PDA

View Full Version : [OoC] The Unexpecteds



Pages : 1 [2] 3

Prince Zahn
2012-11-22, 10:30 AM
@Brains: I like getting sig'd, so have fun!:smallbiggrin:

Well, if Thurod senses the dream, as well as everything else an unconscious Issath might imagine, would he reckon the mindlink is getting buggy, or would it seem like a daydream, would he see it and tell that Issath fell asleep?

I'm just wondering, even if ya don't say it's thinking material...
----
Anyway PMing WIP, I also wish to remind our Gracious DM that PM-chat is a 2 persons' job, as many a-DM forgot to reply when I would PM them, I don't wish to delay you guys much further - I wish to get the cameras rolling. IfyanowhatImean?

Egneil
2012-11-22, 12:01 PM
Sorry about being quiet. I've had chores to do for thanksgiving, that and my personal computer just finished dying. I'll be posting in the IC and PM's soon now. Again sorry for the delay.

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-22, 02:08 PM
You can hear his dreams at the moment if you want too. The Mindlink is still in affect :smalltongue:

Right...have we determined what Issath is dreaming about? :smallbiggrin:


@Brains: I like getting sig'd, so have fun!:smallbiggrin:

Well, if Thurod senses the dream, as well as everything else an unconscious Issath might imagine, would he reckon the mindlink is getting buggy, or would it seem like a daydream, would he see it and tell that Issath fell asleep?

I'm just wondering, even if ya don't say it's thinking material...
----
Anyway PMing WIP, I also wish to remind our Gracious DM that PM-chat is a 2 persons' job, as many a-DM forgot to reply when I would PM them, I don't wish to delay you guys much further - I wish to get the cameras rolling. IfyanowhatImean?

Thanks!

Depends on what the dream is...and how insane it seems. :smallbiggrin:

Prince Zahn
2012-11-22, 06:15 PM
Sorry about being quiet. I've had chores to do for thanksgiving, that and my personal computer just finished dying. I'll be posting in the IC and PM's soon now. Again sorry for the delay.
Perfectly understandable, I didn't mean it in a demanding way, it's just happened before...
Don't snap your back posting IC. Speaking for myself - I rather have you at your best than at your labored and worn. Any heads up would be appreciated, however.

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-23, 05:28 PM
Sorry about being quiet. I've had chores to do for thanksgiving, that and my personal computer just finished dying. I'll be posting in the IC and PM's soon now. Again sorry for the delay.

I agree with PZ. No one enjoys themselves, least of all the DM, if said DM is forced to run a campaign at less than his best. We're a patient group. :smallsmile:

Newcomer
2012-11-23, 05:40 PM
Sorry about being quiet. I've had chores to do for thanksgiving, that and my personal computer just finished dying. I'll be posting in the IC and PM's soon now. Again sorry for the delay.

Also in agreement; we're patient and satisfied. Just keep us notified any time you know it will be slow going.

Arcanist
2012-11-23, 08:16 PM
Right...have we determined what Issath is dreaming about? :smallbiggrin:

Roll a sanity check!

I have determined what he is dreaming of :smallsmile:

Newcomer
2012-11-23, 09:24 PM
Roll a sanity check!

I have determined what he is dreaming of :smallsmile:

Heh... I can't wait to find out! :smallbiggrin:

Even though all we've done is talk contract and shop (and drink), I feel like I've already been surprised by each of these characters' choices and actions. I know, I know, we're The UnexpectedsTM... Still. I'm excited to see what happens on our adventures, because I suspect we'll see some very creative and hilarious outside-the-box solutions. :smallsmile:

Egneil
2012-11-23, 10:54 PM
Sorry guys, I've just got my new computer and I need to go to work tomorrow early in the morning. It's late for me so I should head to bed now, but if I can get up early enough I'll finish up my post. If I can't, the post won't go up until late in the afternoon tomorrow.

Sorry about this, I promise to do everything in my power to continue the plot.

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-24, 01:29 AM
Heh... I can't wait to find out! :smallbiggrin:

Even though all we've done is talk contract and shop (and drink), I feel like I've already been surprised by each of these characters' choices and actions. I know, I know, we're The UnexpectedsTM... Still. I'm excited to see what happens on our adventures, because I suspect we'll see some very creative and hilarious outside-the-box solutions. :smallsmile:

Thurod is all about outside the box. There's a reason I have a portable ram, a crowbar, a flint and steel, a tanglefoot bag, and 10 pints of oil in my Bag of Holding. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: And a small steel mirror.

Newcomer
2012-11-24, 01:45 AM
Thurod is all about outside the box. There's a reason I have a portable ram, a crowbar, a flint and steel, a tanglefoot bag, and 10 pints of oil in my Bag of Holding. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: And a small steel mirror.

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Elestil's view is there's nothing that can't be solved with an illusion, a disguise, or a story about some famous elf. But just in case, he also has a swan boat feather token and a wand of Mage Hand.

EDIT: I'm trying to be a good pbp citizen and limit my meta-knowledge.. but.. CAN I READ THE MIND-LINK SPOILERS???!!!!

Arcanist
2012-11-24, 10:36 AM
EDIT: I'm trying to be a good pbp citizen and limit my meta-knowledge.. but.. CAN I READ THE MIND-LINK SPOILERS???!!!!

Lol, It's a message for Brain to read, but if he wants others to read it, who am I to say "No"? :smallsmile: I for one, would like for you to guys to read it... It's not much of a read on that... Just a kicker for some really interesting **** :smallamused:

Prince Zahn
2012-11-24, 12:25 PM
Lol, It's a message for Brain to read, but if he wants others to read it, who am I to say "No"? :smallsmile: I for one, would like for you to guys to read it... It's not much of a read on that... Just a kicker for some really interesting **** :smallamused:

Yeah... In that vein I sorta have a confession, guys, I've been reading the spoilers, about all of them.>_>
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, and I'm also not saying it makes me less or more of a roleplayer, I am a curious fellow, I prefer to know what I may otherwise never find out, and while telling this to you all I don't mean to stop reading what noone clearly objects to.

However, knowing the so-called "Spoilers" has never brought me to using the meta-knowledge, nor do I intend to do any such thing without consent and coordination, a wizard knows he likely has more tools than a fighter, but the wiser wizard works with the fighter and uses his magic in the fighter's favor.
I am responsible in a similar vein, both as a wizard and as a gamer.

OF COURSE Frandol knows non-the-wiser, and he may as well never know, and never mind, Me and Frandol are not one, he is a "costume" I wear and play as I post, as I rehearse lines I wish him to say verbally , as I imagine his accent when his mood changes, and as I look at some words I write - checking I am not using terms before their time. (Granted I may have missed a few, the point is I still try). I guess my point is: I don't exploit this knowledge, I just want to see it, and I would rather lose XP over waiting for it all to be moot, or, gods-forbid - the threads to die, before I can satisfy my inborn curiosity.
I just hope you guys can accept that, because in the end it may only be my loss anyway, and nothing more.

Newcomer
2012-11-24, 01:42 PM
I was honestly curious whether I'd get a response of "Oh, no one on the forums actually doesn't read the spoilers." I don't know what is typical behavior, but I'd rather err on the side of not having to un-learn vital information. And I also like the mystery of knowing there's more to the story than what I can see.

Prince Zahn
2012-11-24, 03:26 PM
And I also like the mystery of knowing there's more to the story than what I can see.

Yeah, there's a good idea...now how can I do that so that it doesn't eat me inside-out first?

Newcomer
2012-11-24, 04:15 PM
Yeah, there's a good idea...now how can I do that so that it doesn't eat me inside-out first?

Heh... good question...

Dr.Robotnik
2012-11-24, 05:23 PM
Wait, I thought Issath was an elan? That makes the childlike version of him Thurod is seeing all the more bizarre.....

Newcomer
2012-11-24, 09:54 PM
Lol, It's a message for Brain to read, but if he wants others to read it, who am I to say "No"? :smallsmile: I for one, would like for you to guys to read it... It's not much of a read on that... Just a kicker for some really interesting **** :smallamused:

I'm so glad I peeked!! :smallbiggrin: This is hilarious. Especially if Thurod doesn't realize Issath is unconscious.


@Thurod
I hated how this little introduction into chaos pretty much spoiled a theme I was going to go with Issath... Ah well :smalltongue:

Well, so far you got drunk and now you're having a drunk dream. Assuming you don't Issath doesn't become a drunk, that doesn't really set the precedent for how he'll typically behave in the future. i.e. You've still got room to make adjustments.

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-25, 01:27 AM
So...everyone entertained by the dream? :smallbiggrin:

Arcanist
2012-11-25, 03:02 AM
Wait, I thought Issath was an elan? That makes the childlike version of him Thurod is seeing all the more bizarre.....

AH! Someone did notice! :smallbiggrin:

Pay attention to the things that you KNOW can't be possible and the things you know ARE possible for this. Ignore everything that is possible :smallamused:

Issath was a Ectoplasmic Dragon in one of his previous lives (incidentally the life before he became a Human and then an Elan). The Child is what remains of his Draconic powers (Allowing him to train in the art of the "Mind-Bender"). The DC was based off the Knowledge rules for identifying a Creature (10 + HD (8) = DC (18))

For more information on Ectoplasmic Dragons and their breeding habits, please check your local Library (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20040123a) :smallamused:

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-26, 07:54 PM
Hey...Arcanist...Dream Issath isn't going to turn into that dragon type and...eat Dream Thurod, is he? :smalleek:

Arcanist
2012-11-26, 08:13 PM
Hey...Arcanist...Dream Issath isn't going to turn into that dragon type and...eat Dream Thurod, is he? :smalleek:

Maybee... :smallamused:

Nah, He's just going to play Good guys and Bad Guys with you. which is exactly like Tag.

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-28, 08:30 PM
Maybee... :smallamused:


Kay. Also, what do you mean by no spoilers in the IC thread? Was that the dream ending, or should I keep replying? :smallsmile:

Newcomer
2012-11-28, 10:45 PM
Maybee... :smallamused:

Nah, He's just going to play Good guys and Bad Guys with you. which is exactly like Tag.Kay. Also, what do you mean by no spoilers in the IC thread? Was that the dream ending, or should I keep replying? :smallsmile:
Fixed that for you.

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-28, 11:45 PM
Fixed that for you.

...Actually, what I did was intentional. :smallbiggrin: Trying to keep up the suspense.

Arcanist
2012-11-29, 12:26 AM
Kay. Also, what do you mean by no spoilers in the IC thread? Was that the dream ending, or should I keep replying? :smallsmile:

Issath consciously disolved the Mindlink enough to not let Dream Issath kill you. The prize thing is something the DM can leap off of. I'll tell him what exactly I'd like for you to find along our quest that will be related to the dream (nothing magical or wondrous or even useful) :smallsmile:

The dream is officially over as I deemed it close enough to give a hint at what is behind Issath's enigmatic nature. Yep... I intend to take the Subpsionic feats (and maybe Shadow mind as a dip if the DM will be so kind).

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-29, 09:11 PM
Issath consciously disolved the Mindlink enough to not let Dream Issath kill you. The prize thing is something the DM can leap off of. I'll tell him what exactly I'd like for you to find along our quest that will be related to the dream (nothing magical or wondrous or even useful) :smallsmile:

The dream is officially over as I deemed it close enough to give a hint at what is behind Issath's enigmatic nature. Yep... I intend to take the Subpsionic feats (and maybe Shadow mind as a dip if the DM will be so kind).

Noted.

Also, I am most interested in this prize. :smallbiggrin:

Prince Zahn
2012-11-30, 02:36 AM
Hey just keeping you guys knowing I haven't left you guys (yay! I know.:smallbiggrin:)
However, PMing the scene is taking a bit longer than I originally thought, if only there was a faster process, and a shorter scene, as Frandol wants to return to you guys already.:smallsmile:

Newcomer
2012-11-30, 12:43 PM
Shall we cast votes again for which route to take? I'm a little torn at the moment, personally.

Egneil
2012-11-30, 03:35 PM
Sorry about the lack of posts, things happened and I was mostly waiting for Arcanist to finish his dream sequence. I'd like to point out though that mindlink does have a duration of 10min/level. I'll wave this away whenever Issath has a dream sequence though as this is a great plot hook. (And it's also easy to explain away.)

Also when I started this game I wanted to give you two different but equal options on how to progress. If you want I could tone it down during later plot arcs.

Newcomer
2012-11-30, 04:09 PM
Also when I started this game I wanted to give you two different but equal options on how to progress. If you want I could tone it down during later plot arcs.

I like having options!! Though we might make our own options from time to time... :smallbiggrin:

I just figure we better decide now OOC which way to go. We've spent a great deal of time on the pre-leaving activities, so I'd like to get going as soon as we recover Frandol and Issath. I'm casting my vote for forest.

Arcanist
2012-11-30, 05:13 PM
Sorry about the lack of posts, things happened and I was mostly waiting for Arcanist to finish his dream sequence. I'd like to point out though that mindlink does have a duration of 10min/level. I'll wave this away whenever Issath has a dream sequence though as this is a great plot hook. (And it's also easy to explain away.)

... Wait... I thought it was a rule that pre-manifested Psionics disparate when the Manifester is sleeping... :smallconfused:

Because if it's not ... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=QZFa2LGGF90&NR=1)

Also since you are here now I'd like for this spoiler to be DM's eye's only... soooo... No peeking... ESPECIALLY YOU THUROD! :smallamused:

Ah, you couldn't resist could you? I PM'd it instead

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/2/2d/Trollface_HD.png/618px-Trollface_HD.png

Egneil
2012-11-30, 07:15 PM
... Wait... I thought it was a rule that pre-manifested Psionics disparate when the Manifester is sleeping... :smallconfused:

Because if it's not ... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=QZFa2LGGF90&NR=1)

I haven't come across anything like that, but if I said anything to that effect or you can find the rule then feel free to either post it here or tell me where it is. (Preferably with a link, but if it's not online I might be able to look it up.)

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-30, 07:47 PM
I like having options!! Though we might make our own options from time to time... :smallbiggrin:

I just figure we better decide now OOC which way to go. We've spent a great deal of time on the pre-leaving activities, so I'd like to get going as soon as we recover Frandol and Issath. I'm casting my vote for forest.

I vote forest too. :smallsmile:

Also, Arcanist...you didn't have to shout. :smallbiggrin:

Prince Zahn
2012-11-30, 09:23 PM
No peeking:smallfrown:? Very well, respected.

I don't assuming I get to vote, since Frandol is neither there, nor does he know of this information, though If we do I'm pro-forest.

Newcomer
2012-11-30, 09:31 PM
I don't assuming I get to vote, since Frandol is neither there, nor does he know of this information, though If we do I'm pro-forest.

Well, theoretically Frandol would have some say once he returned. I don't mean to be too meta, but I don't see a problem with hearing everyone's input. Unless, of course, there are strong character reasons for going against the majority opinion, which I would support.

Dr.Robotnik
2012-11-30, 09:43 PM
I have a bunch of conflicting stuff, but better stuff for caves. We all have darkvision but issath, and the forests have that no-scry zone, as well as the weird temperature thing. The olny pro for forests is that shortcut.

Newcomer
2012-11-30, 10:39 PM
I have a bunch of conflicting stuff, but better stuff for caves. We all have darkvision but issath, and the forests have that no-scry zone, as well as the weird temperature thing. The olny pro for forests is that shortcut.

Valid points. The cave path is only weakly scried out, while the forest has been scouted. It might be more difficult to move the convoy through the caves. And there is a sense of urgency to this delivery, even if it's not OUR urgency. But there's definitely something strange going on in the forest, which is why I said I was torn, and my support for forest is still slim. The darkvision thing is an interesting note.

Arcanist
2012-11-30, 11:30 PM
Valid points. The cave path is only weakly scried out, while the forest has been scouted. It might be more difficult to move the convoy through the caves. And there is a sense of urgency to this delivery, even if it's not OUR urgency. But there's definitely something strange going on in the forest, which is why I said I was torn, and my support for forest is still slim. The darkvision thing is an interesting note.

Worst case scenario, I can just manifest detect hostile intent and be completely satisfied knowing when something agressive is coming at us. I just want either Frandol or Thurod to hold Issath's hand while we travel in the dark :smallsmile:

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-30, 11:48 PM
Valid points. The cave path is only weakly scried out, while the forest has been scouted. It might be more difficult to move the convoy through the caves. And there is a sense of urgency to this delivery, even if it's not OUR urgency. But there's definitely something strange going on in the forest, which is why I said I was torn, and my support for forest is still slim. The darkvision thing is an interesting note.


Worst case scenario, I can just manifest detect hostile intent and be completely satisfied knowing when something agressive is coming at us. I just want either Frandol or Thurod to hold Issath's hand while we travel in the dark :smallsmile:

Valid points, Newcomer. Still, I think in this case our best bet is to pick a route, and just run with it, if at all possible.

:smallamused: Issath has issues with the dark, I take it?

Official Tally Time: Place a vote, folks-Forest, or Cave?

As I said earlier, I'll vote Forest.

Newcomer
2012-11-30, 11:57 PM
Forest.

DM says we have two equal options... that's DM-speak for something, but for now I'll cautiously trust him. :smalltongue:

Arcanist
2012-12-01, 01:42 AM
:smallamused: Issath has issues with the dark, I take it?

Nah... He just likes holding hands :smalltongue:

Prince Zahn
2012-12-01, 04:03 PM
DM says we have two equal options... that's DM-speak for something, but for now I'll cautiously trust him. :smalltongue:
Forest.
Frandol Like color, which he likely won't find in a cave.

I'll assume that two equal options mean "regardless of which route you pick, I will craft you the same brutal level of difficulty independent of your surroundings."

It's in these times of speculation that I hope the most that things really are as they appear...just two balanced level-appropriate paths, what more can one ask for?

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-03, 06:59 PM
Forest.
Frandol Like color, which he likely won't find in a cave.

I'll assume that two equal options mean "regardless of which route you pick, I will craft you the same brutal level of difficulty independent of your surroundings."

It's in these times of speculation that I hope the most that things really are as they appear...just two balanced level-appropriate paths, what more can one ask for?

And with this vote, we've re-decided on forest, which, in hindsight, made this whole vote kinda superflous...:smallredface: :smallbiggrin:

Prince Zahn
2012-12-04, 12:59 AM
And with this vote, we've re-decided on forest, which, in hindsight, made this whole vote kinda superflous...:smallredface: :smallbiggrin:

Wait, Didn't we previously agree to go through the caves?:smallconfused:
Not changing my vote, just thought....

Anyway, I decree myself back in the IC thread.

@v Speak of The devil, I'm here

Newcomer
2012-12-04, 12:59 AM
Are we going to get to see what happened to Frandol?

Prince Zahn
2012-12-04, 03:33 PM
WE'RE ALL CONSCIOUS Ė HUZZAH!:smallbiggrin:

Newcomer
2012-12-04, 03:55 PM
WE'RE ALL CONSCIOUS Ė HUZZAH!:smallbiggrin:

WOOOOOO!!!! :smallbiggrin:

Egneil
2012-12-05, 02:10 PM
Let's see which topics could use a DM's response.

@Newcomer: Nothing really informative happened during Frandol's shopping session, so I don't mind releasing it. However seeing that it was done with PM's, I'll leave the decision up to Prince Zahn. If he want's to release it I just ask that he posts it in this thread.

As for the Cave or Forest routes: My plan was that each path was equally difficult for your level, but that the form of the difficulty was different for each path. I can't really explain more without spoiling one of the routes.

@Arcanist: I'd like to point out that the Detect Hostile Intent power only has a range of 30-feet. So any attack from outside of that range would cause your power to be less effective.

What else is there to answer. Oh right, the IC thread. I don't have anything else to add. The only thing I can think of is that is because of Issath's Elan biology, and that I'm unsure about if he's physically drunk to begin with, the potion will affect him differently. Nothing mechanical, just slight dizziness and a light-headedness. Mostly I'm just waiting for various people to post replies.

EDIT: And then immediately after I post this, I notice that someone replied. One moment, I'll post the effects in the IC thread.

Arcanist
2012-12-05, 02:50 PM
WOOOOOO!!!! :smallbiggrin:

To be fair Issath is a little loopy after his nap :smalltongue:

Newcomer
2012-12-05, 04:27 PM
As for the Cave or Forest routes: My plan was that each path was equally difficult for your level, but that the form of the difficulty was different for each path. I can't really explain more without spoiling one of the routes.

Well, you really don't owe us anything more. We should generally assume the dangers will be level-appropriate most of the time unless we're ignoring warnings. Still, our characters have no idea how dangerous each route is outside of the news they've heard.

Also, I was kinda letting Frandol and Issath re-join us before posting, though I could add a passing the time post. I'm just waiting for a resolution of that so we can proceed from there.

Dr.Robotnik
2012-12-05, 07:49 PM
For the sake of getting the plot to stay moving, grad will just take the three bags.

Oh, and for everyone wondering about the sometomes-odd format of my posts, they are exclusivly from my phone. My phone does not like the site's design for clicking on text edit buttons, such as color or spoilers.

Prince Zahn
2012-12-06, 04:02 PM
For the sake of getting the plot to stay moving, grad will just take the three bags.

Oh, and for everyone wondering about the sometomes-odd format of my posts, they are exclusivly from my phone. My phone does not like the site's design for clicking on text edit buttons, such as color or spoilers.

Understandable, my posts are from my phone too, but I guess my model is slightly more comfortable(still not great) with GitP...
Of course there are times where it gets a bit buggy, for instance just recently it took three hard reboots to the browser before I could tell Y'all "Yay! everyones' conscious now!"

EDIT: Newcomer: post to you're heart's content! I'm putting my money on 2-4 more replies before we go back to you guys. There could be more or less, mind you.

Newcomer
2012-12-06, 04:40 PM
EDIT: Newcomer: post to you're heart's content! I'm putting my money on 2-4 more replies before we go back to you guys. There could be more or less, mind you.

Well then I guess I'll think about what to post. :smalltongue:

I was more saying, don't worry I didn't disappear. Not that I have an aversion to posting something.

Arcanist
2012-12-06, 06:52 PM
This has been scratching at the back of my mind for weeks now, but Mr.DM would you have allowed me to play an Erudite if I had asked? :smalltongue:

Egneil
2012-12-07, 05:05 PM
From your recent replies I think that it might be a good idea to just move on to the next scene. Do you want me to bring the group together and start the caravan towards the forest path?

@Arcanist: When we were first starting up I probably would have, but now that I've described the role of psionics in the campaign I'll have to say I won't. Basically there hasn't been enough psionic research done for someone to become an Erudie. (Or at least in this part of the world.)

Newcomer
2012-12-07, 05:09 PM
I don't mind waiting for the characters who are out to finish up their scenes, but I'm also ready to go whenever. I'll defer that decision to the players involved. Especially since Arcanist had to wait so long while none of us woke him up, and now he's got a scene going.

Arcanist
2012-12-07, 10:37 PM
I don't mind waiting for the characters who are out to finish up their scenes, but I'm also ready to go whenever. I'll defer that decision to the players involved. Especially since Arcanist had to wait so long while none of us woke him up, and now he's got a scene going.

Nah... I'm mostly waiting for Thurod to come around and bonk me on the head or Frandol to talk to me about anything really. :smallsmile:

*Reads DM's post*

... :smallannoyed: *FLIPS TABLE*

Ah well... It really does go nicely with my idea that all Mindbenders are created differently and the idea that although we are all different, we are in some ways connected to each other :smallsmile: (Still waiting for someone to ask me why Issath is Lawful Neutral) :smalltongue:

EDIT:

For future reference, offering Issath food is very polite and nice, but most of the time it is a futile gesture considering that he doesn't really NEED to eat in the first place :smalltongue: (and eating in excess goes against his ideals).

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-07, 11:43 PM
Nah... I'm mostly waiting for Thurod to come around and bonk me on the head or Frandol to talk to me about anything really. :smallsmile:

*Bonk!* :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I'm pretty ready to move on whenever Issath and Frandol rejoin us.

...And why is Issath Lawful Neutral? :smallcool:

Newcomer
2012-12-07, 11:45 PM
Two things: one, did Issath just say "btw"? two, I'm glad to see the weasel likes music! Elestil the goblin pied piper?

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-07, 11:58 PM
Two things: one, did Issath just say "btw"? two, I'm glad to see the weasel likes music! Elestil the goblin pied piper?

:smallbiggrin: She's a sucker for anyone with a tune and the tools to play it by, though not enough to be hypnotized.

Newcomer
2012-12-08, 12:07 AM
:smallbiggrin: She's a sucker for anyone with a tune and the tools to play it by, though not enough to be hypnotized.

Unless I use my bardic music fascinate ability on her, that is... :smallwink:

Arcanist
2012-12-08, 01:22 AM
Two things: one, did Issath just say "btw"? two, I'm glad to see the weasel likes music! Elestil the goblin pied piper?

He could have spelt it out for you... Bee Tee Double You :smallredface:

Issath is lawful because... Honestly, I don't know... Meditant has it as a requirement. I might nix it if the DM is cool with it and make him a more logical Chaotic Neutral.

AMERGURD! YOU HAVE A FAMILIAR! +10 love for Thurod! :smallbiggrin:

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-08, 02:58 PM
Unless I use my bardic music fascinate ability on her, that is... :smallwink:

:smalltongue: True. Unless she makes the save...


AMERGURD! YOU HAVE A FAMILIAR! +10 love for Thurod! :smallbiggrin:

:smallbiggrin: Yep. She's a crotchety weasel, but she's still been Thurod's traveling companion since he was just setting out on his journey.

Also, anyone willing to help me with a project I'm working on?(It's a homebrew thing, not for this campaign, but something really cool anyways. :smallsmile:)

Newcomer
2012-12-08, 03:05 PM
Also, anyone willing to help me with a project I'm working on?(It's a homebrew thing, not for this campaign, but something really cool anyways. :smallsmile:)

Possibly. My experience with homebrew is similar to my experience with spaceflight. I've read about it, I've been on an airplane, and I've tried jumping as high as I can... :smalltongue: But I might be able to help.

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-08, 03:26 PM
Possibly. My experience with homebrew is similar to my experience with spaceflight. I've read about it, I've been on an airplane, and I've tried jumping as high as I can... :smalltongue: But I might be able to help.

:smallbiggrin: Well, I've only ever homebrewed one thing I'm proud of, while my other two projects I've let fade into the mists of obscurity, but I'm still making attempts. You think we should discuss it here, or in PMs?

Newcomer
2012-12-08, 03:29 PM
:smallbiggrin: Well, I've only ever homebrewed one thing I'm proud of, while my other two projects I've let fade into the mists of obscurity, but I'm still making attempts. You think we should discuss it here, or in PMs?

You can PM me, unless others pipe in as interested. Mind you, no guarantees I'll have any ideas.

Prince Zahn
2012-12-08, 04:23 PM
I like homebrews(if they're not a wizard or ToB fix, anyway), problem is I never got around used them, and moreover, never had much success crafting them myself...
I don't know how much help I could offer, perhaps much, perhaps none, but if you'd be kind to share I'd like to "read" you out.

Actually, I did not intend for Frandol to call Issath a demon, it was intended so we can follow Frandol's trail of thought through narration. like Robotnik I do a lot of the posting via phone, and thus it's harder to organize through revising the text , I may have missed a quotation mark or two, thus the confusion.
Anyway, I'm not fixing it, as it would anyway serve us some purpose.:smallsmile:

While I originally wanted Frandol to have selective hearing, I instead made him, to some extent... Well my fatigue must be catching up on me, because I can't find the word I want to use; I'll try to describe it:
Frandol thinks he has a solid understanding of the world, elves behave like this, halflings and dwarves act (so and so)-ly, alcohol does that, and magic and nature do these things to eachother. His reaction to something so different as Issath makes sense, if you think about it. This is new to him, he doesn't understand an Elan, and as such will try to make sense of such complex existence with ideas less sophisticated, he is a human that is not human, The options there seem atm like Doppleganger and shape-shifting demon; or witches, but let's leave that to the inquisitors.:smalltongue:

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-08, 11:03 PM
You can PM me, unless others pipe in as interested. Mind you, no guarantees I'll have any ideas.


I like homebrews(if they're not a wizard or ToB fix, anyway), problem is I never got around used them, and moreover, never had much success crafting them myself...
I don't know how much help I could offer, perhaps much, perhaps none, but if you'd be kind to share I'd like to "read" you out.

Well, since PZ showed up, I'll keep it here.

Basically, I'm looking to make this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeartIsAnAwesomePower)(WARNING: Link goes to TVTropes! Do not click unless you have a high enough Will Save to resist! :smallbiggrin:) into a class, a character who starts with a power that seems lame, but through practice and experience(I.E. Leveling up), develops awesome modifications to the basic power. So far, I have seven power ideas, which I'll share once I have your reactions to the base idea.

Newcomer
2012-12-08, 11:28 PM
To avoid annoying uninterested parties, I recommend confining homebrew discussion to spoiler tags, and then either a group PM or a new thread once it gets moving.

Homebrew
It sounds interesting. Are you talking 3.5? Because I don't know any other systems at this time, so I won't be much help otherwise.

Assuming it's 3.5, I'm still as interested as before. I'm trying to think of what kind of powers you might have in mind, but I highly doubt I'll land on the same list.

The first thing to come to my mind is skill mastery. A class with more skill points, all (or almost all) skills as class skills, and a higher (probably 2*level +6 instead of level +3) max ranks. It would allow you to pick up synergies and a slightly higher skill level at low levels, but it would really come into its own when you get to epic skill levels at mid-levels. Or to fit the theme, maybe they have to pick a very narrow list of class skills to master. DMs would ban Diplomacy masters. :smallwink:

Unless you're thinking of powers as in options to choose within the class, a la incantations and such. In which case a skill mastery direction could be one option among many.

The ability to levitate very small objects could be an interesting lame power. But clever players will probably find all sorts of ways to wield it.

Yeah, I think I'll be better at refining your ideas than coming up with my own, but we'll see.

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-09, 12:18 AM
To avoid annoying uninterested parties, I recommend confining homebrew discussion to spoiler tags, and then either a group PM or a new thread once it gets moving.

Good idea. :smallsmile:

Homebrew:

It sounds interesting. Are you talking 3.5? Because I don't know any other systems at this time, so I won't be much help otherwise.

Yeah, although it should be compatible with Pathfinder as well, given the similarities between the two systems.


Assuming it's 3.5, I'm still as interested as before. I'm trying to think of what kind of powers you might have in mind, but I highly doubt I'll land on the same list.

The first thing to come to my mind is skill mastery. A class with more skill points, all (or almost all) skills as class skills, and a higher (probably 2*level +6 instead of level +3) max ranks. It would allow you to pick up synergies and a slightly higher skill level at low levels, but it would really come into its own when you get to epic skill levels at mid-levels. Or to fit the theme, maybe they have to pick a very narrow list of class skills to master. DMs would ban Diplomacy masters. :smallwink:

Not exactly what I meant...


Unless you're thinking of powers as in options to choose within the class, a la incantations and such. In which case a skill mastery direction could be one option among many.

The ability to levitate very small objects could be an interesting lame power. But clever players will probably find all sorts of ways to wield it.

This, however, is. I will add levitation to my list of potential ideas. :smallbiggrin:


Yeah, I think I'll be better at refining your ideas than coming up with my own, but we'll see.

Well, my ideas-The first two are more refined, the rest need more work:

Paper-A character who starts out just being able to turn their body into paper(ALA Konan from Naruto) who learns to fold the paper into forms useful for attack, defense, and utility(I.E. They can form weapons, shields, imitate Summon Nature's Ally, flying, etc.), as well as have spells written on their skin, but only ones that can or must be read for their effects.

Metal-A character who can turn their skin into metal, which has mostly negative effects due to the fact that they're not used to having the added mass, but they learn to adjust(I.E. Get rid of their penalties and modify their boni upward.), as well as becoming potential manipulators of other metals as well. {Could probably stand more ways to use the metal power added, but only a few...}

Light-Not too sure how to add more to this, but it starts as them having a permenant at-will ability that imitates Light(The 0-level spell.)

Fusion-Not too certain. This one I'm open for ideas on.

Bone-Someone who can exhude bones from their body with minimal ill effects(Eventually, at least.), and eventually get to make bone constructs or bone summons, of all three major summon spells, plus whatever you guys can invent. :smallcool:

Teleport-Someone who cannot cross-plane teleport, and who starts off only being able to teleport five feet, but at a certain point can grab someone, teleport as a swift action 1000 ft. up, then teleport themselves back down as a move...while leaving their opponent in the air. Beyond that, again, still looking for ideas.

Ok, that's it...what do you guys think?

Newcomer
2012-12-09, 12:50 AM
Homebrew:

Paper-A character who starts out just being able to turn their body into paper(ALA Konan from Naruto) who learns to fold the paper into forms useful for attack, defense, and utility(I.E. They can form weapons, shields, imitate Summon Nature's Ally, flying, etc.), as well as have spells written on their skin, but only ones that can or must be read for their effects.

My first thought is granting a polymorph ability at level 1 seems like it could be pretty strong, but it is only paper. And that seems to be the type of power you really want, so let's work with it. Is it a full-sized body composed of paper? A 2-dimensional person? I can see bypassing doors by squeezing through the cracks, becoming an expert at picking locks, and a huge bonus to hide if you know which way to face. Susceptible to fire and wind, and water too. Possibly good at escape artist.


Metal-A character who can turn their skin into metal, which has mostly negative effects due to the fact that they're not used to having the added mass, but they learn to adjust(I.E. Get rid of their penalties and modify their boni upward.), as well as becoming potential manipulators of other metals as well. {Could probably stand more ways to use the metal power added, but only a few...}

At first you'd be susceptible to magnets (which aren't that common anyway), but maybe it would develop into an ability to generate magnetic energy and even electrical arcs to other metal objects. Susceptible to heat.


Light-Not too sure how to add more to this, but it starts as them having a permenant at-will ability that imitates Light(The 0-level spell.)

See that one I really like. Light is convenient. How would these abilities interact with opposing magic (darkness in this case)? Caster level/level check? Further developments: blinding people, confusion and concealment through strobe effects, ability to adapt the light to specific colors and possibly nonvisible light waves (x-ray detection), lasers, illusions, perform (laser show). :smallwink:


Fusion-Not too certain. This one I'm open for ideas on.

Not sure where you're going with that. Can fuse things to the body?


Bone-Someone who can exhude bones from their body with minimal ill effects(Eventually, at least.), and eventually get to make bone constructs or bone summons, of all three major summon spells, plus whatever you guys can invent.

Interesting, and sounds potentially very powerful. Probably starting with nonlethal damage and/or fatigue after using bones at low levels? Could be interesting if they can absorb skeletons for health/power/strength.


Teleport-Someone who cannot cross-plane teleport, and who starts off only being able to teleport five feet, but at a certain point can grab someone, teleport as a swift action 1000 ft. up, then teleport themselves back down as a move...while leaving their opponent in the air. Beyond that, again, still looking for ideas.

Blinking, possibly telekinesis and/or seeing into other planes or just a brief glimpse of any place within range of their teleport (like an instantaneous teleport where you don't complete the shift?)... teleport's a very strong ability, but a narrow focus. Maybe you can make short (10 ft.?) teleports as a swift action eventually? Or with a successful save you can teleport a weapon that strikes you (and eventually, anyone holding it, after a save), or possibly a spell effect? I'd suggest anything other than yourself would have a reduced teleport range.

I don't have grand ideas for this, but I can help flesh it out mechanically and suggest adjustments as you figure out where to take it.

Prince Zahn
2012-12-09, 03:21 AM
More of Frandol's exploits soon enough...

Homebrew:
Paper:agreed with a lot of what Newcomer said, this seems to offer plenty of stealth-based oppurtunities at the expense of defense, among other things.
From another perspective, a 3D paper form, also mentioned by Newcomer, also may have some neat options to explore for a higher level "paperman", A clump of paper is relatively easy to put back together, Perhaps DR/slashing or fast healing off the top of my head.
There are lots of opportunities to shape in an object with depth.
Alternatively he may temporarily assume construct immunities, save the things the polymorph effect doesn't change.
Being significantly lighter, but having depth he may get acrobat-esque bonuses rather than flying. It's weaknesses involve the qualities of paper(kill it with fire or water!, as well being a little bit a pushover(like wind and bullrushing(?)). He may be able to alternate between these different forms.

Metal: I'd be more worried about rusting than magnets, given the setting.I frankly don't think there would be an incredible need to minimize the blatant weaknesses, so long as they don't interfere with his primary strengths, for example, in metal form, a simple weakness may be a crippled speed, as well as disturbing dexterity AC and dodge-penalties, while a stand-alone strength may be a more powerful strike, electromagnetism to pull enemies towards the enemies is a very viable option, he would be "as full-plate-touch-AC as they come", and it might be frustrating to chase enemies down to strike, but here he has two neat options that, while not fixing the problems, make him quite potent. The way I see it, It's not making a strength of your weaknesses, but rather being a great unit to have DESPITE your obvious handicaps.

Light:for this one I'd like to draw your attention to the Complete Arcane's Geometer PrC, not the class itself, heavens no; rather the image portraying him.
I'll give you a moment...

Caught on yet? Consider the ability to manipulate, redirect or focus light,I wouldn't go as far as saying it's purely utility, because it won't function like that(3rd edition is not free enough to support lightbending, I'm afraid:smallfrown:
Rather I envision combat options, intensifying light, negating magical darkness, focusing the light for a variety of blinding attacks, heat based attacks, or a favorite - debuffs(as inspired by the infamous color spray and prismatic effects.)
Think "Pathfinder" for this one - if it has a reason to be, and fluff that justifies the mechanics behind it, you can make (just about) anything you want.:smallwink:

Fusion:that's tough, mostly because of the mechanical limitations in the system, It's easy to say "Spear+poison+rope=throwing snake", but that can't simply work outside a freestyle, or freedom-enforced roleplaying system.
Perhaps you can set basic guidelines, of what might go together and how, but I don't think it gets farther than that.

Bones: a little grim, I'd guess, I don't think I would be much help here.

Teleport: cue the Jetpack Joyride flashback :smallbiggrin:
Joking aside, Relocate unattended objects, provided you could move them normally, disarm attempt to teleport a held weapon/item 15-40 feet away, going all "Temporal Filcher" on your victims, except with space rather than time... Hostile teleport, lots of other BFC options beyond the above.

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-09, 01:02 PM
We're all eagerly waiting for more of Frandol, trust us. :smallbiggrin:

Homebrew:



You guys have given me a lot of awesome ideas to work with, for which I am incredibly grateful. :smallsmile: I believe I will drop the fusion idea, and stick with the other five for now, and start refining the concept as much as possible. Once I have it posted in the Homebrew forum, expect to see your names given as acknowledgements. :smallsmile:

Prince Zahn
2012-12-09, 02:55 PM
Rolling sense motive, not to see if Issath is lying, but to determine whether Frandol believes him(-1~8) or not(9~18), I'll craft my next step after that.
Sense Motive: [roll0]

Egniel: just pointing out, the above check is to some extent without point, but it's main purpose is to make a decision, much like a coin flip, rather than it's standard purpose, the reason is that Sense motive is the most fitting skill, as I try to decide Frandol's reaction to what he's been told. Since it could likely go either way, It's about 50-50%.

Homebrew:Awesome, glad we could help, when it makes the HB threads - send us a link, if you remember, will you?:smallsmile:

Egneil
2012-12-10, 08:11 PM
So I take it everyone's ready for a scene change now then?

Newcomer
2012-12-10, 08:46 PM
So I take it everyone's ready for a scene change now then?

Ready! Ready to hit the road and see what we should've thought to buy in town! :smallwink:

Say, did I make any money playing flute?

Arcanist
2012-12-10, 09:19 PM
So I take it everyone's ready for a scene change now then?

Indeed I am ready for a change in scene :smalltongue:

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-10, 09:51 PM
So I take it everyone's ready for a scene change now then?

As ready as we can be. :smallbiggrin:

Prince Zahn
2012-12-11, 01:10 AM
So I take it everyone's ready for a scene change now then? then it's unanimous?

Motion carried, change the scene when ready, DM!:smallwink:

Egneil
2012-12-12, 02:27 AM
A few notes about my post:
First, every merchant caravan considers hired guards to be a lesser priority then their caravan. Hired guards usually leave the caravan after a job anyway, so if you lose a few during the trip it's no big deal. Just the way of the world.

And secondly, not a lot of people actually live in Ridgewatch. It's primarily a trading town meant to keep the farmers and loggers fed and supplied.

Anyway here's the promised scene change. If nothing much happens here I'll just move you on to the forest.


Ready! Ready to hit the road and see what we should've thought to buy in town! :smallwink:

Say, did I make any money playing flute?

Nope no one put money into the hat, but your tune was loved by all.

Prince Zahn
2012-12-12, 02:39 AM
Egneil, are you saying we do not mourn the guards and, by extension, each other after encounter fatalities?

Egneil
2012-12-12, 11:42 AM
Egneil, are you saying we do not mourn the guards and, by extension, each other after encounter fatalities?

No that wasn't really what I was getting at. My point was more, if you come across something big and nasty, don't be surprised if the caravan flees. Guards are still mourned, and should a guard die on the job their body will either be brought with the caravan or simply given a proper burial.

Generally though guards flee with the caravan. Their jobs are to protect the caravan, not kill all who threaten it.

Dr.Robotnik
2012-12-12, 03:03 PM
I have a feeling that due to everyone having a mandatory non-optimization, combat is going to be hard for us...

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-12, 04:05 PM
I have a feeling that due to everyone having a mandatory non-optimization, combat is going to be hard for us...

It's certainly a possible fear, but remember, we are unusual, not necessarily weak. We each have strengths and weaknesses. The important thing is teamwork. So long as we unite our abilities and brains skillfully, we'll come out on top. :smallbiggrin:

Newcomer
2012-12-12, 05:23 PM
Expect illusions. Lots of illusions. :smallbiggrin:

Elestil should be fairly sharp with the bow, as well.

Egneil
2012-12-12, 06:49 PM
I keep an eye on your character sheets, so if you keep it up to date enemies will only be as powerful as the plot demands. :smallwink:

Dr.Robotnik
2012-12-12, 07:15 PM
Question on backstories, but we were all either with this group for variable amounts of time, or this is our first time working with the group. I want Grad to have been in the group since the beginning. What is everyone else doing backstory wise?(I want to know who Grad trusts more.)

Newcomer
2012-12-12, 11:27 PM
Question on backstories, but we were all either with this group for variable amounts of time, or this is our first time working with the group. I want Grad to have been in the group since the beginning. What is everyone else doing backstory wise?(I want to know who Grad trusts more.)

I know Elestil and Thurod were in the group already. I don't remember if Frandol was, but I seem to think so. I'm guessing Issath just arrived for this job.

Arcanist
2012-12-13, 01:11 AM
I'm guessing Issath just arrived for this job.

Issath is indeed the new guy in the group :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Just because I'm getting a feel for some combat soon, I'll most definitely alter Issath's personality strictly for fighting :smallamused:

Prince Zahn
2012-12-13, 01:52 AM
Question on backstories, but we were all either with this group for variable amounts of time, or this is our first time working with the group. I want Grad to have been in the group since the beginning. What is everyone else doing backstory wise?(I want to know who Grad trusts more.)

I wouldn't go as far as saying "Frandol has been with you guys since the very beginning", If my backstory notes are loyal enough, he's probably joined you guys at some point while seeking a sense of purpose for himself,
A little on Early Frandol - dedicated for the caravan veteran's discretion:
Some of you might remember Frandol as a high-maintenance crazed dwarf, who was dead-terrified of some elf following him. Those who've known him at the time knows he hides his true accent, but he didn't always do so, not before his previous meeting with the elf in Gorgon's ridge, the elf appeared that evening acted strangely, and that next very morning Frandol was petrified in the midst of an overpowering encounter. In great fear of sharing Frandol's fate escape seems difficult, but the elf, his name eludes you to this day, insisted you make your escape. That was the last you've seen of the elf, and the last you thought you would see of Frandol, who caught up with you guys a week later before the next journey, acting civilized, speaking and thinking of culture, and resuming his art career.all he tells you on the matter is that being saved by that elf puts some perspective, before smiling and changing the subject. To put a timeline into the matter, if noone objects, about a month and a half - maybe two months later, we left for the Remorhaz areas, Though Frandol's behavior is suspicious and odd, a long time has past since then, and thus far he betrayed no ill will, so you might be a little used to him by now.
Diplomacy(convince DM that this tidbit of the past should get a "green light"):
1dBias+effort

Newcomer
2012-12-13, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't go as far as saying "Frandol has been with you guys since the very beginning", If my backstory notes are loyal enough, he's probably joined you guys at some point while seeking a sense of purpose for himself,
A little on Early Frandol - dedicated for the caravan veteran's discretion:
Some of you might remember Frandol as a high-maintenance crazed dwarf, who was dead-terrified of some elf following him. Those who've known him at the time knows he hides his true accent, but he didn't always do so, not before his previous meeting with the elf in Gorgon's ridge, the elf appeared that evening acted strangely, and that next very morning Frandol was petrified in the midst of an overpowering encounter. In great fear of sharing Frandol's fate escape seems difficult, but the elf, his name eludes you to this day, insisted you make your escape. That was the last you've seen of the elf, and the last you thought you would see of Frandol, who caught up with you guys a week later before the next journey, acting civilized, speaking and thinking of culture, and resuming his art career.all he tells you on the matter is that being saved by that elf puts some perspective, before smiling and changing the subject. To put a timeline into the matter, if noone objects, about a month and a half - maybe two months later, we left for the Remorhaz areas, Though Frandol's behavior is suspicious and odd, a long time has past since then, and thus far he betrayed no ill will, so you might be a little used to him by now.
Diplomacy(convince DM that this tidbit of the past should get a "green light"):
1dBias+effort

I was under the impression that we'd only done the one missions before this one.

Prince Zahn
2012-12-13, 01:28 PM
I was under the impression that we'd only done the one missions before this one.


Well, the DM said he started us off in a caravan, and mentioned our previous journey through "Remorhaz Country", we might not be limited to just that...
I would prefer the impression that this isn't a just-formed caravan, I wouldn't mind having a little baggage if you guys don't mind having a little history...

Newcomer
2012-12-13, 01:40 PM
Well, the DM said he started us off in a caravan, and mentioned our previous journey through "Remorhaz Country", we might not be limited to just that...
I would prefer the impression that this isn't a just-formed caravan, I wouldn't mind having a little baggage if you guys don't mind having a little history...

I'm not opposed to a longer history, but probably not too long. Elestil gained a good chunk of his experience before he joined adventuring groups. Perhaps Elestil joined the group shortly after Frandol reappeared. Grad and Thurod could be holdovers from before the elf incident? I like the idea that this core group that (hopefully) ends up sticking together has been solidifying piece by piece.

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-13, 02:49 PM
I'm not opposed to a longer history, but probably not too long. Elestil gained a good chunk of his experience before he joined adventuring groups. Perhaps Elestil joined the group shortly after Frandol reappeared. Grad and Thurod could be holdovers from before the elf incident? I like the idea that this core group that (hopefully) ends up sticking together has been solidifying piece by piece.

I support this. It would make sense we've long been together, and given Frandol's backstory and what Newcomer has said of Elestil, this would give us a reasonable and story accurate shared background as allies. :smallsmile:

Newcomer
2012-12-14, 12:39 AM
PZ, I have a fun proposal for such occasions as this when we are in an inn for the night. Would Frandol be interested in collaborating with Elestil on a show? Frandol can provide illusions while Elestil provides the music. Possibly, Frandol can create an illusory character, and Elestil can use ventriloquism to make it appear he is the one singing. Alternatively (since Elestil could only concentrate on one spell or the other), each of them could cast an illusion, and they could act out the story Elestil is singing.

Since it is spell-intensive, we would only do this when we are in relative safety and don't mind using up spells. Or after investing in a wand...

DM, would the public buy into illusions as entertainment, or would they just be terrified of the magic? If the culture is fear-the-magic, then this obviously wouldn't work, but if people are pretty accustomed to magic, then they should enjoy it. I'm not looking to rake in the money through performances (though free drinks are nice :smallwink:), I just think it would be fun/hilarious. It'd be funny if were known more for our musical illusion shows than for our adventuring careers. :smallcool:

Prince Zahn
2012-12-14, 04:28 AM
PZ, I have a fun proposal for such occasions as this when we are in an inn for the night. Would Frandol be interested in collaborating with Elestil on a show? Frandol can provide illusions while Elestil provides the music. Possibly, Frandol can create an illusory character, and Elestil can use ventriloquism to make it appear he is the one singing. Alternatively (since Elestil could only concentrate on one spell or the other), each of them could cast an illusion, and they could act out the story Elestil is singing.

I love it, though Frandol has some attentive problems I have yet to play, if you do something we haven't rehearsed Frandol might slip up. He won't be ready for things unpredictable, but That sounds like a lot of fun!

Egneil
2012-12-14, 12:49 PM
DM, would the public buy into illusions as entertainment, or would they just be terrified of the magic? If the culture is fear-the-magic, then this obviously wouldn't work, but if people are pretty accustomed to magic, then they should enjoy it. I'm not looking to rake in the money through performances (though free drinks are nice :smallwink:), I just think it would be fun/hilarious. It'd be funny if were known more for our musical illusion shows than for our adventuring careers. :smallcool:

Depends on the region, but most places don't have a problem with it. I'll let you now if you're in a region like that. If I don't just tell you directly, I'll put clues into the narrative.


I wouldn't go as far as saying "Frandol has been with you guys since the very beginning", If my backstory notes are loyal enough, he's probably joined you guys at some point while seeking a sense of purpose for himself,
A little on Early Frandol - dedicated for the caravan veteran's discretion:
Some of you might remember Frandol as a high-maintenance crazed dwarf, who was dead-terrified of some elf following him. Those who've known him at the time knows he hides his true accent, but he didn't always do so, not before his previous meeting with the elf in Gorgon's ridge, the elf appeared that evening acted strangely, and that next very morning Frandol was petrified in the midst of an overpowering encounter. In great fear of sharing Frandol's fate escape seems difficult, but the elf, his name eludes you to this day, insisted you make your escape. That was the last you've seen of the elf, and the last you thought you would see of Frandol, who caught up with you guys a week later before the next journey, acting civilized, speaking and thinking of culture, and resuming his art career.all he tells you on the matter is that being saved by that elf puts some perspective, before smiling and changing the subject. To put a timeline into the matter, if noone objects, about a month and a half - maybe two months later, we left for the Remorhaz areas, Though Frandol's behavior is suspicious and odd, a long time has past since then, and thus far he betrayed no ill will, so you might be a little used to him by now.
Diplomacy(convince DM that this tidbit of the past should get a "green light"):
1dBias+effort

I don't mind this, but my original plan was that your mission of exploring the mine led directly to this one. (Proper planning takes a month or two, but even when your ready to execute it it'll take a few days before it's finished.) Your characters were planned to be a late addition. However if you'd like you could place this just before the exploration mission. That mission is when your group fully assembled, whether or not parts of your group was already assembled is up to you.

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-14, 01:46 PM
PZ, I have a fun proposal for such occasions as this when we are in an inn for the night. Would Frandol be interested in collaborating with Elestil on a show? Frandol can provide illusions while Elestil provides the music. Possibly, Frandol can create an illusory character, and Elestil can use ventriloquism to make it appear he is the one singing. Alternatively (since Elestil could only concentrate on one spell or the other), each of them could cast an illusion, and they could act out the story Elestil is singing.

Since it is spell-intensive, we would only do this when we are in relative safety and don't mind using up spells. Or after investing in a wand...

DM, would the public buy into illusions as entertainment, or would they just be terrified of the magic? If the culture is fear-the-magic, then this obviously wouldn't work, but if people are pretty accustomed to magic, then they should enjoy it. I'm not looking to rake in the money through performances (though free drinks are nice :smallwink:), I just think it would be fun/hilarious. It'd be funny if were known more for our musical illusion shows than for our adventuring careers. :smallcool:


I love it, though Frandol has some attentive problems I have yet to play, if you do something we haven't rehearsed Frandol might slip up. He won't be ready for things unpredictable, but That sounds like a lot of fun!

I support this idea. :smallbiggrin: And if I had any illusion spells, I'd join in, but alas, I do not. :smallfrown:

Prince Zahn
2012-12-14, 03:57 PM
I support this idea. :smallbiggrin: And if I had any illusion spells, I'd join in, but alas, I do not. :smallfrown:
You could be backup,
*daydreams of Thurod nat 20ing perform(sing) and initiating an aria while two silent images dance with eachother *:smalltongue:
"If only, If only..."- Zahn thought to himself.

Newcomer
2012-12-14, 10:09 PM
I support this idea. :smallbiggrin: And if I had any illusion spells, I'd join in, but alas, I do not. :smallfrown:

If we're willing to spend 750gp (give or take) on a wand of Silent Image, you could join in. :smallbiggrin:

Prince Zahn
2012-12-15, 04:56 AM
Aid another[Perform(Sing)]:[roll0]

Because it didn't read my roll in the IC.

Newcomer
2012-12-15, 09:25 AM
Ha, I wasn't intending to involve Frandol at this point, but I guess if we've been together for a while then they've probably hatched this plan in the past.

I don't know if aid another using perform (sing) is the best way to adjudicate it, though, but the DM can decide how to interpret that and advise us for the future.

EDIT: Also, this act was supposed to take more than a few minutes.. it's a lengthy epic, meant to cover at least half an hour, if not longer. But Frandol and Grad might have been able to fetch the bed while Elestil was setting up and playing the flute piece.

Prince Zahn
2012-12-15, 12:08 PM
Got it I'll edit my post,
If your still not pleased with it, I'll gladly edit it until you are.:smallsmile:

How's this?

Newcomer
2012-12-15, 01:39 PM
Got it I'll edit my post,
If your still not pleased with it, I'll gladly edit it until you are.:smallsmile:

How's this?

LOL! It's great. I wasn't complaining that your spell was too little (duration is concentration), or even that the plot was too little. I was just commenting that you were saying 'hang on a minute,' leaving things half-counted and the bed in limbo, for what was a rather lengthy performance.

I imagine Frandol would be familiar with most of Elestil's original verses, but it's possible he varies them up. No need to change anything. :smallsmile:

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-15, 06:32 PM
So...someone correct me here if I'm wrong, but there's no rule on the forum forbidding someone from being in two or more PBP games at once, right?

Just for clarification, I'm not asking because I am in any way, shape, or form bored with this game. It's just that I'm a college student fresh out of a semester...and with no job due to the economy(:smallfrown:), I have nothing else to do, so more games would be kinda awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Newcomer
2012-12-15, 07:57 PM
So...someone correct me here if I'm wrong, but there's no rule on the forum forbidding someone from being in two or more PBP games at once, right?

I sure hope not, as I'm in four! :smalleek:

Plenty of people play multiple games. If you have the time and the inclination, go for it!

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-15, 09:08 PM
I sure hope not, as I'm in four! :smalleek:

Plenty of people play multiple games. If you have the time and the inclination, go for it!

:smallbiggrin: Sweet...might look for/place a request for a Gestalt game.

Prince Zahn
2012-12-16, 05:08 AM
@Brains: in the words of the great leaders and champions before us: GLHF! :smalltongue:


LOL! It's great. I wasn't complaining that your spell was too little (duration is concentration), or even that the plot was too little. I was just commenting that you were saying 'hang on a minute,' leaving things half-counted and the bed in limbo, for what was a rather lengthy performance.

I imagine Frandol would be familiar with most of Elestil's original verses, but it's possible he varies them up. No need to change anything. :smallsmile:

Was that it? O_o that is funny ^_^
Did I say Frandol was a man of his word? Rule #1: Frandol lies, especially to strangers.
Intentional or otherwise, frandol may not follow what he tells a person he does not care for. Frandol doesn't mean anything with "hang on a minute", especially with image spells, as he concentrates, he really concentrates, if nobody bumps into him or something he could keep going for hours without noticing anything else, if Grad went to fetch the bed in the meantime, Frandol wouldn't have noticed. If Grad finished and returned, had a drink and a bowl of stew, ran some errands, bought a coffee at starbucks, hid the dwarf's handy haversack, and came back before Frandol finished, the dwarf would know none the wiser ó not until he needs his pack, anyhow...
For the record I can't stop laughing just explaining this to you guys.:smallbiggrin:

EDIT 18/12/12: seeing a few things a phrased wrong here... Most important to Clarify: Frandol speaks falsehoods as he chooses. since nobody here's a paladin it should be easier, and more tempting, but Frandol sometimes shares with those he knows trustworthy. Though a stranger to Frandol is not liable to what someone he knows and trusts is for, and the dwarf considers it mutual, be he reputed and honerable or otherwise.
And before I forget: there are reasons in mind, of course, why Issath stands out from this ordeal, despite him being the "new guy" in the group, but If Arcanist agrees I would rather the two of us concoct these things in eachother's discretion, probably afterwards forward to the DM.

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-18, 07:52 PM
:smallconfused: Where is everyone? Taking a break? :smallbiggrin:

Newcomer
2012-12-18, 07:59 PM
Well, I'm just waiting until we get to the reactions after the performance.

Dr.Robotnik
2012-12-18, 10:50 PM
I'm still here. Also, how do orcs fit in to this setting in terms of politics/opinions about them?
Since I haven't really had a good spot to make the "grad thinks he is a wizard gag", it might help if I knew a bit more about orcs.

Egneil
2012-12-18, 11:31 PM
I'm still here. Also, how do orcs fit in to this setting in terms of politics/opinions about them?
Since I haven't really had a good spot to make the "grad thinks he is a wizard gag", it might help if I knew a bit more about orcs.

As a general rule, Orcs, Goblins, Kobolds, and other monsterous races are seen as evil savages. Anyplace that defies that rule has a reason to do so. Kerjat in particular still sees them as monsters, but mostly they're seen as refugees fleeing from the dragon. People are still guarded with them, but they're willing to trade pleasantries. The further north in Kerjat you go, the more accepting they become. This is because every now and again they get people fleeing from the northern lands controlled by the dragon.

Arcanist
2012-12-18, 11:33 PM
I can't post in the IC thread :smallfrown:

Egneil
2012-12-18, 11:47 PM
I can't post in the IC thread :smallfrown:

How so? I don't think your character is involved with anything.

Prince Zahn
2012-12-19, 06:43 PM
Still here! Like Newcomer, I'm on standby during Elestil's interpretation of the epic, I'm keeping an eye on these threads until noted otherwise.

Egneil
2012-12-20, 03:23 AM
I'm trying to give everyone many opportunities for roleplaying, but I'm unsure if I'm letting the plot slow down too much. I'd like input from everyone on this, as this will cause more or less scene transitions/auto-movements. Mostly I'd like to know if I should just skip to after Elestil's performance.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes doing this, so I've been erring on the side of caution. (read:slow)

Anyway, I'll leave the decision up to you guys.

Prince Zahn
2012-12-20, 04:43 AM
I'm trying to give everyone many opportunities for roleplaying, but I'm unsure if I'm letting the plot slow down too much. I'd like input from everyone on this, as this will cause more or less scene transitions/auto-movements. Mostly I'd like to know if I should just skip to after Elestil's performance.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes doing this, so I've been erring on the side of caution. (read:slow)

Anyway, I'll leave the decision up to you guys.

I've taken/gotten some spotlight here and there, I don't mind sharing, so long as we don't belittle one-another without IC justification.

Newcomer
2012-12-20, 01:15 PM
I'm trying to give everyone many opportunities for roleplaying, but I'm unsure if I'm letting the plot slow down too much. I'd like input from everyone on this, as this will cause more or less scene transitions/auto-movements. Mostly I'd like to know if I should just skip to after Elestil's performance.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes doing this, so I've been erring on the side of caution. (read:slow)

Anyway, I'll leave the decision up to you guys.

I'm quite fine with whichever direction/speed you choose. I was anticipating a quick, 1-post response to the performance, as I also didn't want to slow down the plot too much (So I wrote the performance into 1 post). Depending how often opportunities to perform pop up, I do want Elestil to take those opportunities, but they don't need to take much spotlight every time. It's in his character to perform, as he's a performer, but the adventure isn't about his performing.

That said, I've enjoyed the detailed role-playing. I like that we've been able to interact with the shopkeepers and innkeeper instead of just saying 'you bought x, y, and z, got a room for the night, it's morning and you're on your way.' But it does slow down the adventure, and I wouldn't be opposed to glossing over things, too. So if someone feels like we're not getting anywhere, let's move it along; if everyone's enjoying this, that's great too.

I think a balance, with more detail sometimes, but less detail other times, is a good idea. And at the moment, we've had a lot of RP with very little action, so my guess is it's a good time for less detail. Although, with more detail, you have lots of room to hide little plot hooks. :smallwink:

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-20, 01:59 PM
I agree with PZ and Newcomer. It's a very good level of detail, and I love the fleshing out of NPCs, and the opposite fleshing out dealing with said NPCs brings about in our PCs. It's a very interesting approach, and I'm loving it with Thurod. :smallbiggrin:

That being said, I'd have no issue with any glossing over, provided it doesn't swing too far in the opposite direction, but I trust you, Egneil, so do what you think is right for the scenario. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Also...when will Thurod get his Flagon? I wanna see if he can handle it or not...or maybe it's for Ko and not for him... :smallwink: :smallbiggrin:

Arcanist
2012-12-20, 09:23 PM
How so? I don't think your character is involved with anything.

Everytime I go onto the IC thread, Google boots me off :smallfrown:

Newcomer
2012-12-20, 09:59 PM
Everytime I go onto the IC thread, Google boots me off :smallfrown:

That was happening to me, too. Something about a link. I overrode it and haven't had a problem. Can you go the page before the newest one? Maybe we just need to bump into the next page?

Egneil
2012-12-20, 11:00 PM
EDIT: Also...when will Thurod get his Flagon? I wanna see if he can handle it or not...or maybe it's for Ko and not for him... :smallwink: :smallbiggrin:

Sorry about that, I'll edit it in now.


Everytime I go onto the IC thread, Google boots me off :smallfrown:

Strange, I've never had that happen before. If Newcomer's idea doesn't fix the problem you could try deleting your cache. But again, it hasn't happened to me so it might not help.

Newcomer
2012-12-20, 11:05 PM
Arcanist: All of the IC posts since your last IC post are quoted for you here.


Thurod, having overheard Elestil's conversation with the innkeeper, chuckled knowingly as he placed down 5 gold on the counter, winking at the Goblin before turning back toward the innkeeper once more, "Pray tell, my good man, how much do you charge for a flagon of ale?"


Elestil's expression hardens for a few seconds. "Two thirds? You are correct, good sir, to surmise that most goblins make poor musicians. Yet most goblins do not offer music when they observe an empty stage. I'll accept your terms, and grant your establishment a performance to be remembered."

With that, Elestil turns to set up on the stage. He pulls up a chair and takes a seat. He begins a quiet tune on the flute, letting the guests slowly notice that there's a performer onstage, and warm up to the idea of being entertained. When he feels that he has the room's attention, he puts away the flute, slowly stands, and begins to sing. He chooses a well-known epic about the slaying of a great dragon, though he intersperses the familiar parts with verses of his own that he's worked out over time. The result is a work both familiar and new--the fun of colorful new details mixed into the comfort of a childhood favorite. Throughout, Elestil shows his customary fine-tuned control of his facial expressions. He even brings out a few truly terrifying goblin scowls, to depict the fearsome dragon in a fashion few human bards could match. In the end, he is quite satisfied with his performance. It wasn't his most difficult selection, but it was a well-rehearsed crowd-pleaser, and it was certainly a fun tale to tell!

I'm assuming, since he is neither threatened nor distracted, that he can take 10. If not, I can make the rolls OOC
Perform (wind instruments): 17 - the opening prelude
Perform (song): 22 - the main act


You're asking me if I can carry something? Of course I could carry a bed, I could probably lift a small house.
So, where is this bed?


"didn't he just sayó" Frandol turns to hear a familiar tune, Elestil's played this before. if You'll forgive me I have a part to fulfill, Grad, would you kindly..? Well then.

Frandol approaches to get a better view of the stage, waiting for the sign from Elestil to get started. then, like an puppeteer with strings on his fingers, he concentrates far behind the eyes of the audience, a small cloud of colorful mist appears on stage takes on the form of three dashing knights as they hold together against the harsh rainstorm, leading forty-three men from all the land behind them deprived of there homes in search in search of the dragon attacking who left them with nothing to lose.
As the story progresses Frandol tries to make the cues as best he could, but for a pair of times Elestil varies with fresh verses never rehearsed before with him before; Frandol had to recast another image spell, silent image and Minor image during the more climatic scenes, and the spell ended as Frandol tried to make sense of the twists.
Nearing the definitive moments of the epic Frandol releases his spell and changes to his final image spell, Major Image as he manipulates the sights, the smells, the clanking of swords in the shadows of Elestil's lead singing, the most important parts thankfully remained reliable to the way they were practiced in their occasional practicing. Out of forty-six men only thirty lived to face the dragon; finally, the dragon falls, with one knight and four men still alive, as they rebuild with the hoard, the victors were knighted and the heros of the deed both dead and living are remembered to this day.

To others his hand gestures might seem odd but those viewing him from the beginning could tell he's making the imagery move so freely.

With the clapping of hands Frandol releases the dragon, and the five remaining knights, and returns to the innkeeper,
"The goblin is amazing, is he not? Right then, since the Orc took the bed up the stairs I wish to pay for the room, and a drink for him, if he wishes."
Having coordinated with Elestil, Frandol is able to catch up and perform off stage. having stage-fright, this is probably one of the only ways Frandol would agree to make appearance in the show, Elestil didn't NEED Frandol for this, but surely they like performing together.
Aid Another[Perform(sing)]:[roll0]

Now, some might argue that having so many different moving objects is beyond the limits of a single "Image" spell, and at the DM's decision they may be right. I will argue, however, that if I made ten cups stacked in a triangular formation,would I not be able to shuffle them? or Move them around individually within the boundaries of a single casting?
Though perhaps controversial, I'm using 2 Silent, 1 Minor and 1 Major image spells for this throughout the epic, these are not consecutive, mind you, so they are used at the right signals.


"A flagon of ale? Depending on the brew, it can cost anywhere between a few copper to a few silver." The innkeeper said to Thurod, producing a key attached to a wooden tag. Placing it on the side of the counter he waves at the seats, "Your room is the second on the left, it's room number three. Take a seat if you're hungry though."

Pulling out three more keys he places one by Thurod's stating, "For your Goblin friend, room seven," The other two he shows to Grad. One is the normal room key on the wooden tag, while the other is longer and attached to a short length of chain. Holding the longer one in his other hand he says, "This key will unlock the storage room. If you're going to move the bed, my wife will show you to it."

---Elestil, Frandol---
Beginning your song the audience listens casually. Upon seeing the rainstorm indoors many more turn to look at the stage. Noting the lack of sound no one moves to the stage, knowing it to be an illusion. As you continue very few people speak to each other, but none stop conversations they already started.

OoC:
I'll be stopping here for the moment. Elestil's performance will take a while, so it'll take a few posts to finish. I'll do more with this in my next post.

Also it's customary in this land to leave your room key with the innkeeper until you wish to use your room.


"Wait, where can I find your wife then? I have no idea where anything is here...
Says Grad as he takes the keys from the man.


Pulling five silver out of his pack, Thurod grins at the man, "One flagon of your best brew then, my good man."

OOC
(OOC)Now here's the question: Is Thurod a teetotaler, or can he take one flagon? We shall see...:smallbiggrin:(/OOC)


"My wife's in the back, she's probably teaching the girls how to cook. She's the only redhead in the family so she'll be easy to spot," The innkeeper says. Turning he points to a door near the counter under the stairs, "That door leads to the kitchen. If she's not in there with the kids, then take a left and head through the side door," Taking Thurod's coins he calls back to the door, "I'll need a pint of Remmor-Glaze."

Moving to the door as it opens, a young woman heads out with a tray of food. Smiling at you she heads over to the diners and lets you through. Inside you find a standard kitchen with an open stove nearby the prep counters. Looking over the workers present you don't find any that resembles the innkeeper's description. Figuring that the wife isn't here you head to the side door to the left into the office. Opening the door you see a low desk covered with various papers. Behind it you find the innkeeper's wife, writing something on the desk.

"What is it now Lourie?" She said before glancing up from her work. Seeing you she raises an eyebrow and says, "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were one of my daughters. I take it Urnist sent you to me, what can I help you with?"

---Elestil, Frandol---
Keeping the crowd's attention one could see the goblin's musical skill as he wove the song with the images on the stage. As he sings Elestil keeps an eye on the crowd's reaction, especially during his own verses. During the song he was able to spot problems with some verses early enough to fix them. Others he was unable to spot in time, but over all it was shaping up to be a good performance.


"Your husband told me that I should talk to you about me moving this bed up to one of the rooms."
Says Grad as he shows her the key on a chain he was given.
"I was told that the bed was stored in a basement, if that makes a difference."


"I see then," She said with a sigh, "Well I suppose you made a deal. Follow me I'll show you our furniture storage."

Leaving the desk she walks past you with a quick stride. Following, she takes you through the kitchen to a small side passage. Along the way she comments, "Basement storage is for the food, it's colder down there so our food stays fresher. Furniture storage is above it, right through the door on the left here."

In the passageway she points to the door along the left wall. Opening it you enter to see tables and chairs stacked on each other by the left wall, "The bed should be along the right hand wall. There's a door at the back wall that goes outside to the service stairs. Your key will be able to unlock it," She said matter-of-factly, turning to the door, "I'll be back at the office if you have any additional questions. When you're done I'd prefer it if you locked up here."




It looks like 5 more posts for that IC page and then we'll be onto a new page.

EDIT: Egneil, if you'd like, you could throw in 5 "blank" posts to bump us over.

Prince Zahn
2012-12-21, 05:04 PM
EDIT: Egneil, if you'd like, you could throw in 5 "blank" posts to bump us over.
I don't think that's a good plan, given the rules at the top of every page on these forums.

And even if not the rules I, for one, wouldn't be happy if I looked into an IC thread to find blank posts, especially by the DM, much less since I'm part of this.
So please Ė no spam-bumping...

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-23, 05:14 PM
:smallconfused: Hey, PZ? Why the Avatar change?

Prince Zahn
2012-12-24, 05:08 AM
:smallconfused: Hey, PZ? Why the Avatar change?I was informed that my avatar image was currently coming from a malicious site, and that kept people away from threads I post in...:smallfrown:

I don't think I have a backup anymore, so until I find myself making a new avatar I won't be changing it from rich'a pre-made collection...

Anyhow, Frandol still wishes to have a conversation with Grad, so if it's all right I'd like for Newcomer and I to be back by Thursday.

Arcanist
2012-12-25, 12:47 AM
I was informed that my avatar image was currently coming from a malicious site, and that kept people away from threads I post in...:smallfrown:

I don't think I have a backup anymore, so until I find myself making a new avatar I won't be changing it from rich'a pre-made collection...

Anyhow, Frandol still wishes to have a conversation with Grad, so if it's all right I'd like for Newcomer and I to be back by Thursday.

Hmm... I can now go to the IC thread now :smallconfused: weird...

Prince Zahn
2012-12-25, 03:15 AM
Hmm... I can now go to the IC thread now :smallconfused: weird...

Definitely wierd, maybe I helped? :smallconfused:

ROFL at Issath atm, considering it's a weasel, at the table, with a flagon of ale, and one man trying to grab him from the other, shouldn't that be a dexterity check(I don't know about catching the weasel, but to avoid dropping the ale?)

Newcomer
2012-12-25, 11:59 AM
Definitely wierd, maybe I helped? :smallconfused:

ROFL at Issath atm, considering it's a weasel, at the table, with a flagon of ale, and one man trying to grab him from the other, shouldn't that be a dexterity check(I don't know about catching the weasel, but to avoid dropping the ale?)

Grapple attempt and a reflex save? :smallamused:

Arcanist
2012-12-25, 12:42 PM
Grapple attempt and a reflex save? :smallamused:

If Zahn tries to grapple me, do I get to respond? :smallamused:

Newcomer
2012-12-25, 01:03 PM
If Zahn tries to grapple me, do I get to respond? :smallamused:

Oy. I think you're being funny, as opposed to not understanding me,.. but to err on the side of caution, I meant Issath grabbing the weasel would be the grapple attempt, and I have no idea who should do the reflex save, but that's to avoid spilling the ale. If you wanted to solve it mechanically.

Prince Zahn
2012-12-25, 02:59 PM
If Zahn tries to grapple me, do I get to respond? :smallamused:

*GLOMP!*
Damage[glomp]: [roll0] non-lethal
no.:smallbiggrin:
only because it's Christmas...

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-25, 04:32 PM
:smallbiggrin: @^: Best conversation ever.

Also, Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays to any of you who possess a different holiday to celebrate. :smallsmile:

Egneil
2012-12-26, 04:02 PM
Sorry about the lack of posts for a while guys.:smallfrown: I've posted in the IC thread now though.

Anyway there are a few points to bring up in this post.
First Elestil made 7sp and 31cp from the performance, with 11cp of it coming from what he was able to sweep up into his hat. The exact amount was 2d8 sp with an additional half of the performance roll in cp. (This isn't a prosperous city so the base is lower.)

Bards and other performers never pick up the coins thrown onstage. (Unless that's part of the act.) They're generally swept up either between acts, when the stage is prepped, or when the stage is closed for the night and given to the owner where it's split. However many performers, especially those that travel, will put down a hat or bowl to collect some of the coins. The coins that fall in are usually considered as the performers when the owner give them their pay.

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-26, 04:20 PM
Sorry about the lack of posts for a while guys.:smallfrown: I've posted in the IC thread now though.

Anyway there are a few points to bring up in this post.
First Elestil made 7sp and 31cp from the performance, with 11cp of it coming from what he was able to sweep up into his hat. The exact amount was 2d8 sp with an additional half of the performance roll in cp. (This isn't a prosperous city so the base is lower.)

Bards and other performers never pick up the coins thrown onstage. (Unless that's part of the act.) They're generally swept up either between acts, when the stage is prepped, or when the stage is closed for the night and given to the owner where it's split. However many performers, especially those that travel, will put down a hat or bowl to collect some of the coins. The coins that fall in are usually considered as the performers when the owner give them their pay.

Good to see you Egneil. :smallsmile:

As I'm not Newcomer, I'm not too concerned for the coin. :smallbiggrin:

However, does the ale not have a Fortitude save DC? To avoid drunkeness? Or have you just decided it's not enough to get me drunk? :smallbiggrin:

Egneil
2012-12-26, 07:52 PM
Good to see you Egneil. :smallsmile:

As I'm not Newcomer, I'm not too concerned for the coin. :smallbiggrin:

However, does the ale not have a Fortitude save DC? To avoid drunkeness? Or have you just decided it's not enough to get me drunk? :smallbiggrin:

You don't have to make any saves just yet. One drink is never really enough to get someone drunk, unless it's either very strong or somehow magical. As a general rule you need to consume a number of drinks equal to your con modifier before you need to make saves.

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-26, 09:08 PM
You don't have to make any saves just yet. One drink is never really enough to get someone drunk, unless it's either very strong or somehow magical. As a general rule you need to consume a number of drinks equal to your con modifier before you need to make saves.

Ah, noted. My old IRL DM made us roll for even the first drink. :smallbiggrin:

Newcomer
2012-12-27, 12:26 PM
Sorry about the lack of posts for a while guys.:smallfrown: I've posted in the IC thread now though.

Anyway there are a few points to bring up in this post.
First Elestil made 7sp and 31cp from the performance, with 11cp of it coming from what he was able to sweep up into his hat. The exact amount was 2d8 sp with an additional half of the performance roll in cp. (This isn't a prosperous city so the base is lower.)

Bards and other performers never pick up the coins thrown onstage. (Unless that's part of the act.) They're generally swept up either between acts, when the stage is prepped, or when the stage is closed for the night and given to the owner where it's split. However many performers, especially those that travel, will put down a hat or bowl to collect some of the coins. The coins that fall in are usually considered as the performers when the owner give them their pay.

Frandol can take half of that, so 5sp.

Prince Zahn
2012-12-27, 01:29 PM
Frandol can take half of that, so 5sp.
Neato:smallsmile: I was hoping for some, but I never thought of getting more than 40% of the tipping.

I should clarify that with by stating that most of my adventures I find myself working my spells and swords off for 3 coppers a day...>_>

Newcomer
2012-12-27, 01:45 PM
Neato:smallsmile: I was hoping for some, but I never thought of getting more than 40% of the tipping.

I should clarify that with by stating that most of my adventures I find myself working my spells and swords off for 3 coppers a day...>_>

Well, as 7th level characters, they shouldn't be too concerned over how to split 10 silvers. :smallamused: Not that it's completely meaningless. Should probably be at least 60/40 if we do any large-scale, high-class performances, since Elestil could do a show on his own just as easily, but whatever. Elestil wants his fair share, but he's adventuring for knowledge and glory, not for wealth.

Prince Zahn
2012-12-28, 05:58 AM
Well, as 7th level characters, they shouldn't be too concerned over how to split 10 silvers.

Again, that never really stopped my previous DM from giving us ancient tombs with mummies with 2 gold coins worth of treasure...

I have a bad history of DMs who were scared of giving gold, so imagine my excitement when I heard "17,600 GP budget":smalltongue:
To describe it, imagine the Cheshire Cat's enormous grin, magnified and photoshop'd onto an awesomeface.:smallbiggrin:

Arcanist
2012-12-28, 06:47 AM
Again, that never really stopped my previous DM from giving us ancient tombs with mummies with 2 gold coins worth of treasure...

I have a bad history of DMs who were scared of giving gold, so imagine my excitement when I heard "17,600 GP budget":smalltongue:
To describe it, imagine the Cheshire Cat's enormous grin, magnified and photoshop'd onto an awesomeface.:smallbiggrin:

It's just as well really. I don't expect anyone to actually try and optimize in this campaign and WBL abuse is the first real sign of optimization.

I view this more as... a Sane and reasonable RP group that hates the idea if a Mary Sue as much as I do :smallbiggrin:

Prince Zahn
2012-12-29, 07:38 AM
It's just as well really. I don't expect anyone to actually try and optimize in this campaign and WBL abuse is the first real sign of optimization.

I view this more as... a Sane and reasonable RP group that hates the idea if a Mary Sue as much as I do :smallbiggrin:

That is... Well said, actually. >_>

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-29, 12:58 PM
That is... Well said, actually. >_>

Quite. :smallcool:

Arcanist
2012-12-29, 09:19 PM
Aww... Ko doesn't like me... :smallfrown: ... Maybe she's just grumpy... Perhaps from a bad dream? :smallamused:

ScrambledBrains
2012-12-29, 09:22 PM
Aww... Ko doesn't like me... :smallfrown: ... Maybe she's just grumpy... Perhaps from a bad dream? :smallamused:

Oh, she has no issue with Issath...she has issue with being called male. She's a very proud, female weasel. :smallbiggrin: Although, if you wanna get back on her good side, she likes to eat rats, so if you find one...:smallbiggrin:

Dr.Robotnik
2012-12-29, 09:34 PM
The urge to say "I did it thirty-five minutes ago" was really strong, but 35 minutes was waaaay to long to be reasonable.

Arcanist
2012-12-29, 09:52 PM
Oh, she has no issue with Issath...she has issue with being called male. She's a very proud, female weasel. :smallbiggrin: Although, if you wanna get back on her good side, she likes to eat rats, so if you find one...:smallbiggrin:

OOO! I have an interesting idea to catch a rat :smallbiggrin:

BUT! That is hardly the point, I'm surprised Thurod never asked Issath about that wicked image :smallbiggrin:

Prince Zahn
2012-12-30, 12:37 AM
The urge to say "I did it thirty-five minutes ago" was really strong, but 35 minutes was waaaay to long to be reasonable.

As I take it, it was a 30, maybe 35 minute performance, finishing ten minutes ago is fine.

Expect Frandol's post later today, or tomorrow.

EDIT: Alrighty then, that's up!
Also happy new year, to the cast and their stalkers!:smallbiggrin:

ScrambledBrains
2013-01-02, 03:27 PM
OOO! I have an interesting idea to catch a rat :smallbiggrin:

BUT! That is hardly the point, I'm surprised Thurod never asked Issath about that wicked image :smallbiggrin:

:smallbiggrin:

He's waiting for a more...opportune moment. :smallsmile:

Also, Happy New Year to everyone!

Arcanist
2013-01-03, 01:29 AM
:smallbiggrin:

He's waiting for a more...opportune moment. :smallsmile:

Also, Happy New Year to everyone!

Twas my Birthday (Jan 1st) :smallsmile:

EDIT: I feel that you and Frandol are planning something behind my back :smallwink: Now you wouldn't be happening to try and betray kind little Issath, would you? :smallamused:

Prince Zahn
2013-01-03, 07:19 AM
Twas my Birthday (Jan 1st) :smallsmile:

EDIT: I feel that you and Frandol are planning something behind my back :smallwink: Now you wouldn't be happening to try and betray kind little Issath, would you? :smallamused:

Happy B-day, Arcanist!:smallbiggrin:
OMIGOSH SCRAMBLED HE FOUND US OUT!:smalleek:

No point in lying anymore, is there?
Since you needed to know: Truth is at the next campfire outdoors, we were going to hire a needlefolk Shadowdancer to lure Issath in with Grad's candy attached to it's back, once he gets to the desired spot he will step in a portable hole. at that point Elestil plays his best music to fascinate the allegedly human enigma. All the while Frandol sets everything together with Grad back at camp for the ultimate set-up. As Elestil walks a fascinated Issath back to camp, with a suggestion engrained deep into his mind he searches for his pack to find an object missing from his pack, at which point we shout out "Happy trickster's day!"
As we all tell stories around the fire in the joy of a fake holiday, Frandol takes a gift for Issath - the missing item. As Issath completely forgot he owned the item he accepts it gladly while the needlefolk Shadowdancer gives Issath a bear-hug out of nowhere. Having injury sleeping poison on his needles we take the mules as the walking-stalker of a cactus takes unconscious Issath to the astral plane from whence they came, and we all have a happy life as a new sun rises.
:smallamused:

But now that you've found us out, I guess we'll have to change the plan and target, won't we? I nominate Naveris!:smallbiggrin:

ScrambledBrains
2013-01-03, 11:46 AM
Twas my Birthday (Jan 1st) :smallsmile:

EDIT: I feel that you and Frandol are planning something behind my back :smallwink: Now you wouldn't be happening to try and betray kind little Issath, would you? :smallamused:

Ah, then happy birthday as well! :smallsmile:

Hmmm...nope. :smallcool: Why would we do that? :smallbiggrin:

ScrambledBrains
2013-01-06, 08:18 PM
Everyone ok? :smallconfused: :smallfrown:

Newcomer
2013-01-06, 11:07 PM
Everyone ok? :smallconfused: :smallfrown:

I'm here, but I'm out of town and haven't had as much time as usual the last few days, but I'll get an IC post in soon.

Prince Zahn
2013-01-07, 07:46 AM
Hey I'm here, but I'm trying to put together something for my next post, as dinner conversations really really aren't my forte.

Keep going in the meantime, folks.

Egneil
2013-01-08, 01:10 AM
I'm still here, mostly waiting for the others to post. Also sorry about the long waits between mine.

Also, if it helps, it's getting late in-game. You have enough time to do what you want/need to, but you might be able to use it to your advantage.

Dr.Robotnik
2013-01-09, 06:46 PM
I'm here, I just tend to reply, not start things.

Prince Zahn
2013-01-10, 03:00 AM
I'm here, I just tend to reply, not start things.

Of course if you get an idea, by all means don't shy from it.:smallsmile:

Egneil
2013-01-11, 10:48 PM
Ok, so I take it I should skip over to the next morning?

Newcomer
2013-01-12, 12:22 AM
Fine by me.

ScrambledBrains
2013-01-12, 12:31 AM
Ok, so I take it I should skip over to the next morning?

Works for me. :smallsmile:

Prince Zahn
2013-01-12, 03:15 AM
Perhaps, but I would like to get 1 more topic out there, if you could ever so kindly, it's simply one I'd rather do in our quarters.

I really didn't mean to stall, but I would rather do this where Frandol figures quiet and within four-eyes and two mouths.

Arcanist
2013-01-13, 03:39 PM
Ok, so I take it I should skip over to the next morning?

I've been monkeying around the forum and prepping for going back to school :smalltongue: (Sorry about that)

Prince Zahn
2013-01-13, 05:29 PM
More on Frandol soon enough, things are a bit busy I haven't had any real time to claim for myself while I had the ability to think.

Just a little longer, guys, and I'll summon the strength to post - promise!

Prince Zahn
2013-01-15, 01:25 PM
Sorry for the double post.


this post in the IC thread
And so the conversation REALLY begins.

EDIT:before I forget with the latest post in mind - who called it?:smalltongue:

Arcanist
2013-01-16, 01:25 AM
"Unless Issath is a vampire or a doppelganger or a doppelganger-vampire, he is no threat, especially to us. If he attacks us, he dies, end of story. "
"Thinking about it, he might be a vampire. I might whack him with a vial of healing potion later, to see if it hurts him."

DO IT! :smallbiggrin:

Egneil
2013-01-17, 07:14 PM
Are we just waiting for Dr. Robotnik to post, or is Grad too far asleep to answer (and thus ready for me to speed things up)?

Dr.Robotnik
2013-01-17, 08:13 PM
Grad is already asleep.

Prince Zahn
2013-01-18, 05:51 AM
Grad is already asleep.
A little counter-productive, but if this is hopeless then whatever >_>

Dr.Robotnik
2013-01-20, 12:50 AM
It's not that I want to kill conversations, but the plot is dragging so hard right now...

Prince Zahn
2013-01-20, 05:33 AM
True, we've been moving pretty slow for a long time, and if everyone's on board, starting the in-game next day we can skip through some unimportant bits to try and get to some action.

That being said, it is important to me to give Frandol's warnings, paranoia-induced or otherwise. Even if we have a grasp OOC on some of these events, it is alien to the dwarf and to most of us IC - right now he needs someone he believes he can trust to hear him out, otherwise we're both being utterly rude here, y'know?

P.S. Also, as far as Frandol knows, you are a user of magic who learned to fight with weapons, and not any sort of psionic user.
For some reason it never crossed the dwarf's mind to check any of you guys...

Dr.Robotnik
2013-01-20, 10:58 AM
Grad doesn't know he is psionic either (no ranks in knowledge psionics). He thinks he is some sort of sorcerer that doesn't follow any of a sorcerer's rules for casting. (He could cast a lvl 1 power 25 times if he wanted)

Prince Zahn
2013-01-20, 12:50 PM
Neat, all the better, I've made sorcerers without spellcraft/K(A) before, not everyone needs to know the true source of his power to be effective.

Are we on the same page here, though? I'm asking since you only replied to the post-script.

ScrambledBrains
2013-01-21, 12:47 PM
Not to interupt...but I have a question for Egneil, once he posts here. :smallsmile:

Carry on. :smallcool:

Dr.Robotnik
2013-01-21, 06:12 PM
I said Grad was listening, but didn't see any of Isaath's oddities as potentially dangerous, but is willing to spend 50 gp (which would be like $5k I think) to make sure some of the more potentially dangerous possibilities are checked for.

Newcomer
2013-01-22, 11:33 PM
Has anyone heard from Egneil? I know he's been struggling with finding time for posts. I'm just getting a little worried now that it's been almost a week since our last IC post.

I don't mind the slow pace of play; I just want to make sure we're all still here.

Egneil
2013-01-23, 02:58 PM
Ugh, sorry about the delay's guys. I've just gotten stuck on exactly how far I want to push the plot forward. I could go to the first fight but I'd be moving your characters farther then I'd like.

Anyway I've finally decided on how far to push things so expect a post soon, and sorry about the delay.

Prince Zahn
2013-01-25, 04:11 PM
Day 2.
Pardon the silliness - not all our characters share the "minutemen lifestyle". :smalltongue:

Anyway, so as to not waste time Frandol is comfortable with Endure Elements, cast earlier today. I'm redoing the illusionist's allotment with that in mind.

ScrambledBrains
2013-01-25, 05:42 PM
Day 2.
Pardon the silliness - not all our characters share the "minutemen lifestyle". :smalltongue:

Anyway, so as to not waste time Frandol is comfortable with Endure Elements, cast earlier today. I'm redoing the illusionist's allotment with that in mind.

No worries, we enjoy the silliness. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Robotnik
2013-01-26, 03:46 PM
Were we ever told who/what Shiv'tra'vas is?

Newcomer
2013-01-26, 04:17 PM
Shiv'tra'vas is the dragon who has terrrorized the northern lands for centuries. Elestil can tell you a bit more IC at some point, from a bardic knowledge check back before we left. Mainly he's just an old, powerful dragon. :smalleek:

EDIT: See the Opening Fluff in this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13950402&postcount=28).

Prince Zahn
2013-01-26, 05:17 PM
EDIT: See the Opening Fluff in this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13950402&postcount=28).

Why, thank you, Newcomer! I had a hunch there for a while there was a referrence point we forgot to put in the OOC thread;:smallsmile: Just couldn't lay my finger on it.

So, yeah. Shiv'tra'vas is a dragonic tyrant who greeds for territory, some legends claim that from where his army last marches a fearsome blizzard is left behind, others preach of his mere presence to have paled the livened bonfires, the bustling forest earth, and the beating hearts of warriors.

Newcomer
2013-01-27, 01:02 AM
Egneil, do I have a rough estimate of how far away the glint is?

Group, I'm considering whether (and when) to cast Clairaudience/Clairvoyance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/clairaudienceClairvoyance.htm), but I'm not sure whether I should (especially given the previous failed scrying of this forest). I'd appreciate any input/advice. :smallsmile:

Egneil
2013-01-27, 01:53 AM
Egneil, do I have a rough estimate of how far away the glint is?

It's about 300~400 feet away through a bunch of trees. Mostly it's a little over a minute away from your current position at a walking pace.

Prince Zahn
2013-01-27, 03:22 AM
As far as I can tell, if it can block scrying - it can block clairvoyance, you can risk wasting a spell, but the alternative result may help greatly - It's your call.

I may be less active than usual for a couple of days, but worry not, I'll try to keep up.

Newcomer
2013-01-28, 04:56 PM
As far as I can tell, if it can block scrying - it can block clairvoyance, you can risk wasting a spell, but the alternative result may help greatly - It's your call.

Yeah, between that and only having one 3rd-level slot, I'll hold off. Summon Monster could come in handy. :smallwink:

Prince Zahn
2013-01-28, 05:04 PM
Yeah, between that and only having one 3rd-level slot, I'll hold off. Summon Monster could come in handy. :smallwink:

It's Kay, we'll always have it for top-secret espionage.:smalltongue:

ScrambledBrains
2013-01-28, 06:15 PM
Yeah, between that and only having one 3rd-level slot, I'll hold off. Summon Monster could come in handy. :smallwink:

Yeah, I was gonna suggest you save it as well. Don't wanna waste limited resources and all that. :smallsmile:


It's Kay, we'll always have it for top-secret espionage.:smalltongue:

:smallbiggrin:

ScrambledBrains
2013-01-28, 11:50 PM
Forgive the double post. :smallredface:

PZ, in the IC thread, who do you mean by, 'little fellow'?

Prince Zahn
2013-01-29, 03:03 AM
Forgive the double post. :smallredface:

PZ, in the IC thread, who do you mean by, 'little fellow'?
Elestil went scouting, I take it?
Frandol is short, but he's not the smallest, some people make themselves feel a little bigger by going by someone smaller, it's not an underestimate, it's one of the little subconscious feelings that Frandol may have inside and may not.

ScrambledBrains
2013-01-29, 11:21 AM
Elestil went scouting, I take it?
Frandol is short, but he's not the smallest, some people make themselves feel a little bigger by going by someone smaller, it's not an underestimate, it's one of the little subconscious feelings that Frandol may have inside and may not.

Oh.

No, I don't think he went scouting. He just rolled a Spot and Listen Check. :smallsmile:

Newcomer
2013-01-29, 01:38 PM
No, Elestil just scanned the horizon and rolled a nat 20 on spot. :smallbiggrin:

At most he stepped 10-15 ft. away to see through the trees better.

Prince Zahn
2013-01-29, 02:10 PM
Well, then, being the only one to really see the anomaly, will you be perusing it? I may need to edit later anyway, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Newcomer
2013-01-29, 02:25 PM
My instinct was to proceed slowly as a group, but I can scout ahead if someone suggests it.

Prince Zahn
2013-01-29, 04:32 PM
My instinct was to proceed slowly as a group, but I can scout ahead if someone suggests it.

Golden rule: Don't do anything you don't want to if an NPC doesn't force you into it.
-Why? Because we're gamers! Coming up with half-4$$3d excuses to do as we like and whim is part of the job description!:smallwink:

Newcomer
2013-01-29, 05:21 PM
Golden rule: Don't do anything you don't want to if an NPC doesn't force you into it.
-Why? Because we're gamers! Coming up with half-4$$3d excuses to do as we like and whim is part of the job description!:smallwink:

Haha! Well, it's not so much that I don't want to scout ahead, as that's not what Elestil thought to do at first, and I don't want to change that.

Both he and I would be willing to scout ahead, but he's not suggesting it yet.

Dr.Robotnik
2013-01-29, 10:14 PM
I would be willing to check this glint out with whoever is going.

Newcomer
2013-01-29, 10:41 PM
Well, what shall we do, then? Elestil can be stealthy if need be, plus he has invisibility.

ScrambledBrains
2013-01-29, 10:58 PM
Well, what shall we do, then? Elestil can be stealthy if need be, plus he has invisibility.

Our best bet is probably to check it out, at least a little. I'll have Thurod call for a group huddle, and we can turn our attention that a way. :smallwink:

Also, anyone see Arcanist? He hasn't posted in quite a while. :smallfrown:

Prince Zahn
2013-01-30, 02:20 AM
Edited my post - we may proceed.

Yay - More huddles! :smallsmile:

Prince Zahn
2013-02-01, 06:00 AM
Sorry for the double post - how come everything I ask to keep going grinds to a halt?

Where are you guys?

ScrambledBrains
2013-02-01, 06:43 AM
@^; Sorry, I did mean to post sometime soon, but this week is my first week back at college after winter break. It just keeps skipping my mind, but I promise I'll post tonight. :smallsmile:

Prince Zahn
2013-02-01, 08:45 AM
@^ I'm not asking for an apology, it just feels terrible - as if I killed the threads by being the last poster.

On the same token, With all honesty - Do you fellows see me as a guy who always has to get the last word? (Like now?)

Newcomer
2013-02-01, 11:40 AM
@^ I'm not asking for an apology, it just feels terrible - as if I killed the threads by being the last poster.

On the same token, With all honesty - Do you fellows see me as a guy who always has to get the last word? (Like now?)

I hadn't noticed anything of the sort. You probably notice that pattern because you're one of the ones who checks in most often. I hadn't posted because I was awaiting the Thurod huddle.

Egneil
2013-02-01, 01:17 PM
I've been keeping an eye on things but I haven't been posting because it would inevitably lead to spoilers.

Anyway I've been wondering how to deal with experience and leveling up. Currently my thoughts are to grant the experience you've gained during times when the party is resting. (Like at the end of a quest or when you've made camp for long-term healing.) During this time you could level up if you had enough, or spend it on making magical items if you have the materials.

This just seems like something we should agree on before I start up encounters.

Prince Zahn
2013-02-01, 05:55 PM
I've been keeping an eye on things but I haven't been posting because it would inevitably lead to spoilers.

Anyway I've been wondering how to deal with experience and leveling up. Currently my thoughts are to grant the experience you've gained during times when the party is resting. (Like at the end of a quest or when you've made camp for long-term healing.) During this time you could level up if you had enough, or spend it on making magical items if you have the materials.

This just seems like something we should agree on before I start up encounters.

Sounds fair game to me, most of my PbP DMs would keep our XP to themselves until they deemed it fit for us to Lv.UP.

Speaking for myself, however, I preffered it that way - I can be petty at times, sometimes wondering(albeit in a bottled up fashion) how much is my effort worth when compared to everyone else's, To prevent my own angst and curiosity building I would suggest having whatever XP we gained PMed to us ó out of sight Ė out of mind, out of discussion, debate, and apocalyptic annihilation, after all.:smallsmile:

Newcomer
2013-02-01, 06:01 PM
I have no preferences on how XP is given. PMing would be fine, whenever you feel it's appropriate.

ScrambledBrains
2013-02-01, 06:14 PM
Ditto my above compatriots about PMing. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Robotnik
2013-02-01, 07:50 PM
I care not about how EXP is given out.

ScrambledBrains
2013-02-04, 07:28 PM
Still no Arcanist...this is worrying me. :smallfrown:

Prince Zahn
2013-02-05, 12:12 PM
Still no Arcanist...this is worrying me. :smallfrown:

Did Frandol, and as an extension, Myself, say something deterring to him?
I reckoned I made it clear what he thinks is his view of Issath...

Nothing to do with Arcanist, though, the whole point is for Frandol to be waaay off.

ScrambledBrains
2013-02-05, 12:42 PM
Did Frandol, and as an extension, Myself, say something deterring to him?
I reckoned I made it clear what he thinks is his view of Issath...

Nothing to do with Arcanist, though, the whole point is for Frandol to be waaay off.

Dunno...he might just be busy, I hope.

Prince Zahn
2013-02-05, 12:50 PM
If he would honor us with a return,we will welcome him, and all would be great.
I'm not sure, however, that waiting in angst is the right thing to do.
After all, we can only enjoy what we have, not what we want.

Newcomer
2013-02-05, 01:45 PM
Arcanist, we miss you! Hopefully you're just having computer trouble and will rejoin us shortly. Has anyone tried PMing him?

Prince Zahn
2013-02-05, 02:29 PM
I did, just a little checkup, I have yet to hear from him.

Dr.Robotnik
2013-02-05, 08:37 PM
With+1 Dec, hide and MS are 11. Also, I never managed to fully understand temp HP. If I have 5 temp HP and 10 HP, and take 8 damage from a hit, do I have 7 or 10 HP left?

Edit- screw you phone. Stop autocorrecting things.

Newcomer
2013-02-05, 08:41 PM
With+1 Dec, hide andMS are 11. Also, I never managed to fully understand temp HP. If I have 5 temp HP and 10 HP, and take 8 damage from a hit, do I have 7 or 10 HP left?

See here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm#temporaryHitPoints).

If you have 10 HP and gain 5 temporary HP, then you have 15 HP to work with. When you lose 8 HP, you go down to 7, losing the temporary HP first. So when the effect is over, you'll still be at 7 HP. If you had lost 4 HP instead, you'd fall to 11 HP, but when the effect is over, you'd end up back at 10.

So temporary Hit Points are always lost first. (Note that hit points from a CON score increase (i.e. Rage) are not "temporary Hit Points," and are not lost first).

Prince Zahn
2013-02-05, 11:59 PM
Just got word from Arcanist, school's a bit rough on him lately, so he hasn't had a good opportunity to post, if he can find the time I'm sure he'd love to get back in action.:smallsmile:

Arcanist
2013-02-06, 09:15 PM
Just got word from Arcanist, school's a bit rough on him lately, so he hasn't had a good opportunity to post, if he can find the time I'm sure he'd love to get back in action.:smallsmile:

:smallfrown: UGH! Yes, School is acting a foo' I'll try and find time to post more often

Dr.Robotnik
2013-02-07, 11:21 PM
Is the latest post in the IC thread referring to just Grad, or Elestil as well?

Newcomer
2013-02-07, 11:25 PM
Is the latest post in the IC thread referring to just Grad, or Elestil as well?

I was assuming it was for both of us.

Egneil
2013-02-07, 11:51 PM
It was meant for both of you, I just gravitated to posting it from Grad's perspective because he was farther back. He's currently stealthy enough to not be heard, but I stopped here because he can't get much closer without being heard.

Newcomer
2013-02-09, 12:34 AM
Sorry, it's been a full, busy day, and I don't have the energy to figure anything out right now. Grad can make a decision now, or I'll be back tomorrow to plug in Elestil.

Egneil
2013-02-11, 12:06 AM
Dr. Robotnik, are you okay with Grad staying behind while Elestil scouts ahead further? If you are then I'll be able to post in the morning.

Dr.Robotnik
2013-02-11, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I am, I just haven't been able to get a reply up until now.

Prince Zahn
2013-02-13, 12:03 PM
Please pardon the impatience, but I was in unease with my lowered posting rate.
Scrambled, As described in the IC post(in an OOC spoiler) How about a little playing while we wait for Elestil and Grad(if you can)?

ScrambledBrains
2013-02-13, 08:02 PM
Please pardon the impatience, but I was in unease with my lowered posting rate.
Scrambled, As described in the IC post(in an OOC spoiler) How about a little playing while we wait for Elestil and Grad(if you can)?

Sure. :smallbiggrin:

ScrambledBrains
2013-02-14, 03:55 PM
Forgive the double post.

Egneil, since I'm a Sorceror and not a Wizard, would I have to roll a spellcraft check to read Frandol's spellbook? And if so, what DC?

Egneil
2013-02-14, 04:20 PM
Forgive the double post.

Egneil, since I'm a Sorceror and not a Wizard, would I have to roll a spellcraft check to read Frandol's spellbook? And if so, what DC?

Seeing as spellbooks contain the entire spell, anyone with spellcraft should be able to read a spellbook. And seeing that you both choose spells from the same list, I'll say that the DC to read Frandol's spellbook would be 19.

Nevermind. The quote from the SRD will do.

Prince Zahn
2013-02-14, 04:20 PM
From the SRD:

Arcane Magical Writings
To record an arcane spell in written form, a character uses complex notation that describes the magical forces involved in the spell. The writer uses the same system no matter what her native language or culture. However, each character uses the system in her own way. Another personís magical writing remains incomprehensible to even the most powerful wizard until she takes time to study and decipher it.

To decipher an arcane magical writing (such as a single spell in written form in anotherís spellbook or on a scroll), a character must make a Spellcraft check (DC 20 + the spellís level). If the skill check fails, the character cannot attempt to read that particular spell again until the next day. A read magic spell automatically deciphers a magical writing without a skill check. If the person who created the magical writing is on hand to help the reader, success is also automatic.

Once a character deciphers a particular magical writing, she does not need to decipher it again. Deciphering a magical writing allows the reader to identify the spell and gives some idea of its effects (as explained in the spell description). If the magical writing was a scroll and the reader can cast arcane spells, she can attempt to use the scroll.
You can do it!:smallwink:

EDIT: Ninja'd! who get's ninja'd in PbP?!
FURTHER EDIT: Omilord, scrambled, I'm sorry I raised the DC for ya!:smallfrown:

ScrambledBrains
2013-02-14, 04:47 PM
From the SRD:

You can do it!:smallwink:

EDIT: Ninja'd! who get's ninja'd in PbP?!
FURTHER EDIT: Omilord, scrambled, I'm sorry I raised the DC for ya!:smallfrown:

No worries, PZ. If I don't roll high enough, I'll burn a cantrip to cast Read Magic.

Remind me, you only know up to 4th level spells? Or is it 3rd?

Prince Zahn
2013-02-14, 07:08 PM
No worries, PZ. If I don't roll high enough, I'll burn a cantrip to cast Read Magic.

Remind me, you only know up to 4th level spells? Or is it 3rd?
7th level wizard, so 4th:smallwink:
Also, what do you mean only up to fourth? I would kill for my DM IRL to run an adventure for me long enough for me to reach LV.7, without ruining everything my character stands for first.:smallfrown:

Vamber(as seen in my avatar), unfortunately, suffered that fate in a RL game, I still haven't truly forgiven my DM.

ScrambledBrains
2013-02-14, 07:43 PM
7th level wizard, so 4th:smallwink:
Also, what do you mean only up to fourth? I would kill for my DM IRL to run an adventure for me long enough for me to reach LV.7, without ruining everything my character stands for first.:smallfrown:

Vamber(as seen in my avatar), unfortunately, suffered that fate in a RL game, I still haven't truly forgiven my DM.

Kay. :smallbiggrin: I just meant that, well, I want to see how high I'd have to roll. :smallwink: Besides, I guess I'm a tad jaded, since my one campaign went from level 1 to level 14.

My sympathies. :smallfrown:

Newcomer
2013-02-14, 10:36 PM
Those were my two thoughts: alarm or something to do with the magical silence. Given that I hit the DCs and got to see the spoiler (:smallbiggrin:), Elestil is freezing in place for the moment, not wanting to cause any visible footprints. But if they approach closer he'll withdraw.

Newcomer
2013-02-15, 01:42 AM
Sorry for the double post. I totally missed the spellcraft dc by the spoiler the first time (which with the spell list makes 2 mistakes--I should just go to bed), so I'll roll now. If I fail, Elestil goes back to his initial guess of See Invisibility.

Spellcraft: [roll0]

I'm editing my IC post if you didn't see that yet, btw.

Egneil
2013-02-15, 03:13 AM
Now that Elestil entered initiative time, (I would say combat round but Elestil beat the gnome on initiative), I'd like to say that you don't need to worry about posting out of turn. I'll be waiting until everyone posts for the turn before I move onto the next, so just post when you can I'll put every one in the right order.

Also the a DC:10 Knowledge(Geography) check will tell you that the rolling language is Gnomish.

ScrambledBrains
2013-02-15, 01:09 PM
Now that Elestil entered initiative time, (I would say combat round but Elestil beat the gnome on initiative), I'd like to say that you don't need to worry about posting out of turn. I'll be waiting until everyone posts for the turn before I move onto the next, so just post when you can I'll put every one in the right order.

Hey, Newcomer? If things get too hairy for Elestil, don't be afraid to flee back to us. Five against three are much better odds than one against three. :smallsmile:

Newcomer
2013-02-15, 04:06 PM
Hey, Newcomer? If things get too hairy for Elestil, don't be afraid to flee back to us. Five against three are much better odds than one against three. :smallsmile:

Agreed. :smallsmile: I was still trying to hold on to the hope of sneaking away unnoticed, although the diversion makes them more mindful than I'd like..

Strategy question: am I better off fleeing back with this turn, or taking the turn to use the wand of Expeditious Retreat?

ScrambledBrains
2013-02-15, 04:41 PM
Agreed. :smallsmile: I was still trying to hold on to the hope of sneaking away unnoticed, although the diversion makes them more mindful than I'd like..

Strategy question: am I better off fleeing back with this turn, or taking the turn to use the wand of Expeditious Retreat?


Hmm...does casting from a wand have a verbal component?

Newcomer
2013-02-15, 04:57 PM
Hmm...does casting from a wand have a verbal component?

I believe so...


Activation
Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesnít provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 standard action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.) To activate a wand, a character must hold it in hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for nonhumanoid creatures) and point it in the general direction of the target or area. A wand may be used while grappling or while swallowed whole. link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wands.htm)


Spell Trigger
Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but itís even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who canít actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.) The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity. link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#spellTrigger)

EDIT:
Now, I'm just being silly, but to continue, the answer might be no... provided I can roll a nat 20 on a UMD check. :smallwink:


Activate Blindly
Some magic items are activated by special words, thoughts, or actions. You can activate such an item as if you were using the activation word, thought, or action, even when youíre not and even if you donít know it. You do have to perform some equivalent activity in order to make the check. That is, you must speak, wave the item around, or otherwise attempt to get it to activate. You get a special +2 bonus on your Use Magic Device check if youíve activated the item in question at least once before. If you fail by 9 or less, you canít activate the device. If you fail by 10 or more, you suffer a mishap. A mishap means that magical energy gets released but it doesnít do what you wanted it to do. The default mishaps are that the item affects the wrong target or that uncontrolled magical energy is released, dealing 2d6 points of damage to you. This mishap is in addition to the chance for a mishap that you normally run when you cast a spell from a scroll that you could not otherwise cast yourself. link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm)

So if we assume:

It's possible to activate a device that normal requires a verbal component without using a verbal component
Elestil has previously used the wand (and that buying it partially charged represented some history of use)
and then I roll a nat 20 with my +3 mod and the +2 familiarity bonus to hit the DC of 25

...then no, it doesn't yes, it still does require a verbal component because Use Magic Device is trained only. :smallamused:

Egneil
2013-02-15, 06:19 PM
@Newcomer: You don't need a UMD check to cast from the wand as the Expeditious Retreat spell is on the bard spell list.

ScrambledBrains
2013-02-15, 06:21 PM
I believe so...





EDIT:
Now, I'm just being silly, but to continue, the answer might be no... provided I can roll a nat 20 on a UMD check. :smallwink:



So if we assume:

It's possible to activate a device that normal requires a verbal component without using a verbal component
Elestil has previously used the wand (and that buying it partially charged represented some history of use)
and then I roll a nat 20 with my +3 mod and the +2 familiarity bonus to hit the DC of 25

...then no, it doesn't yes, it still does require a verbal component because Use Magic Device is trained only. :smallamused:


I...see. In that case, do what you think will work out best, and I will support it. :smallsmile:

Dr.Robotnik
2013-02-15, 07:47 PM
If you flee for one round or so, Grad can swift-action expand and give the gnomes a 'right proppa krumpin'

Newcomer
2013-02-15, 08:24 PM
@Newcomer: You don't need a UMD check to cast from the wand as the Expeditious Retreat spell is on the bard spell list.

I know I don't need a UMD check to use the wand normally, but I assumed it would require a UMD check to activate the wand without saying the command word. And it was a purely theoretical discussion at that point.. :smallbiggrin:

@Dr.Robotnik: Elestil isn't convinced that they are hostile.. he was hoping not to alert anyone to our presence, though. That said, getting cornered is worse, so fleeing it is!

EDIT: PLEEEEEASE USE MY BLUFF ROLL!!! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Prince Zahn
2013-02-16, 02:34 AM
Question to newcomer, stemmed purely from curiosity: why a Grig over, say, a hare or something?
Not a matter of believability or realism, or criticism, as this IS a fantasy, and we're all friends here, but thinking "oh, it's just a bunny-rabbit, let's reset the alarm" or "it's a hare, and I'm hungry, GIT 'IM!" Seem to me like a more preferred outcome than "what in the blazes was THAT?! keep on your toes, men!"

IMO you'd be better off running for it before you find out they have hunting hounds.

Newcomer
2013-02-16, 11:11 AM
Elestil's thinking is they noticed something magical afoot, what with the silence of the falling branch, and it bothered them enough to dig out a potion, presumably to see anything invisible. So a fey creature playing tricks on them seemed like it would explain the use of magic without implying any real purpose. A hare wouldn't explain why the branch didn't make any noise.

.... That's where I'm coming from, at least...

Ah, I realized I'm operating on information that was in a spoiler.. their attention was piqued not by an alarm spell, as Elestil initially suspected, but because they noticed a snowy branch fell from a tree without making any noise.

Prince Zahn
2013-02-16, 04:15 PM
I see, but what if it was a Maaaaaagic bunny?:smalltongue:

Newcomer
2013-02-16, 05:41 PM
.... I want a magic bunny familiar now!