PDA

View Full Version : Need Magic Item/Player Help Suggestions

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-10-02, 05:46 PM
Hello all. I'm currently running an E6 3.5 game that meets on Saturdays. The campaign log can be found here.

Anyhoo, my problem: My players tend to survive not by combat but rather by ingenious tactics and guile. What few combat we've had has gone over well, it's just not a focus for them since they prefer to end a fight before it starts.

The problem with this is my Sorcerer player. She's been awfully quiet for our last two sessions and rarely makes big plays or moves, usually just going along with the others. I want to help her character contribute more directly.

My plan is to have the players venture into a small tomb for some ancient wizard and pick up a few magic items that'll help their characters out. For the Sorceress, I plan on her finding a magic gauntlet that lets her fire a 1d6 magic blast at-will. She really doesn't have any combat use normally since she's become the utility caster (it's an odd group). This'll let her help out more substantially.

Beyond that, we have a Druid, a Bard and a Monk (we call him the Invisible Hulk). What are some magic items/gear I can grant my players? I'm looking for non +X items, mind. I like anything that sounds fantastical.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-02, 06:31 PM
Stormfire Ring (MIC) for the Druid.

Gloves of Lightning (MIC) at double value for twice as many charges/day for the Sorcerer.

Doss Lute (MIC) for the Bard.

Armbands of Might (MIC) for the Monk, assuming he has any of Improved Grapple, Improved Trip, or Improved Disarm. He can also Power Attack for -2 to get +4 damage with those.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-10-02, 07:21 PM
We've only got the DMG and PHB, so I'm not sure what any of those do.

Just form the names I can guess what Lightning Gloves and Doss Lute are. Stormfire Ring sounds awesome...but the Druid is too awesome already (he and the Bard rocked all last session because of his Monkey companion). What does the Stormfire Ring do?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-02, 07:39 PM
Stormfire Ring creates a Faerie Fire that lasts five rounds and deals 1d6 damage per round to anyone in the area, usable 5/day. It also remains functional when Wild Shaped.

Gloves of Lightning fire a ranged touch attack (+3 to hit metal/armored opponents) that deals 1d8+5 damage, normally usable 3/day.

Doss Lute is a masterwork string instrument (+2 Perform) that can activate Delay Poison, Hold Person, and Mirror Image each 1/day.

Armbands of Might grant a +2 bonus on all Str-based checks, and add an extra +2 damage if you Power Attack for at least -2.

Each of those items is in the neighborhood of 4k gp, half as much for the Gloves of Lightning but doubling the daily uses will even it out.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-10-02, 08:20 PM
Hm. :smallconfused:

While I like these, the feel of the campaign is less "Boots of +2 Dex" and more "Boots of Wall-running". Magic shouldn't just do +X, but rather Entire-new-thing-Y.

For example: A magic ring that creates an invisible string that attaches to a target and let's the wearer follow the string while tracking them. Or a Mirror that allows you to swap one of your attributes for a random attribute from an enemy til the end of combat. I was really looking for cool ideas like that that wouldn't break an E6 game.

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-02, 10:44 PM
Give the Druid a Bag of Tricks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bagofTricks)

Give the Bard a set of Pipes of the Sewers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#pipesoftheSewers)

Give the Monk a Rope of Climbing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#ropeofClimbing)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-02, 11:28 PM
Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101)

TuggyNE
2012-10-03, 01:14 AM
For example: A magic ring that creates an invisible string that attaches to a target and let's the wearer follow the string while tracking them.

Is this... is this from George MacDonald's The Princess and the Goblin?!?

only1doug
2012-10-03, 02:17 AM
We've only got the DMG and PHB, so I'm not sure what any of those do.

Just form the names I can guess what Lightning Gloves and Doss Lute are. Stormfire Ring sounds awesome...but the Druid is too awesome already (he and the Bard rocked all last session because of his Monkey companion). What does the Stormfire Ring do?

Items that emulate feats shouldn't be too overpowered, does the sorcerer have any combat spells at all? If so we could grant a reserve feat with the gauntlets.
As you don't have the source books i'll need to give more details, if the caster has the ability to cast (for a sorcerer thats a spell known + relevant spell slot available) a spell tied to a specific theme then they can do a smaller version without using up the spell. There are several reserve feats, for this purpose you would want fiery burst (5' radius minifireball), acid splatter (ranged touch attack) or the other elemental damaging feats. Linking the details is against board policy so i won't but google is your friend.