PDA

View Full Version : The Red Tide [OOC]

BelGareth
2012-10-01, 09:14 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Bqc18Sq-bM0/UFgbDS4mqiI/AAAAAAAABBg/w5FWBVyY2bI/s640/undead_army.jpg

The Red Tide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13990504#post13990504)[OOC]

Gerrash laced up his breaches having splashed his unwanted wares into the frigid morning snow, steam still rose from the ground as he wheeled on his heels towards the watch tower. "Oi! Fergan, I saws you lookin! Aint got nuthin you aint, unless o'course you is a flowerin virgin, Har Har!" He yells out as he tromps back up the path towards the tall thin tower. The man on the parapet yelled something back and a wad of spit landed near Gerrash, grimacing and laughing like a school boy he made his way back and pounded on the door until someone came to open it.

"What do ya want Gerrash? We gots to keep the warmth in ere, and you is takin to watering the grounds way to often!"

"Lemme in!" yelled Gerrash, "I'm cold!" he whined

"We're all cold, you nimwit! We're in the farging mountains!" the door opened slightly "Mayhap you can think of the captains daughter to warm your cockels eh?" the man grinned, it had been the very same thing that had bought Gerrash to the Tower.

"Oh shut yur mouth!" he said pushing through the man.

He made it one step before the red fletched arrow came pushing through his chest. He looked down and stumbled into the other man incredulously. "What the..." two more erupted from his arm, another came through his neck silencing him forever.

Before the man holding Gerrash could do anything, several shapes in white moved towards the door, arrows preceding them, it wasn't a minute before the tower was silenced.

And as quickly as they had come, they left, like white phantoms, the only trace of their passage the dead guards with the red fletching.

Premise

You are an Elite commando unit, members of the Mirranoran Army. Word has come down that something has happened at the Lonely tower. You have been summoned to be briefed in 1 hour.

The kingdom of Mirranor has been at peace for several years, however it keeps a standing army, relic of past times not soon forgotten. It has started to degrade and the city has recently decided to contract several units out as mercenaries across the planes, the city Mages enabling the passage to their clients locale.

The closest kingdom was lost in the war and only devastation and ruin is East of the nation.

Anything else just ask, feel free to write whatever you want into your backstory, be creative, make new NPCS etc...

Notable NPC's
King Gareth
Queen Elise
Grand Marshall Edwin, Commander of the Royal armies
Marshall Francis, Commander of the Special forces (your boss)

You can pick a leader, but it is not necessary.

Map

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-745UQSnHdVc/UFgbaCUFk9I/AAAAAAAABBo/AGYapqGTUGs/s800/Mirranor_Fantasy_map_by_Djekspek.jpg

Don't worry about the text, I stole this map and we're just using it as a geographical reference.

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
3.5 DnD.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
Custom world setting of Mirranor. See map.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
4/5 players.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
The game will be on these forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
12th level, +1La buyoff for free

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
45,000gp, see houserules below

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
I'm good for anything, but run it by me to make sure. (including homebrew)
No homebrew Bo9, I like it the way it is.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
As above, run it by me.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
32 PB, Max HP's

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
Alignment is in place for spells and spell affects. I'm lenient on Alignment restricted classes and Paladins have a more grey area.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
Have at, no penalty.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
I will make all my own and some of yours, you will make most of yours.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
Several.

Teleportation is blocked by force effects.
Gates work on the same plane
We are going to use a modified Defense Bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm), half of the bonus is a deflection bonus while the remainder is a bonus to your Armor AC. (ask me if you are unsure which column to use)
Feats are every other level
The Big 6 items (items granting enhancement bonuses to ability scores, resistance bonuses to saves, enhancement or deflection or natural armor bonuses to AC, and enhancement bonuses to attack) no longer have those functions. Instead, you gain +1 to each ability score at every even level, which roughly approximates these bonuses while making you more all-around competent. This bonus replaces the standard +1 to one ability every 4 levels.
Retroactive skill points.
no flaws
Psionic-Magic Transparency
No leadership
Fractional Saves/BAB

Rank

While you are an elite unit, rank doesn't mean a whole lot, but you do have it.
Rank is based on your would'be leadership score as follows (and rank structure):
{table=head]Score|Rank
1|Pvt
2|Private First Class
3|Lance Corporal
4|Corporal
5|Sergeant
6|Staff Sergeant
7|Gunnery Sergeant
8|1st Sergeant
9|Sergeant Major
10|Warrant Officer 2nd class
11|Warrant Officer 1st class
12|Chief Warrant Officer
13|2nd Lieutenant
14|1st Lieutenant
15|Captain
16|Major
17|Lt. Col
18|Colonel[/table]

Stole some of these From PairO'Dice Lost, I am currently playing with them and I love they way it works out.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
Yuppers, a 10 Minute background (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91813) is a minimum.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
Mostly hack and slash missions, some RP and some puzzles.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
As above, ask me.

Notes

I prefer a slow and steady approach, so this is going to reflect that, do not expect a post every day, I will be going at a rate of around 1-2+/week. If you can't handle that, don't apply.

{table=head]Player|Character|Color|Symbol
PairO'Dice Lost|Lt. Col. Randolph Gedarath (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=449217)|Crimson|Ra
Bindin Garoth|Nexus Garoth (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=448823)|Dark Green|N
Lostbutseeking|Amelia Deveen (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=447803)|Dark Orange|A
KoL|Cpt. Derek Redmond (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=447683)|Grey|D
Amnestic|Scale (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=504896)|?|?
Autopsibiofeeder|Aydin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=298754)|?|
[/table]

Ex players
{table=head]Player|Character|Color|Symbol
JKTrickster|Colonel Zeigfreid 'Ziggs' Underbough (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=448506)|Blue, Purple, Green & Magenta|Z
Chambers|Reya Silvenfel (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=449200)|Bold Slate Gray|Re
[/table]

IC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13990504#post13990504)

KingOfLaughter
2012-10-01, 09:31 PM
It's actually Cpt, not LCol (self demotion so we don't have a group of higher ups.)

He shall speak in Gray

Chambers
2012-10-01, 10:18 PM
Bold Slate Gray will work for Reya.

BelGareth
2012-10-01, 10:21 PM
First question:

Are you all going to elect a leader or do you all have a healthy amount of respect?

In my opinion, elite special units, need a leader, you do not often get the time to stand around and think/talk about strategy (as most DnD sessions tend to do)

Chambers
2012-10-01, 10:30 PM
Reya is not a military leader.

Judging from the other characters backgrounds, Reya wouldn't trust Ziggs to make tactical decisions that don't involve blowing something up. Amelia seems like she'd be a fine leader until something upset her. Randolph appears to both know how to lead and not be a jerk about it, so she'd be fine with him in charge. I couldn't find backgrounds for Derek or Nexus so I don't really know how much of a leader they'd be.

KingOfLaughter
2012-10-01, 11:03 PM
Derek was a militaman, when he got his powers he joined the army as a grunt, respected, and occasionally, (but not always) leading, and he was soon forced in to Spec Ops. He's loyal to his soldiers, and fine with leading, but usually doesn't.

On that note, I don't mind it if the others should vote for it, but I'm not going to demand it. :P

Edit: He's the newest and (probably) lowest ranking of the group.

BelGareth
2012-10-01, 11:09 PM
I'm actually thinking this will be better done in game, should be interesting, and a good way to flesh out how well you know each other.

IC is in the works, but most likely will be tomorrow as not all players have chimed in.

KingOfLaughter
2012-10-01, 11:11 PM
Rog, just glad to get to play. This should be a fun game.

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-10-02, 12:23 AM
Randolph Gedarath here, reporting for duty and speaking in crimson.

BelGareth
2012-10-02, 12:51 AM
For those still awake.
IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13990504#post13990504) is up, it is also linked in the title of the opening post as well as the bottom.

Enjoy.

Knowledge -

A Terrellian Corvette is a 10 man small fast airship, they are nothing but coolness distilled into the form of pure awesome. (and yes it can do the kessel run in less than 12 parsecs)

The Lost Tower Outpost is where rejects, morons, soldiers who messed up get sent to. It is on the border of the realm and never reports in on time. It is common knowledge they get drunk, a lot.

Each outpost is supported by a poor cleric who is tuned to the reporting stone and is tasked with sending hourly reports. Each stone is also attuned to be scried upon by HQ for regular checkups.

Lostbutseeking
2012-10-02, 01:07 AM
Crimson being taken I will try a dark orange.

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-10-02, 01:18 AM
(and yes it can do the kessel run in less than 12 parsecs)

I hate it when people keep quoting that incorrect phrase. :smallsigh: It's fewer! Fewer than 12 parsecs! Come on, people, less vs. fewer is elementary-school grammar! ;)

EDIT: Although, talking about the Kessel Run after titling an IC chapter "Into the Maw" is remarkably appropriate. And I see what I think might be an oblique reference to the Corellian Bloodstripe. Kudos.

JKTrickster
2012-10-02, 02:40 AM
Reya is not a military leader.

Judging from the other characters backgrounds, Reya wouldn't trust Ziggs to make tactical decisions that don't involve blowing something up.

Honestly, I personally wouldn't even trust Ziggs with that much :smalltongue:

Just wondering, but shouldn't this be decided by rank? I have no idea how special forces actually interact, but doesn't the military generally follow rank?

I haven't even been in the military before so I have no idea if that's correct. It certainly is that way in common media.

As for speech colors, I would like Blue for speech.

For thoughts, can I choose 3 other colors?

If no one minds I would like to grab purple, green, and......magenta~~

If no one minds though. I would hate to steal someone else's choice of speech just cause I was greedy (and cause my character is insane).

bindin garoth
2012-10-02, 04:38 AM
Nexus will take Darkgreen.

IC post should be up shortly, and background has been moved to my sheet. Belgareth, do you need me to extend it any? or is it good the way it is?

Lostbutseeking
2012-10-02, 11:40 AM
To comment on leaders, Lt colonel Randolph is probably best suited between rank and reality with Ziggs on assignment from another branch that is automatically subservient (ie the engineers) to avoid that being an issue.

JKTrickster
2012-10-02, 12:11 PM
To comment on leaders, Lt colonel Randolph is probably best suited between rank and reality with Ziggs on assignment from another branch that is automatically subservient (ie the engineers) to avoid that being an issue.

That sounds perfect!

Wait what is everyone's rank anyway? I thought it was determined by Cha/Leadership score. I thought being Colonel would put Ziggs among one of the lower ranks in the group :smallconfused:

I'm pretty sure at least half of you have a better than 18 stat in Cha right?

Chambers
2012-10-02, 12:20 PM
Here's how I calculated Reya's rank (Major):

Level: 12
Charisma mod: +4 (16 total)
Failure: -1 (15 total)
Special Power: +1 (16 total)

BelGareth
2012-10-02, 12:30 PM
I hate it when people keep quoting that incorrect phrase. :smallsigh: It's fewer! Fewer than 12 parsecs! Come on, people, less vs. fewer is elementary-school grammar! ;)

EDIT: Although, talking about the Kessel Run after titling an IC chapter "Into the Maw" is remarkably appropriate. And I see what I think might be an oblique reference to the Corellian Bloodstripe. Kudos.
Yikes! I quoted it wrong....how is it supposed to be?

And no the reference was actually to the USMC NCO blood stripe, for which I beleive the corellian bloodstripe was created from.

Honestly, I personally wouldn't even trust Ziggs with that much :smalltongue:

Just wondering, but shouldn't this be decided by rank? I have no idea how special forces actually interact, but doesn't the military generally follow rank?

I haven't even been in the military before so I have no idea if that's correct. It certainly is that way in common media.

As for speech colors, I would like Blue for speech.

For thoughts, can I choose 3 other colors?

If no one minds I would like to grab purple, green, and......magenta~~

If no one minds though. I would hate to steal someone else's choice of speech just cause I was greedy (and cause my character is insane).

Elite units tend not to care about rank and more about billet (squad leader, team leader, etc), but the general idea is that a Officer will lead the unit, but that is not always the case, a lot of the time unit leaders are dependent on the most experienced member.

And quite, frankly the Commisioned and No officer/Non-commissioned officer schema is outdated, it was put into place because the nobilatas didn't want to muck around with the 'regular' troops and therefore the leaders were required to be educated, which allowed those with the wealth and prestige to become officers and those who could not afford (majority of people) to never reach the heights of command.

Now a days this is still the case, and requiring officers to have a degree is nonsensical, at the least, rank should be based off merit, in my humble opinion. Sorry about that segue.

Nexus will take Darkgreen.

IC post should be up shortly, and background has been moved to my sheet. Belgareth, do you need me to extend it any? or is it good the way it is?

No should be fine.

BelGareth
2012-10-02, 12:31 PM
Also:

those who do not have there TMB in their character sheet, please do so.

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-10-02, 12:49 PM
Yikes! I quoted it wrong....how is it supposed to be?

No, you quoted it correctly; note the white text in my post. Parsecs are actually a unit of distance, and a lot of people complain about Han talking about them as if they're a unit of speed, and so they complain about people quoting the line because it's incorrect. I was making a joke out of that by complaining about the incorrect grammar (less vs. fewer) rather than the inaccurate units. But I guess the joke wasn't funny if I have to explain it.

BelGareth
2012-10-02, 01:06 PM
No, you quoted it correctly; note the white text in my post. Parsecs are actually a unit of distance, and a lot of people complain about Han talking about them as if they're a unit of speed, and so they complain about people quoting the line because it's incorrect. I was making a joke out of that by complaining about the incorrect grammar (less vs. fewer) rather than the inaccurate units. But I guess the joke wasn't funny if I have to explain it.

Ah, but I was thinking the joke loses its funny just as i read you saying it, so it made it funny...Good to know, I thought it was iffy as Parsecs are a unit of measurement. interesting.

KingOfLaughter
2012-10-02, 01:33 PM
Derek is a Captain, he's newest to Spec For but has Militia/Reg for training.

What do you mean by TMB BelGareth?

BelGareth
2012-10-02, 01:35 PM
Derek is a Captain, he's newest to Spec For but has Militia/Reg for training.

What do you mean by TMB BelGareth?

sorry, 10 minute background

KingOfLaughter
2012-10-02, 01:43 PM
sorry, 10 minute background

Oh, Rog will do.

(Also note on military exp, I'm in the CF, so if you want advice on small things like Drill/etc I can help out)

BelGareth
2012-10-02, 01:50 PM
Oh, Rog will do.

(Also note on military exp, I'm in the CF, so if you want advice on small things like Drill/etc I can help out)

Whats the CF? (Canadian Forces?)

And I should be good on military knowledge, but if i need help i'll let you know!

(Was in the USMC)

KingOfLaughter
2012-10-02, 01:54 PM
Yeah Canadian Forces, ah. Alrighty, didn't know that, but it makes sense. :P

JKTrickster
2012-10-03, 01:58 AM
Sorry for being so late with posting. I will post tomorrow.

There's no need to wait for me if you don't want to - don't really have any questions planned.

JKTrickster
2012-10-07, 04:08 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I've finally posted. Kind of experimenting with different ways of presenting all the parts I want in PbP.

Hopefully I managed to set a good start at least!

I also noticed that Purple and Magenta are really similar. Might have to change one of them afterwards.

Lostbutseeking
2012-10-07, 06:42 AM
I also noticed that Purple and Magenta are really similar. Might have to change one of them afterwards.

Yeah, I think changing one of them would help a bit.

JKTrickster
2012-10-07, 12:54 PM
Yeah I'll change Purple to Turquoise

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-10-08, 11:05 PM
Chambers, Rand would be a good choice for Reya's IwSA. Since Rand's combat contribution will mostly be through astral constructs and the occasional terrain feature, and he can pop out Personal Constructs as a swift action, he can spare actions for healing if needed.

KingOfLaughter
2012-10-08, 11:06 PM
We have two people who can summon air elemental, and one (myself) who is one. :P

Chambers
2012-10-08, 11:15 PM
Sounds good. I've never used that spell before and found myself wondering what I could do with it as it's on one of her Domains.

JKTrickster
2012-10-09, 07:32 PM
Actually yeah I agree - Imbue With Spell Ability should really go to Rand.

Also the text was Red for some reason....but I like it! If possible, I would like Red, Purple, and Green for thoughts and Blue for speech!

At the same time, could I make one edit to my spells known? At 2nd level spells, I have Web And Glitterdust....

Could I change it to Web and Mirror Image? Just this one edit? :smallbiggrin:

BelGareth
2012-10-09, 08:58 PM
Actually yeah I agree - Imbue With Spell Ability should really go to Rand.

Also the text was Red for some reason....but I like it! If possible, I would like Red, Purple, and Green for thoughts and Blue for speech!

At the same time, could I make one edit to my spells known? At 2nd level spells, I have Web And Glitterdust....

Could I change it to Web and Mirror Image? Just this one edit? :smallbiggrin:

That's fine, tbh,, I would get rid of Web and keep glittedust, Web is going to be close to useless with such high level mooks.

Edit: post coming tomorrow

JKTrickster
2012-10-09, 09:20 PM
Ahh okay!

Hmm after comparing the two I think you're right. Glitterdust retains the ability to detect invisible creatures. Web isn't actually useful when you think about it.

BelGareth
2012-10-11, 12:17 AM
Ah and I said I would post today didn't I?....This will have to happen tomorrow, I was out sick most of the day, and well forgot about this post....do not fret though! a post is coming...

JKTrickster
2012-10-11, 12:44 AM
That's fine, I posted way so late anyway.

KingOfLaughter
2012-10-11, 12:45 AM
Tis fine with me lord DM sire. :P

BelGareth
2012-10-11, 03:30 PM
What vision do you all have?

Chambers
2012-10-11, 03:56 PM
Hawk vision!

Reya is an outsider from her Divine Minion blessing and thus has Darkvision 60ft.

bindin garoth
2012-10-11, 04:32 PM
See Invisibility plus perfect visibility through any darkness, including magical darkness.

Spot is +10 if you need that too.

KingOfLaughter
2012-10-11, 04:41 PM
I have darkvision 60ft normally, plus Greater Invisibility, incorporeal subtype, and Silenced due to Whispering Winds being active.

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-10-11, 07:09 PM
Plain ol' normal humanoid vision for Rand. That's why he's leading from the back. :smallwink:

JKTrickster
2012-10-12, 12:31 AM
Ziggs has 60 ft of Darkvision and Superior Low Light Vision.

I'll post the details of the runes here.

EDIT:

Ziggs has 30 "grenades" - balls with an Explosive Rune and a Martial Trigger. 10 of the Fire, Ice, and Electricity Elemental Bases. Nice and versatile arsenal in case he needs to pack a bunch.

Ziggs gives each teammate an "orange" - they have an Arcane Rune of Mirror Image with the Command Word trigger - "Ziggs!" Upon saying "Ziggs!" with a Standard Action, it activates a Mirror Image on them.

EDIT2:

Oops just realized how little time 30 grenades are....

May I also add 3 grenades of Summon Monster IV and 2 Sleet Storms?

Lostbutseeking
2012-10-12, 07:52 PM
I've got darkvision 60', christmas tree radar 120' and see invisibility.

BelGareth
2012-10-12, 09:39 PM
I've got darkvision 60', christmas tree radar 120' and see invisibility.

Oh ya, Wanted to let you know, you inspired me to make a homebrew class: The Phantom Knight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256905)

And to everyone, I will be using Homebew for badies, just an FYI.

KingOfLaughter
2012-10-12, 11:23 PM
Oh ya, Wanted to let you know, you inspired me to make a homebrew class: The Phantom Knight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256905)

And to everyone, I will be using Homebew for badies, just an FYI.

Interesting class.

JKTrickster
2012-10-16, 01:45 AM
Ooh I wonder if we're run into a trap! :smallbiggrin:

JKTrickster
2012-10-16, 07:20 PM
Oooh ominous she-wolf!

If no one minds, I double post and roll my knowledge check.

Knowledge (Arcana)
[roll0]

KingOfLaughter
2012-10-16, 09:17 PM
Not sure if I can make untrained knowledge checks, but on the chance I can,

[roll0]

JKTrickster
2012-10-16, 10:08 PM
I'm pretty sure Knowledge Checks are trained only, unless you have one of those special feats/class features that allow you to use them untrained (without skill ranks in them).

BelGareth
2012-10-16, 10:26 PM
I'm pretty sure Knowledge Checks are trained only, unless you have one of those special feats/class features that allow you to use them untrained (without skill ranks in them).

This is true, you must have 1 rank in them to use them.

KingOfLaughter
2012-10-16, 10:55 PM
Roger, might have to invest in some knowledge later on then. :P

bindin garoth
2012-10-17, 10:14 AM
Probably should of hung back with the rest..........

bindin garoth
2012-10-17, 12:04 PM
Sorry for second reply, need to roll Initiative!

[roll0]

First combat!

Lostbutseeking
2012-10-18, 01:24 PM
Knowledge arcana based on Ziggs rather colorful information.
[roll0]

Chambers
2012-10-22, 06:51 PM
Was Reya able to cast Spell Resistance? It wasn't clear, and she's got Flyby Attack so she could have done that and moved if it came down to either/or.

How high up is the Flying Angel?

BelGareth
2012-10-22, 06:56 PM
Was Reya able to cast Spell Resistance? It wasn't clear, and she's got Flyby Attack so she could have done that and moved if it came down to either/or.

How high up is the Flying Angel?

she was able to cast spell resistance.

Chambers
2012-10-22, 06:57 PM
Cool. And the altitude of the angel?

BelGareth
2012-10-22, 07:41 PM
Cool. And the altitude of the angel?

You can guestimate it at roughly 200~

BelGareth
2012-10-22, 09:44 PM
Team initiative will use the highest bonus.

Also, only 1 standard action.

JKTrickster
2012-10-23, 12:30 AM
Ooh looks like we'll be using the +16 bonus to Initiative.

Only one surprise round huh?

Let's get started!

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-10-23, 01:56 AM
I'm currently deciding on my action, and you know, I'd forgotten how much psionics sucks at combat-speed terrain shaping. If you're a Vancian caster you can use Rapid Spell and metamagic reducers to make a barrier or difficult terrain out of thin air with major creation, you have three billion standard-action wall of X spells on your list, and you can get that down further with the dozens of items/feats/spells that let you Quicken spells for free...but if you're a shaper you either used Linked Power to get a single power down to a sub-one-round manifesting time, cheese out anchor plane or temporal acceleration to get tons of extra rounds to manifest with, or take 10 minutes to manifest it, with nothing really in between. :smallsigh:

Wall of ectoplasm is nice, but not long-lasting and not exactly what you'd call subtle. Once this encounter is over I'm strongly tempted to pick up Linked Power via psychic reformation to allow Rand to impersonate an earthbender during combat, if that's okay with our Almighty DM.

BelGareth, would I be correct in assuming from the fact that the L just takes up one square while the T takes up four that the wolf is Medium and thus would fit within an 11-foot-radius wall of ectoplasm?

bindin garoth
2012-10-23, 06:09 AM
Forgot to roll initiative

[roll0]

BelGareth
2012-10-23, 11:05 AM
I'm currently deciding on my action, and you know, I'd forgotten how much psionics sucks at combat-speed terrain shaping. If you're a Vancian caster you can use Rapid Spell and metamagic reducers to make a barrier or difficult terrain out of thin air with major creation, you have three billion standard-action wall of X spells on your list, and you can get that down further with the dozens of items/feats/spells that let you Quicken spells for free...but if you're a shaper you either used Linked Power to get a single power down to a sub-one-round manifesting time, cheese out anchor plane or temporal acceleration to get tons of extra rounds to manifest with, or take 10 minutes to manifest it, with nothing really in between. :smallsigh:

Wall of ectoplasm is nice, but not long-lasting and not exactly what you'd call subtle. Once this encounter is over I'm strongly tempted to pick up Linked Power via psychic reformation to allow Rand to impersonate an earthbender during combat, if that's okay with our Almighty DM.

BelGareth, would I be correct in assuming from the fact that the L just takes up one square while the T takes up four that the wolf is Medium and thus would fit within an 11-foot-radius wall of ectoplasm?

Yes and.....Yes...aw my poor she wolf...:smalleek:

bindin garoth
2012-10-23, 11:10 AM
Yes and.....Yes...aw my poor she wolf...:smalleek:

That's what she gets for being a bad dog and trying to report us :smalltongue:

Lostbutseeking
2012-10-23, 05:48 PM
Ooh looks like we'll be using the +16 bonus to Initiative.

Only one surprise round huh?

Let's get started!

I Swear I cant help being twitchy!

Really, really twitchy.

JKTrickster
2012-10-24, 05:32 PM
But thanks to that, we're off to a pretty good start!

BelGareth
2012-10-26, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the reference KoL.

As it doesn't have some specific rules in the ability, I'll add some:

Range: limited to 10ft per 5HD. (20 ft), the air elemental must be within close proximity to draw the air out.

Times per day: An amount of times per day equal to your con mod. It's a powerful ability and needs a limit per day.

These affects will take place after your current action, letting it stand as is.

JKTrickster
2012-10-27, 02:12 PM
I wonder if there are more enemies around somewhere?

These guys don't sound like they would be using those arrows (but of course we don't know that yet :smalltongue:)

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-10-27, 05:15 PM
I wonder if there are more enemies around somewhere?

These guys don't sound like they would be using those arrows (but of course we don't know that yet :smalltongue:)

I'm sure there are, but hopefully they're in the tower completely unaware of what's going on outside.

JKTrickster
2012-10-28, 01:40 AM
Or maybe, what if, these people AREN'T our enemies?

*le gasp*

Meh, at least we haven't killed any of them yet :smallbiggrin:

But nah, what are the chances?

JKTrickster
2012-10-31, 07:37 PM
Sooooo....hello?

BelGareth
2012-10-31, 10:58 PM
Sooooo....hello?

Fret not muchacho, post on route tomorrow.

JKTrickster
2012-11-01, 01:38 AM
OKAY :smallbiggrin:

Chambers
2012-11-04, 10:39 PM
Spellcraft for the humming and glowing [roll0]

Also, any word about the spell effects used to transport the enemies? Rolled a 22 Spellcraft in the IC.

BelGareth
2012-11-04, 11:07 PM
Spellcraft for the humming and glowing [roll0]

Also, any word about the spell effects used to transport the enemies? Rolled a 22 Spellcraft in the IC.

Oh, sorry!

You fail to identify the spell, but can extrapolate that it was a divine spell of significant power.

JKTrickster
2012-11-05, 03:14 AM
Spellcraft check as well.

[roll0]

By the way does the bomb go off? I"m assuming it won't because it didn't hit anything?

BelGareth
2012-11-05, 02:42 PM
Spellcraft check as well.

[roll0]

By the way does the bomb go off? I"m assuming it won't because it didn't hit anything?

The bomb does not go off.

Spellcraft check

You recognize the spell being activated as a Word of Recall (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wordOfRecall.htm)

BelGareth
2012-11-07, 12:09 AM
I have a new skill idea that I thought of last night, and I think it's going to help out a lot.

You gain 1 rank in all your class skills for each level you have in that class. (with +3 at 1st level) All your skill points are for buying cross class skills or non current class skills (if you cross class)

For example:
A 4th level Fighter gains 7 skill points in all his class skills.

A 1st level Bard 3rd level fighter would gain 4 skill points in all bard skills and then 3 skill points in all his fighter class skills.

Please change your skills to match this.

EDIT:
Do you guys want me to post, or are we waiting on a few?

JKTrickster
2012-11-07, 02:47 AM
Wow that's a lot of skills.

Uhh ok sorry for not posting. I should have revealed what my knowledge check showed.

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-11-07, 02:48 AM
Do you guys want me to post, or are we waiting on a few?

I'm ready to move along if the others are.

bindin garoth
2012-11-07, 06:34 AM
I'm ready to move on too.

I probably won't have a chance to change my character sheet until tomorrow morning.

BelGareth
2012-11-08, 02:11 PM
If that skill rule change is annoying to anyone, let me know, it doesn't have to happen, just thought it would be a cool idea.

Also, this is a perfect pic (even though it's out of the genre)

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/313/d/d/3_by_royall04-d5kftmk.jpg

JKTrickster
2012-11-09, 03:25 AM
Rolling Knowledge check!

[roll0]

bindin garoth
2012-11-09, 07:34 AM
Knowledge planes check:
[roll0]

JKTrickster
2012-11-11, 09:08 PM
OOC I have a hunch that this might be Liquid Pain - how should I determine if my character knows about Liquid Pain IC? What knowledge would it fall under?

JKTrickster
2012-11-17, 10:26 PM
Sorry for the double post!

I will require extra time to post but please move on ahead - I can't post until Tuesday at the earliest.

I will catch up with one large post on Tuesday, ok? :smallbiggrin:

Chambers
2012-11-18, 09:03 AM
So the cables made their save vs the Shatters? I'll see what else Reya has that might destroy them or the angel.

BelGareth
2012-11-21, 03:53 AM
Dice, Are you going to do as Reya asked or something else?

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-11-21, 04:02 AM
Sorry, yes, Rand will have Muscles step out of the way when Reya asks him to. I should have specified that his astral constructs will listen to the others if they don't contradict his orders.

JKTrickster
2012-11-22, 12:46 AM
I've finally posted! Sorry for the delay!

BelGareth
2012-12-02, 12:48 AM
Bel, correct me if the angel isn't actually helpless, but since it looks to be practically the textbook definition of helpless right now, Nexus doesn't need a flanking buddy to get sneak attack, and in fact he can coup de grace it for the quick mercy kill Reya wants.

Correctomundo.

bindin garoth
2012-12-02, 02:09 AM
Yay!

Just treat my last post as coup de gracing the angel.

Chambers
2012-12-11, 06:46 AM
How is the magically amplified voice still coming from the Angel inside the AMF? It's also weird that nothing can harm it, considering its got no magical protections at the moment.

bindin garoth
2012-12-11, 07:28 AM
I'll wait for the answer to the above before posting.

Well, we could always use the explosions Zig set around the room. Perhaps scribe a few on the angel itself and right by it first?

BelGareth
2012-12-11, 08:30 AM
How is the magically amplified voice still coming from the Angel inside the AMF? It's also weird that nothing can harm it, considering its got no magical protections at the moment.

Amplified voice is only suppressed in the area of the AMF, it doesn't prevent it from traveling through the cables.

You are correct that it has no magical protection, it never did. Powers beyond your ken, that and a lot of DR.

Ever heard of the Gazebo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_and_the_Gazebo)?

This is merely the intro to the campaign, the power level of certain forces, etc, etc....

bindin garoth
2012-12-11, 09:06 AM
:smallconfused:

I....... never saw this before!

Is the gazebo angel going to eat us?

I'll get a post up this evening, but i'd still have to recommend having Zig blow him and the room up! :smalltongue:

Preferably after I'm a few miles away, I don't feel like being eaten yet.

Chambers
2012-12-11, 10:08 AM
If a coup de grace can't get through its DR that's quite a bit of DR. I'm away from my books but I think the AMF would shut down the voice as its originating from within the field. For example, a wizard in a field couldn't cast a fireball that is targeted at something outside the field. He can't cast at all. Likewise all magical powers or effects would be surpressed such as the voice and any magical communications or links that are dependent on something within the field.

That's why I cast it, to cutoff their link to the site, but everything still appears to function within the field which seems to go against how the spell works.

BelGareth
2012-12-11, 10:13 AM
If a coup de grace can't get through its DR that's quite a bit of DR. I'm away from my books but I think the AMF would shut down the voice as its originating from within the field. For example, a wizard in a field couldn't cast a fireball that is targeted at something outside the field. He can't cast at all. Likewise all magical powers or effects would be surpressed such as the voice and any magical communications or links that are dependent on something within the field.

That's why I cast it, to cutoff their link to the site, but everything still appears to function within the field which seems to go against how the spell works.

Its not being cast, its an active effect, much like a summoned creature, if they went into an AMF they would be suppresed, but if the AMF dropped and the summon spell still had time, they would still be there.

either way, your AMF is not working to prevent it from functioning.

KingOfLaughter
2012-12-11, 11:15 AM
Hey guys, sorry my internet cut off before, hence the disappearance. If you'll still have me though, I'd still love to play.

Chambers
2012-12-11, 01:15 PM
Its not being cast, its an active effect, much like a summoned creature, if they went into an AMF they would be suppresed, but if the AMF dropped and the summon spell still had time, they would still be there.

either way, your AMF is not working to prevent it from functioning.

But the field is still active. By your example the active effect should be suppressed. Clearly it hasn't been affected at all.

Edit: My main concern is that it feels like DM fiat. While its possible but unlikely that we can't damage the angel at all, antimagic field clearly shuts down anything magical cast, operating, or brought into its field (with the exception or orb of acid type spells). Referencing the Gazebo makes me think this the case also, that we're not supposed to be able to affect it or what its doing regardless of what the rules say.

I may be offbase here but that's how I'm reading this situation. If this is some kind of scripted prologue I'd appreciate knowing so I don't continue to get frustrated.

BelGareth
2012-12-11, 09:37 PM
But the field is still active. By your example the active effect should be suppressed. Clearly it hasn't been affected at all.

Edit: My main concern is that it feels like DM fiat. While its possible but unlikely that we can't damage the angel at all, antimagic field clearly shuts down anything magical cast, operating, or brought into its field (with the exception or orb of acid type spells). Referencing the Gazebo makes me think this the case also, that we're not supposed to be able to affect it or what its doing regardless of what the rules say.

I may be offbase here but that's how I'm reading this situation. If this is some kind of scripted prologue I'd appreciate knowing so I don't continue to get frustrated.

very well then, DM fiat.

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-12-13, 04:12 PM
Rolling Knowledge to see if Rand knows if those are indeed gold and silver dragons and if he can determine their age category: [roll0].

bindin garoth
2012-12-13, 09:17 PM
........ Wait, Gold & Silver dragons..........

Aren't they normally good!? Are we on the wrong side?

Anyhow, rolling knowledge roll to see what I know about Gold and Silver dragons (maybe they're different here?)

Knw: Pln[roll0]
Knw:Rel,Arc,His [roll1]

So it sounds like we have:
2 undecided
1 All-out attack

........... Why not? I'll jump in on the all-out attack team, as soon as I know the results of the knowledge checks.

Lostbutseeking
2012-12-14, 06:04 PM
Right now I really wish I had prepped shivering touch a few times over.

Knowledge arcana roll

26+d20

Possibly with a circumstance bonus for time spent with Telasil'xelkriss.

All things told I cant help but the get feeling (at least if the dragons are anything but very young) that this + angel are supposed to be telling us to leg it.

Lostbutseeking
2012-12-14, 08:22 PM
or [roll0] even as it appears I wasnt paying much attention.

BelGareth
2012-12-17, 02:09 AM
k. Arcana checks for the dragons

DC 15 or <
You identify them as dragons, congratulations you are not blind.

20 or <
You Identify them as a silver and Golden dragon

24 or <
From there huge size's, you can estimate they are at least a Young adult (Gold) and an Adult (silver) dragon.

25 or <
The Silver dragon is an Adult dragon, which is able to breathe a cone of cold and paralyzing gas.

26 or <
The Gold dragon is an Adult dragon, which is able to breathe a cone of fire and a weakening gas.

30 or <
The silver dragon is immune to cold and can command aspects of the wind and weather.

31 or <
The gold dragon is immune to fire and are considered the kings of the metallic dragonkind, usually preferring parlay before combat.

If this changes your post, go ahead and edit those.

EDIT:
Also, @ Chambers, I want to explain my thought process regarding the angel-thing, I don't generally like DM fiat, and try not to use it, but when I run games I make up what ever I think befits the situation/story line/story arc, and then I fill it with crunch, creating things if necessary. Sometimes I make things and don't realize i havent done the latter, so to explain, there is a real in world reason why the AMF did not work, and it's not just 'cause i said so'. I forgot to do the latter in this situation and that caused some confusion, and so I wanted to explain this to you.

Mechanically speaking, the pipes from the angel are protecting the magical source of the voice (the magically altered and empowered voice/countdown, emanating from the angel) which would usually be suppressed by the AMF as per our previous convo. They funnel the magic through them (as well as other things) under the protective skin, which is in essence a anti-anti magic coating. It's not epic quality yet, just something that is unknown to this world...

so, with that said, I hope that explains how and why.

bindin garoth
2012-12-17, 07:25 AM
Note: Would I know that the dragons have blindsight?

BelGareth
2012-12-17, 07:44 AM
Note: Would I know that the dragons have blindsight?

You would know that have heigtened senses, but not specifically blindsight

JKTrickster
2012-12-21, 05:09 AM
Knowledge Arcana time!

Sorry for the wait but now I'm back!

[roll0]

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-12-26, 05:16 PM
So, are we going with Rand's plan, or does anyone else have any suggestions?

Chambers
2012-12-26, 07:34 PM
I'm fine with it. Reya's not really going to challenge the military strategist on battle tactics.

bindin garoth
2012-12-28, 12:35 AM
Nexus would be worried about the dragons, but is otherwise good with the plan.

As a side note: Nexus could also attempt to "trap" some of the soldiers in an illusion of spiked walls or something similarly dangerous that they wouldn't want to interact with :smallbiggrin:

Or just keep on creating multiple illusions of himself with his "duo" illusion and hope the enemy selects incorrectly.

BelGareth
2013-01-15, 03:43 AM
So, recently my time has become quite premium, with school, homework, real life, my family and work, I have decided to go through my games and weed out those that I really want to keep alive and my precious attention.

While I would like to keep this game alive, I feel like it has died.

Is that the case?

PairO'Dice Lost
2013-01-15, 04:43 AM
I'd like to keep it going, but it seems like we've lost some people. I've been trying to avoid posting a lot and making all the decisions for the group just because I'm the "leader" in-game, but if no one else is posting....

BelGareth
2013-01-15, 04:58 AM
I'd like to keep it going, but it seems like we've lost some people. I've been trying to avoid posting a lot and making all the decisions for the group just because I'm the "leader" in-game, but if no one else is posting....

Hmm, you have a point, and I understand the reasoning, perhaps if some people don't post up, I'll send out some PM's and then if i get back no-goes or no answers then a recruitment for replacements?

PairO'Dice Lost
2013-01-15, 02:03 PM
Sounds like a plan.

BelGareth
2013-01-16, 02:18 AM
PM's away!

I'll give them a week, if no response I'll open a recruitment thread next week and get some fresh blood!

OK, JKtrickster is out, he just doesn't have time for it anymore.

Chambers
2013-01-16, 07:56 AM
I'll drop out as well to make space. Good luck with the game!

BelGareth
2013-01-16, 07:58 AM
I'll drop out as well to make space. Good luck with the game!

well can't say that doesn't suck, thanks for letting me know and good luck with your games.

BelGareth
2013-01-22, 09:15 PM
Okay looks like we lost two players, I'll post up a recruitment thread.

BelGareth
2013-01-25, 03:26 AM
Working on an update.

Also, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268856) is the recruitment thread for the replacements, feel free to chime in or anything else. (but no streaking)

Lostbutseeking
2013-01-26, 10:48 AM
I was using arcane sight which I cast at the end of page 1 when we were moving in, with a duration of 11 minutes so it's quite possible that it has worn off by now.

If so just scrap the block, elsewise you might want to adjust to reduce the information.

BelGareth
2013-01-26, 11:02 AM
I was using arcane sight which I cast at the end of page 1 when we were moving in, with a duration of 11 minutes so it's quite possible that it has worn off by now.

If so just scrap the block, elsewise you might want to adjust to reduce the information.

Oh, that would have worn off by now.

Lostbutseeking
2013-01-26, 05:03 PM
Oh, that would have worn off by now.

Thought it might have done when I went back to check when I cast it.

On the plus side, with only the four of us carrying on I can teleport us all back to HQ assuming we can actually get together to cast it.

BelGareth
2013-01-31, 04:37 AM
So, whats the plan folks?

Do you want me to wrap this up and move it along a cinematic or wait for people to post, I think we are waiting on Bindin right?

I could move this up, close this Chapter (and if you know me from other games, that has a significant meaning) and then we can do some admin stuff right before the new players join.

As of right now, I'm leaning towards the DFA and the Goliath Druid/elemental.

Thoughts/comments/concerns?

PairO'Dice Lost
2013-01-31, 01:29 PM
Go ahead and close out the chapter cinematically, might as well move things along.

The druid and DFA were the two I liked as well. They should make a good addition to the team.

bindin garoth
2013-01-31, 08:51 PM
Sorry about that guys! I can post now, unless everyone else want to cinematic the end anyways!

And I'd have to agree about the druid and DFA.

Bel, shooting you a PM shortly!

Lostbutseeking
2013-02-02, 06:39 PM
May as well do it via the cinematic, puts us in a better place to recieve the replacements.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-04, 06:13 PM
Hi all! Thanks for having me around, I am looking forward to join this game. I am around the forums pretty much daily and you can expect me to reply relatively swift to IC developments. In the spoiler below is the character description I submitted for you to read and for future reference.

Aydin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=298754): Goliath shapeshift (earth) druid 12.

Aydin is, in essence, a simple man. However, many find it complicated to relate to him. Aydin is large and is strong, he is also slow (at least to human standards). Not slow in a physical sense, dear lords, no. Slow to act, slow to show his emotions. He can spend hours, days, to contemplate on a decision. One anecdote you might have heard goes as follows:

Anecdote
A simple peasant saw Aydin in passing in a small thorp, and asked him about the weather: ’Nice weather, huh? Quite agreeable, no?’ Instead of giving a standard reply and moving on, Aydin stepped in front of the man and said: “Good question, give me a moment” Aydin lay flat on his back on the rocks, fell in a trance and started murmuring in a weird language. After ten minutes, the peasant shrugged and left. The next morning, the peasant would pass the spot again, on his way to work, and found Aydin there, still lying down. ’Are you all right?’ he asked the giant man. Aydin got up, nodded at the peasant, and said: ”Fine, thank you. The weather is all right as it is. I decided that whether I agree or not is not relevant.” Readying himself for further travel, Aydin addressed the peasant one last time. ”Thanks for asking, though!” The peasant would never address a giant man again, and the next two weeks Aydin would be preoccupied by the weather and why people might agree with it or not.

1: Six things one should know

1-Aydin is a Goliath druid that reveres the earth itself.

2-Aydin might be referred to as a rock: Neutral, Lawful. While he is very wise, he tends to divide his life and the universe in small simple blocks, divisions inspired by the laws of nature. He is also rather oblivious to the concepts of right and wrong that often drives the more zealous folk.

3-When he was younger, he left his tribe to fight for nature’s cause, trying to convert ‘infidels’. Over time, however, he learned about (hu)mankind and grew bitter and cynical. He stopped caring about humans and educating them.

4-Nowadays he fights for two things: Nature itself and the Mirranoran army. Nature because she is worth fighting for and the army because, well, they pay well.

5-Aydin believes in physical power and the earth that is representing it. He is also totally blunt and honest, much to the pain of anyone that understands social protocols.

6-Compared to his power, he stands relatively low in the army hierarchy. He simply does not care. He will respect his superiors, because that is the way it works, but he is open to amical relationships with junior members if he likes them. You won’t find him pulling rank.

2: Goals to achieve
1-Visit the elemental plane of earth. Converse with elder elementals, or if they are not up for it at least a brawl with them on that mighty plane. Wrestling, rock to rock, earth on earth, grinning in fulfillment as you get crushed…

2-Crush a goblin psionicist lady called Erhyuip’s head between his fists. It is an old story, okay, but drowning his dog and setting a forest fire on the mountain slope is something that on one side bothers him until today, but perhaps on the other side is the reason why he ever became a druid (and not a ranger or barbarian, in which cases he would have still wanted to trample her).

3-His ultimate goal is to become a mountain. Seriously, literally. Become a daunting peak, looking down upon life and pondering about where it is supposed to go.

3: Secrets
1- Aydin, despite his impressive appearance and blunt behavior, has an enormous weak spot for flowers and insects, especially butterflies. He will go out of his way to protect them, perhaps even if that means compromising an army mission.

2- While that low-life of a goblin did drown his dog, the forest fire that ensued was actually caused by Aydin himself. He does not know, but it was the fire with his pot of tea with healing herbs he, unhandy as he is, knocked over himself in pursuit of the goblin that started the fire…

3-You did know this fire killed three of his tribesmen, no?

4: Friends and enemies
1-Number one for sure is Danid, the Goliath druid that introduced him to the trade. True, they haven’t spoken to one another in years, but he regards him his father and will do anything, anything, for him

2-A dwarf called Har’mar. This man helped Aydin through his first four years of solitude. A conversation, a warm bowl of soup is what it started with. But it ended with training. What Danid could not teach him, the fine arts of the warrior, Har’mar taught him. It is this dwarf that set Aydin on the path of nature’s warrior. Har’mar and Aydin write letters to each other on occasion, and keep promising each other to seek one another out to exchange combat techniques and maneuvers.

3-That Goblin needs to die. Anyone else deliberately harming nature can go as well. Naturally.

5: Memories
1-Aydin remembers things being complex when he was young. Life is much simpler now.

2-Aydin remembers the beautifully plump and lovingly blunt Goliath woman that rejected him. If she only saw him now, she would adore him, he is sure.

3-Aydin remembers, before he was born, he was part of the earth. Dust to dust they say. He longs back to being part of the earth again.

As for a picture, I am not very good at drawing, but I managed to steal a cool picture:

http://www.joepikop.com/Siteremake/images/rocklobster.jpg

For color, I was thinking about "Sienna", as it fits the earth theme. Is that all right, or is it too close to "Dark Orange"? Seeing it on screen now it looks ok to me.

Aydin is about as far from a party face as one might be, so in that sense I think he will have a low profile. I think, however, or hope, you will find him quite opinionated. His spell selection is extremely thematic and therefore I think as cool as it is weird. I am not sure how it will work out in play. Next to some melee brutality and out-of-combat healing I hope to be adding some unconventional divining and 'crowd control' in the form of creative landscaping.

Amnestic
2013-02-04, 09:11 PM
Hey guys, good to be here. Sheet, background, etc. below:

Scale (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=504896)
- Neutral Good Dragonborn Warforged Dragonfire Adept, Level 12, Init +6, HP 215/215, DR 5/Mag+Slash, Speed 30'
AC 22, Touch 15, Flat-footed 20, Fort +17, Ref +6, Will +11, Base Attack Bonus 6
Fire Breath Weapon DC28 Reflex Halves (7d6, )
(+3 Armor, +2 Dex, +4 Natural, +3 Deflect)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 28, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 18
Condition None

Backstory, Appearance, Personality:-

Description:
Scale's appearance is unique amongst the Warforged due to his rather unusual origins. The metal and wood which make up the majority of a Warforged's body are covered with thick snow-white scales, giving him an altogether alien look even compared to the rest of his already odd brethren.

He's also slightly taller and heftier than most others, and perhaps the most notable difference is the head which has taken on draconic characteristics, being an odd combination of machine and monster. Most notable is the large wood and scale crest atop his head. Often he also sports his spectral dragon wings on his back, even when flight is not necessary, feeling oddly naked without them.

His voice is deep and metallic, with the slightest of echoes to it, but it has a refined tone behind it all.

Personality:
Scale's personality is one which was shaped over his many years of "life". Under Melidrona, he was a dutiful and able servant who had a bit of an evil streak from his cruel master. He was patient and a bit cunning and knew when to make himself scarce. His time with his Wizardly master however seems to have torn away that cruel streak. Scale is now seemingly a "good" "person". He's calm and collected, knowledgeable but not boastful about it. He's maintained his dutiful loyalty throughout the years and was praised for it.

The military gave him a thirst for something he didn't even know he had before though: Desire for new sights, for exploration. When before all he focused on was his mind and his power, now he wishes to see the world for all it has. To know monsters both mystical and mundane, to see ancient ruins and towering spires of gleaming gold. Scale comes across as polite and content, but inside burns a white-hot passion for expanding his horizons.

Background:

Scale was created for an express purpose - knowledge. His creator was the White Dragon Melidrona, perhaps one of the more cunning White Dragons out there. She recognised her own failings when it came to intellect and thus set about creating a loyal servant who could assist her in such matters. Imbued with a piece of Melidrona's own essence, Scale is a Warforged apart from Warforged. His creation went smoothly for the most part and he served faithfully for many years, the connection between the two ensuring loyalty and power for both.

However, as with most dragons Melidrona was not without enemies. Eventually she met her end against a group of Frost Giants who failed in their attempt to capture her. Scale was left alone in the now empty dragon's lair, ignored by the Frost Giants and bereft of his mistress. With nothing else to do, Scale eventually left the Melidrona's lair in the snowcapped peaks and headed south, passing through forest and plain both. His destination was clear: Civilisation. Eventually he reached it and began looking for a new cause to champion. Something which could satisfy both his knowledge abilities and his draconic powers.

And he found it. Through opportunity knocking (and perhaps due to a bit of Meldrona's influence), Scale entered into the criminal world of Mirranor as a bruiser, but quickly found that beating down guys who didn't pay protection money and burning down shops wasn't exactly intellectually stimulating. He moved on quickly (fleeing from those who told him he couldn't leave) and established himself as bodyguard and serving hand for a Court Wizard by the name of Ticher. His appearance alone made the bodyguard job easy work and the Wizard's library and laboratory allowed him to put his not intellect to work.

This lasted a surprising amount of years, and good things do come to those who wait. During a banquet attended by Scale's master, an intrigued army officer began conversing with the Warforged who in turn was intrigued by what the military might have to offer him. Upon talking to his master on the subject, they came to an arrangement: Scale would come and go while on duty as necessary, working for both the military and Ticher. In return, whenever any possible rare spells, components, items or other such trinkets crossed his path, Scale would document them and (if possible) return them for further study.

Both master and servant were satisfied with this arrangement, and soon enough Scale was inducted into the Mirranorian army. That was about 11 years ago. His advancement was slow, but his skills were undeniable and eventually he made his way into an elite squad of others whose skills matched up just as well.

Ten Minute Background

Scale
Essentials:
1) Unique Warforged, created by now-deceased White Dragon.
2) Prides himself on intellectual acuity and draconic powers.
3) Ex-criminal, previously low-level bruiser thug. Left on poor terms.
4) Employed by both his master and the Mirranorian Army.
5) Desires new sights, new thoughts and new things.

Goals:
1) Reach a stage in which he is content, a feeling he's lacked since Melidrona's death.
2) Create a complete catalogue of every creature currently in existence.

Secrets:
1) Sometimes he can still hear Melidrona's voice in his head, whispering things to him.
2) Scale believes that the criminals who he left have ceased following him after these many years; he is incorrect.

People:
1) Ticher, his Wizardly master whom he still serves to some degree even now.
2) Melidrona, his creator whose voice still echoes inside his head.
3) Jan, the officer who initially recruited him. They still maintain something close to what could be called a "friendship".
4) Rune, another Warforged from Mirranor's capital who Scale occasionally consults with on Warforged matters. Rune is an Artificer who runs a (magic) blacksmith. Something of a confidante.
5) Mr. Sword. Current head of the criminal gang that Scale was briefly part of. Mr. Sword has recently grown more and more frantic with capturing Scale and putting his powers to use for himself.

Memories:
1) His time serving Melidrona, a happy time in which he was content with his life.
2) The time he burned down a bakery for Mr. Sword's gang, which was the turning point for him deciding to leave (as well as donate his current funds back to the baker's family)
3) His first mission for the Mirranorian Military, in which he managed to recover a uniquely large Troll skull for his master.

As for colour, obviously white would be thematic but kinda useless :smalltongue: I think I'll go with Navy, if there's no objections. Scale is very much a knowledge buff with a side-focus in spot/listen/search. Decent health pool, auras and focus on battlefield control with his breath weapon. He's very much a "follower" who prefers to take orders than give them, though isn't afraid to offer his viewpoint on matters. Very loyal.

Also he's a dragon robot that can fly and breathe fire.

As for picture, hoo-boy. You know how hard it is to find decent Dragonborn Warforged pics? It's not easy! And I am no artist. Still, I think I found something I like, mostly:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Amnestic/kastiren_by_ryuukin-d4pkzrb_zpsdcfaed5a.jpg

Source: http://ryuukin.deviantart.com/art/Kastiren-284834567

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-05, 07:53 AM
I just noticed Aydin has one more feat than I thought, so I added Summon Elemental (reserve) as my 7th level feat. I hope that's okay.

BelGareth
2013-02-05, 02:29 PM
Sounds good on the feat.

Just wanted to say hello, also, I'll be wrapping things up here some time tonight or tomorrow.

BelGareth
2013-02-05, 11:03 PM
Double posts for Subs:

For the new guys: New Chapter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14659003)

For the others, new post wrapping things up is out.

For Nexus, hope that was enough. I'll reply to your PM shortly regarding new stuff(s).

Lostbutseeking
2013-02-07, 06:43 PM
I've updated my sheet, I assumed the 15 minutes needed to fill the 2 new spell slots was available but that the full rest for a spell set change isn't. Freezing glance is in frostburn if you don't recognise it.

PairO'Dice Lost
2013-02-25, 12:53 AM
So are we waiting for the other players to check in, or BelGareth to move things along, or...?

BelGareth
2013-02-25, 01:46 AM
So are we waiting for the other players to check in, or BelGareth to move things along, or...?

I will be moving things along, however I am at the tale end of my quarter right now and have a research paper, project and presentation due...so im a little busy.

I'll get to it once I'm done with all that however.

BelGareth
2013-03-05, 03:49 PM
Ok, So I am back in action, I should be able to get a post up tomorrow sometime.
Sorry for the lull.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-04, 04:56 PM
BelGareth, it just occurred to me (sparked by the GISH! recruitment thread) that I did not give Aydin a +1 to all stats each even level, but a +1 to one stat each even level... I am going to, ehm, *cough* correct that :smallsmile:. I never used that method before and just read over it back then. I do like it, though, and might adopt it.

BelGareth
2013-04-04, 04:58 PM
BelGareth, it just occurred to me (sparked by the GISH! recruitment thread) that I did not give Aydin a +1 to all stats each even level, but a +1 to one stat each even level... I am going to, ehm, *cough* correct that :smallsmile:. I never used that method before and just read over it back then. I do like it, though, and might adopt it.

lol, how did I not see that, :smallcool: Nothing to see here.

carry on.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-04, 05:18 PM
Hehe. This means I have a few more spells per day, I am now better at the Heal skill, better at the Knowledge nature skill, am a Spellcrafter, learned to swim (as opposed to sinking like a rock) and picked up the hobby of sculpting. :smallcool:

BelGareth
2013-04-06, 09:29 AM
@everyone: I will be on vacation for 10 days on the 8th-18th. Posting will be nonexistent during that time.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-06, 10:10 AM
@everyone: I will be on vacation for 10 days on the 8th-18th. Posting will be nonexistent during that time.

Have fun! We'll try to demolish your world in the meanwhile, no worries.

BelGareth
2013-05-14, 09:33 PM
Ok, I'm back. 'Life' was keeping me busy for a while.

Are we still interested in this game?

Amnestic
2013-05-14, 10:19 PM
Ok, I'm back. 'Life' was keeping me busy for a while.

Are we still interested in this game?

Would that I could use the royal 'we'. I'm still interested though :smalltongue:

PairO'Dice Lost
2013-05-14, 11:19 PM
We are indeed still interested.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-05-15, 12:57 AM
I still am, indeed.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-05-22, 04:17 AM
I am leaving for 8 days of mediterranean sun and one day of metalfestival. I will be posting very little, or not at all, untill the 2nd of June. I hope the DM feels free to act on my behalf if that helps the game during this period.

BelGareth
2013-06-11, 02:24 PM
I CANNOT believe this has happened, but my boss is no longer allowing me to use my laptop at work. And because of that, I can no longer DM this game, the only way I am able to DM is with a program I use....

So, until further notice, this game is done with, I apologize immensely, but it's kinda out my hands.

I would go on a tirade about my boss, as I'm a little bit pissed off, (no, a lot pissed off) but I'm sure you all don't want to hear about it.

I am really really sorry.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-06-11, 02:39 PM
Boo! Well, we pick it back up when you find a new boss then? :smallwink:

PairO'Dice Lost
2013-06-11, 10:47 PM
Shame, I was having fun. Was the loss of laptop privileges targeted at you (for spending too much time DMing :smallwink:) or was it a company thing?