treading on Royal Smacking territories).

If I understood correctly, however, your setting is in Ravnica. Which means either your playing an Azorius or Boros guy (most likely the latter). In that case, you should also get the Urban Ranger (to cut the nature theme out or something) as suggested previously.

This one is pretty cheesy, but if my setting assumption is right, Half-Minotaur (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/half-minotaur.shtml) template fits with a Boros character. Half-Minotaur is pretty OP for a +1LA, though, and is a 3rd party material, so consult the DM. Alternatively, there is the good 'ol Half-Giant template from the SRD/XPH.

Arcanist
2012-10-01, 09:46 PM
Use Justicar. It is literally all about chaining up the enemy target and hauling them in for judgement :smallamused:

gorfnab
2012-10-01, 10:46 PM
Use Justicar. It is literally all about chaining up the enemy target and hauling them in for judgement :smallamused:
And it's the most recent Iron Chef Optimization (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255215) ingredient.

Diovid
2012-10-02, 02:57 AM
As others have said, Urban Ranger (probably this version (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a), not this one (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rangerVariantUrbanRang er)) is a good starting point. There are more ranger variants you can tack on it such as:

Champion of the Wild (CC, p 50): Lose spellcasting for bonus feats.

Distracting Attack (PHB 2, p 55): Lose animal companion. Whenever you hit with an attack, the enemy is then considered flanked.

Half-Elf Ranger Substitution Levels (RD, p 158):
1st level: Urban Tracking, lose tracking
4th level: Street magic (swap spell lists)
13th level: Skill mastery, lose camouflage

Shadow Sword Substitution Levels (CV, p 49): add Knowledge (history)
3rd level: Walk in Silence (+5 Move Silently for 1 round 1 day/2 ranger levels), replaces Endurance

Trap Expert (DS, p 12): Lose tracking. Gain trap finding, and disable device as a class skill.

As for prcs; Crimsom Scourge (Cityscape), Bloodhound (Complete Adventurer) and Justicar (Complete Warrior) are all worth a look I think.