PDA

View Full Version : [OoC] The Unexpecteds

Pages : [1] 2 3

Egneil
2012-10-02, 07:16 PM
Welcome to the wintery region of Trenchfork. :smallbiggrin: I've started you off at the caravan in town so you can either roleplay for a bit, or go right off on the adventure.

Also I'd like each of you to post a link to your character sheet, as well as reserve the color for your character. Both the colors Olive and Dark Orchid will be reserved for NPC interactions. Feel free to ask me questions, or talk amongst yourselves about your current strategies.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-02, 07:44 PM
Here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=449965) is my sheet. And I'm calling Cyan

Newcomer
2012-10-02, 09:36 PM
Elestil the goblin bardic sage (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=449946)

I'll take Dark Red

Prince Zahn
2012-10-02, 10:07 PM
Frandol The painter (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=450261) speaks highly of Navy.

Other character stuff on it's way.
YAY, we're all here! d(^-^)

Newcomer
2012-10-02, 10:08 PM
To Naveris and any other Elves he encounters, the name Elestil may be of note, as he has taken the name of a great Elven hero of legend. I suppose I should get going writing up the legend of Elestil about now...

EDIT: That was easier than I thought. I present to you, the legend of Elestil:
A summary of The Wisdom of Elestil, one of the greatest, most beloved Elven epics of all time

Elestil was born as a common Elf in a struggling Elven forest that was constantly beleaguered by invading giants in a bloody war. A wise, revered sage prophesied that he would bring peace, raise the Elves to glory, and outwit the old ages (in Elven, the expression used could mean both "old age" and "the ages").

As a lad, he showed exceptional talent with the bow, and when he was only about 40 years old (incredibly young for an Elf), he joined in a great battle against a powerful giant army. With both the bow and the blade, he felled many a giant, and then he dueled the giant king himself. He ran circles around the king, pricking him with perfectly placed arrows, until the king fell and the remaining giants fled. There were only a few minor skirmishes after that battle, and Elestil had brought peace as prophesied.

Elestil went on a great many adventures (catalogued in the epic), slaying a dragon, settling a long-running blood feud between Dwarven clans by convincing each side that the other side was actually good, besting every archer who ever challenged him, etc.

So it came to pass that Elestil entered the legendary Temple of the Ages, said to have been built by the gods themselves in the morning of the world. It was a well known temple, but no one could ever solve the riddle to get into the inner chamber, which was said to house immense treasure. Elestil spent an entire week pondering the riddle, not even saying a word, before finally coming up with the solution and entering the storied inner chamber. It was a beautiful room, glowing with celestial light, and filled with all manner of treasure. There were gems more exquisite than any seen on earth, magical weapons of untold power, beautiful works of art made from solid gold, a beautiful harp made entirely of mithral, with a tone that was to a normal instrument as the gods are to mortals. But as part of the riddle, Elestil knew he could only select one treasure to take from the chamber. He chose a fruit from the magical silvery tree that grew in the center of the chamber. He planted its seed in the heart of the forest, and the tree is said to have worked countless miracles, helping the Elves enjoy a long, prosperous golden age in their forest. Thus Elestil outwitted the ages, as ages upon ages of people had failed to solve the riddle, in the Temple of the Ages itself. He also rose the Elves to glory in a glorious golden age. It was believed that the prophecy had been fulfilled. A tree of that line is said to still exist, lying hidden until a worthy soul discovers it, but the Temple of the Ages is but a distant memory, or myth. None can say whether it still exists, or if it left the world entirely after Elestil solved its riddle.

At long last, Elestil, still young by Elven standards, at less than a century of age, fell in love with a beautiful Human woman. They lived together a long time, but they were troubled in their hearts, for both of them knew that she would die of old age while Elestil had centuries ahead of him. But Elestil was not to be stopped, and he put his great intellect to work on another riddle. After much work, he perfected an extraordinary spell which allowed him to transfer his life energy to his human bride, granting her long life at the expense of his own life. Thus they aged together and died peacefully together after a couple centuries of love, and in this way, Elestil fulfilled the prophecy in another way, outwitting old age itself in the name of love.

Egneil
2012-10-03, 12:21 AM
Nice legend. :smallbiggrin: Also feel free to add more fluff to your characters as we go, this is collaborative after all.

I came mostly to tell you how I'll be doing language translations. Basically if you see two words split by a slash, ( / ) then it means you couldn't properly translate the word. Instead you could only translate it in the sense of it's literal meaning and it's figurative meaning. This generally only occurs if you're the language you're translating isn't your native language, and even if it is it'll still occur if you're dealing with a different accent. Just a little fluff to liven up the game world, if you don't like it I can easily remove it.

Prince Zahn
2012-10-03, 12:34 AM
A little about Frandol that y'all may know:
-He claims to be an artist, but he paints like no other dwarf in history, his work appears much like an elven abstract piece, very colorful and erratic. Those who don't like elven works will probably not like his art.
-I envision his accent as a combination of a deep voiced, stereotypically-themed high-society British accent accompanying a Scottish dialect. (if you have trouble imagining that, I can try to record a sample impression of what I had in mind.)
-he hears what he wants to hear, if you find yourself arguing with him, you'll find he often does not grasp the full situation a hand, or he might be stubbornly unreasonable and/or flawed when displaying his points.
-no matter what others tell you, the violet streak on his beard is a sign of creative prestige. and it is not by any means a mark of shame, exile, or banishment :smallwink:
EDIT:oh, and aside from an art he is also gifted with crafting lifelike illusions, but that's not too important if I forgot:smalltongue:

Arcanist
2012-10-03, 12:56 AM
Dark Green for Issath (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=450213) :smallbiggrin:

Newcomer
2012-10-06, 09:58 AM
Just looking over the character sheets... is my bardic sage really the most martial character in the group? His combat roles are bardic music, illusions, and archery... with an emphasis on staying out of the fray. heh.

-no matter what others tell you, the violet streak on his beard is a sign of creative prestige. and it is not by any means a mark of shame, exile, or banishment

Should I do a bardic knowledge check on that one? :smalltongue:

But honestly, our characters will probably get along well, PZ. An illusionist who paints in an Elven style and a bard(ic sage) who's obsessed with Elven styles and specializes in illusions. :smallamused:

EDIT: Should any of us have met before this mission? Or we're just all meeting at the appointed place?

Egneil
2012-10-06, 11:46 AM
@Newcomer: Either one will work, I'll leave it up to each player. If you want to be unknown by the group, then try to add how you got the job in your backstory. A recommendation by a lesser noble would be best, but hearing it as tavern gossip would work.

If you want to have known each other beforehand, then here's some fluff about how you met:
Your last job was from the minister of a small township in Shatterfield, a duchy south of Trenchfork in central Kerjat. The minister had found an old mine near his town, but couldn't get any guards to investigate. He hired you to do so instead. The job was rather uneventful, but smooth. The mine contained a fair amount of iron and copper, as well as some cold iron deeper in. You noted however that there were signs of a remoraz close to the cold iron. You didn't come across any, but the signs were fresh and signified more than one traveled through. After the minister paid you, he told you about a baron further north who was having some trouble with a fortress.

Sorry if I should have told you this sooner, but it's still early enough that it's nothing to really worry about I think.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-06, 12:16 PM
It's good to have the forums back up. :smallbiggrin: Good to see everyone again. :smallsmile:

Newcomer
2012-10-06, 12:37 PM
I'm good with that background for knowing each other, but I'm fine either way.

It's good to have the forums back up. :smallbiggrin: Good to see everyone again. :smallsmile:

This. :smallbiggrin:

In other news, if anyone is inclined to read a small novel, my character description and backstory are fleshed out. :smallcool:

Prince Zahn
2012-10-06, 02:02 PM
I'm alright with the fluff, it could have come sooner,true. But what's important is we have something to work upon.

Totally.[1UP!]. I was getting all "3 days? Oh no, did something happen?:smalleek:"

Edit: cross the edit, wrong thread, how did THAT happen haha?

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-06, 02:14 PM
Alright, so we're going with the idea we all knew each other beforehand, then? :smallbiggrin:

Prince Zahn
2012-10-06, 05:41 PM
Should I do a bardic knowledge check on that one? :smalltongue:A good question!:Smallbiggrin: First of all even if you know, Frandol would never admit it. And if you knew one thing, you'd know the other too. Secondly, it kind of depends on how well are you versed in dwarven culture: the dwarven disowning ritual is an uncommon and obscure concept that is not, for the most part, done in the eyes of foreigners, this is a rite of scarring shame on a dwarf's person.

To put it simply: is it any wonder that dwarves are so proud of their family ties and heritage once you know they don't keep the ones they dislike?

But honestly, our characters will probably get along well, PZ. An illusionist who paints in an Elven style and a bard(ic sage) who's obsessed with Elven styles and specializes in illusions. :smallamused:*drops jaw and smacks self* how did I not notice that? I'm generally more observant than that >_<
I see no problem with that, when he finds inspiration that doesn't work on his canvas, Frandol paints much of his work on stones and tree bark, using cheaper paint for stronger contrasts. If Elestil ever stumbled upon frandol's tracks it may have tingled his curiosity to the point of wanting to meet the artist, and the unusualness of it could probably interest if not somewhat disappoint the goblin that it is not genuine elven work.

it should, however, be pointed out that Frandol cares little about the cultural and societal flourish of a race or country, same goes even for his own, the combination of this, as well as the exile, the need for a living, undwarven passion for free arts, and his unreasonable expectations of the world that lured him to join a wandering caravan that crossed his path...

Newcomer
2012-10-06, 06:37 PM
*drops jaw and smacks self* how did I not notice that? I'm generally more observant than that >_<

They're also both outcasts from their own races. While Elestil is not actually banished (the goblins are too disorganized for that), he was regularly picked on and insulted. They didn't get rid of him, but they were eager to force him into doing the grunt work. Whereas Frandol is an exile, Elestil was basically the water boy, and he willingly turned away from his kind.

First of all even if you know, Frandol would never admit it.

And Elestil will never reveal, use, or respond to his original goblin name.

I see no problem with that, when he finds inspiration that doesn't work on his canvas, Frandol paints much of his work on stones and tree bark, using cheaper paint for stronger contrasts. If Elestil ever stumbled upon frandol's tracks it may have tingled his curiosity to the point of wanting to meet the artist, and the unusualness of it could probably interest if not somewhat disappoint the goblin that it is not genuine elven work.

Elestil cares first and foremost for art and lore. It is that love which led him to his appreciation of the elves, for they seemed to have an entire culture dedicated to such things, especially compared to his goblin roots. But he'll appreciate the artistry of a dwarf as well.

They're decidedly different characters, but I'm enjoying the parallels.

Prince Zahn
2012-10-06, 08:49 PM
Awesome, anyway, it's not exactly "banishment" as it is "disownment", it's kind of a thing that in the dwarven land your rights and reputations mostly revolve around your family, legacy and the royal house*, but should one not any of these things...**

*to be clear, being part of a dwarven royal house does not by any means imply "in line to the throne", potential rulers of every house are judged by power and authority alongside loyalty to the house, more on this in Northriver flavor text(coming soon!)
**orphans, if not "marked", don't have as much trouble, as a royal house would freely take young orphans in, so long as they are not crazy...or criminals.
-------------------
That aside, is it settled that we're all in this together, or are we gonna go with a buddy system among ourselves?

EDIT: Yes I know that's a wierd question. But go on - humor me.

Newcomer
2012-10-06, 10:01 PM
That aside, is it settled that we're all in this together, or are we gonna go with a buddy system among ourselves?

EDIT: Yes I know that's a wierd question. But go on - humor me.

Wait.. what??

At first I thought you were asking about if we did the previous mission together. Arcanist is the only one not to respond to that yet (and judging from his character's RP, it might just work for him to not have been in that group).

So it currently sounds like at least most of us will be from the old mission. But I'm not sure if that's what you're asking. Are you asking if we're planning to play the group cohesively, or create intra-party tension? Elestil will give everyone a chance, at least, but if tension develops, then I guess we'll just see what happens. Alignment-wise, we read LN, NG, CG, CG, so that doesn't sound too terrible.

Oh, and, okay, disowned. Same feel, in my head at least, but I didn't mean to conflate the two.

EDIT: Egneil, I was just looking back at the recruitment thread. It looked like KillingAScarab at least was going to have a character in, and maybe a few others. You had that long conversation about animal companions and mounted combat. Did you hear anything from anyone else, or are we the 4? With the forums going out when they did, I could easily see someone managing to not get posted into the game threads yet.

Egneil
2012-10-06, 10:33 PM
EDIT: Egneil, I was just looking back at the recruitment thread. It looked like KillingAScarab at least was going to have a character in, and maybe a few others. You had that long conversation about animal companions and mounted combat. Did you hear anything from anyone else, or are we the 4? With the forums going out when they did, I could easily see someone managing to not get posted into the game threads yet.

Yeah he even sent in a good backstory, so I was all set to add him once he sent me his character sheet. Also Dr. Robotnik was ready to join as well. I'll PM them both to see if they'll join.

Prince Zahn
2012-10-06, 10:37 PM
Wait.. what??
Not what I had in mind, but you know what? It was a wierd whimsy question that sounded better when it popped into my head, so never mind.:smalltongue:

Onward! ^(^0^)>

Arcanist
2012-10-06, 11:36 PM
Just looking over the character sheets... is my bardic sage really the most martial character in the group? His combat roles are bardic music, illusions, and archery... with an emphasis on staying out of the fray. heh.

I can fight if push comes to shove :smalltongue:

Beard Envy

Yes, I have it... :smallfrown:

Newcomer
2012-10-06, 11:42 PM
Arcanist, can you use quotation marks around your character's speech, please? I know you're using colors, but the dark green doesn't stand out from the black too well. I found it a little difficult to read. :smallsmile:

I can fight if push comes to shove :smalltongue:

I do have a longsword I can use, I was just expecting melee to be a sometimes thing, not a regular thing.

Arcanist
2012-10-06, 11:53 PM
Arcanist, can you use quotation marks around your character's speech, please? I know you're using colors, but the dark green doesn't stand out from the black too well. I found it a little difficult to read. :smallsmile:

Ooo... Sure :smallsmile:

I do have a longsword I can use, I was just expecting melee to be a sometimes thing, not a regular thing.

I expect combat as well, however I just wanted to cover my basis :smalltongue:

@ScrambledBrains: The reason I asked for the map is because I wanted to use my Gloves of Object reading on them. I'm suspicious of this employer of ours... But I'm a naturally paranoid guy :smalltongue:

And I wanna known any additional facts about the Maps that could be presented... Might even ask to look at our employers sword if the map yields anything...

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-06, 11:57 PM
@ScrambledBrains: The reason I asked for the map is because I wanted to use my Gloves of Object reading on them. I'm suspicious of this employer of ours... But I'm a naturally paranoid guy :smalltongue:

And I wanna known any additional facts about the Maps that could be presented...

Ah, noted. Thurod isn't exactly...suspicious of her, but he'd keeping his guard up.

Newcomer
2012-10-07, 12:06 AM
Elestil's comment was clearly in good fun, and he expects Thurod to have a good laugh with it. I also just noticed that Thurod doesn't speak Halfling..? I imagine Egneil would probably let you switch that out for Orc, if you prefer, though of course he could've been raised speaking mainly Common.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-07, 12:12 AM
Elestil's comment was clearly in good fun, and he expects Thurod to have a good laugh with it. I also just noticed that Thurod doesn't speak Halfling..? I imagine Egneil would probably let you switch that out for Orc, if you prefer, though of course he could've been raised speaking mainly Common.

Thurod is going to have a great laugh. :smallbiggrin: And...could I trade Orc for Halfling, Egneil?

Egneil
2012-10-07, 12:25 AM
Thurod is going to have a great laugh. :smallbiggrin: And...could I trade Orc for Halfling, Egneil?

I don't see why not, the second language is generally cultural in nature so go ahead.

Dr.Robotnik
2012-10-07, 11:08 AM
sorry i'm late, my computer died for a while.
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=450187

Newcomer
2012-10-07, 12:26 PM
Welcome!! :smallbiggrin:

Regarding your backstory, it would seem that everyone is taking their character and their background seriously, even if the facts of those characters may have a comical bent to them. For instance, I have a goblin bard who's obsessed with elves, but he's a serious character who happens to fit that unlikely and rather ridiculous description. If that helps.

Dr.Robotnik
2012-10-07, 04:33 PM
so what exactly is going on and how am I being written in?

Also, I beleive that the discussions about "most martial character" are now moot.

Newcomer
2012-10-07, 06:33 PM
Also, I beleive that the discussions about "most martial character" are now moot.Yay!! I really didn't want to be primary melee...

Well, if you wish to be part of the group that was formed before we got here, then there's this:
If you want to have known each other beforehand, then here's some fluff about how you met:
Your last job was from the minister of a small township in Shatterfield, a duchy south of Trenchfork in central Kerjat. The minister had found an old mine near his town, but couldn't get any guards to investigate. He hired you to do so instead. The job was rather uneventful, but smooth. The mine contained a fair amount of iron and copper, as well as some cold iron deeper in. You noted however that there were signs of a remoraz close to the cold iron. You didn't come across any, but the signs were fresh and signified more than one traveled through. After the minister paid you, he told you about a baron further north who was having some trouble with a fortress.

We also had this setting-the-scene fluff:

Water glistens on the muddied road as your footfall disrupts it's surface. Spring has finally arrived to the land of Trenchfork, cutting through the deep snow of the terrible winter. A fortress along the northern plains had become the target of Frost Worms, despite surviving their rampage the fortress is in need of food, medicine, and building supplies. A caravan has been commissioned to bring the fort supplies before the normal passes open and it can be hit with a large attack.

Your band of adventurers have been selected to aid the caravan in which ever way you see fit.

The land of Trenchfork is moderate barony of the Kingdom Kerjat. Much of Trenchfork's land was granted to it after the Frozen Frost Siege, approximately 68 years ago. During the battle the barony was able to stop and repulse Shiv'tra'vas, the local Frost Wyrm that controls the plains and mountains north of Kerjat. Trenchfork is comprised of one city, five forts, and four towns with at least as many villages.

And the IC thread should get you the rest of the way there.

So what class(es) is your character? I see psychic warrior and wizard mentioned in your description, but it looks like you're just built psychic warrior 7.

Prince Zahn
2012-10-07, 06:43 PM
I'll try to be brief:
We entered the city of Trenchfork via travelling caravan to find Naveris waiting for us - he had word spread About a job he needs done, particularly delivering medicine, magical items, and other provisions to a fortress standing about a fortnight of marching north of where we are. We tried to leave a decent impression but more likely ended showing ourselves as an odd bunch... Well we -are- "The Unexpecteds":smalltongue:

As Naveris showed us into his tent and let us read his maps, he charts us a few potential paths: a direct path blocked by deep snow, a set of underground tunnels, a forest ridge, or a road(?) through the hills. Frandol invited the others to discuss which path would be best to cross through.

Naveris seems courteous, but some of us already have our doubts about him.

Feel free to add if I missed anything, fellas.

Newcomer
2012-10-07, 06:47 PM
Feel free to add if I missed anything, fellas.

Only that Naveris is female. :smalltongue:

Egneil
2012-10-07, 07:58 PM
The path through the hills is the underground path. The map was created by srcying the cave entrance and then scrying a path until you reach the other side. It's not the best path through the caves, but it's mapped path through the caves.

Also welcome to the game Dr. Robotnik, hope you enjoy it here. :smallbiggrin:

Newcomer
2012-10-07, 10:49 PM
OCC
I'm wondering if I should roll for sense motive on this chick... xDSpeaking of, did I sense anything when I rolled Sense Motive on Naveris? (It was when she was looking at her feet..)

Knowledge (local): [roll0]
Sense Motive: [roll1] - to determine if Naveris is hiding something when she is looking at her feet--unless you'd rather roll that secretly, let me knowRoll was an 11

Prince Zahn
2012-10-08, 05:48 AM
Only that Naveris is female. :smalltongue:Is he now? Why, yes She is...
wow, how does one miss that o_0?

Newcomer
2012-10-08, 08:50 AM
Is he now? Why, yes She is...
wow, how does one miss that o_0?

Elf. (http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/MattCouldHaveToldYouYearsAgo.png) :smallwink:

Egneil
2012-10-08, 10:18 AM
Speaking of, did I sense anything when I rolled Sense Motive on Naveris? (It was when she was looking at her feet..)

Roll was an 11

Right, sorry about that. You didn't detect anything being hidden, but you feel you didn't good enough read on her.

Prince Zahn
2012-10-08, 01:14 PM
Elf. (http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/MattCouldHaveToldYouYearsAgo.png) :smallwink:
Haha!:smallbiggrin: love Murphy's Law, love lurking it's discussion threads

Aye, tho. That's a DC30 spot check rah thar!

Ah...Elves and their subtlety, she saw right through my bluff, didn't she?
Anyway, which path should we take? I'd like the forest - better scenery, less dark(should someone have human or Hume-Like vision), timeless bandit fights and I can't stress this enough -less aberrations and oozes.

Thoughts?

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-08, 01:21 PM
I gotta be honest, I really do prefer the hills. It's the tougher, probably stronger fight-containing path, so from Thurod's point of view, it's the route they don't expect us to take, meaning we should. :smallbiggrin:

Newcomer
2012-10-08, 02:12 PM
I gotta be honest, I really do prefer the hills. It's the tougher, probably stronger fight-containing path, so from Thurod's point of view, it's the route they don't expect us to take, meaning we should. :smallbiggrin:

Well, we don't really know if "they" exist. Still, the hill route is the shorter route, as the forest would mean going around the hills (I don't remember how long she said it would take..). So while I'd prefer a forest, it's really a toss-up at this point.

Can I get any bardic knowledge on Shiv'tra'vas?

Bardic Knowledge: 120+13

Newcomer
2012-10-08, 02:14 PM
Oops. [roll0]

Egneil
2012-10-08, 02:42 PM
I feel as though I should post the map of the barony, after I extract it from my head first.:smallredface:

The hills were meant to be more along the north and west of the barony. The northeastern part of the barony is technically part of the mountain range that stretches diagonally from the northwest around and down to the southeast. (Think a crescent that evens out and continues at the western edge.) The barony is at a lower altitude, so the hills would be a natural ramp between the mountains and the barony. With the cliff range being where the height of the mountains drops off suddenly. As you get further south, the mountains move further west so the land becomes less hilly. (The increased distance between the high height of the mountains and the low height of the barony means better slopes, and shallower hills.)

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-08, 10:04 PM
So...what's up? :smallbiggrin: We have a decision yet on which way we're going, IC or OOC?

Newcomer
2012-10-08, 11:19 PM
After the blocked scrying factoid, I'm leaning under the hills, but I don't think we have a consensus yet.

Arcanist
2012-10-08, 11:43 PM
So...what's up? :smallbiggrin: We have a decision yet on which way we're going, IC or OOC?

At the moment I'm voting for the hills, however until we see the map I'm not entirely sure... :smallconfused:

I trust you mister DM! I just don't trust your NPC's! :smallbiggrin:

Prince Zahn
2012-10-09, 05:16 AM
I see through the tallying it that we're voting hills 3-2 forest, and that's only because Took Dr.robotnik's opening post as a preference to the forest,

Even If you changed your mind towards the hills, Voting says the majority votes for the hill tunnels with 60~80% of the votes...

Of course all hear as I type this is "Enter the dungeon, enter the dungeon, ENTER THE DUNGEON, MWA-HA-HA!" chanting repeatedly in my mind.

Arcanist
2012-10-09, 05:29 AM
I see through the tallying it that we're voting hills 3-2 forest, and that's only because Took Dr.robotnik's opening post as a preference to the forest,

Even If you changed your mind towards the hills, Voting says the majority votes for the hill tunnels with 60~80% of the votes...

Of course all hear as I type this is "Enter the dungeon, enter the dungeon, ENTER THE DUNGEON, MWA-HA-HA!" chanting repeatedly in my mind.

I'm a paranoid little roach :roach: so I can use detect hostile intent... Want to make sure we don't get murdered in our sleep... Curious if the DM will allow me to use this power on someone else so they can detect for us while the casters sleeps for the night to regain spells/powers :smalltongue:

... We don't have any mundanes in the party do we...

Prince Zahn
2012-10-09, 06:35 AM
... We don't have any mundanes in the party do we...
'Course not! The Unexpecteds are not to be taken for granted:smallbiggrin:
Kidding, but we'll see how things go.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-09, 10:59 AM
'Course not! The Unexpecteds are not to be taken for granted:smallbiggrin:
Kidding, but we'll see how things go.

:smallbiggrin: The Unexpecteds: When you can't afford a normal party, call on us.

Egneil
2012-10-09, 10:54 PM
I just love to give personalities to characters, even the bit ones. :smallbiggrin:

I'd like to point out that if you see a preface, then the following part is meant for that character. Just wanted to tell you how I'll be formatting splitting the party.

Also I want to know who here just wants to head off on the trip. I'm not all that experienced reading players, so I wanted to know if I should slow down or speed up this part.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-09, 11:17 PM
Thurod is kinda impatient, but he's still capable of waiting. He just wants to know that we have a plan made. :smallbiggrin:

Arcanist
2012-10-09, 11:18 PM
I just love to give personalities to characters, even the bit ones. :smallbiggrin:

I'd like to point out that if you see a preface, then the following part is meant for that character. Just wanted to tell you how I'll be formatting splitting the party.

Also I want to know who here just wants to head off on the trip. I'm not all that experienced reading players, so I wanted to know if I should slow down or speed up this part.

I'm willing to leave as soon as I finish my examination of those friken boxes! so suspicious :smallconfused:

:smalltongue:

Newcomer
2012-10-09, 11:19 PM
I'm fine with leaving soon. Do we have enough time to buy a few things? Whether that's OOC or IC is up to you, but I'd like to grab a cold weather outfit and winter blanket, which I should've thought about before.

EDIT: The pace seems fine to me so far, and I'm fine with a long discussion or jumping into action. So I guess my vote is whatever everyone else wants.

Prince Zahn
2012-10-10, 11:33 AM
I won't have any trouble with us moving forth, right now no more questions spring to mind.

Does one have to have appraise to do the math on predictable expending, like food? Because I'm unsure what the DC would be to add the numbers together and subtract our pay...

Speaking of which, was our pay mentioned in the job description or are we to negotiate on that?

Or perhaps a better question would be: who wants to ask Naveris about our pay? Prefference to "That Guy Who Took Diplomacy"...

Newcomer
2012-10-10, 12:39 PM
Diplomacy, you say? :-D

I don't think it's the first thing on Elestil's mind at the moment, especially as he's being contracted by an elf, but he can ask about it once the plans are settled.

Egneil, still curious:

I'm fine with leaving soon. Do we have enough time to buy a few things? Whether that's OOC or IC is up to you, but I'd like to grab a cold weather outfit and winter blanket, which I should've thought about before.
I don't mean to pester you, but as you posted IC after that post, I thought you might have missed/forgotten it.

Egneil
2012-10-10, 01:32 PM
Egneil, still curious:

I don't mean to pester you, but as you posted IC after that post, I thought you might have missed/forgotten it.

Sorry, I meant to get to that, but it skipped my mind. I'd prefer that you list what you bought in OoC, and reference it in IC. (However so long as your character sheet is updated and you performed the action in IC, I won't have a problem.) You currently can't buy anything know, but you'll have a chance to before you head out.

Newcomer
2012-10-10, 01:50 PM
Sounds good, I just didn't want to miss out if we skip ahead.

Arcanist
2012-10-10, 06:01 PM
When he called me a Mind bender I freaked out... I might have to kill him... or at least Diplomacy him into not telling anyone else at the camp...

Egneil, you can post the object reading information here if you like :smallsmile:

Egneil
2012-10-10, 06:34 PM
When he called me a Mind bender I freaked out... I might have to kill him... or at least Diplomacy him into not telling anyone else at the camp...

Egneil, you can post the object reading information here if you like :smallsmile:

Well I just finished writing it so I'll let you look it over first.

Arcanist
2012-10-10, 06:38 PM
Posting for rolls since I refuse to edit my post :smallsigh:
Autohypnosis: [roll0]
Knowledge (Psionics): [roll1]

I now regret using these gloves so much

@my autohypno roll: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
@my Know (Psi) roll: ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

Egneil
2012-10-10, 06:45 PM
I try to make my worlds natural. If psionics exists, then those in power will know about it. And if they know about it, then they'll try to protect themselves from it. Especially if it could compromise tactics.

Arcanist
2012-10-10, 06:51 PM
I try to make my worlds natural. If psionics exists, then those in power will know about it. And if they know about it, then they'll try to protect themselves from it. Especially if it could compromise tactics.

Tis alright I suppose... Hell, If it were me I would have booby trapped the box with a Wail of Banshee trap that repeats until the subject fails his save :smallbiggrin:

Sort of my fault for not taking proper precautions in the form of dispel Psionics :smalltongue:

Egneil
2012-10-10, 07:19 PM
That wouldn't work as well as you'd hope, because the problem was part of the psionic impression, which you needed for the object reading power. Detect psionics would have been better as you'd have known about the problem before hand. Which would have given you a +6 to your autohypnosis check. (+4 from a circumstance bonus and +2 from favored circumstances) However that would only protect you from the first point of damage. For anything more you would need a power like Schism or Mind Trap. Basically anything that affects your own mind to help protect it.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-11, 07:37 PM
So...anyone wanna help me with a little project to aid in my characterization of Thurod? :smallsmile:

Newcomer
2012-10-11, 09:22 PM
So...anyone wanna help me with a little project to aid in my characterization of Thurod? :smallsmile:

Well that's sufficiently vague... :smalltongue:

Maybe?

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-11, 09:49 PM
Well that's sufficiently vague... :smalltongue:

Maybe?

:smallbiggrin: Well, see, I find it's easier to sink into a character's mindset if I have a theme song for them. Something which encompasses their personality into lyrics and melody, that I can listen to. However, despite my extensive musical library, I couldn't find anything I thought fit Thurod. Suggestions?

Newcomer
2012-10-11, 09:59 PM
Ah. Well, unfortunately I won't be much help there. Almost any suggestions I come up with will be over a century old, and probably not in English. I do plenty of classical music, but I am woefully out-of-sync with the more popular genres. I like the theme music idea, though.

And I'll let you know if anything comes to mind. And in thinking about your character, I was just struck by his parallels to Buddy the Elf. ... Yeah, sorry about that one. :smallamused:

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-11, 10:09 PM
Ah. Well, unfortunately I won't be much help there. Almost any suggestions I come up with will be over a century old, and probably not in English. I do plenty of classical music, but I am woefully out-of-sync with the more popular genres. I like the theme music idea, though.

Classical is fine, if anything fits. :smallsmile:

And I'll let you know if anything comes to mind. And in thinking about your character, I was just struck by his parallels to Buddy the Elf. ... Yeah, sorry about that one. :smallamused:

:smallbiggrin: "Thurod the Half-Orc, what's your favorite color?"

Arcanist
2012-10-12, 12:37 AM
I wanna know who here would be willing to accept a temporary Mind Link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindlink.htm) with me because I want to privately relay information to whoever is our party leader :smallamused: I know I can direct it towards all of us, however I'd really rather just spend one PP to talk to the boss :smalltongue:

If we don't have a leader, I nominate ScrambledBrains as Captain of the Unexpecteds :smalltongue:

I will totally take a level in Thrallherd if I can have Gravious be my Thrall... :smallbiggrin: I like him as an NPC... still don't trust him though :smallamused:

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-12, 07:56 AM
I wanna know who here would be willing to accept a temporary Mind Link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindlink.htm) with me because I want to privately relay information to whoever is our party leader :smallamused: I know I can direct it towards all of us, however I'd really rather just spend one PP to talk to the boss :smalltongue:

If we don't have a leader, I nominate ScrambledBrains as Captain of the Unexpecteds :smalltongue:

:smallredface: I'm flattered, and I wouldn't mind, but let's see who else thinks I should.

Prince Zahn
2012-10-12, 10:09 AM
:smallredface: I'm flattered, and I wouldn't mind, but let's see who else thinks I should.I don't mind you being leader, I know Frandol shouldn't be, he's just not reponsible or reasonable, or obsevant enough I think.

Newcomer
2012-10-12, 10:30 AM
Thurod is a good choice for 'leader', as long as he doesn't try to be too controlling about it. :smalltongue: Elestil expects to have some say, but he's already fond of the overgrown halfling. Most of the group seems rather strong-minded, too, so leadership will likely mean getting everyone to agree on things.

Don't take that as meaning I expected him to be a controlling leader, not at all. I'm agreeing with the group, just making sure we don't change our characters too much because we picked a leader OoC. I think everyone's willing to follow the group consensus, as long as their arguments are heard and respected.

Prince Zahn
2012-10-12, 11:20 AM
I'm agreeing with the group, just making sure we don't change our characters too much because we picked a leader OoC. I think everyone's willing to follow the group consensus, as long as their arguments are heard and respected.I'll drink to that!
[Zahn used Energy Drink: Fatigue removed;-2 to concentration and patience checks]
Though don't let this or the small debate on our route fool you, if Frandol strongly disagrees with something, he may never be convinced otherwise, he'll use stubbornness and point-repeating, he'll probably hand out his "dwarven word"(if he debates with a man who's met dwarves before), he probably won't even take an opposing argument into account!
But once it's final he'll take the decision as-is, but he'll do so either smugly or reluctantly.

Arcanist: I forgot to mention, as for the "are we friends or not?" Thing earlier, though Frandol is not always a good friend, but he sees those he travels with as friends if they don't wrong him, he's not too keen on sharing before someone shares with him (if you call him out on that, he'll probably call it "taking turns sharing" or something, by the way. I'm saying this - for it may or may not have happened before.)

Arcanist
2012-10-12, 01:38 PM
I forgot to mention, as for the "are we friends or not?" Thing earlier, though Frandol is not always a good friend, but he sees those he travels with as friends if they don't wrong him, he's not too keen on sharing before someone shares with him (if you call him out on that, he'll probably call it "taking turns sharing" or something, by the way. I'm saying this - for it may or may not have happened before.)

Heh, Issath has "self-esteem" issues, meaning he wants everyone to be his friends and yet no matter how many he has he'll always want more :smalltongue:

You can be his friend, it's just that he'll be walking on egg shells the entire time... I based his character off a girl I knew in High school :smallamused:

So it's decided? Thurod is the leader? Good! Time for me to mindlink with him :smallbiggrin:

Prince Zahn
2012-10-12, 04:02 PM
Heh, Issath has "self-esteem" issues, meaning he wants everyone to be his friends and yet no matter how many he has he'll always want more :smalltongue:

You can be his friend, it's just that he'll be walking on egg shells the entire time...
Sure, perhaps we've met before, then. Given you give the impression that you're just meeting everyone, perhaps we've crossed paths at some point? Maybe something happened...
Frandol generally doesn't stick around to hear local gossip or a telltale's primer, Assuming he knows what a "Mind bender" was, he probably wouldn't understand it's distinction from magic-bearers, except for the fact that he cannot see it's aura(I'm guessing magic sensitive doesn't go that far?), if anything, Frandol might be more interested Issath's constant smiling at life over his powers. I'm arguing over two potential reasons ATM, so don't ask me why yet...

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-12, 05:41 PM
I don't mind you being leader, I know Frandol shouldn't be, he's just not reponsible or reasonable, or obsevant enough I think.

Thurod is a good choice for 'leader', as long as he doesn't try to be too controlling about it. :smalltongue: Elestil expects to have some say, but he's already fond of the overgrown halfling. Most of the group seems rather strong-minded, too, so leadership will likely mean getting everyone to agree on things.

Don't take that as meaning I expected him to be a controlling leader, not at all. I'm agreeing with the group, just making sure we don't change our characters too much because we picked a leader OoC. I think everyone's willing to follow the group consensus, as long as their arguments are heard and respected.

So it's decided? Thurod is the leader? Good! Time for me to mindlink with him :smallbiggrin:

:smallredface: Well...seeing as I've been elected, I will lead to the best of my ability. Don't worry about Thurod being controlling, he's more of democratic leader, though he does reserve the decision to make executive choices. ...Thanks though, guys. :smallbiggrin:

Arcanist
2012-10-12, 06:24 PM
Sure, perhaps we've met before, then. Given you give the impression that you're just meeting everyone, perhaps we've crossed paths at some point? Maybe something happened...
Frandol generally doesn't stick around to hear local gossip or a telltale's primer, Assuming he knows what a "Mind bender" was, he probably wouldn't understand it's distinction from magic-bearers, except for the fact that he cannot see it's aura(I'm guessing magic sensitive doesn't go that far?), if anything, Frandol might be more interested Issath's constant smiling at life over his powers. I'm arguing over two potential reasons ATM, so don't ask me why yet...

Meeting earlier? Sure :smallamused: Since Issath's leaving of the Ascended Masters in the Kun-Da-Le-Ni Mountains he could have met you before, however it is also possible that Issath met you in one of his past lives as a Human or perhaps an ancestor (Dwarves are infamous for their memories) :smalltongue:

Why does Issath smile all the time? Hmm... That is classified :smallwink: however I will tell you that he is often thinking about you (and by "you" I mean everyone"). Issath likes to see the good in all people and enjoys making all people happy... I'd like to see how he'd handle betrayal and how he would interact with an Evil aligned party member (or enemy). :smallamused:

Dr.Robotnik
2012-10-12, 06:44 PM
This is probably a stupid idea, but would some combination of 'accidentally' dropping the box on a rock that I had previously manifested dissolving weaponon work to let us see what's in the boxes? The olny flaw I can think of is that they now know that we know if it works. And disguising the acid might be a problem.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-12, 08:47 PM
This is probably a stupid idea, but would some combination of 'accidentally' dropping the box on a rock that I had previously manifested dissolving weaponon work to let us see what's in the boxes? The olny flaw I can think of is that they now know that we know if it works. And disguising the acid might be a problem.

No such thing as stupid ideas. Remember, Edison didn't fail 1000 times, he just discovered 1000 ways to not make lightbulbs. Any idea is worth a try. :smallbiggrin:

Arcanist
2012-10-12, 08:55 PM

Actually, seeing as how we didn't make a Will Save, I'm quite sure they're not reading our minds. At the moment, that would be a fairly good idea... Just don't do it in an obvious way... If you can manifest a power that would allow you to break open the box undetected :smallamused:

EDIT: is it okay to say stuff like that out of game?

Newcomer
2012-10-12, 10:09 PM
So far I've been good and non-meta and avoided reading the spoilers not for me, but this discussion is really intriguing/confusing to watch. As of the moment, Elestil has no idea there's anything strange about these boxes except for the lead, and he's not particularly suspicious. I'll be very interested when the group learns of whatever's going on. :smallamused:

Newcomer
2012-10-13, 09:22 AM
Oh, the similarities between Frandol and Elestil.

Will: [roll0]

Pleeeeeease recognize it!

Egneil
2012-10-13, 11:31 AM
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've been slightly distracted. But mostly you haven't been talking to the NPCs so there's not much for me to post. Not that I dislike your antics, I find them very amusing. I'm just unsure about what I, as a DM, am supposed to do.:smallconfused:

Ah well, might as well post their responses. :smalltongue:

Prince Zahn
2012-10-13, 11:36 AM
Isn't it generally an optional thing for a PC to roll a will save targeted to him by an ally PC? For example if I were to cast charm person on, say,Grad(not saying I will), would he not get to choose if it affected him or not as he deems fit?
By that logic, if you have a reason to see through the trick, it's likely you did...

@Arcanist:Sounds cool, but how long ago was that? Frandol isn't even a century old yet so I don't know how effective past lives would be.

EDIT:Did I just make Frandol call himself a "sticky short dwarf"? Okay... Haha...:smallredface::smallconfused:

Newcomer
2012-10-13, 12:25 PM
Isn't it generally an optional thing for a PC to roll a will save targeted to him by an ally PC? For example if I were to cast charm person on, say,Grad(not saying I will), would he not get to choose if it affected him or not as he deems fit?
By that logic, if you have a reason to see through the trick, it's likely you did...

Is it? I assumed it wasn't optional, unless you told us it was an illusion. But I could be wrong. And maybe I just get a bonus to the save because I know you use that trick. DM??

I'd like to think Elestil would catch on.. Maybe Spot/Listen and Spellcraft to identify you casting the spell?

Not so much because I think I should, but so I don't need to re-post if I decide I should...
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Spellcraft: [roll2]

Egneil
2012-10-13, 12:28 PM
Missed where I wanted the post, oh well.:smallsigh:

I'll just assume Frandol continued his plan anyway. What with his inattentiveness and all.

Prince Zahn
2012-10-13, 01:23 PM
I'll just assume Frandol continued his plan anyway. What with his inattentiveness and all.Frandol didn't hear a thing, nor does he suspect much, and the humming? tinnitus maybe? Working in many different places probably would accustom him to a disturbing high pitch... so how would he tell if it wasn't directed towards him? [/Rhetorical]

My personal tome of petty issues would assume tinnitus as a DC 15 fortitude save every minute in high-pressure areas, the result would be -1 to concentration that stack with each failure, a single success negates, but fail 4 times and you'll get a nosebleed...:smalltongue:

Newcomer
2012-10-13, 05:55 PM
Egneil, fellow players who may have an idea: how common are psionics in this world? Will the adventurers have come across psionics frequently, occasionally, or maybe once or twice? I don't know how to react to the mind stuff--whether it's something familiar, something unusual but not surprising, or something very strange. Since we're already 7th level, I'm assuming everyone will have come across psionics by now if it's relatively common.

Egneil
2012-10-13, 07:59 PM
Egneil, fellow players who may have an idea: how common are psionics in this world? Will the adventurers have come across psionics frequently, occasionally, or maybe once or twice? I don't know how to react to the mind stuff--whether it's something familiar, something unusual but not surprising, or something very strange. Since we're already 7th level, I'm assuming everyone will have come across psionics by now if it's relatively common.

To answer you're question, I'll say that it's mostly uncommon and dependent on the region you're in. For Elestil specifically, he's dealt with psionics occasionally. If you'd like I could PM you the specifics. Basically he knows enough about psionics that it's lost it's shock value, and he's somewhat accustomed to it. But it's been awhile since he's last had to deal with it. This is from the kingdom of Kerjat, and the surrounding area, having practically none. With everyone that has psionic talent in Kerjat being either a foreigner or a wild talent. While psionics in the surrounding area are generally mistaken as sorcerers. It's only further west that there are enough psionics for people to recognize them as something separate from spellcasters.

EDIT: I'd like to explain a bit about that Intimidate check. Basically I don't want to hinder roleplaying, but I felt like the NPCs should be able to use the social checks. (Intimidate and Diplomacy) So I'm toying with an idea. Instead of trying to change your attitude, these checks will be used to keep you from performing certain actions, (Like trying to lie to them) or end haggling (Making it so the deal if favoring them) if you fail to resist them. If you think that this is a bad idea, I'd like to know. I'm just trying it out so I might not keep it anyway.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-14, 02:30 PM
EDIT: I'd like to explain a bit about that Intimidate check. Basically I don't want to hinder roleplaying, but I felt like the NPCs should be able to use the social checks. (Intimidate and Diplomacy) So I'm toying with an idea. Instead of trying to change your attitude, these checks will be used to keep you from performing certain actions, (Like trying to lie to them) or end haggling (Making it so the deal if favoring them) if you fail to resist them. If you think that this is a bad idea, I'd like to know. I'm just trying it out so I might not keep it anyway.

Doesn't seem like a bad system to me. Just so I'm sure though, you said the Guard Captain failed his check? :smallsmile:

Newcomer
2012-10-14, 03:06 PM
That sounds okay by me, but it's spurring me to think, so I'll present what thoughts come to mind.

Rather than saying "you can't lie to him," maybe grant a morale penalty (of whatever size seems appropriate) against subsequent Bluff (or whatever else) checks? So you can still try to lie, but you're less likely to be successful. Not sure what else could apply to Diplomacy, but I don't see why an NPC shouldn't be able to convince you that you won't get any other concessions through a Diplomacy check (end haggling).

Again, those are just my thoughts; I'm not opposed to your procedure. They're suggestions to consider, as you try to find what works best for you.

Arcanist
2012-10-14, 05:19 PM
Thanks Zahn for wishing me good luck on the Anniversary things got... well I'd get in trouble on the forums for saying it to say the least :smallamused:

I'm torn... Should I ignore the Orc... or continue charging in guns blazing at a creature I've never seen before :smallconfused:

Bah... Just gonna chill for now :smallsigh:

Dr.Robotnik
2012-10-14, 11:12 PM
Arcanist, thurod is 0.5orc, and grad is a full orc. That last comment must seem pretty silly to everyone around us.

Arcanist
2012-10-15, 12:34 AM
Arcanist, thurod is 0.5orc, and grad is a full orc. That last comment must seem pretty silly to everyone around us.

"YOUR AN ORC!?" Exclaimed Issath at the sight of his first Orc!

He doesn't know what an Orc is since he's never seen one :smallamused:

I KNOW you guys are Orcs, however Issath who has never seen one doesn't know what an Orc looks like. For all he knows you guys are just really tall and burly Humans just like he doesn't know that we have a Goblin in the party. When you're born in the Kun-Da-Li-Ni, you don't meet any other race besides Human (and Elan), however you're raised to accept the differences of all creatures regardless :smallsmile:

EDIT: The only reason he knows that Frandol is a Dwarf is because he told him and Gravious is a Gnome, because, again. He told him. If you don't tell Issath your Race, he'll just assume you're a Human that looks different :smalltongue: (which he will love and tolerate the entire time).

Prince Zahn
2012-10-15, 10:59 AM
Say no more - You have my sympathies, Arcanist.
Also, in case it wud'n clear, Frandol was demonstrating his ventriloquism to Issath, while keeping up the charade.
I'm guessing we re-entered the tent at this point, Frandol introduced himself to the captain...

With my question unanswered I'll ask again: DM, is the pay documented in the job description or is that a matter we have yet to discuss?

Egneil
2012-10-15, 06:06 PM
That sounds okay by me, but it's spurring me to think, so I'll present what thoughts come to mind.

Rather than saying "you can't lie to him," maybe grant a morale penalty (of whatever size seems appropriate) against subsequent Bluff (or whatever else) checks? So you can still try to lie, but you're less likely to be successful. Not sure what else could apply to Diplomacy, but I don't see why an NPC shouldn't be able to convince you that you won't get any other concessions through a Diplomacy check (end haggling).

Again, those are just my thoughts; I'm not opposed to your procedure. They're suggestions to consider, as you try to find what works best for you.

Thanks for the suggestion.:smallbiggrin: And I can see your point, completely denying an option still hamstrings a character. As for what you can do with Diplomacy, I see it as something between Bluff, Intimidate and Suggestion. Basically you'd be able to ask people to do things for you, using the rules from the Bluff skill but only lasting as long as Intimidate. The tasks would have the same conditions as Suggestion, but seeing as it's not a compulsion effect they would be able to reconsider the action if the conditions change.

@Prince Zahn: The reward isn't listed and the minister from your last job didn't specify. However if asked, he would have told you that government commissions generally pay substantial sums to a caravan. Each Barony or Duchy have their own forms of payment.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-15, 09:52 PM
So...did the guard captain see through my bluff? :smallbiggrin:

Egneil
2012-10-15, 11:17 PM
So...did the guard captain see through my bluff? :smallbiggrin:

Hehe, yep. He's highly suspicious of you now, but hasn't had good enough results to do anything.

Also a bit of in world fluff: Payment in thirds is standard policy for nearly all hired mercenaries. It gives them some spending money to prepare for the job, and it gives some measure of security that the job gets done.

Newcomer
2012-10-15, 11:24 PM
Appraise: [roll0]

Egneil
2012-10-15, 11:30 PM
It seems that I forgot a bit for the appraise check. I'll go and edit it in now.

Prince Zahn
2012-10-15, 11:57 PM
Appraise:[roll0]
Please let me make it!!!
EDIT: AAAARRGH!:smallmad: so close yet so far!
won't anyone huddle with Frandol on discussing the price? Aid another could help us greatly!
Color me blunt, but Can I plead for a circumstance bonus on account for prior experience with haggling our wage?

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-16, 10:31 AM
If Egneil says yes, I'll roll Aid Another for ya, PZ, provided Frandol is honest with Thurod about whether or not the payment is reasonable. :smallsmile:

Prince Zahn
2012-10-16, 10:49 AM
If Egneil says yes, I'll roll Aid Another for ya, PZ, provided Frandol is honest with Thurod about whether or not the payment is reasonable. :smallsmile:

Thanks, SB, I was astonished, my +8 gets a flat 10, and soon after Issath's +4 rolls a natural 19... I figured I had relatively good odds.

But petty jealousy aside, At least one of us knows,but the greedy little dwarf in me Might just hope we could do better.

Newcomer
2012-10-16, 11:14 AM
Elestil wasn't likely to start haggling over wages with an elf unless he felt the offer was insulting. For the record, he can still be suspicious of an elf--he knows all too well that the individual doesn't always match the race. But so far elves have matched his expectations closely enough.

I'm going to delay moving forward until any haggling that might occur is completed.

Egneil
2012-10-16, 12:40 PM
@Prince Zahn: Sure, I'll allow an aid another check to help. Considering the circumstances, only one person can aid you and he'll have to roll a knowledge (Local) check. (DC: 10) If he misses, then that's it.

Arcanist
2012-10-16, 01:34 PM
Thanks, SB, I was astonished, my +8 gets a flat 10, and soon after Issath's +4 rolls a natural 19... I figured I had relatively good odds.

But petty jealousy aside, At least one of us knows,but the greedy little dwarf in me Might just hope we could do better.

Think nothing of it. I make unreasonable rolls all the time. Need to make a saving throw against a save-or-die? natural one! physical attack? natural one! Ranged touch attack? natural one! roll to figure out the sky is blue? NATURAL FRIKEN 20! :smallfurious:

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-16, 07:37 PM
@Prince Zahn: Sure, I'll allow an aid another check to help. Considering the circumstances, only one person can aid you and he'll have to roll a knowledge (Local) check. (DC: 10) If he misses, then that's it.

Uh...I don't have Knowledge(Local). :smallredface: Sorry, PZ.

Egneil
2012-10-16, 08:03 PM
Uh...I don't have Knowledge(Local). :smallredface: Sorry, PZ.

Knowledge skills can still be used untrained, provided that it's DC is only 10 or less. The reason it's a knowledge check in the first place is that there are many extenuating circumstances.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-16, 08:45 PM
Oh, good. In that case...

Knowledge(Local) [Aid Another] Check:[roll0]

Well, there you go PZ, one aid another to get you to 20. :smallbiggrin:

Egneil
2012-10-17, 06:17 PM
Just a quick question: Do people want to roleplay their shopping trip? Or do you want to just post what you want to buy and continue?

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-17, 06:25 PM
Just a quick question: Do people want to roleplay their shopping trip? Or do you want to just post what you want to buy and continue?

I could go either way, I'm just waiting for PZ to show up and roleplay the results of our successful combined checks. :smallsmile:

800 gold...hmmm...what to spend that on? Someone(Preferably Egneil) remind me, a Wizard or Sorcerer who has a wand, can use it without having to make a UMD check, or does he or she still have to?

Egneil
2012-10-17, 06:44 PM
I could go either way, I'm just waiting for PZ to show up and roleplay the results of our successful combined checks. :smallsmile:

800 gold...hmmm...what to spend that on? Someone(Preferably Egneil) remind me, a Wizard or Sorcerer who has a wand, can use it without having to make a UMD check, or does he or she still have to?

He doesn't need to, so long as they have that spell on their spell list they can cast the spell. The book also specified that they just need it on their spell list, so even if they don't know that spell personally, they can still use it.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-17, 06:49 PM
He doesn't need to, so long as they have that spell on their spell list they can cast the spell. The book also specified that they just need it on their spell list, so even if they don't know that spell personally, they can still use it.

:smallamused: I am gonna so take advantage of that and buy me some wands! :smallbiggrin:

Newcomer
2012-10-17, 08:55 PM

Definitely either way for me, or vary it from time to time. Not that I'm thinking of anything crazy right now, but will it be difficult to come by some of the more expensive items?

I'm ready to go shopping (and answer Issath's question), but I'm still delaying to see if our wages get renegotiated. I can move ahead and leave that unresolved, but it gets confusing when the dialogue from a few different times is posted simultaneously.

:smallamused: I am gonna so take advantage of that and buy me some wands! :smallbiggrin:

Yep, I love that rule! Elestil's already got a couple wands, and I'm considering adding to that stock...

Arcanist
2012-10-18, 07:17 AM

Unless we're going to meet a race during that shopping trip, I'm good :smallredface:

*Sees Wand rule* ... *Remembers he picked Psionics* ... *Flips table and storms off* :smallannoyed:

Prince Zahn
2012-10-18, 07:37 AM
Just a quick question: Do people want to roleplay their shopping trip? Or do you want to just post what you want to buy and continue?I don't think shopping is a necessary element, Frandol might buy some emergency provisions for his haversack, some parchments and other supplies to scribe spells into between inspirations, nothing important.
I suggest a spoiler tag at the beginning of a post once we get going would suffice.

Egneil
2012-10-18, 03:41 PM
Right, right I need to deal with what's available. I'm not sure how I want to deal with markets... On the one hand I could go the fluffy route and detail the imports/exports of the regions. Or I could just list whats currently in the market that you have access to. I'll list both and leave it to a vote. On second thought what materials that are imported/exported only has value if you plan on building stuff. I'll just post what items are currently available around town, based on their material. I'll be skipping the more mundane items from the PHB, just assume that you can find them in town. Magic scrolls, potions, and wands will be based on subschool, level, and item type. While other magic items (wonderous items, rods, staves, weapons and armor) will all be listed separately. I'll still make an import/export list in case you want to craft anything though. Also I'll list by each item it's price and how much stock they have left. Let me know if you have any questions.

Trenchfork(Kerjat) Market:
2 sets of unfitted Masterwork Full Plate- 1,600GP each (refitting is free)
1 set of masterwork Nunchaku- 600GP (2 weapons)
1 masterwork Rapier- 350GP
Scroll of Stormrage- 2,250GP, Arcane(3 spells at CL 5)
Rod of Extension- 12,000GP, Arcane(extend spell metamagic)
Scroll of Jump- 45GP, Arcane(1 spell at CL 1)
Scroll of Ghoul Touch- 275GP, Arcane(1 spell at CL 3)
Staff of Mist- 17,500GP, Arcane(Fog Cloud, Mind Fog, 2 charges)
3 sets of Healing Potions- 400GP each(4 potions per set. Cure light wounds at CL 3)
1 set of Compressed water- 225GP (4 flasks. Create water at CL 3)
--Cost Modifiers: Only applies to Scrolls, potions, and wands.--
(Minimum cost is 30GP times Caster level)
Potions base cost is reduced to 20GP. (Kerjat produces a surplus of the basic ingredients for potions)
Water spells cost 25GP less per spell level.
Death/Necromancy spells cost 25GP less per spell level.
Animation spells cost 35GP more per spell level.
Sonic spells cost 30GP more per spell level.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-18, 04:57 PM
Ok, Egneil...just as a 'For Instance', if I wanted a wand of magic missle, how much would that cost me? And would it cost me more to get one with metamagic on it? I've never bought wands before, so I have no experience. :smallbiggrin:

Newcomer
2012-10-18, 05:43 PM
Oooh, ooh, let me try!

Wand of magic missile, level one spell, caster level one but you can buy it in different caster levels (CL 3 has two missiles; CL 5 has three missiles). Default CL is the minimum required to cast the spell.

--Cost Modifiers: Only applies to Scrolls, potions, and wands.--
(Minimum cost is 30GP times Caster level)

I take that to mean 30gp is the minimum cost for any item with that spell (at CL 1). I think that will usually only affect scrolls, or partially charged wands.

Normally a wand should cost: caster level x spell level x 750 gp.
So a Wand of Magic Missile (CL 1) should still cost 750 gp unless I'm completely mistaken.

A wand has 50 charges. You can buy wands that are partially charged at fractional cost, at least when creating characters, but whether they're available at shops would be up to the DM.

Theoretically a wand of magic missile (CL 1) would cost 750gp / 50 = 15gp per charge, but the quoted section above says it would still cost a minimum 30gp.

EDIT: relevant information can be found here: SRD:Craft Wand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#craftWand), DMG p. 199 (creating PCs above 1st level, for the partially charged wands), and SRD:Wands (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wands.htm) (includes a list of common wands by price)

Arcanist
2012-10-18, 09:37 PM
I wanna create a mind link with the Diplomancer and read the minds of the guy we're diplomancy'ing... but I'm not sure if it would be considered "wasteful" of me to spend 4 more PP before we've even left the camp :smallannoyed:

Thoughts?

Newcomer
2012-10-18, 09:55 PM
I don't know if we'll gain that much by it, and if the mind link offends someone the way it did with the captain, it might put a damper on negotiations.

Egneil
2012-10-18, 10:13 PM
@Newcomer: The minimum price on magic items also effects potions. Namely potions dealing with water and death spells, which would otherwise become free due to their abundance.

@Scrambled Brains: There currently aren't any wands of magic missile available in town at the moment. And yes metamagiced wands would cost more than normal, as metamagic increases the spell level of the spell. (Completed magic items are rarely traded between cities. Instead the components needed to make them are traded.)

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-18, 10:20 PM
Well, considering you have 53 left, I think 4 more might not be too extreme. We need someone who can find data for us, and a Psion would undoubtably be great at that. :smallsmile:

However...Newcomer makes a good point, and we really can't afford to lose our welcome to the town.

@Egneil: The magic missle was just a hypothetical, I just was trying to figure out prices, is all. :smallbiggrin: So, Newcomer had it right?

Newcomer
2012-10-20, 08:20 AM
Issath turns around, stares at Naveris and whips out a sign that says "No girls allowed".
Really? Really?

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-20, 12:15 PM
Really? Really?

Yes, apparently. :smallcool:

Also, as the group diplomancer...we were kinda hoping you'd haggle for our higher wages. I said as much IC in my last post there. :smallsmile:

Arcanist
2012-10-20, 11:10 PM
Really? Really?

I HAVE DONE STRANGER THINGS FOR THE SAKE OF COMEDY! :smallbiggrin:

For all intensive purposes you can completely ignore anything Issath does for the sheer sake of Comedy :smalltongue:

Newcomer
2012-10-21, 12:25 AM
Also, as the group diplomancer...we were kinda hoping you'd haggle for our higher wages. I said as much IC in my last post there. :smallsmile:

I apologize. I either misread your post, or maybe I caught it right before an early edit. I could've sworn you'd said you were going to do the asking.

How's a Diplomacy 26? :smallcool:

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-21, 01:01 AM
I apologize. I either misread your post, or maybe I caught it right before an early edit. I could've sworn you'd said you were going to do the asking.

Early edit, and no big, I've done the same thing before. :smallsmile:

I hope it works. :smallcool:

Arcanist
2012-10-21, 04:55 AM

Unless the DM is using a Diplomacy fix (hasn't stated that, but eh) and assuming she isn't Hostile (HA~ I would totally put money on that) she would be totally Friendly :smallsmile:

Egneil
2012-10-21, 08:39 PM
Unless Elestil is going to push for more gold, then this is where you either go shopping, visit the guardhouse, or leave on your adventure. You can do all three if you wish but that's up to you. Also if you want to roleplay the shopping for a bit, I can craft some opportunities for you to do.

Newcomer
2012-10-21, 09:14 PM
Well, friends, are you dying to be off and get this party started, or do a few more social scenes fit in the agenda? I just want to role-play something, but I don't much care whether it's shopping or setting off. I would like to at least stop at the guardhouse before we leave, though, even if it's a one-post DM narration. I don't want to give up free information from the scouts.

Also, I accepted the offer before I saw this:
Unless Elestil is going to push for more gold,

But she accepted our offer, it would be kind of pushing it to say, "in that case, how about even more?" I think. Elestil thinks so, too. He enjoys gold, but he's more civil than greedy.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-21, 09:21 PM
:smallbiggrin: Newcomer, you are awesome! Way to haggle, seriously. :smallsmile:

Newcomer
2012-10-21, 09:47 PM
:smallbiggrin: Newcomer, you are awesome! Way to haggle, seriously. :smallsmile:

:smallbiggrin: You know what I find hilarious? The other character I'm playing on the forums right now is an INT 6 ranger. He speaks in sentence fragments, and his most frequent utterance is "...uh..." Basically I have to make my characters sound like the absolute opposite of the other, and it leaves me terribly amused every single time. :smallsmile:

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-21, 09:53 PM
:smallbiggrin: You know what I find hilarious? The other character I'm playing on the forums right now is an INT 6 ranger. He speaks in sentence fragments, and his most frequent utterance is "...uh..." Basically I have to make my characters sound like the absolute opposite of the other, and it leaves me terribly amused every single time. :smallsmile:

Noted. :smallamused:

Also, I'm up for the RPing of the shopping trip.

Arcanist
2012-10-22, 06:16 PM
In case anyone is curious, those boxes are tainted with a poison that hurt Psionic creatures by dealing 1 ability damage to their manifesting score :smallfrown:

Newcomer
2012-10-22, 06:22 PM
Ouch! :smalleek:

Elestil is a little suspicious about Issath, but not suspicious of betrayal. He's just trying to figure out if there's more to him than meets the eye. He's a bit of a puzzle, and Elestil wants to avoid pressing the wrong buttons by finding them first.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-22, 10:52 PM
In case anyone is curious, those boxes are tainted with a poison that hurt Psionic creatures by dealing 1 ability damage to their manifesting score :smallfrown:

Crap...that sucks dude. :smallfrown: How long does it last?

Arcanist
2012-10-23, 01:02 AM
Ouch! :smalleek:

Elestil is a little suspicious about Issath, but not suspicious of betrayal. He's just trying to figure out if there's more to him than meets the eye. He's a bit of a puzzle, and Elestil wants to avoid pressing the wrong buttons by finding them first.

Meh, we take what the deck gives us, besides I couldn't have known that... and I encourage all of you to be suspicious of Issath, that's how I want you guys to feel about him... He's a member of a secret society dedicated to... Well that is a personal secret that I'll reveal when the game calls for it... I'll explain it if we ever get captured by Mindbenders :smallamused:

Crap...that sucks dude. :smallfrown: How long does it last?

Permanent unfortunately... Regardless, I'll endure through the hardship. Besides, it's my fault for relying on those gloves to magically solve all of my problems in solving the mysteries of this game :smalltongue:

Egneil
2012-10-23, 01:16 AM
Permanent unfortunately... Regardless, I'll endure through the hardship. Besides, it's my fault for relying on those gloves to magically solve all of my problems in solving the mysteries of this game :smalltongue:

Actually, it's only normal ability damage, so it should clear up after a day. I'm mostly curious about why you thought it was permanent.:smallconfused:

Arcanist
2012-10-23, 01:38 AM
Actually, it's only normal ability damage, so it should clear up after a day. I'm mostly curious about why you thought it was permanent.:smallconfused:

Good, point. For a moment, I thought you said permanent in that message, but you didn't. Fault on my part :smalltongue:

Arcanist
2012-10-23, 02:54 PM
Zahn, Issath is a tea-toddler. He'd get drunk if you gave him apple juice and told him it was wine :smalltongue:

On that note: I'm not a drinker in real life so yeah :smalltongue:

Prince Zahn
2012-10-23, 03:11 PM
Zahn, Issath is a tea-toddler. He'd get drunk if you gave him apple juice and told him it was wine :smalltongue:

On that note: I'm not a drinker in real life so yeah :smalltongue: my experiences with dwarves signal me this: all I learnt from your sentence is that ye need ta get more alcohol in ya, lad! :durkon: An' keep those Fort'tude saves and constitushun checks a'rollin'!:smallbiggrin:

Frandol didn't smell anything, by the way, today he only has about 15~20% of his sense of smell one. he that much one cold mountain evening, after a hard day at work on his canvas, he decided to relax, his finished work was a few feet away from the fire when the colors upon it faded and the canvas spontaneously exploded into fumes, next this Frandol knew he was surrounded by a chilling haze of poorly mixed alchemical paint fumes that inflamed his nostrils.
A holy Knight of the Yellow Rose Emblem heard the explosion and rushed to his aid, using his magnificent lay on hands to keep him alive before he could rush him to safety.

Long story short Frandol survived, and is fine now, but some things cannot be mended without the higher restorative magics, and he has come to terms with living with no smell or taste, but after a few years his smelling became "highly vague, but slightly existent." And finding out that it somehow healing was amazing news to him.

Smelling is vague, he can't smell somethig if it's not a powerful aroma or stench, as for taste, he can tell between different sensations(sweet,bitter, salty,sour, spicy or the like), but not much more than that if nothing is dominant.

Egneil
2012-10-23, 03:47 PM
Here's a small knowledge check about how the streets are laid out. The reason I'm posting it here is because your character would have made the check when he first looked a map of the streets.

Knowledge (Arcana:Illusion) DC: 18
The streets are laid out in an arcane pattern highly linked to illusion magic. The symbol resembles a giant spoked wheel, with the points where the outer and inner circles connect to be exactly eighty-eight degrees apart. There are only four 'spokes' within the symbol, each one bent clockwise near the outer edge. At about half way to the center, the lines bend counter-clockwise instead. The symbol is used to represent the falsehood of the mind, and to confuse those who have dangerous ambitions.

EDIT: Linen rope costs 7GP, and weighs 7lbs per 50 foot length. It also provides a +1 circumstance bonus to the use rope skill. (This bonus doesn't stack with the bonus of silk rope. You only get to use one rope or the other, not both.) And anything made of silk costs three times its base price.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-23, 03:55 PM
@Egneil: Does that mean we shouldn't roll the check now? Or can we still?

Egneil
2012-10-23, 04:01 PM
@Egneil: Does that mean we shouldn't roll the check now? Or can we still?

You still can, it's more of a retroactive check.

Newcomer
2012-10-23, 04:34 PM
Knowledge (arcana): [roll0] Any bonus for Spell Focus (Illusion)?

Never mind! :smallbiggrin:

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-23, 04:54 PM
Knowledge(arcana): [roll0]

:smallannoyed: Son of a...

Prince Zahn
2012-10-23, 05:13 PM
Knowledge(arcana:Illusion)? That's a new one to me, but Sure, whatever works...
Although given Frandol's expertise in the field of illusions, I think a spellcraft check is more fitting, would you mind if I rolled that too?
If you do mind it doesn't have to count, but I'll leave it here:
Knowledge(Arcana):[roll0]
Spellcraft:[roll1]
EDIT: looks like knowledge AND spellcraft are right on the money, given the convenience, would I yield any additional information via the spellcraft check? If so, is it PM worthy?

Egneil
2012-10-23, 06:10 PM
Knowledge(arcana:Illusion)? That's a new one to me, but Sure, whatever works...
Although given Frandol's expertise in the field of illusions, I think a spellcraft check is more fitting, would you mind if I rolled that too?
If you do mind it doesn't have to count, but I'll leave it here:
Knowledge(Arcana):[roll0]
Spellcraft:[roll1]
EDIT: looks like knowledge AND spellcraft are right on the money, given the convenience, would I yield any additional information via the spellcraft check? If so, is it PM worthy?

Whenever I but anything behind a colon in a check, that means it has more specialized knowledge. Any specialization about that subject will grant a bonus to the check. Spell focus grants a +1 bonus to the knowledge check, with specialization in that field(Illusionist for example) grants a +3 bonus. These bonuses also apply for the psionic variants.(Psionic Endowment, and Discipline.)

Newcomer
2012-10-23, 06:15 PM
Whenever I but anything behind a colon in a check, that means it has more specialized knowledge. Any specialization about that subject will grant a bonus to the check. Spell focus grants a +1 bonus to the knowledge check, with specialization in that field(Illusionist for example) grants a +3 bonus. These bonuses also apply for the psionic variants.(Psionic Endowment, and Discipline.)

I was kind of hoping that's what you were implying. I like it. :smallsmile:

Arcanist
2012-10-23, 06:51 PM
HNNNG! I'm curious if starting a bar fight while drunk would be a Chaotic action~

Newcomer
2012-10-24, 02:08 PM
Egneil, you mentioned the legally sold scrolls. Are there any restrictions on magic use/sale/possession that our characters would know about?

Rolls if needed
Knowledge (local): [roll0]
Knowledge (arcana): [roll1]

Egneil
2012-10-24, 05:27 PM
@Newcomer: The legality of buying and selling scrolls vary from town to town. Usually based on how magic is treated there, and which deity is more widely worshiped. In Kerjat magic can be owned by anyone, but you can't sell any level 4 spell without a permit. And every scroll must be bound with the city, either by string or being in a case. The only exception to that are cantrips, which are deemed too weak to cause any major damage and thus can be left unbound.

Also psionic items don't apply in regards to those laws. This is mostly because very few people even know that psions exist.

Newcomer
2012-10-26, 02:40 PM
Why are there potions of Endure Elements at CL 3 and 5? The only difference caster level will make for that potion is the DC of the save, which would only come into effect if you were forcing it down the throat of someone who wishes to freeze/overheat to death... Per the Brew Potion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#brewPotion) feat, the potion brewer decides the CL, which is anywhere from the minimum needed for the spell to the brewer's CL, but they pay a higher XP cost for a higher CL. So I can't imagine why anyone would choose to make the potion higher than CL 1 unless there are incredibly unusual circumstances. Or they think people will pay more, falsely believing the protection to be stronger.

If you have reason, fine, but if it was randomly generated, I'm pointing out the logic of this instance, hoping you'll kindly lower the CL. :smallsmile: Your call, but please respond here, as I'm delaying a possible conversation about the high-priced ones IC.

Egneil
2012-10-26, 04:22 PM
Why are there potions of Endure Elements at CL 3 and 5? The only difference caster level will make for that potion is the DC of the save, which would only come into effect if you were forcing it down the throat of someone who wishes to freeze/overheat to death... Per the Brew Potion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#brewPotion) feat, the potion brewer decides the CL, which is anywhere from the minimum needed for the spell to the brewer's CL, but they pay a higher XP cost for a higher CL. So I can't imagine why anyone would choose to make the potion higher than CL 1 unless there are incredibly unusual circumstances. Or they think people will pay more, falsely believing the protection to be stronger.

If you have reason, fine, but if it was randomly generated, I'm pointing out the logic of this instance, hoping you'll kindly lower the CL. :smallsmile: Your call, but please respond here, as I'm delaying a possible conversation about the high-priced ones IC.

Oh, I actually thought that they had their duration scale with level, I didn't realize that they were static. I'll leave them where they are though, because having a higher CL helps to keep it from being dispelled.

Newcomer
2012-10-26, 04:24 PM
Oh, I actually thought that they had their duration scale with level, I didn't realize that they were static. I'll leave them where they are though, because having a higher CL helps to keep it from being dispelled.

Ah, dispelling, didn't think of that.

Prince Zahn
2012-10-26, 05:27 PM
because having a higher CL helps to keep it from being dispelled.I was gonna let it be after this, but it just enlarged the craving to inquire on this:
Are dispelling effects a general consumer concern? If not, is it a professional concern from the perspective of adventurers who often find dispelling a crippling money-eater? Does it have a more pleasant flavor which makes it more appealing? You see where I'm heading with this so can somebody stop me?

Newcomer
2012-10-26, 05:39 PM
As I'm out and about, using my phone to post, I will update my character sheet for purchases and expenses later this evening.

EDIT: Updated for the potions.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-26, 05:42 PM
I ordinarily try to be gullible with Thurod, since he's low Wisdom, but that somehow tripped his radar. :smallbiggrin:

Newcomer
2012-10-26, 07:53 PM
Egneil, looking ahead, would Elestil be able to take the Ruathar prestige class from Races of the Wild? I just re-discovered it, and it's an elf-friend class, which is definitely what he's going for. His backstory may provide enough to justify entry, but either way, he'll need to find an elven community to be inducted. Unless you decide to rule that he already is inducted, though he hasn't taken levels yet. Just a thought.

Arcanist
2012-10-27, 12:17 AM
OH DON'T WORRY! I'LL BE OVER HERE EXPLAINING MY AWESOME BACKSTORY AND REASON FOR DOING STUFF! :smallamused:

Egneil
2012-10-27, 01:13 PM
@Price Zahn: Dispelling isn't a major concern for most people, but the bandits of the more extreme regions would attempt to weaken a caravan using the weather. Anyone wearing metal armors would need to rely on other ways to deal with the elements. (Anyone in metal armors is treated to be in temperatures 10 degrees worse than normal while in extreme weather.)

@Newcomer: I don't have the Races of the Wild book, so if you can post a link to it I'll look it over.

Prince Zahn
2012-10-27, 02:20 PM
Fair enough, Frandol wouldn't use such a potion since he can cast it himself (dwarves also dislike the strong, tasteless bitter flavor found in most abjuration potions anyway... in real life it would be like taking preventative medicine, it's unpleasant and hard to swallow, but you'll take it if you think you need it.)

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-28, 11:12 AM
So...just so everyone knows, I live on the East Coast...if I don't reply for a while(A day or more.), that's why. :smalleek: :smallbiggrin:

Arcanist
2012-10-28, 10:51 PM
So...just so everyone knows, I live on the East Coast...if I don't reply for a while(A day or more.), that's why. :smalleek: :smallbiggrin:

Most of my best friends live on the East Coast, kind of nervous and although I'm not very religious, I'm actually praying for them :smalleek:

Good luck :smallbiggrin:

Prince Zahn
2012-10-29, 02:05 PM
Afterwards I plan to reexamine that map, along with the tent, If I'm already activated my "MagiCam".

I took off 6 cp for Frandol's portion, if it's too much Frandol would have asked for change, but 1CP too many is within the tipping zone.
*tries to resist spouting worthless fluffity-fluffer fluffs*
*[RESISTANCE FAILED!]*
There are no tipping courtesies in Big dwarven societies, overpaying is simply another way of flaunting one's money and status, also, if you don't ask for change when purchasing in Northriver, you will occasionally not receive it, as it is legal to assume you overpay if you don't mention otherwise. Northriver's not all polished on a silver plate, it has it's toughness.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-29, 02:05 PM
Most of my best friends live on the East Coast, kind of nervous and although I'm not very religious, I'm actually praying for them :smalleek:

Good luck :smallbiggrin:

Thanks, Arcanist. :smallsmile: I'm not too worried, but, better safe than sorry.

@Egneil: Any magic item shops in town(equippable items, I mean.)

Arcanist
2012-10-29, 05:28 PM
Thanks, Arcanist. :smallsmile: I'm not too worried, but, better safe than sorry.

I'd rather be sorry than safe, because if I'm sorry that means I caused the damage... hopefully it wasn't anything important to me...

More important note: Issath is blitzed so just go with the idea that he is so drunk that he can't really do anything right now... :smalltongue:

Egneil
2012-10-29, 08:22 PM
Sorry about the lack of updates, :smallredface: I've been running out of time to finish when I was getting on. Turns out writing comes slow for me.

Anyway onto the questions.
@Scrambled Brains: There's not much in the way of magical equipment because they're rather costly. The people that can make them don't start until they're assured that the item will be bought when it's finished. Despite the presence of adventurers it's incredibly difficult to unload magic items.(They're too costly for normal people, and governments can usually wait for a custom order.)

As for merchants trying to sell older equipment... Make an Appraise or Knowledge(Arcana) check.

@Prince Zahn: Not all potions taste bad, in fact many of them can taste like wine or fruit juice. It all depends on the skill of the brewer and to a lesser extent the quality of the materials. The more skillful the brewer(read:higher level) the more they can change the taste. In fact Artifact potions have been known to taste exactly like water or beef stew, much to the surprise of assassinated royalty. However most don't change the taste unless it's necessary or by request, because it's more costly and requires more skill.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-30, 11:51 AM
Fine by me. Knowledge(Arcana) Check!...

Knowledge(Arcana): [roll0]

A nat 20?! :smallbiggrin: Sweet!

Newcomer
2012-10-30, 12:19 PM
Good to see you're online today, ScrambledBrains. :smallsmile:

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-30, 12:40 PM
Good to see you're online today, ScrambledBrains. :smallsmile:

:smallsmile: Thanks, Newcomer. Was kinda bad last, lost power for two hours, but otherwise no trouble.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-31, 06:44 PM
Bump? :smallconfused:

Egneil
2012-10-31, 09:08 PM
Sorry about the slow reply, I'm working on various things in RL. That and I was waiting for Dr.Robotnik and/or Prince Zahn to post.

Anyway here's what Thurod was able to find, I'll update the IC thread shortly:
Cloak of Escape: 2,100 GP(Grants a +4 bonus to your escape artist check, with an additional +3 bonus if it's removed and dropped during the check)
+1 quarterstaff(Glowing): 1,800 GP(A normal +1 quarterstaff whose enchantment glows. Only one side is enchanted)
Ring of Divine Illusion: 500 GP(Grants a +3 bonus on Use Magic Device checks when using a divine item)
Shield of Arcana: 1,700 GP(A small buckler enchanted to stay out of the way when a spell is cast. Grants a 5% reduction to arcane spell failure)
Pearl of Power: 1,000 GP(Recalls a first level spell)
Knowstone (Shield): 1,000 GP(Gives knowledge of the shield spell, allowing a spontaneous caster to cast the spell)
Load Anchor: 1,300 GP(A suppressed Loadstone that can be unsuppressed for up to 4 hours a day)
Boots of Minor Jumping: 900 GP(+3 bonus on all jump checks)
Because of the Nat 20 I'll give you a +4 circumstance bonus to haggle these prices, using either Appraise or Diplomacy.

ScrambledBrains
2012-10-31, 10:03 PM
Sorry about the slow reply, I'm working on various things in RL. That and I was waiting for Dr.Robotnik and/or Prince Zahn to post.

Anyway here's what Thurod was able to find, I'll update the IC thread shortly:
Cloak of Escape: 2,100 GP(Grants a +4 bonus to your escape artist check, with an additional +3 bonus if it's removed and dropped during the check)
+1 quarterstaff(Glowing): 1,800 GP(A normal +1 quarterstaff whose enchantment glows. Only one side is enchanted)
Ring of Divine Illusion: 500 GP(Grants a +3 bonus on Use Magic Device checks when using a divine item)
Shield of Arcana: 1,700 GP(A small buckler enchanted to stay out of the way when a spell is cast. Grants a 5% reduction to arcane spell failure)
Pearl of Power: 1,000 GP(Recalls a first level spell)
Knowstone (Shield): 1,000 GP(Gives knowledge of the shield spell, allowing a spontaneous caster to cast the spell)
Load Anchor: 1,300 GP(A suppressed Loadstone that can be unsuppressed for up to 4 hours a day)
Boots of Minor Jumping: 900 GP(+3 bonus on all jump checks)
Because of the Nat 20 I'll give you a +4 circumstance bonus to haggle these prices, using either Appraise or Diplomacy.

No stress, just got worried about ya. :smallsmile:

Damn...stuck between the Knowstone or the Pearl of Power...group thoughts?

Arcanist
2012-10-31, 10:39 PM
I can give you the money for the Knowstone unless the DM is going willing to let me use it for Issath :smalltongue:

Newcomer
2012-10-31, 11:28 PM
I have no input there.. Waaayyyy too knew to this to know how to value items I'm not specifically looking for.

And I just realized that I never posted a response about the market food, my mistake. :smalltongue:

Egneil
2012-11-01, 03:35 PM
No stress, just got worried about ya. :smallsmile:

Damn...stuck between the Knowstone or the Pearl of Power...group thoughts?

Well from what the rules said, it seems that the Pearl of Power can only be used by prepared spellcasters. Which is why I made the Knowstone, which only works for characters that have a set amount of spells known.

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-01, 04:07 PM
Well from what the rules said, it seems that the Pearl of Power can only be used by prepared spellcasters. Which is why I made the Knowstone, which only works for characters that have a set amount of spells known.

You're right on the Pearl, so I'll take the Knowstone. :smallbiggrin: Will post in IC soon.

Prince Zahn
2012-11-01, 04:43 PM
Sorry to leave everyone clueless, I've been swamped with work these last few days, but tomorrow I should find time to post again and catch up!
:smallwink:

Egneil
2012-11-01, 10:22 PM
I'm currently wondering what everyone thinks about the campaign so far. Is it going too fast? Or too slow? Would you like me to post more often?

Mostly I'm just curious about what you think of my DM'ing.

Dr.Robotnik
2012-11-01, 11:19 PM
Post rate semms to be fine, I'm just happy to be in a campaign that doesn't get 2 pages of posts and then die. Or have a DM that insisted on horses in dark sun.
Edit- screw you autocorrect. Posts to ice? Really?

Arcanist
2012-11-02, 03:50 AM
I'm currently wondering what everyone thinks about the campaign so far. Is it going too fast? Or too slow? Would you like me to post more often?

Dude, it's perfect :smalltongue: the post rate is just awesome (atleast once a day) and this is in all honesty the best pBp I've ever experienced... :smallredface:

Newcomer
2012-11-02, 10:44 AM
I'm very happy with the game! :smallsmile: You're doing great!

I expect we're almost ready to set out on the road, but I've enjoyed exploring the town quite a bit.

Prince Zahn
2012-11-02, 12:06 PM
You're concerns are in the right place, Egneil, but the are unnecessary :smallsmile:.
The post rate is well(now if only I kept up to it) I expected us to leave towards adventure sooner but things are happening regardless so that's no trouble:smallbiggrin:

I like your descriptions and attention directing, Everything is clear atm and the scene shiftings simple and efficient in a way that one could not simply do at a gaming table. no really, I've tried splitting the attention among many IRL, it's a nightmare...

I think what I like best about this adventure is the vibes in it, I mean, in my IRL group my friends play whatever the heck they feel like, make themselves personalities that don't go well together, and then change characters after one arc at 50% party per arc.
Yet when I'm playing this I feel we're playing it RIGHT, because despite having part of our party just meet each other, there's no barbarians punching innocent clerics in the gullet, pacifist sorcerers walking away from the group or tribal warriors eating decapitated Orc heads in front of an undertaker...
Know what I mean, fellas?

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-02, 12:37 PM

Egneil, as someone who's been in only one other campaign, with a good friend as DM, this may not mean much...

But I wouldn't change a thing. :smallbiggrin: I'm quite happy with pretty much everything here.

P.S. I know I haven't posted IC in a while. College is kicking my rear. :smallsigh:

Newcomer
2012-11-02, 01:57 PM

I'm still fairly new to D&D. That said...

I like your approach and your flexibility. You respond to our (shopping, at the moment) requests not with an automatic yes or no, but with a realistic set of alternatives based on the setting. And each interaction with a random NPC seems real, and offers the possibility of something more. I like the depth and detail you're working into the setting whenever we interact with it.

I think what I like best about this adventure is the vibes in it, I mean, in my IRL group my friends play whatever the heck they feel like, make themselves personalities that don't go well together, and then change characters after one arc at 50% party per arc.
Yet when I'm playing this I feel we're playing it RIGHT, because despite having part of our party just meet each other, there's no barbarians punching innocent clerics in the gullet, pacifist sorcerers walking away from the group or tribal warriors eating decapitated Orc heads in front of an undertaker...
Know what I mean, fellas?

I have to agree. I like how each of our characters is unique, and we're playing them uniquely, but they're fitting into a whole in a believable way. And we're having fun with it.. both playing a game and telling a story. :smallbiggrin:

Egneil
2012-11-02, 02:55 PM
Hehe, thanks guys. :smallbiggrin: I've tried to do a few games here and they've always fell flat. I think that it's because I let the OoC thread grow to silent, or I waited too long between posts in the IC thread. Speaking of which I should probably post there now.

Yeah though, I really like the world building/fluff creation of a campaign. Having realistic people and consequences are a part of that.

Prince Zahn
2012-11-02, 09:09 PM
Apropos of opinions: Am I sticking too much unimportant details into my posts?
I'm pretty sure this never happened to me before this adventure, but Originally I intended Frandol to be a smart and cultured(if not quirky) person, while trying subconsciously to back it up with facts and references I made up on the fly (as if any of it really served a purpose (like the Derlaynna mead when I originally intended to joke: "try an easy drink - like Whisky", when a pal pointed out I was an era or two early for it:smallfrown:. At hindsight saying "brandy" could've saved me the effort), anyway, now that I'm conscious of it I want to know if it burdens ye reading or in any way off-putting?
I can try to keep the lore-spouting more scarce I just want to know what you guys think of it before I actually do so. [/selfanalyze]

I want to be a better player, I need to constantly review efforts...

Newcomer
2012-11-02, 09:44 PM
As a fellow player, it doesn't bother me at all. I intend to make up legends and stories for Elestil to spout off when we're adventuring. But really I guess it's up to whether it's fine by Egneil, because he's the one integrating all of our contributions into a working world. My working assumption is it's cool, but the DM has the right to "correct" any of our asserted character knowledge if it contradicts what he has in mind. If it's obscure enough, though, I can't imagine it causing too much trouble.

Egneil
2012-11-04, 01:14 AM
Firstly I'd like to apologize about the lateness of my post.:smallfrown: It's just I use an old computer and when it froze it ate my first attempt before I could finish it, sorry about the wait.

Also I don't mind anyone adding unnecessary fluff to their posts, so long as they don't contradict anything. If things end up contradicting anyway I find that it can be easily explained away unproven/incorrect theories. (Alternatively it could also be a case magic/psionics did it if it's something bigger.) I try to leave a good amount of vagueness in this world so it's easier to combine things.

Arcanist
2012-11-04, 02:35 PM
My detect hostile intent is still up incase anyone is curious so if Gravious decides to try and coup me I automatically wake up and proceed to go nuclear on him.

Prince Zahn
2012-11-05, 01:59 PM
My detect hostile intent is still up incase anyone is curious so if Gravious decides to try and coup me I automatically wake up and proceed to go nuclear on him.

Well that's neat, Still doesn't stop Frandol from worrying, he probably learned something today, he'd still find it hard to believe that anyone could get a buzz from what may as well be fruit punch,:smallbiggrin:
If the dwarf -HAD- suggested Whisky Frandol might've killed the man. :smalltongue:

Anyway, so I take it Elestil took sight of things, I sense an "explain yourself" in the near future, if not from the goblin then from someone else...

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-05, 02:59 PM
So, correct me here if I'm wrong Egneil, but I can only use the Knowstone once, right? Or does it recharge?

Edit: Also, love that Issath got drunk off basically nothing. :smallbiggrin:

Egneil
2012-11-05, 04:31 PM
So, correct me here if I'm wrong Egneil, but I can only use the Knowstone once, right? Or does it recharge?

It's meant to be a sorcerers Pearl of Power, so you can only use it once per day. It recharges each time you regain your spell slots. Also you can have the stone re-imprinted with a different power by a different sorcerer for spell level x 10 GP.

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-05, 04:43 PM
It's meant to be a sorcerers Pearl of Power, so you can only use it once per day. It recharges each time you regain your spell slots. Also you can have the stone re-imprinted with a different power by a different sorcerer for spell level x 10 GP.

Once per day? Hot damn, sweet! :smallsmile:

Dr.Robotnik
2012-11-05, 06:37 PM
Were we ever told the captain of the guards name?

Egneil
2012-11-05, 07:07 PM
No, I didn't tell you the captains name.

Arcanist
2012-11-05, 08:56 PM
No, I didn't tell you the captains name.

Ah, I knew we forgot something :smallannoyed:

Egneil
2012-11-05, 10:48 PM
@Newcomer: Yes I meant for everyone currently collected to hear the conversation. Sorry if that was unclear.

Newcomer
2012-11-05, 11:19 PM
@Newcomer: Yes I meant for everyone currently collected to hear the conversation. Sorry if that was unclear.

Thanks. I edited my IC post. And since I can't roll in an edit, I'll roll here.

Diplomacy: [roll0] -- only to make a good/not suspicious impression, if you think a roll is even necessary. Elestil wants the others in the tent to see him as someone whose presence in the tent/discussion they won't object to.

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-08, 06:33 PM
Gotta be honest, I'm starting to feel Thurod is the straight man of the group. :smallbiggrin:

Prince Zahn
2012-11-08, 07:26 PM
Gotta be honest, I'm starting to feel Thurod is the straight man of the group. :smallbiggrin:

Well, we all have our quirks, Frandol and his (mostly genuine) dwarven culture, Issath and his almost literal rebirth, Elestil being a rare voice and outcast among his own kind.
(Sorry Robotnik I hope to see your character's unexpected quirks later on.)
Anyhow, and why shouldn't you? You owe it to him to shine as the leader of the party, even if that occasionally means making up some pointlessly odd quirk, thing, habit or prefference to complete the gaps in our ragtag caravan of misfits.:smallsmile:

So live up to your name my friend, and scramble us some brains, ah? I like mine sunny-side-sideways.:smallbiggrin:

Arcanist
2012-11-08, 11:29 PM
Issath and his almost literal rebirth

To be more specific Issath is effectively an example of what Human life was like in the "beginning" if you will, from the point of view from the New Age religion. Very naive and effectively innocent, but very sensitive to the Macroworld and the Microworld around him. He also possess a little bit of... Hidden wit to it all... :smallamused:

I'd ask if he could go into the Mindbender prestige class (dip) and take Mindsight and RP him getting his eyes gauged out allowing him complete unimpeded access to the Mind, Body, Spirit and 4th World... But that is of course only if the DM is allowing that to fly :smallbiggrin:

You should seriously ask Issath on his spiritual views (he wouldn't call them "Spiritual" though). Would completely explain why he is the way he is :smallsmile:

Hell if our campaign ever gets out of the camp and moves into Epic (I doubt it will, but just in case) I'll ask if I can use this template (http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?p=9882#p9882) to retire Issath and play as something else :smalltongue:

Prince Zahn
2012-11-09, 12:40 AM
Specifics.oh, specifics!:smalltongue:
To the sophisticated eye, One an assume I was close enough....

Well, shoot! Now I wanna know what you would say haha!:smallbiggrin:
Shall we continue, Egneil?

Arcanist
2012-11-09, 12:59 AM
oh, specifics!:smalltongue:
To the sophisticated eye, One an assume I was close enough....

Well, shoot! Now I wanna know what you would say haha!:smallbiggrin:
Shall we continue, Egneil?

Lol take a full round action to wake me up... :smalltongue: He's not that drunk to actually be unconscious... He's just sleeping from sudden exposure to a 3rd world tainted substance (Alcohol, Drugs, etc.) Although it isn't against his "Spiritual" vows (which he didn't take... I'll ask for BoED for access to the vow of Abstinence and Poverty to symbolize him experiencing spiritual advancement and taking the Saint Template after sacrificing his eyes for whatever... Most likely to help you guys... probably) so eventually Issath will become a Monk dedicated to the cosmic consciousness where as it will be a blasphemy to tempt him with drink :smallbiggrin:

I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but I intend to play Issath as if he were an Exalted character... :smalltongue:

Idk... I want to finally play a character that lets me experience Lawful Good through circumstance and not just through me writing on my character sheet. When I write an alignment on my character sheet I usually mean it. :smalltongue:

No, I do not intend to be the party Nazi... Issath's teachings are in essence "Do as thoust will" meaning that he is under no reason criticize any of you for your actions, however he will always resort to diplomacy if possible which is why I want to set up "Detect Hostile Intent" up 24/7 to cut out the middle man if at all possible :smalltongue:

EDIT: I'd like to make note that I've planned him out all the way to 21st level so thanks Mr. DM for finally granting Issath life and a world to live in :smallsmile:

Egneil
2012-11-09, 02:54 AM
Sorry about the posting rate, I've been preparing for collage so I've only been able to get online during the night. Don't worry though, I'll finish this campaign irregardless. To that effect I've been working out more details about encounters. (Instead of relying on my lackluster improvisational abilities) However expect posting to fluctuate until I've been excepted somewhere.

It's time for bed for me so I'll answer questions later. Sorry about the mess. :smallfrown:

Newcomer
2012-11-09, 02:34 PM
As long as the posting rate is fast enough that the group doesn't dissolve, I have no objections. And everyone seems to be staying committed so far. (Thank you, everyone!) :smallsmile:

I need to think a bit before deciding how Elestil reacts to that phraseology. This will help:

Bardic Knowledge on Shiria: [roll0]

Egneil
2012-11-09, 03:01 PM
@Newcomer: Shiria is meant to be the name of Elestil's wife, from the legend. As for other legends about her specifically, I can't think of any right now.

@Arcanist: I like to run my characters under their alignments as well, so you're welcome about Issath's life. :smallsmile:

As for the Prc and template, I won't be allowing them. There's already a Prc based around the template that's more balanced. And I've already used the Psionic Uncarnate class for the Ascended Masters anyway. Anything closer to pure energy requires epic level and will draw the attention of the Gods. (As the next level after becoming such a being is Divine Rank 0) And I don't mind granting monster abilities to players, so there's no need to allow the Prc.

Dr.Robotnik
2012-11-09, 10:39 PM
What check wwould it be to not get bored/frustrated?
Wis? Autohypnosis? No check? I'm debating using autohypnosis to sit in that office nearly indefinitely.

Arcanist
2012-11-09, 10:47 PM
@Newcomer: Shiria is meant to be the name of Elestil's wife, from the legend. As for other legends about her specifically, I can't think of any right now.

@Arcanist: I like to run my characters under their alignments as well, so you're welcome about Issath's life. :smallsmile:

As for the Prc and template, I won't be allowing them. There's already a Prc based around the template that's more balanced. And I've already used the Psionic Uncarnate class for the Ascended Masters anyway. Anything closer to pure energy requires epic level and will draw the attention of the Gods. (As the next level after becoming such a being is Divine Rank 0) And I don't mind granting monster abilities to players, so there's no need to allow the Prc.

If I maybe so kind as to offer the use of the meditant over the psionic uncarnate. Effectively an improvement upon the other since the meditant captures spiritual ascension much easier (in the form of all day etherealness 3/day). How about access to the BoED for the sacred vows?:smallsmile:

I'm on my itouch now so I'll edit this later

Prince Zahn
2012-11-10, 02:19 AM
I've wanted to fiddle about with a hat of disguise for years, Having been almost always dependent on the DM for magic knick-knacks, I never had much of the chance to, either. When I found out I had plenty of starting budget to work with it was among the first things on my mind:smallbiggrin:

So yeah, Frandol mainly uses it to mess with strangers' heads using the hat, it's a fun little perk when meeting new people, he may use it to lay briefly as well, but right now there is no real practical reason to using it, what's life without whimsy?:smallbiggrin:

One problem he must face with each disguise, however, is the he can't hide the glowing streak in his beard without a powerful illusion of some sort.

Arcanist
2012-11-11, 09:54 AM
In a few hours if someone doesn't respond I'll auto-wake Issath and interact. Ain't letting you quit this easy :smallcool:

Prince Zahn
2012-11-11, 10:44 AM
It's still pretty early for that, I'd reckon, among other things Frandol might try to see if he can find some things, among them a sobering spell of either enchantment or transmutation, if he can't find it he will inquire directions for a place to find an appropriate conjuration(healing) potion of the sort.

Bottom line is we're not leaving without 'im, I assure you.

EDIT: Unless, of course, I'd be wasting my effort and money if Elans wake from alcohol and sober through a hangover far quicker than most humanoids...

Newcomer
2012-11-11, 01:13 PM
No way for Frandol to know that, though.

Arcanist
2012-11-11, 01:30 PM
EDIT: Unless, of course, I'd be wasting my effort and money if Elans wake from alcohol and sober through a hangover far quicker than most humanoids...

Meditants from the Kun-Da-Li-Ni are naturally resistant towards most Alcohols (in the form of hangovers and the such, not getting plastered) and 3rd world taints (drugs) since that is usually what they export, despite alcohol being illegal to drink in the Kun-Da-Li-Ni. DMT, however is entirely legal since it isn't viewed as a drug and is viewed as a meditative device (like Incense). :smalltongue:

Seriously, if you had taken Issath to an opium den he would have burned you guys out so fast... :smalltongue:

Newcomer
2012-11-11, 01:49 PM
Meditants from the Kun-Da-Li-Ni are naturally resistant towards most Alcohols

... and yet Issath is plastered after one light drink.

Arcanist, if you're just getting antsy, you could always do a dreaming post. :smallamused: ...I'm not sure I really want to see what Issath dreams about... :smalltongue:

Arcanist
2012-11-11, 02:03 PM
... and yet Issath is plastered after one light drink.

Arcanist, if you're just getting antsy, you could always do a dreaming post. :smallamused: ...I'm not sure I really want to see what Issath dreams about... :smalltongue:

I EDITED PROPERLY! :smalltongue:

ooo... I'd actually have to think about what Issath's dreams would be like actually... Having been raised by Monks to be effectively an ascetic without the friken Vow of Poverty *daggers at DM* :smalltongue: so I'm not exactly sure what he would dream about... :smallsmile:

Prince Zahn
2012-11-11, 03:06 PM
I EDITED PROPERLY! :smalltongue:

ooo... I'd actually have to think about what Issath's dreams would be like actually... Having been raised by Monks to be effectively an ascetic without the friken Vow of Poverty *daggers at DM* :smalltongue: so I'm not exactly sure what he would dream about... :smallsmile:

(Working with what little information I have on Issath, the Ascended masters, and the Kun-Da-Li-Ni) I have my own suggestions, knowing your character only up to a certain point(and for a good reason) I am unsure how much help it will be, however. Is all speculating.
The first:being a encrypted message of some sort - directed towards Issath, which you could weave yourself, OR trust Mr.DM to make the magic, or a combination of both.
The other: this one involves using sleep as an opportunity for Issath to simply think. "process" the information surrounding him and he interacted with, reflect upon the people and experiences he's interacted with and what kind of people they are, considering this option Issath might understand what kind of people he met, and understand that drinking feels a bit too odd for him, with an alternative like this Issath might be very hard to fool twice...
Yet another option involves viewing an aspect of Issath's previous life which, despite the rebirthing rite, could simply and/or poetically not disappear and/or be parted with forever, by weaving these things yourself, the "camera view" will show us a deeper part of Issath. How would you explain such a phenomenon? Perhaps A brief, yet evidently crucial, interruption in the ritual, or a "subconscious difficulty to maintain the rebirth", or if I'm already pitching this kind of material:"The memory was so traumatic it was forever scarred into you, to the point mortal force* could not remove it."(or alternatively "the memories were so precious to the original Issath that deep enough inside he could not part with them, and now he must bear the consequences")
Further thinking: you can have a utopia dream, or some campaign-appropriate adaptation of one, a place you may only dream of until you are deemed worthy, or join the ascended masters[?]

Or something like that...........
Ooh! OR— you can simply not think much into it and be one of those guys with peculiar dreams not a single person on this earth can have an answer to - those are the best kind, you know:smallbiggrin:

Dr.Robotnik
2012-11-11, 07:28 PM
So, would I be able to use autohypnosis to put myself into a trance rather than wait patiently? It might be useful to make a gag later. If not, ill just wait for the clerk to finish his paperwork.

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-11, 07:59 PM
I rather like PZ's suggestions, Arcanist. :smallbiggrin:

Egneil
2012-11-11, 10:48 PM
@Dr.Robotnik: Sorry about not updating you. I've been trying to keep everyone's post at around the same amount of time. I'm not sure if I've succeeded, but I may have gone overboard with you. Sorry about that.

@Arcanist: I don't have the full rules for Vow of Poverty so I won't be allowing it. Most people seem to think that it's overpowered, so I'll believe them until I can get the full rules.

As for the meditants, I can see your point about them being more spiritual. Although I can see uncarnates to be just as spiritual. Gaining ascension through the removal of a physical form and becoming pure thought.

...And I just had an idea for your character just now. And it goes well with my original idea too, hehehehe.:smallbiggrin:

Arcanist
2012-11-12, 12:46 AM
(Working with what little information I have on Issath, the Ascended masters, and the Kun-Da-Li-Ni) I have my own suggestions, knowing your character only up to a certain point(and for a good reason) I am unsure how much help it will be, however. Is all speculating.
The first:being a encrypted message of some sort - directed towards Issath, which you could weave yourself, OR trust Mr.DM to make the magic, or a combination of both.
The other: this one involves using sleep as an opportunity for Issath to simply think. "process" the information surrounding him and he interacted with, reflect upon the people and experiences he's interacted with and what kind of people they are, considering this option Issath might understand what kind of people he met, and understand that drinking feels a bit too odd for him, with an alternative like this Issath might be very hard to fool twice...
Yet another option involves viewing an aspect of Issath's previous life which, despite the rebirthing rite, could simply and/or poetically not disappear and/or be parted with forever, by weaving these things yourself, the "camera view" will show us a deeper part of Issath. How would you explain such a phenomenon? Perhaps A brief, yet evidently crucial, interruption in the ritual, or a "subconscious difficulty to maintain the rebirth", or if I'm already pitching this kind of material:"The memory was so traumatic it was forever scarred into you, to the point mortal force* could not remove it."(or alternatively "the memories were so precious to the original Issath that deep enough inside he could not part with them, and now he must bear the consequences")
Further thinking: you can have a utopia dream, or some campaign-appropriate adaptation of one, a place you may only dream of until you are deemed worthy, or join the ascended masters[?]

Or something like that...........
Ooh! OR— you can simply not think much into it and be one of those guys with peculiar dreams not a single person on this earth can have an answer to - those are the best kind, you know:smallbiggrin:

My reaction to all of this... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lEedyxkbNo)

I have a good idea for what Issath's dreams would look like now. For a small explanation. It would be all of these and yet none of them at the same time. To make things appropriate Issath would most likely view all of creation from day one up to his 1st birth, 9th death and Reincarnation as a Utopian world where everyone is effectively an equal to each other. The most common factor in all of Issath's life is that regardless of the number of peoples that have surrounded him, regardless of the prestige he has held, regardless of how much power he has wielded in his time. He has always been lonely. He never found a mate when he existed as a Ectoplasm Dragon due to not finding one who could be his equal, He never found a friend when he was a Human Scholar in the Rosary (Special scholarly guild, exclusive to females) due to never actually leaving his tower, he never found happiness as an Elf due to never actually learning the perfection that is required for being an Elf. During all of his lives, something has always been missing, however now that he is now on the road to ascension he might just find those little things that were missing in his life...

Writing out Issath's entire History would be quite a feat in and of itself so during that dream sequence I might just paraphrase on some moments. Hell I might even only show Thurod since he still has a Mindlink with me at the moment :smalltongue:

I don't have the full rules for Vow of Poverty so I won't be allowing it. Most people seem to think that it's overpowered, so I'll believe them until I can get the full rules.

As for the meditants, I can see your point about them being more spiritual. Although I can see uncarnates to be just as spiritual. Gaining ascension through the removal of a physical form and becoming pure thought.

...And I just had an idea for your character just now. And it goes well with my original idea too, hehehehe.:smallbiggrin:

Actually Vow of Poverty is generally underpowered since you are effectively giving up the most powerful thing in the game: Magical items, but eh :smalltongue:

Uncarnates are fine, I'm just offering Meditant as a slightly better response of that. Please feel free to toss back your character idea for Issath :smallsmile:

I am glad that so many of you could actually toss nice feed back for him.

Prince Zahn
2012-11-12, 06:22 AM
Yeah I realized my screw-up with the rolling initiative, and thankfully nothing will really be fatal if they do use it, it's just that Frandol likes to play, and naturally hates to lose, it won't be a good thing to flaunt about the mark to other dwarves, assuming the dwarf figured it out he might possibly understand the reasoning behind hiding an identity he no longer posesses, likely not sympathetic, however.
INITIATIVE:
[roll0]

Newcomer
2012-11-12, 09:40 AM
Not to interfere too much with your creative processes, but logically, why would magic implants develop? It seems like it would be more complicated and likely more difficult than simply healing the failed organs through magic. I mean, not every development is logical, but I'm curious about that one..

Prince Zahn
2012-11-12, 01:06 PM
An excellent question, Newcomer, one I have given a bit of thought to, so I'll give it a shot:
While curative magic, such as restoration, may be effective, but there is one situation where they cannot handle(at least so without far greater magic that is seldom seen), I'm speaking of long-term and recurring illness.

This little fella - Eissel, who was originally viewed as a madman for pioneering the process, originally used the technique to have his heart beat and sustain his life with no connection to his veins, thus securing the safety of his heart, so that he may live while his mind siezes full control of his conpassion, and denying his hunters the joy of ripping it from his body, as many swore at his time.

Eras later it was figured out that body parts could be augmented with magic for reasons not as dark, a wealthy traveller might ask such a surgeon, sometimes referred to today as "fixers" to hold extradimentional space in his stomach so that he could sustain for far longer without nourishment, or perhaps his heart's blood to never clot, while regeneration can restore, an implant's job is to treat, and prevent.

More seen uses for it that don't involve saving lives include enchanting bones and limbs to grow or mend more serious damage swifter, enchanting a brain to improve capabilities, or a skull to change face, these methods are far, FAR, FAAR more expensive treatments than providing magical items, but they are known to last a lifetime, and are sometimes hereditary, which are two traits that together overcome the prices of restocking magical or mundane medicines for the long run.

Successful adventurers and wealthy and/or powerful families and houses are the primary market for these kinds of things, as the great naturally seek to be greater, and the powerful oft wish be perfect, as such when a person hears you can afford one he'll really hear you have luxury money, and lots of it.

Does that answer your questions?:smallsmile:

Egneil
2012-11-12, 02:01 PM
After reading your explanation, I'll have to say no to body enchantments. Mostly this is from enchantments needing one day per 1,000GP in it's base price to make, thus requiring the organ to be exposed for the duration. Also I've previously decided that enchanting requires a variety of minerals and magical plants to be molded into the object. And anyone desperate enough to cure their ailments would generally seek out the larger monasteries and cities where such high level spells can be cast. If such enchantments could be cast, magic isn't widespread enough to have anyone skilled enough to preform it.

Now I won't outright throw away your fluff. Instead it would be explained away as a hoax, or Eissel was actually a lich, or a god. And anyone offering such an enhancement is a murderous con man who worships a dark god. The closest you could get to body enchantments would be from permanent magical tattoos.(Which are different from Psionic Tattoos, but mechanically similar to them and can only be created by Artificers.)

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that Artificers are present in this world, but they're considered radical academics. Their radical and unproven theories getting them thrown out of the magical institutions. Should an Artificer become skilled enough to create basic magic items, their unrefined art gives those items undesirable effects.(Basically their items are cursed from the start.)

Prince Zahn
2012-11-12, 04:10 PM
After reading your explanation, I'll have to say no to body enchantments. Mostly this is from enchantments needing one day per 1,000GP in it's base price to make, thus requiring the organ to be exposed for the duration. Also I've previously decided that enchanting requires a variety of minerals and magical plants to be molded into the object. And anyone desperate enough to cure their ailments would generally seek out the larger monasteries and cities where such high level spells can be cast. If such enchantments could be cast, magic isn't widespread enough to have anyone skilled enough to preform it.
Yes, true. If you please allow me, I will argue two things, then make your decision:
1.1000/day is for crafting magic items, while it is true that it is the orthodox crafting method, By logic the existence of such a method would rely on it's immediate excecution in times of emergency, even if it would be as simple as "cast the appropriate therapeutic spell on the organ with permanecy"...with which perhaps could be possible - the exact execution technique may just as well stay a secret one so long as nobles will pay for it.
2. It's market is rich people who can afford liesure or wish desperately to survive, not for some crunch-hungry glatiator who will be unstoppable, just for the principles of availabilty, the prices are incredible because that's how much a noble is willing to pay for it, practitioners of the craft are indeed rare, and are mostly monopolized by the rich. Moreover - This little addition to the world is not meant by any means as a real adventurer's option, the danger that the one thing keeping you alive 24/7 could collapse inside you from a simple dispel magic spell as you shrivel and die on the spot often spells retirement for a "fixed" hero with more than 7 points of wisdom score. Forgive me for this analogy - In essence it's like having a pacemaker, there is the great advantage of staying alive(and all it includes), but it stands alongside major disadvantages and problems that could put you right where you started if you're not always careful.

The defense rests. Your DMship.
That said, I'd be fine with Eissel being a lich of legend, or an evil god. perhaps his original name is kept to instill fear upon mischivieous young halflings who stray from the path of good, thinking innocence, luck, and a meager appearance will save them from becoming monstrosities - both inside and out.

Awww shucks! What is it about the phrase "instill fear upon young halflings"?
There's just something about it that makes me grin so wide...:smallbiggrin:

I kid.

Egneil
2012-11-12, 05:06 PM
I can see your point, but I'm going to say no. In order for this procedure to exist people would need to have a greater understanding of how magic works. Currently though people are more concerned with creating a desired effect than they are with what causes those effects. Basically there's just not enough knowledge for people to have these kinds of procedures. (Or any kind of procedure for that matter) "Fixers" would be more akin to the medical alchemists of old, throwing magic together and hope that it produces the correct effect.

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-12, 10:00 PM
Writing out Issath's entire History would be quite a feat in and of itself so during that dream sequence I might just paraphrase on some moments. Hell I might even only show Thurod since he still has a Mindlink with me at the moment :smalltongue:

I am glad that so many of you could actually toss nice feed back for him.

Waiting eagerly if you do. :smallsmile:

Hey, good teammates help each other develop their characters.

That said, I'd be fine with Eissel being a lich of legend, or an evil god. perhaps his original name is kept to instill fear upon mischivieous young halflings who stray from the path of good, thinking innocence, luck, and a meager appearance will save them from becoming monstrosities - both inside and out.

Awww shucks! What is it about the phrase "instill fear upon young halflings"?
There's just something about it that makes me grin so wide...:smallbiggrin:

I kid.

You can't scare a halfling, you can only surprise them. Like a weaker Chuck Norris. :smallbiggrin:

I kid as well.

Newcomer
2012-11-12, 10:35 PM
I'm glad someone mentioned Elestil's name! :smallbiggrin:

Although the man might interpret it as a strange way of Thurod saying he agrees with the legendary Elestil's Elven quote. :smallfrown:

Prince Zahn
2012-11-13, 05:46 AM
You can't scare a halfling, you can only surprise them. Like a weaker Chuck Norris. :smallbiggrin:

I kid as well.
Actually, a weaker Chuck Norris is never actually "young", from day zero he is a full-grown adult capable of roundhouse kicking the Tarrasque in the face so hard he dies and reincarnates 4 times in other planes of existence. (This is an at-will ability).
Can a halfling do that?:smallcool:

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-13, 10:48 AM
Actually, a weaker Chuck Norris is never actually "young", from day zero he is a full-grown adult capable of roundhouse kicking the Tarrasque in the face so hard he dies and reincarnates 4 times in other planes of existence. (This is an at-will ability).
Can a halfling do that?:smallcool:

Wait and see. :smallcool:

Prince Zahn
2012-11-13, 12:55 PM
Wait and see. :smallcool:

...I like your style, Mr.Brains.:smallcool:

Arcanist
2012-11-13, 04:29 PM
AUGH! I have no idea how I'm going to pop this dream sequence into the current game! :smallfrown:

Mr. DM! Please tell me where it would be okay to pop it in :smalltongue:

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-13, 07:26 PM

:smallbiggrin: Likewise.

Prince Zahn
2012-11-15, 12:46 PM
Hey, Egneil(and Co.)?

I got a small problem, you guys are probably soon heading out with the caravan, aside from discussing the extra crates and such there is also the matter of waiting for Frandol, who, odds are, is going to have to explain to the clerks why he's entered the Mage guildhall disguised.

Frandol's player, however, is going to be gone until next Tuesday-wednsday starting this evening while you guys progress.

I'm not out of the game, I just won't have access to the Internet during this time while I get a guy to fix my Internet in my own house.

Any suggestions what to do, fellas? Do you continue on assuming Frandol is with you, while I PM-roleplay the shopping-scene with Mr.DM when I get back, or do I write something down when I get my Internet back?
When I get back I'll look, but by all means DM&players - decide this one for me...

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-15, 07:16 PM
Hey, Egneil(and Co.)?

I got a small problem, you guys are probably soon heading out with the caravan, aside from discussing the extra crates and such there is also the matter of waiting for Frandol, who, odds are, is going to have to explain to the clerks why he's entered the Mage guildhall disguised.

Frandol's player, however, is going to be gone until next Tuesday-wednsday starting this evening while you guys progress.

I'm not out of the game, I just won't have access to the Internet during this time while I get a guy to fix my Internet in my own house.

Any suggestions what to do, fellas? Do you continue on assuming Frandol is with you, while I PM-roleplay the shopping-scene with Mr.DM when I get back, or do I write something down when I get my Internet back?
When I get back I'll look, but by all means DM&players - decide this one for me...

Well...we could wait for you. Wouldn't be that bad. :smallsmile:

But, if you'd rather we continue...not sure what to do...

Egneil
2012-11-16, 03:23 PM
Sorry about the late reply again. I'm still trying to get everything in order.

I don't mind having Prince Zahn PM me about his portion of the shopping trip, I can just do a summary for when he gets back. So don't worry about posts directed towards him.

@Arcanist: Sorry about not having very many breaks in the dialogue, I'm trying to have a player interaction every post.

EDIT: I forgot to add a bit of information in my haste to post. It's nothing more than a way to keep this route viable.

Arcanist
2012-11-18, 06:11 PM
@Arcanist: Sorry about not having very many breaks in the dialogue, I'm trying to have a player interaction every post.

EDIT: I forgot to add a bit of information in my haste to post. It's nothing more than a way to keep this route viable.

Tis all cool and dandy :smallbiggrin: I'm a patient person :smalltongue:

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-19, 09:18 PM
Thurod's asking for a vote, folks. :smallbiggrin:

Arcanist
2012-11-19, 11:55 PM
Newcomer, if you are that concerned about Issath's condition, wake him up! :smalltongue:

Newcomer
2012-11-20, 12:28 AM
Sorry... As far as Elestil knows, Issath is completely zonked, and Frandol has a plan to de-zonk him. :smallamused:

Arcanist
2012-11-20, 03:51 AM
Sorry... As far as Elestil knows, Issath is completely zonked, and Frandol has a plan to de-zonk him. :smallamused:

Better not be anything hilarious... without me being apart of it

Prince Zahn
2012-11-20, 06:03 AM
Better not be anything hilarious... without me being apart of it

Arcanist, you and I are in sync, I'm really hoping for something silly, outrageous or similar...
:smallsmile:[/POLITENESS] Ooh! Can we, Mr.DM? Can we Pleeeeeeeaaaaaase?
EDIT:Oh, yeah... I'm back...:smallbiggrin:

FURTHER EDIT: PM sent, let's get moving!

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-21, 04:30 PM

Arcanist, you and I are in sync, I'm really hoping for something silly, outrageous or similar...
:smallsmile:[/POLITENESS] Ooh! Can we, Mr.DM? Can we Pleeeeeeeaaaaaase?
EDIT:Oh, yeah... I'm back...:smallbiggrin:

FURTHER EDIT: PM sent, let's get moving!

PZ! You're back! :smallbiggrin: Alright, let's get this show on the road!

Also, could I sig the above quote?(The higher of the two.)

Newcomer
2012-11-21, 05:01 PM
Did Thurod know about Issath? (I can't actually remember) Because Elestil didn't mention him out loud. On purpose. :smallwink:

ScrambledBrains
2012-11-21, 05:35 PM
Did Thurod know about Issath? (I can't actually remember) Because Elestil didn't mention him out loud. On purpose. :smallwink:

...Good point. I don't know if Thurod did or not...

Arcanist
2012-11-22, 02:15 AM
...Good point. I don't know if Thurod did or not...

You can hear his dreams at the moment if you want too. The Mindlink is still in affect :smalltongue: