PDA

View Full Version : Something Wicked this way Comes...



Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Mr. X
2012-10-02, 08:38 PM
Hey guys, here we are in the OOC.

Post your sheets, Backgrounds, and Contacts here when they're ready.

Here's the setting info again.

The Continental Map:
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/ContinentalTradeRoutes_zps2e301613.jpg

Blurbs on the major cities:

A Brief Explanation of Politics, Cities, and Geography

Most cities are Independent City States, each ruled in their own fashion, be it Ruling Class, Royal Family, Republic, Theocracy, or any combination of the above.

Massive stone edifices litter the continent, built by peoples long lost to the mists of history, for purposes unknown. Most cities have grown around these cyclopean structures and fortresses, as they provide easy fortification, and sit in idealy provisional lands.

Timaril, centrally located, is the largest city on the continent. It's people are a wide variety of races, but the predominent population is human. It calls itself a Republic, but is truly controlled by the wealthy upper classes. It is rife with crime and political intrigue, and it's population numbers in the millions of souls.

Beluvah The 'Seat of the Gods' has been a religious center since anyone can remember, and is governed by the council of Religious Leaders. It's great temples the goal of many a pilgrim on their way to pay hommage to their chosen gods. It stays apart, at least publicly, from most intercity politics.

Star Spire is named for the impossibly tall iron spire that sits at it's center, reaching high into the heavens. The spire was ancient when people first settled around it, and, like the other great structures, continues to be a mystery to any who would seek to understand its origin. The Land around it is high and rocky plateaus and mountains, reaching east to the cost, and south to the Red Canyon, through which the river flows from Clear Water Lake.

Great Gate is the oldest human city on the continent, and generally believed to be where all humans originally came from. It is ruled by a King.

The Ancient's Way is an incredibly massive stone bridge that connects the Northern Reaches to the Mainland. 26 miles long, and wide enough for a thousand men to march abreast, it's construction is far beyond contemporary means.

Citidel is a ancient fortress sitting at the base of the Ancient's Way. Now, it has grown into a hard trading comunity through which all action between the North and the Mainland must pass.

Loc'Nethal is the city of Elves, burried deep in the southern forrests. Very little is know about it, but the Elves are becoming increasingly territorial as expanding outposts encroach into their lands.

Black Harbor is the slavers' outpost, where those captured and kidnapped are rounded up to be shipped out to their buyers. Many cities condone slavery, many others do not.

Deep Mote grew up over an expansive network of mines in the northern mountains.

Bastion was built as a naval fortress on the Eastern point of the Northern Reaches, Bastion now controls most the sea trade between the mainland and the Island, and is a haven for traders not wanting to brave The Narrows and pirates alike.

Market This small town grew on the pilgrim's crossroads between Star Spire, Timaril, Sandy Shoal, and Beluvah.


Knightly Orders:

KNIGHTLY ORDERS
Every major city has lines of nobility stretching back across the centuries, and elite orders of protectors to go with them.

The Silver Horsemen
The Slayers of Giants, the makers of Kings, and the Noblest of the Noble, these are the famed Knights of Star Spire. This order was said to have taken the lands around the Spire from the giant tribes that lived there in ages past. The order has existed longer than there are records for, and it's list of valorous deeds stretches for miles.

Ranging through all the lands surrounding Star Spire, the Silver Horsemen are kown for their white horses and shining armor, and march under a Banner of a rearing white horse on a burgundy feild, crossed by a clashing sword and lance.

They are lead by Sir Gerret Thornside

The Dragonknights
When the Dragons of old sailed the skys, none stood before the destruction they wrought. Untill the men of this Order arose... Weilding fearsome magics and deadly weapons, they bled the beasts for every village burned and peasant devoured, unto near extinction...

Based in Great Gate since men first landed on these shores, none need fear the terrors of the sky, or any other, in their presence.

Their helms and armors wrought in draconic fashion, the Dragonknights are known by their Banner of a black dragon spewing flame across a green field.

They are lead by Lord Jessen Kleret.

The Garrison
In ages passed, the king in Great Gate sought to control the whole of the continent. From Timaril to Citadel, none stood before the might of his armies... The orcish hordes were pushed back across the Ancient's Way, and even the Elves fled deep into their forrests. Nothing was beyond his grasp...

Untill he fell upon the garrison at Deep Mote...

The Garrison barely a thousand strong, the might of the king's great empire stopped at their wall, and never reached a step further.

To this day, under their watch, Deep Mote has never fallen... And never shall.

Theirs is the Banner of Deep Mote itself, A hammar and pick crossed over a slate grey field.

They are lead by Dylan Grimaxe.

The Order
Clearwater has always been a center for trade and learning, and does not possess much military strength beyond it's city watch. As such, it has always been a tempting target for any upstart dictator for it's wealth and ideal location...

However, whenever armies have marched on the city, to be met by the feeble strength of the city guard, it has been shown time and again that a few interested and well educated individuals can more than make up for a lack of manpower...

The wizards, sorcerors, and alchemists who make up the order are much more researchers in their normal lives than they are warriors. But when they take to the field, even great attacking forces have been said to flee at the sight of the Ivory Tower of their Banner flying over their walls.

They are lead by Grey Gregor.

The Knights of the Golden Mantle
The largest city on the continent, Timaril is both wealthy and powerful. It's standing army is the largest in the land, and it's elite troop, the Knights of the Golden Mantle, are the pride of all who reside within, or within sight of, it's walls.

Chosen from the finest soldiers of the ranks, these peerless warriors are credited for having made Timaril what it is today.

Their Banner is a Silver Shield upon a gleaming golden field.

They are lead by Lord Jaysen Tearic.

MERCENARY TROOPS
Despite the fact that there has been a tenuous peace over the land for the better part of a century, numerous skirmishes have taken place between rival cities and factions, usually at the hands of paid and unflagged mercenaries, rather than officially sanctioned soldiers. These are some of the more famous groups.

The Bloody Hands
Long ago, when the demi-human hordes of the North threatened to break through Citadel, it was mercenary troops from Ork Watch that bolstered the beleagured ranks, and stopped the invasion... Namely among them were the Bloody Hands.

These men are the separated and the outcast from more official soldiering troops, who've bonded togather to continue doing what they do best for the highest bidder... Fighting and killing.

Their banner is a brown field with a bloody hand print.

They are lead by Torin Hamerfist.

The Ashen Company
They say the men of this company are contracted to serve even after death, and to them, the will of the company stands above that of any king or god.
Marching into battle smeared with the ashes of their fallen brethren, it's said that these men are both protected and empowered by the spirits of those than came before them...

Whatever the truth may be, they are known to fight without flagger and without pause, and without fear of death, and their deeds are sung by bards all across the land.

Their banner is a plain ashen field.

They are lead by Graham Sweeper.

The Crimson Horde
Raids by barbarians and demi-human creatures are common all across the continent, and once upon a time, an enterprising orc decided to start selling the service...

Now one of the strongest troops on the continent, the Crimson Horde is made up of orks, goblins, trolls, ogres, gnolls, hob-goblins, and any other creature willing to swing an axe for gold. They are brutal and vicious, and well worth whatever price they ask.

Their banner is a torn red cloth.

They are lead by Zog Rotgut.
[/SPOILER]

Gods, Deities, Etc.

Gods, Deities, Spirits, and their interactions with the mortal realm

The gods are numerous beyond count, and equally varying in power and influence over the people who live there.

Their purposes and agendas are complex and unknowable to mortals, who can only ever grasp the vaguest principles that each god is said to represent (honor, duty, war, murder, magic, etc.)

They are, however, very involved in the lives of the mortals. Constantly nudging them and pulling them towards their ends. They speak through omens and portents, visions and dreams, signs and fortunes. With legions of angels and demons at their service, they guide the mortals through their lives.

Though they'll never give you a straight answer... Those few truly capable of contacting the gods directly are met with riddles and inuendo, or answers which seem to have to relevence to the question asked... Such is their way.

And so, in a mortal's life, everything from the sermon at the great temple, the tattoo glimpsed on the tavern wench's thigh, the old woman with the crystal ball, or even the coin accidently dropped by a passerby, are the moments through which the gods speak.

As such, society is riddled with every manner of fortune teller, sooth sayer, priest, and spirit man that one could immagine. Most have no true connection with the powers they claim to represent, but are still as often messengers of the gods as they are not (almost always unaware of the differences between their usual ramblings and the god's words).

The gods themselves, similarly, are as conflicted as they are numerous, and certainly not above posing as one another. And so a person who takes to heart every potential sign or omen, finds themselves pulled in so many directions they are likely to go mad. Similarly, a person who attempts to ignore every potential sign, must always wonder if he is not still being strung along by influences he is unaware of.

And so, many fall to following popular gods, or attend smaller gatherings to lesser deities, or simply pay some attention to their fortunes, and try to get through their lives without bothering to much about them.

(This is written in the perspective from a city, but the spirits of nature behave in much the same fashion.)

Regarding the Elves

There is something of a dissconnect between the Elves of Loc'Nethal and those that populate the rest of the continent.

For lack of a better term, we'll call them the High Elves and the Low elves.

For the last several centuries, since the conquest of Great King Guntur the Fist of Great Gate, the High Elves have secluded themselves in the forests around Loc'Nethal, and have shown themselves to be oppossed, sometimes violently, to outside contact.

The forest is not their's alone, however... Barbaric tribes and bandits often hide in the outskirts of the woods for the safety and easy forage the woods provide, and lumber harvesting operations operate all around the forest's edges.

Skirmishes between these groups is common, and every so often, an elf is captured.

Due to their rarity, and the legends surrounding them, elves fetch a high price on the slave market, and a pure blood of the forest can make a pirate crew rich as kings on the single sale alone.

Once caught, such specimines are most often taken to the slave pits of Black Harbor and bred, usually unto death. Their (usually) half-human offspring are then sold across the continent to the wealthy of discerning tastes, or else bred further...

This practice has gone on for several centuries, and now a new breed of elf circulates through the population.

These 'Low Elves' are still uncommon, and while many have escaped or been released from their bonds, and made lives for themselves through various means, they are still always in danger of kidnap by slavers. To avoid this, many cut off their ears and scar their faces, or use other methods to hide or revile their heritage.

It has been said that some have tried to return to their ancestral home, but those who've tried have never returned... Whether because they were successful and welcomed, or killed, no one can say.

Either way, there is no communication that comes out of the forest, and none of any elven heritage have connection to Loc'Nethal save by the blood in their veins.

LordDice
2012-10-02, 08:58 PM
Posting lore info here so I don't have to find it later deeper


Barbarian tribes vary in size and makeup. There are humans, orks, goblins, gnolls, dwarves, halflings, etc.

All tribes are generally hostile to all others, and warring amongst tribes is almost continual. North of the Ancient's Way, 'cities' rise and fall with such frequency that they are rarely named (at least to southerners), much less marked on any map.

The barbarians worship nature spirits and gods, and their magics are derived by such. Their casters are Druids, Rangers, or Sorcerers. Without a schooling system, wizards are rare.

Beluvah, the holy city, has always been a religious center for all gods, spirits, races, and creeds, for longer than there are historical records for. It believed that the geological location is perhaps significant to the gods, but if it is, no one quite knows why.

Nearly everyone on the continent has made pilgrimage to Beluvah at one point or another in their lives. Both of you have been there, though it was before the fall of your clan. In your subsequent overworld wanderings, you likely passed through it again.

You particularly remember the immense gold dome of the Great Temple, and the soaring spire of Lathander's High Tower.

Whether because of their proximity to nature, or simply because they breed like rabbits, there are more magic-users per capita in the north.

The War Parties fielded by any tribe or group of tribes (tenuous alliances do exist) range anywhere from twenty warriors to upwards of a couple thousand.

The army you just faced numbered in the hundreds of thousands.

By all rights, they should have been killing each other.

LordDice
2012-10-06, 10:13 AM
woot, unsecured network giving me a little internet access here, i'll finish up my char background shortly. sorry bout the delay of game

Mr. X
2012-10-06, 11:09 AM
No worries, the forum's been down the last couple of days, so no one could get on anyway.

Barthac
2012-10-06, 11:46 AM
Taalkar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=452429)

Manuevers:

LordDice
2012-10-06, 08:17 PM
Link for new thread...with unfinished backstory and still gotta make some purchases

Karazi (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=452538)

Mr. X
2012-10-07, 02:43 PM
Awesome. Is Barthac the other Twin?

Also, I presume you are only exiled from the Mythril Keep, not from Dwarven Lands as a whole, correct?

Barthac
2012-10-08, 07:27 PM
Barthac is indeed the other twin. The 'hot stone'. The brash and quick to act. Prone to pick a fight and kick butt before asking questions.

Sorry for the slowness getting the character together. This is NOT indicative of regular posting.

Mr. X
2012-10-08, 07:42 PM
No worries, I'm going particularly slowly this weekend too.

LordDice
2012-10-09, 08:44 PM
Also sorry bout the incredible slowness here, I should have realized despite having some internet access here that I'd end up being busy as hell and only have time for it at the end of the day and can barely keep my eyes open by this time.


also missing all my books of course, so I'm borrowing a copy of the MiC now to make figure out some purchases. looks like the backstory between the two brother's is mostly fleshed out. We've still got some details about after the exile to hammer out...most likely becoming mercenary's of some sort and making a name for ourselves.

That's the update for now, hopefully having more time in the next few days. but bottom line I'll be back at home and ready to go with a much more typical 1-2 posts a day by tuesday next week.

Mr. X
2012-10-09, 09:33 PM
No worries, life's been pretty busy for me too of late. Either way, we're not going anywhere.

On a side note, I find this site:http://www.d20srd.org, to be invaluable when books are not handy, and often even when they are.

As for backgrounds, if you like, it's possible that you might have ended up as soldiers in thee Garrison... Your marred past won't leave you much room for promotion, but they will give you a steady job.

Mr. X
2012-10-15, 11:37 PM
I'm still here, if you guys are, by the way.

Barthac
2012-10-16, 09:03 AM
Dice has been out of town all week. We have been working on our backstory quite a bit, though. We keep looking at your note about needing to be somewhat accomplished and noteworthy. When Dice is back in town (middle of this week) we should be able to hit the ground running.

LordDice
2012-10-16, 12:19 PM
Sorry again about the wait, but I just got back home early this morning. Karazi is done, baring Barthac telling me later in the day "Yo dumbass, you forgot X"

Hope you don't mind me leaving a bit of cash in normal gold, soon as he gets some xp I may be using it to make a magic widget or something I'm sure we'll realize we need.

Same with the back story, just need to go over the last detail and fill in some names and make sure Barthac's cool with the last bit added.
Well that and get him to check for grammar...I leave some odd artifacts occasionally. :smallsigh:

I grabbed "Shapesand" from the Sandstorm book, as a kind of multi-tool kind of deal. Planning on refluffing it as like a remold-able stone, unique to the Felgen clan.

But I'm back in the normal swing of things and don't plan on another trip like that for a LOOOONG time.

Mr. X
2012-10-16, 07:04 PM
No worries, and no problems saving a little extra gold. A 'shapestone' should be pretty cool and unique. Send me the blurb on 'shapesand' so I know the basics... I've got a general idea of what it does, by I've never actually read the item description.

I have one request, if you both could please post your backgrounds here, it would be awesome. I find it to be sort of a pain to read on the myth-weaver's sheet.

I'm Looking forward to seeing what you've got.

Mr. X
2012-10-16, 10:50 PM
Ahh, thanks for the book, that's awesome!

Just note, if you want to turn your 'shapestone' into a key, you'll either need to have seen the actual key you're trying to reproduce, or else succeed at a Knowledge(Clockwork and Mechanics) check, for it to work.

LordDice
2012-10-16, 11:08 PM
Oh yeah, I wasn't thinking keys. more like. "Oh, I need a hammer here, or a crowbar"



Here's the finalized backstory in a better format :D

A half days travel by tunnel from Deep Mote, deep into the underbelly of mountains lies the Dwarven keep-city of “Mithril keep under the sparkling water” (Kralitaglorfal) or Mithral Keep.

Home to 7 clans, lead by a council with one representative from each of the major clans

Strong Stone (Falgen), Stonestrong Clan
Sons of Mithril (Noraten), Mithrilson Clan
Eternal Iron (Whurgrim), Ironborn Clan
Farmers (Vonthur), Tunnelhunter Clan
Hearty Warriors (Harkel), Battleborn Clan
Gem Friends (Orlond), Gemkin Clan
Traders [Noble Thiefs] (Nalgath), Highcraft Clan [Dwarves view trading as a lesser profession hence the name, the clan tweaked the common version of their clan name for marketing sake]

For generations Kralitaglorfal prospered, Over time the Mithril started to get mined out and the Mithril Clan lost much of their political sway, Stone and Iron becoming more prominent in their place.

Eventually they betrayed their very brothers, The current Thoranor, Mithril-King, head of the Noraten Clan devised a cunning plan to pit their political foes against one another, breaking up the alliance that had nearly ruined them.

With the help of the somewhat sneaky Traders Clan they secured a set of weapons and armor from the Iron Clan. Slipping a few Noraten warriors into the Falgen Clan-Home during a rest day.
They managed to quietly kill the few standing guard before massacring scores of the Falgen.

Careful to retreat once the Falgen regrouped they quickly shed their ill-gotten Iron Clan armor and sat back and watched as the enraged Falgen’s swarmed out of their tunnels.

The very Stone of the tunnels themselves seemed to come alive as the Falgen went to war, Clad in the finest Stone armor they had, carrying blades of jagged obsidian and huge warmauls made of nothing but shaped granite.

The Whurgrim had no idea what was coming for them, it was a slaughter as their once close ally
butchered them by the dozen.
Yet they regrouped and fought back, they may not have expected the attack, but they were still Dwarves and not far from weapons at any given time.

The fighting lasted for days, those that tried to stop the carnage just got killed for their trouble. The rest of the clans, with some urging from Thoranor decided to sit back and wait for the fighting to end.

After it was all over there were only a handful left from the once large and proud clans, maybe a score of Whurgrim left yet only a pair of Falgen remained. As the Council convened the Falgen explained how they’d been attacked first, but with no evidence to back it up and the active dismissal of the idea by the Noraten. The final 2 sons of the Falgen were exiled, never to return to the Mithral Keep under penalty of having their family name erased from the histories completely.

Karazi’s Tale
Twins....quite rare when it comes to dwarves. But when it occurs within the Falgen clan there are always distinctions. One is always of the hot stone and one of the cold, Karazi was born of the cold stone, methodical and slow to action or anger.

As was tradition Karazi as the “Cold Stone” was trained as a Stoneshaper, an artist of the living stone. He was taught not just to make the tunnels and passageways, but to make them masterpieces.

Falgen Stoneshapers were some of the best in the region at making tunnels. As was tradition they made the tunnels that allowed the other clans access to the purest ores, they designed the cites such that the honeycomb of tunnels never disrupted the strength of the earth and would accommodate the occasional shifting from an earthquake without true disaster.

Taught Terran at a young age, as the formal language of the Stoneshapers as they needed it to speak with their elemental partners. Once of age Karazi was allowed to become a true Stoneshaper. Drinking the water of purified stone and making contact with his own elemental.

Referring to his partner only as Marr in the common tongue, his true name is kept secret and is quite the mouthful to say, even in Terran.

His father was one of the first to fall when they assaulted the Whurgrim, chopped down by the Iron-King himself. Enraged but barely showing it he formed the stone to hold the Iron-King in place while his brother took his head. Pulling the decapitated Iron-King’s axe from his father’s cloven head and moving on to enact more vengence.

Taalkar’s Tale

Taalkar sniffed at the cool air of the early morning. The sun was just lighting the sky but it would be almost an hour before it rose above the mountains. Above his head, the summit was just beginning to glow in the early morning sun, the snowy cap glinting with the first rays of dawn. Below him a clear stream of water picked its way carefully down the rocky slope. It would meet up with a similar stream eventually and race down into the lower lands where it would become muddy and dark. But here, in the mountains, it was cool and clean and would sparkle in the afternoon light.

He stood on an almost invisible ledge, his eyes following the stream out to the lands beyond the mountains. He was ready to leave, to be done with this place and its stink of deceit and betrayal. His ancestors had long ago carved deep and beautiful halls into this very mountain. Far below his feet, safely surrounded by the heart of the mountain, lived his people in warm rooms shaped from the very flesh of the earth. Never again would he see those rooms. Never again would he step foot in the main hall, its walls carved with the names of his forefathers. Never again would he feel the warm press of his kin as they gathered in their ancestral home.

“Bah,” he chided himself, breaking his revery, “No sense in yearning for what can’t be.” His mind flitted over the events of the past several days. The attack, the retaliation, the endless fighting until only a few remained. It was a bloody time full of death and destruction that seemed to last far longer than the few days it really had taken.

They had come without warning. They butchered and killed with malice. They shed the blood of their clan brothers and then snuck away into the dark like rats. Taalkar had rallied for their complete destruction, deceit must be rewarded. His clansman took up the charge and they took the fight to the betrayers. After the blood cooled, the fighting ceased, the remaining few battered and bloodied warriors on each side finally stopped from complete destruction by the Thoranor. He had been called before the council, with his brother Karazi, to explain the actions of his clan. They were all that remained of the once mighty Falgen.

And here I stand, betrayed, clanless, homeless, he thoughts boiling, Denied the home of my ancestors and my place on the council. Denied my birthright. Denied my place among my forefathers.

His anger began to fester again, his feet shifting anxiously, his fingers tightening on the haft of his longaxe. He was the “hot stone.” Quick to anger, quicker to act.

Later, he thought to calm his nerves, Later I will take back what is mine.

“Brother,” he shouted back to the tunnel. Laying his axe over his shoulder and tightening the strap on his pack he continues, “It’s time to go.”

He marched down the mountain, never looking back.

Reforging the Stone

As they left the tunnels of the stone clan, A low rumble alerted the few dwarves to see them leave for exile they knew immediately what had happened and turned a hostile eye upon the Felgen brothers. As the sound quickly grew the brothers just continued to walk away. The entire Felgen clan compound and surrounding tunnels finished collapsing. One onlooker swears they heard a small parting comment from the brothers “It was our belief in the strength of the tunnels that kept them standing, our foundation has been shaken...but the stone shall endure”

Heading to the city of Deep Mote they soon spoke to an old friend of their family, Ironjaw. Technically he used to be of the Falgen Clan, but a young lass from Deep Mote caught his eye and he married into her clan.

With his pull in the area, they were able to get jobs as guarding caravans hauling quality dwarven made goods from Deep Mote to the other kingdoms.

As a few years past and many caravans come and go from Deep Mote and one caravan headed towards the Market City never made it, waylaid and plundered by thieves...they put up a good fight but ended up enslaved with the rest of the survivors, bound for the Black Harbor and the slave markets.

Although enslaved they did have some luck, staying together and ending up in one of the larger slave manufacturing operations in the Black Harbor area. For a year and a half slaved at that factory producing shoddily made mass produced weaponry.

At the dawn of the 542nd day there, the alarm gong sounded. Outside the factory they could hear the roar of battle and clang of steel upon steel. Less than an hour later the victor walked into the factory.

Quickblade and his men had freed them, many took up arms with his band as he roamed the countryside, freeing slaves where he could. The brothers spoke with one of Quickblade’s lieutenants and took to running smaller jobs for their organization of guerillas

They worked to repay their debt of honor for some years before finally returning to Deep Mote and the caves that they loved.

Returning to their old friend Ironjaw and got some work as part of the garrison force, working for a few years yet telling tales in the taverns of daring adventure in the overworld, of fighting slavers and defending caravans.

During their years at the garrison Ironjaw managed to hear a few rumors coming from Mithril Keep about a coup, with the Noraten claiming dominion over the entire keep, killing off the other council heads. Rumors abounded as some dwarves left rather than live under their rule, one of which gave the brothers considerable pause. A slight rumor of the years past and the treachery involved in the Falgen downfall.

Mr. X
2012-10-17, 12:57 AM
Wow, awesome. Give me a day or so to stew on that, and I'll have the IC thread up, and we can get going.

Mr. X
2012-10-18, 03:09 PM
Ok guys, sorry for the delay.

Here's the IC thread:

Something Wicked this way Comes... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14072031#post14072031)

Please choose your speech colors, and take it away.

Mr. X
2012-10-20, 10:28 PM
Hey guys, sorry for the delay, it's being a hellish crazy day today, and it's not over yet.

I'll have a post up tomorrow (and maybe by late tonight, but probably not).

Hope life is treating you well,

Cheers,

X

LordDice
2012-10-20, 10:29 PM
no worries man, hell I held it up for practically 2 weeks :P

Barthac
2012-10-20, 11:27 PM
I took way too long to post my character. He has equipment now by the way.

Mr. X
2012-10-21, 12:41 PM
Just a note, going forward, I am applying the following rules adjustment:

Practice Makes Perfect

When selecting Feats that have multiple redundant levels (Skill Focus, Greater Skill Focus, Epic Skill Focus), you automatically gain the upgraded benefit when you meet the prerequisites. These upgrades occur at Level 10, 15, & 20. Upgrades do not apply to Feats that would provide new effects (Two-Weapon Fighting would upgrade normally, however Off Hand Parry or Pin Shield would still need to be purchased normally).

-------------
Additionally, Crafting and magical crafting shall be adjusted as follows:

Progress shall be measured in GP, rather than SP.

When enchanting magic items, Days=Hours.

Mr. X
2012-10-22, 08:44 PM
Sorry again for the delay. I just posted IC. Enjoy.

LordDice
2012-10-23, 05:12 PM
I remembered Karazi was supposed to be quite slow to decide things, which is kinda hard for me to write, I'd kind of forgotten that in the previous posts as I was excited to get the game going :D

Anyhow, that's why that IC post reads kind of differently, or at least I hope it does.

Mr. X
2012-10-23, 07:26 PM
Ahh, I see. no worries, your characters are yours to play as you see fit (which may easily include dramatic archetypical shifts mid-sentence ;-).

Something to keep in mind, however: 'Slow and steady', does not necessarily mean 'without urgency'.

Mr. X
2012-10-26, 01:17 AM
Hey guys, my appologies for the delay. I had to chew on this scene a little to get it to sound the way I wanted.

Enjoy.

Barthac
2012-10-26, 01:30 AM
No problem, definitely worth the wait.

LordDice
2012-10-26, 07:41 PM
Okay, I'm a little confused at this point.

Demons destroy the Holy City....bad

Horde from the north coming through the Citadel to liberate it....is also bad ?

Is it a matter of the southern nations wanting to deal with it on their own. Not giving up Beluvah to the Northern Hordes ?

Mr. X
2012-10-26, 08:54 PM
Ahh, yes, my appologies.

Demons destroying the holy city, is definitely bad.

Having a massive army from the north liberate the Holy city, is not bad in and of itself... However, allowing a northern army to rampage through the southern lands is definitely bad...

Here's a little history:

The barbaric hordes were driven across the Ancient's way in the time of King Guntur the Fist of Great Gate (whom the Garrison at Deep Mote bled untill he decided he didn't need to conquer the Dwaven lands after all). Since then, Citadel has held the way south sealed from them.

Times have changed, somewhat, over the ages, and years of relative peace have allowed for trade and pilgrimages to pass from the north south through the city is small and well controlled numbers.

Despite this, the north and south are not brothers in arms, and an army at the gate is not to be welcomed for any reason... Though the destruction of Holy Beluvah is indeed an extenuating cercumstance.

The politics of the situation are complicated at best... Every city and Noble line on the continent, you expect, will be vying for the honor of liberating the holy city, and despite the past century of relative peace between the cities, such an attack could easily fracture relations as the cities battle each other for the right to the honor of taking the fight to the enemy.

The situation is extreme, and the right course of action at this juncture is difficult to see. Not much is even known of the force that occupies Beluvah, and you doubt that the Nobles of any city, including your own, will give as much thought to the threat as to the opportunities presented to their reputations...

For now, Captain Bejal intends to fight the horde, if only because it is his duty to prevent the northern hordes from crossing into the southern continent... And not for no good reason either... Even if the assembled army truly had no intention beyond liberating Beluvah, you still have absolutely no doubt that they would pillage and raid every village or town along the way... And the way is not short.

Does that help clarify the situation any? :-/

LordDice
2012-10-26, 09:50 PM
Definitely clearer, thanks for the awesome background info.

Mr. X
2012-10-31, 03:17 AM
Hey guys,

I'm really sorry about my absence over the last few days. I just got back from a really intense work tour, and it left me pretty wrecked. I'm starting to get back to normal, however, and will hopefully have a post up for you tomorrow morning.

Thanks again for your patience, and I hope life is treating you both well.

Cheers,

X

Barthac
2012-10-31, 08:59 AM
I completely understand.

Dice on the other hand is not so nice. :smallbiggrin:

LordDice
2012-10-31, 10:37 AM
lies, all lies ! I was thinking you were busy with Sandy !

Mr. X
2012-10-31, 03:16 PM
Hah!

Who's Sandy?

In anycase, I finally posted IC. There's a fair bit to chew on there, so feel free to ask me to clarify stuff if you need me to.

Barthac
2012-10-31, 03:17 PM
The dog in Annie?

No. No. That's right. A huge storm that has closed most of the eastern U.S.

Mr. X
2012-10-31, 03:47 PM
Oh right, that Sandy.

No, thankfully I am against the opposite ocean, where hurricanes don't happen.

(Though doubtless now that I've said that, we'll get one).

LordDice
2012-10-31, 06:22 PM
I've gotta say, I'm really digging the detailwork you did on the world...and this fight looks to be EPIC :D

Also, thanks for proving me right. Barthac was convinced the fort was alongside the road. Couldn't be swayed to my side...but it was I who was right in the end. MUHAHAHAHA

Mr. X
2012-10-31, 06:42 PM
Heh, thanks. Epic is what we're going for.

To be perfectly honest, this is actually a spin off of a campaign I've been running for just over a year now. That's where most of the backround is coming from. World events were expanding beyond the scope of a single party, however, and so I figured I'd start a new one.

As of now, there are three parties operating along side each other in this world, and your actions will doubtless impact all the others. Depending on how things go, you may even encounter each other eventually.

As for the location of the castle, if you take a look at your map, you will note that Citadel sits directly at the base of the Ancient's Way. ;-)

You know, I should really also look at the map before I make fun of people for not looking at it. :-P

While Citadel sits at the base, The 'Way doesn't run directly North and South, as I depicted it in the castle map, so some debate as to the Wall's actual position is entirely legitimate... It does run straight, however, so really the castle orientation is the same, so we'll say the map is angled for easy legibility...

That was totally the plan, all along.

Yep, it was.

Mr. X
2012-11-02, 01:00 AM
Here's a few notes on typical Dwarven battle tactics that won't apply much to you, but are still common knowledge with regards to your Hammar Company:

Dwarves will typically wield the Dwarven Urgosh as both pike & halberd from behind locked shields in tight phalanx formations, with ranks dropping these weapons for warhammers or axes upon close quarters combat. Clerics & Rune Casters bolster the ranks, probably all equally armored. Casters are either crafters (mostly making items/using staves & wands to avoid arcane failure) or all learn the still spell feat, meaning they cast just fine in full plate.

Therefore, there is no obvious difference in targets, & no soft targets at all.

From behind the main lines cannons firing grapeshot or explosives lay waste to the enemy, compounded with heavy crossbow volleys.

The dwarves fight logically, pulling back but never breaking, pushing forward but never charging.

Your men are outfitted more for policing than battlefield ranks, so you are (obviously) without heavy artillery and explosives. Otherwise, they are fully prepared to lock shields and do battle.

LordDice
2012-11-02, 11:04 AM
I got 5 alch fire and 5 acid flasks if you want to chuck those Barthac, since I think you forgot to buy fire again.

Would've thought you'd remember after that mess with the swarm in the other game :P

LordDice
2012-11-02, 11:16 AM
Also...Cannons, now that you've mentioned those. I'm just gonna have to figure out how to get Sid to carry one around. Nothing says awesome like an earth elemental with a fuggin cannon full of grapeshot !.

Mr. X
2012-11-02, 05:20 PM
Heh, I figured one of you would say that.

Here's some stats:

The smaller cannons weigh between a thousand and fifteen hundred pounds, and fire a six pound shot. (grape shot is most common, but other ammunition types, such as ball or bomb shots, are available).

Firing the cannon accellerates the shot at roughly 1500ft/second, and produces a recoil force of around 3000 pounds.

So if you want to fire one of these from the hip, you'll need a strength upwards of 40 in order to not be squashed into jelly by the recoil.

All that being said, it's totally within the realm of possibility.

Larger models are also available, firing shots weighing 12, 24, and 42 pounds, with proportionate increases in weight and recoil. The increase in muzzle velocity is not as significant, but the increased devestation caused by the higher mass projectiles is.

Mr. X
2012-11-04, 05:40 PM
Actually, I misread the encumbrance charts. It looks like you'll only need a Strength of 35 to be able to soak the recoil.

Less than that, you'll still be able to fire it, but you'll be taking [fairly significant] damage from the recoil.

Recoil damage will be measured as damage from a falling object, with a weight of 3000lbs (for the above model) falling a number of feet equal to 35(or the minimum strength required to lift the weight) minus your Strength.

So if Sid, with his (I believe) 21 Strength, fires off one of these, he will take 15d6 damage from the recoil.

(1d6/200lbs per 10 ft, so 3000lbs=15d6, falling 14ft.)

If Tim the fighter, Str 15, tries to shoot it, he'll take 30d6 damage (15d6 x2 for falling 20ft)

Damage Reduction shall apply.

Does that make any sense to anyone besides me?

LordDice
2012-11-04, 06:24 PM
Indeed, makes sense to me.

I was initially thinking at least at lvl 10 Sid would reasonably be able to use it, being large and having quite a bit more strength.

Even then Enlarge person and a bulls strength might pull it off as well (not on Sid, but on an average soldier. Carrying the gun and supplies in a Bag of holding perhaps.

Also are these mystical powered cannon ? or is it actual Gunpowder ?

If it is Gunpowder I'd guess it's craft alchemy...and how much does that cost per pound ?

Some of us REALLY like explosions :D

Barthac
2012-11-04, 08:20 PM
Could always shape Sid into a cannon!

Mr. X
2012-11-05, 05:01 AM
Heh, his shape won't help him soak the damage. If he were an Iron Golem it might help, but... He's not.

FYI, I'm working on your IC post, and I love it when player's throw me curve balls, but Damn.

Taalkar jumping onto the Siege tower alters the scene in a way I hadn't foreseen, so big props to Barthac there.

I'll have a real IC post up tomorrow.

With regards to the cannons, most cannons are simply gunpowder and Iron. (Gunpowder is Alchemy DC 22 to create). It takes 1lb of powder to fire a 6 pound shot.) Gunpowder costs 50gp per pound.

Hybrid models, involving both mechanics and magics are available, but are typically significantly larger.

Mr. X
2012-11-07, 03:15 AM
A bit of a delay, I'm afraid.

I'm on a road trip for the next two days, and didn't have time to work up a decent post for you guys today. I'll try to get one up tomorrow, but it may not happen untill the next day.

Apologies, and thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

X

LordDice
2012-11-07, 10:21 PM
no worries dude, thanks for the heads up though

Mr. X
2012-11-09, 02:19 AM
Hey guys,

I've finally posted IC. Sorry again for the delay.

I'm afraid I don't have an updated map for you, but not much has changed, so it shouldn't matter too much.

The Western wall, towards the gate, has taken losses, and is in some trouble.

The Eastern wall is still holding it's own for the moment.

Go ahead and take your actions, and I'll have an updated map tomorrow.

Cheers,

X

Barthac
2012-11-10, 01:17 PM
Any chance I can get a little more description on the siege towers. I take it I am on the roof and the drawbridge is on a lower level with guys waiting to cross onto the battlements.

Specifically, when I get control of the roof is there anything I can even do to disable it?

LordDice
2012-11-10, 10:46 PM
I too have a question, is that Barb Druid on top of that other tower ? it looks like you changed one of the B's to a D.

Mr. X
2012-11-11, 01:26 AM
For LordDice: Yes, that's correct. A DC 18 Spellcraft check will allow you to know that he's casting 'Call Lightning', and that the already stormy weather conditions are making the spell significantly more potent. (3d10 damage if you get hit.)

For Barthac:
You are also correct. The towers stand 70 feet tall, and are fully enclosed. the four barbarians on the roof were archers taking potshots at the wall during the tower's approach.

From the roof, there isn't alot that can be done to stop the tower.

Here's what it looks like:
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/1352613451.jpg

The towers are being pulled by teams of four giants at their base.

Interestingly enough, the tower doesn't seem to be constructed of boards... Rather large, whole sections of natural wood that seem to have been grown into the proper shapes, and then been fitted togather in but a few pieces.

On some level, you think the trees might even still be alive...

To stop a tower... (spoiler alert! don't read if you want to come up with your own methods. These are just a few that could feasibly work.)


Killing the giant's pulling it would bring it to a halt for a good long while while the surrounding small folk rallied to try to push it forwards.

Cutting the ropes giants are pulling with would slow them some, untill the repositioned behind it to push.

Being made of wood they burn pretty well, as Karazi demonstrated with his Flaming Sphere. However, even with such ignition, it takes about a minute for the inferno to get going well enough that the barbs would abandon it.

Disabling the drawbridge would go a long way towards damaging it's effectiveness, forcing the barbarians within to make a jump check to get to the wall, rather than simply charging forth... It would also likely trap a good number of them like fish in a barrel to be picked off by friendly archers.

Mr. X
2012-11-11, 01:39 AM
For LordDice: Yes, that's correct. A DC 18 Spellcraft check will allow you to know that he's casting 'Call Lightning', and that the already stormy weather conditions are making the spell significantly more potent. (3d10 damage if you get hit.)

For Barthac:
You are also correct. The towers stand 70 feet tall, and are fully enclosed. the four barbarians on the roof were archers taking potshots at the wall during the tower's approach.

From the roof, there isn't alot that can be done to stop the tower.

Here's what it looks like:
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/1352613451.jpg

The towers are being pulled by teams of four giants at their base.

Interestingly enough, the tower doesn't seem to be constructed of boards... Rather it is made of large, whole sections of natural wood that seem to have been grown into the proper shapes, and then been fitted togather in but a few pieces.

On some level, you think the trees might even still be alive...

To stop a tower... (spoiler alert! don't read if you want to come up with your own methods. These are just a few that could feasibly work.)


Killing the giant's pulling it would bring it to a halt for a good long while while the surrounding small folk rallied to try to push it forwards.

Cutting the ropes giants are pulling with would slow them some, untill the repositioned behind it to push.

Being made of wood they burn pretty well, as Karazi demonstrated with his Flaming Sphere. However, even with such ignition, it takes about a minute for the inferno to get going well enough that the barbs would abandon it.

Disabling the drawbridge would go a long way towards damaging it's effectiveness, forcing the barbarians within to make a jump check to get to the wall, rather than simply charging forth... It would also likely trap a good number of them like fish in a barrel to be picked off by friendly archers.

LordDice
2012-11-11, 10:31 AM
Well with Karazi's distinct lack of knowledge in the area of spellcasting.. I'll just have to assume he's conducting a band or something with his stick-waving.

Mr. X
2012-11-13, 03:36 AM
Barthac, I've been waiting for you, but it just occurs to me that you might be waiting for me to post the Eagle results before you act...

I have just done so. It's all you baby.

LordDice
2012-11-13, 04:17 PM
Woo, go Eagle dude ! I didn't expect that to work well at all :D

Mr. X
2012-11-13, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I figured a Giant Eagle wouldn't so much ever just scratch a something with its talons when it could pick them up like a rabbit and drop them from the dizzying hights... They do get a +12 to grapple checks, after all.

A note on how I'm working grapple rules:

In the event of a grappling attack, make an attack as normal. If the attack hits, deal normal damage for the type of attack, and the grapple is initiated.

The target then makes a grapple resistance roll, DC=attacker's attack roll.

If he succeeds, he manages to wriggle free, and the grapple ends. If he fails, the attacker clamps down, and all secondary effects (such as additional damage, or being carried off a cliff) occur immediately.

In the next round, if the attacker wants to maintain the grapple, he makes another roll to set the resistance DC. This roll doesn't need to defeat the target's AC, as the target is already grappled. However a low roll will make t easier for the target to escape.

LordDice
2012-11-14, 03:16 PM
So it's kind of like free improved grab then, in a way. I presume that'll work for natural attacks automatically ? but not for a normal weapon I'd guess.

Mr. X
2012-11-14, 03:52 PM
Yes and yes. In the future, state you want to initiate the grapple, and roll the secondary effects immediately, to take effect should the resistance roll fail.

I'll need to re-write the grappling feats if either of you are interested in taking them. Probably they'll provide significant bonuses to your rolls, or secondary effects(like extra damage, or crippled limbs, or somesuch)... I just found the having to make a ton of extra contested rolls just to grab someone's wrist overly cumbersome. This way either it works or it doesn't with a single set of rolls each round.

Attacking while grappled shall work as written... I think... It hasn't ever actually come up, so I may need to read it better and revise the rules to fit this ruling, if it doesn't work the way I want it to. As I understand it, you just take a -4 penalty to your attack roll, and forgo your escape attempt.

Also, sorry for the delay in the IC post, I'm working on getting it to sound right. I should have it up later today.

LordDice
2012-11-17, 12:27 PM
What kinda damage did Sid take ?, just to keep tract.

Mr. X
2012-11-17, 12:32 PM
Oh, knew I forgot something.

Sid takes damage:[roll0]

LordDice
2012-11-19, 11:35 AM
Looks like ya missed the Eagle's resolution last round, might've been intentional with how ya wrote the fluff...but he definitely didn't bite the dust from only 10 damage.

Mr. X
2012-11-19, 11:41 AM
Ahh, you're right on both counts.

I was just thinking I'd missed it as I re-read your post.

The Eagle has 26hp total, so the hit was significant, but not fatal. (Though getting struck by lighting is a shocking event no matter how much actual damage it does, thus the plummeting.). You were absolutely correct to have him circle back around once he regained his senses.

I'll take care of both his actions in the next round, since he's less involved in the focal acrivity for now.

LordDice
2012-11-19, 11:45 AM
Excellent :D

Although I'm slightly disappointed I never got to do what I really summoned him for...Picking up Taalkar and dropping him on that druid :D

Someday I'm gonna get the chance to airdrop him like that !

Mr. X
2012-11-22, 04:57 PM
Regarding the Eagle... Yes and no.

In this case, the vines were grown from a handful of seeds (Plant Growth), and then animated via Entangle. There aren't properly enough to bring the eagle down, but they do prevent it from dropping the Druid...

... Unfortunately for him, however, while Druids have an obscene number of tricks, Featherfall isn't one of them. :-P

On a side note, a very happy Thanksgiving to the both of you, may good food and merriment abound!

Barthac
2012-11-23, 03:38 AM
I am assuming that the troll is safely out of combat (for now or permanently is no difference at the moment)

Any chance we can see the map.

Hmmm, was thinking of exercising a little dwarven prudence to fall back but forgot my flaw will make that almost impossible.

Mr. X
2012-11-24, 05:29 AM
Well, you could think of it less like 'Falling Back', and more like 'Charging the Other way'.

Here's the current Map:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/1353752832.jpg

Mr. X
2012-11-25, 02:14 AM
Hey guys, I just posted the next event. Sorry for the delay, I was thinking of giving you guys another round before moving into it, but then I realized there wasn't really anything for you to do... So there it is.

Enjoy.

Edit/: Ack, Taalkar, I ninja'd you. If you'd like, you may alter your post, or else feel free to smash a few skulls before Karazi calls you around. :-P

Barthac
2012-11-26, 08:34 AM
I posted at about the same moment you put up the next bit. How do you want to handle it? I can see that the posted can be deleted with Taalkar basically unconscious for one round. That works for me.

Mr. X
2012-11-26, 11:58 AM
Don't worry about it. You rolled we'll enough to put down a couple more barbs before you need to move.

LordDice
2012-11-28, 09:43 AM
Sorry bout the delay of game a bit, we spent yesterday just trying to figure out a game plan :/

Basically we're wondering how feasible it would be to rig the tunnel to collapse, now neither of us has knowledge architectural, but maybe some of those dwarves we brought with -shrug-.

I've got a stone shape still, capable of moving 15 cubic feet of stone around...which isn't much but might be enough to make it unstable and ready to fall.

One other question is how many rounds passed, just so we can keep tract of Taalkar's lesser vigor. It kinda sounds like we'll be waiting here for a few minutes at least.

Barthac
2012-11-28, 09:51 AM
I actually took a point in Craft(StoneCraft) that has to count for something.

Mr. X
2012-11-29, 02:55 AM
Ooh, clever.

It could be possible, and 'shape stone' is the right spell for the job.

The only trouble you might get into is in compromising the strength of the wall overall, in the event of a cave in.

Describe what you do, and I'll let it it stand. When it comes time to push the button and cause the cave-in, then give me a roll (of the most applicable skill you've got), and We'll see how it turns out.

It's been about three minutes since you left the top of the wall. You've got about three rounds before the ram makes it's first hit.

LordDice
2012-11-29, 12:19 PM
Barthac's got the detailed plan, so I'll let him type that up. since it's been 3 mins, you mind if I burn some charges on my vigor wand and get him and Sid topped off on health ? some 30 odd turns ought to be plenty

Mr. X
2012-11-29, 12:21 PM
Yeah, that's fine. Just keep track of how many you've got.

LordDice
2012-11-29, 04:50 PM
Cool, 2 more charges burned and Taalkar'll be at 43/45 hp and Sid'll be topped off. (I noticed you had put a 15 round vigor, but the wand would only be 10+1, I never cast the one I had actually memorized)

Mr. X
2012-11-30, 12:11 PM
Sounds good.

If you need me to clarify anything else, feel free to ask.

Barthac
2012-11-30, 12:47 PM
My understanding is the we and the other dwarfs are standing in the tunnel which is created by the outer curtain wall. The giants are beating down the gate from the north.

We want to rig at least part of the wall to fall on the invaders as the come through the gate. We will set up the troops (Hammar company and anyone else in the courtyard) in the courtyard in a defensive position. When the collapse happens we want the men to advance and hold a line just at the edge of the collapse.

The initial collapse should cause some damage to the first ones through (hopefully the giants). The next waves through will have to cross the rubble while being peppered with arrows and spells only to meet a line of angry dwarf. This should slow their advance somewhat. This should give the defenders an added advantage of being on flat ground while the invaders will have some difficulty with their footing on the rubble. Taalkar will be leading the defenders from the front line while Karazi leads the ranged units and support troops (casters) from behind.

Here goes a flat D20 roll for rigging the collapse. I will let you add modifiers as you see fit.

Some modifiers to consider: Taalkar - Profession(Stonecrafter)+1, Dwarven +2 to Craft checks involving stone, Aid another (We have a whole company of dwarves), Sid is an earth elemental (that has to count for something :smallbiggrin:)

[roll0]

LordDice
2012-11-30, 01:00 PM
Thought I'd chuck in my own Craft-Stoneworking roll although I imagine that more as a making items of stone kind of skill. [roll0]

Mr. X
2012-12-01, 02:23 AM
Wow, you two are polar opposites, aren't you. :-P

And Karazi, as Prince of the Falgan Clan, Stone Shaper, Forger and Keeper of the tunnels that bring wealth and prosperity to the Clan and Mythril Keep overall, whom they taught not just to carve the tunnels, but to make them works of art, I'm a bit shocked you never found a cause to put any points into Knowledge(Architecture and Engineering)...

... Perhaps it was lucky your clan was slaughtered when they were... Perhaps when the tunnels collapsed upon your departure, it was not due to any prophetic rhetoric, so much that they'd been ready to go any day, and only by dumb luck was it that everyone happened to already be dead when they got buried by a hundred thousand tons of stone...

Not to give you too much **** for it, but you have to admit, there's a certain poetry to it.

That all being said, you did get a particularly badass roll, so that's gotta count for something. ;-)

On topic, I'm stewing for a moment... I should have a real post up for you tomorrow evening.

LordDice
2012-12-01, 10:28 AM
I actually did have max points in Stoneworking before I found that prestige class >_< sadly even I fall to the urge to maximize a bit and Craft Stoneworking had to go.

Honestly didn't even think of Architectural though...just kinda slipped my mind, considering the backstory that's pretty laughable.

So yeah...someone else made em strong. Karazi made them artwork :D


Also I was going for a somewhat mystical reasoning on the tunnels collapsing when they left, like the stone itself couldn't maintain without the clan living there.

Still gonna be laughing at a dwarf of tunnel making descent that can't build anything :o

Mr. X
2012-12-01, 01:32 PM
Heh, no worries. More than once I've built characters who's concept was founded upon a skill that I ultimately forgot to put points in, so really I can't throw any stones.

It's always funny when it happens though.

Besides, you did put 2 points into Stone working, which, even if its only for item crafting, must hold some knowledge of how to carve the block to be shaped from the living earth without bringing it all down on top of you, so I'll let it fly.

Mr. X
2012-12-04, 03:28 AM
Hey guys, sorry for the delay, the sky sort of fell on me at work over the last few days, and so I haven't gotten much done.

I have, however, figured out how the next scene is going to work, and so should have a real post up for you tomorrow.

Cheers,

X

Mr. X
2012-12-05, 04:48 AM
Finally, I've got the IC post up.

Enjoy.

LordDice
2012-12-05, 11:53 PM
Discussing options here, regarding the wizards/sorc. What spells are they loaded with. and are they actually using still spell ? that would mean basically 1 lvl 1 spell each, maybe 2 depending on their bonus spell.

Or did you want for us to pick some spells for them ? cause I've got nooooo problem with that, considering the heh, Giant problem in front of us.

Mr. X
2012-12-06, 05:33 AM
You can choose their spells if you like.

Two of them have wands with 20 charges of the following spells of your choice: Magic Missile, Acid Arrow, Ray of Enfeeblement, or Flaming Hands.

(That means the two characters each have one wand with one of the above spells.)

The third had a wand of Mage Armor, which has been expended buffing up the front line troops.

Mr. X
2012-12-07, 02:30 AM
Forgot to mention, they each have sufficient Intelligance/Charisma to grant them 1 bonus lv1 spell.

Mr. X
2012-12-07, 02:46 AM
Also, (I'm sure you guys are already keeping this in mind, but I'll say it anyway.)

When you got up this morning, you were expecting to be doing grunt police work, rather than fighting a battle... The spells your wizards prepared this morning should be chosen with that in mind.

The scorcerer can do whatever he wants.

LordDice
2012-12-11, 07:24 PM
Did we miss any info ya needed ?

Mr. X
2012-12-12, 02:52 AM
No, you're good. Sorry for the delay, I just posted IC.

Just FYI, my performance just opened it's run this weekend, and we're running through Dec. 23, so my posting will probably be a bit spuradic.

Thanks for the patience, and Merry Christmas,

Cheers,

X

Barthac
2012-12-12, 09:35 AM
The giant missed his slam attack. I assume that I can attack again.

What kind of performance?

Mr. X
2012-12-13, 02:55 AM
You're good to go.

Karazi, I'm sorry, I neglected to include your actions entirely in the post. I've edited it to include them now.

As for the performance, I'm a ballet dancer. It's "The Nutcracker" ('tis the season, after all.)

Unfortunately, I just tore a muscle in my calf in rehearsal today, so I may have a fair bit more time on my hands over the next few days.

Barthac
2012-12-13, 11:05 AM
It's hard to remember the little druid and his pebble when someone like Taalkar is around? :smallbiggrin:

I imagine torn calf muscles and ballet do NOT play nicely.

LordDice
2012-12-13, 12:56 PM
Ugh, hope your calf heals up quick, that sounds entirely too painful.

Mr. X
2012-12-13, 01:30 PM
Heh, thanks. The prognosis is actually pretty hopeful. I got an ultra-sound scan done on it last night, and it didn't show any major tears. So while I can't walk very well at the moment, there's hope I may be back in action by the end of the week.

Also, you may take your actions.

Mr. X
2012-12-17, 04:44 AM
Hey guys, sorry for the slow response, I've been caught up in physical therapy trying to get my calf better.

I'm making good progress, though, so there's hope I'll be back on stage next weekend.

In celebration of this fact, I have just smashed Taalkar into a bloody pulp (I think). :-P

It's your action guys, make it good.

Barthac
2012-12-17, 05:29 PM
Hey guys, sorry for the slow response, I've been caught up in physical therapy trying to get my calf better.

I'm making good progress, though, so there's hope I'll be back on stage next weekend.

In celebration of this fact, I have just smashed Taalkar into a bloody pulp (I think). :-P

It's your action guys, make it good.

Taalkar pulp... what kind of paper does that make?

LordDice
2012-12-17, 05:41 PM
Excellent news about the Calf :D


and probably some sort of bland copy-paper...why oh why did you have to switch from stonefoot stance..

Barthac
2012-12-17, 05:43 PM
why oh why did you have to switch from stonefoot stance..

6 damage! SIX!

Barthac
2012-12-17, 06:02 PM
Let me say that I am really enjoying the epicness of this campaign. Given the battle so far I can hardly believe it is only 3 PAGES LONG!

I wanted to ask if you considered the following factors in your recent smashing of Taalkar:

Taalkar is no longer a medium creature. Enlarge Person makes him Large size. This has caused two technicalities.

Since the giant is not larger than Taalkar can he still use awesome blow on taalkar
This reduces Taalkars AC vs the giant by 2 when he was in stonefoot stance. This giant still missed its slam attack in round 1

Wouldn't a beam be an improvised weapon and subject to a -4 to hit.
what happened to the 5 strength damage from the Ray of enfeeblement?
Did Taalkar get a reflex save on Awesome blow?

Mr. X
2012-12-17, 08:09 PM
All excellent points. Here's my reasoning:

Regarding Greatclub/improvised weapon: This was mostly a flavor choice. All giants are proficient with greatclubs, and possess the weapon focus(Greatclub) feat, and so it would be presumed that no giant would ever leave home without one. However, I liked the feel of him picking up a fallen beam, over unhooking a telephone pole from his belt (both of which are essentially the same in craftsmanship), and so allowed him to do so without penalty.

Regarding improvised weapons in general, I like improvised weapons, and so am less inclined to penalize you for using them. As a rule of thumb, if you can argue that the improvised weapon is sufficiently similar to a weapon your are proficient with to be used in the same manner (say a broken bottle and a dagger), you may be considered proficient in its use.

As to the rest, Gortune Boulder Breaker (the guy you are fighting), is exceptionally large and strong, even by giant's standards. The ray of Enfeeblement did, infact, weaken him significantly (Str 29-24).

Regarding the Awesome Blow, despite the fact that you are now Large Size, you are still a Dwarf, while he is still a Giant. As such, I ruled that he could still knock you back, but that any extra damage from the knock back would not be applied to you... (Only to those you landed upon.)

I admit, I am afraid I neglected to allow you a reflex save. (I forgot that there was one.)

Rather than back pedaling, you may roll away from the second blow (escaping the additional damage), and get to your feet without provoking any AoOs... Providing, of course, that you are still conscious after the first blow... Which I'm pretty sure you are.

Does that all sound reasonable?

LordDice
2012-12-19, 01:03 PM
All totally reasonable I think...just forgot to reply with an answer. I've really enjoyed the epic feel of everything so far and this just adds to it !

Maybe getting his face smashed in'll teach him to stay in stonefoot stance :P

Barthac
2012-12-20, 10:13 PM
Falling damage on the dwarves:

[roll0]

Mr. X
2012-12-20, 10:52 PM
Mmm-mmmh, dwarf jelly.

Barthac
2012-12-20, 10:53 PM
Tastes like chicken jam.

LordDice
2012-12-20, 10:53 PM
I'm sure the guys getting the wounded pulled out have mops !

Mr. X
2012-12-23, 02:27 PM
Hey guys, sorry for the delay. We're in the final stretch of nutcracker, and I've been crazy busy the last couple of days.

Our last show is today, however, so I'll hopefully manage to get an actual post up later tonight. If I don't, I'll definitely have one up tomorrow.

I hope you guys are having a great Holliday season,

Merry Christmas,

X

LordDice
2012-12-23, 08:37 PM
Yes indeed, a good but busy busy season all around I suspect. No worries on the posting.

Mr. X
2012-12-28, 03:11 AM
Gah!! I'm finally back.

Sorry for the huge delay, the Holiday celebrations left me rather incapacitated the last several days, I'm afraid.

I've just posted IC, so hopefully we can get going again.

Once again my sincerest apologies for the delay.

Happy New Year,

X

Mr. X
2013-01-01, 06:39 AM
And 2013 is upon us. Happy new year guys!!

LordDice
2013-01-01, 06:53 PM
Woo ! happy new year indeed :D

Mr. X
2013-01-03, 06:48 PM
Hey guys, I'm afraid Taalkar and I have been waiting for each other again.

I just posted results for Karazi. Talkar, if you'd like to take two actions back to back, just so we can keep moving, you may.

Barthac
2013-01-04, 01:36 PM
Sorry, Dice reminded me yesterday. I will put up the necessary posts this evening.

Barthac
2013-01-15, 09:09 PM
OK well... I have been a bit busy. Back to at least one post per day I promise (or dice will kick me)

Mr. X
2013-01-15, 11:25 PM
Heh, no worries. This time of year is always a little spotty. I'll probably be in and out a little bit too.

On a side note, I must point out that times must be truly dire when Talkar is the voice of reason in the party. :-P

Mr. X
2013-01-21, 03:51 AM
Have I still got you guys?

If there's anything you'd like me to clarify, feel free to ask.

Hope life's treating you both well.

Cheers,

X

Barthac
2013-01-21, 07:51 AM
For some reason I stopped getting update emails on the IC thread. Will post today or this evening. Back to a once a day routine.

LordDice
2013-01-21, 10:34 AM
Getting Barthac topped off in the meantime as we're resting a bit, he had a Vigor cast already, that should get him +15. and I'll burn 2 wand charges here to get him full.

Mr. X
2013-01-21, 03:30 PM
Sounds good.

Mr. X
2013-01-22, 01:12 AM
Taalkar, I'll wait for you to post before doing Captain Bejal's reply.

LordDice
2013-01-27, 10:51 PM
Okay, do we need to figure out how to move -all- the heavily wounded ? or just the dwarves ?

I was thinking at first you just meant the dwarves and hit them with some lesser vigor from the wand. and then reread it and I'm just not sure.

Are we just leaving with our little dwarven contingent, or leading the entire Evac as well ?

if we do have to handle all the heavily wounded, are there any clerics among them ? I don't think we had any in the dwarf band...but maybe some stationed there or something.

Mr. X
2013-01-27, 11:23 PM
Ahh, yes Bejal would like you to lead the complete evacuation.

There are a fair number of clerics and healers taking care of the wounded, but they've been tapped out of magics for some time, and are down to bandages and herbs.

You can patch up your own men easily enough, it's the rest you need to worry about...

... Of course, leaving them all behind is always an option...

LordDice
2013-01-28, 01:15 AM
how many heavily wounded are we looking at ? I mean I'm no cold hearted guy, I'd burn through a wand to save as many as possible

Mr. X
2013-01-28, 02:14 AM
Of those whom moving would certainly kill... 53.

Of those that moving may be dangerous for, 86.

Mr. X
2013-01-28, 02:41 AM
It may be possible to move them a short distance safely. Perhaps hiding them in an out of the way corner of the city while the hordes pass through...

Mr. X
2013-01-29, 03:22 AM
Also, I neglected to mention this earlier, you each gain 6300 Exp for your deeds in the Assault of Citadel.

Barthac
2013-01-30, 09:33 AM
Just a quick FYI Mr. X.

I have a huge case coming up for work and have been consumed with prep. Dice has been doing an excellent job covering for me and we have talked about a plan of action coming up.

I have been trying to keep up and what I miss Dice lets me know. I am still in the game and still interested in this VERY fascinating story.

LordDice
2013-01-30, 12:18 PM
And if you're wondering why neither of us has bugged you with the typical questions regarding leveling up...it's because I looked at the chart wrong and kinda thought we were both short :P

Mr. X
2013-01-30, 12:52 PM
No worries, Barthac, my life has been sort of all over the place too. I'm glAd to hear I've still got you.

As for Level Up, you should have needed only 5000 to hit the next level, so fire away.

Mr. X
2013-01-31, 03:06 AM
The column is slow moving, and so it will take 7 days to reach Ork Watch.

In three days, you'll come to the trade town of Long Road(on the map it's the first point on the road south of Citadel, but it's un-named) but it is to small and insecure to be a viable place to stop. You might be well advised to consider evacuating them as well.

You may also wish to consider sending word to the Ironjaw, to inform him of what events have occurred.

If there are any actions you'd like to take over the next few days, feel free to take them.

As usual, if you have any questions, or would like me to clarify any points, feel free to ask.

LordDice
2013-01-31, 03:25 PM
HP roll for levelup in Stonespeaker Guardian (Races of Stone pg 127)

[roll0]

LordDice
2013-01-31, 03:27 PM
rofl, tripped up by the lamest things. I never noticed Stone form had a 13 con requirement. Guess I'll have to leave that prestige class for later.

Mr. X
2013-01-31, 03:44 PM
You can cast 'Bear's Endurance', can't you? Just craft yourself a magic item for a +1 bonus, and I'll let it slide.

If for some reason your Con drops below 13, you'll lose some associated class feature, but otherwise I'll let it fly.

EDIT/: Just a note on HP rolls, if you roll a 1, you may re-roll. (If you roll a 2, you're stuck with it. :-P)

Mr. X
2013-02-01, 03:40 AM
As you guys ponder your next move, here's a few things regarding the barbarians you know. (In no particular order or relevance.)

Barbarian tribes vary in size and makeup. There are humans, orks, goblins, gnolls, dwarves, halflings, etc.

All tribes are generally hostile to all others, and warring amongst tribes is almost continual. North of the Ancient's Way, 'cities' rise and fall with such frequency that they are rarely named (at least to southerners), much less marked on any map.

The barbarians worship nature spirits and gods, and their magics are derived by such. Their casters are Druids, Rangers, or Sorcerers. Without a schooling system, wizards are rare.

Beluvah, the holy city, has always been a religious center for all gods, spirits, races, and creeds, for longer than there are historical records for. It believed that the geological location is perhaps significant to the gods, but if it is, no one quite knows why.

Nearly everyone on the continent has made pilgrimage to Beluvah at one point or another in their lives. Both of you have been there, though it was before the fall of your clan. In your subsequent overworld wanderings, you likely passed through it again.

You particularly remember the immense gold dome of the Great Temple, and the soaring spire of Lathander's High Tower.

Whether because of their proximity to nature, or simply because they breed like rabbits, there are more magic-users per capita in the north.

The War Parties fielded by any tribe or group of tribes (tenuous alliances do exist) range anywhere from twenty warriors to upwards of a couple thousand.

The army you just faced numbered in the hundreds of thousands.

By all rights, they should have been killing each other.

What they'll do once they're through Citadel is worth worrying about.

Just some food for thought.

LordDice
2013-02-01, 07:52 PM
Forgot to say, but on the first 2 days on the road I'm switching to all heals spells, get those more wounded a little help.

back to normal coming into Longroad though.

Mr. X
2013-02-04, 09:30 PM
Hey guys, sorry for the delay.

I'm ashamed to admit, I downloaded a gem-matching game on my phone this weekend, and it proceeded to enslave me body mind and soul for the last couple of days.

I have, at last, cast off the shackles (mostly because I got all the power-ups I was interested in), and am back in the land of the living.

I've just posted IC, so feel free to start taking actions, and if you'd like me to clarify anything, feel free to ask.

Hope life is treating you both well, and Barthac, I hope you win your case!

Cheers,

X

Barthac
2013-02-04, 11:46 PM
Thank you.

Turns out they settled. Or agreed to settle. Eventually.

Either way life returns to the normal tidal sways.

Mr. X
2013-02-04, 11:49 PM
Awesome, welcome back.

And epic monologue, btw.

Barthac
2013-02-11, 01:59 PM
@Mr. X - I hope you aren't waiting on me. It's hard to really put something into a conversation between "the party" and the npc. I will let Karazi be the voice, for now.

Mr. X
2013-02-12, 01:20 AM
Hey guys,

Sorry for the huge delay, I'm afraid I've had a really nasty cold the last couple of days, and it put me pretty completely out of commission. I'm feeling much better today, though, so I should be more regular in posting.

I've just posted IC, so feel free to start taking actions.

Hope life is treating you both well enough,

Cheers,

X

LordDice
2013-02-14, 07:24 PM
Sorry for the delay, should have a post up tonight

Mr. X
2013-02-14, 07:57 PM
No worries. I took my sweet time too. :-P

LordDice
2013-02-15, 01:02 AM
Do the refugees and evacee's have the cash to hire some protection or get them within the city walls ?

I'm kind of leaning towards, hey we got em to somewhat safety...it's time to take our dwarves back to the Mote

Mr. X
2013-02-15, 01:26 AM
Their gold is all in private stores. Some people have some, others have none.

With a little persuasion, they will probably be willing to pool their funds, and will likely have enough to hire a cheap guard patrols to cover them for a few weeks at least.

On a side note, all told it's been about six days since you left Citadel.

Mr. X
2013-02-16, 02:36 AM
Hey guys, I just got home from work, and am working on the IC post as we speak.

In the mean time, however, here's something I forgot to mention earlier.

In the supplies that came from Citadel, Captain Bejal had included a fair bit of gold to help keep the refugees in supplies and rations. Among that, was a bag set aside for you and your men for your services in defense of the city. After division by rank and deed (as is dwarven custom), your share comes to 2500 gold pieces. Quite a generous sum.

If you'd like to re-supply, Ork Watch is a very martially oriented city, and weapons and armor and standard goods are readily a available.

Magic is less available. There are some enchanted weapons, armors, and trinkets to be had, but they are expensive, and limited in selection:

Spell scrolls/wands and similar are available, but you cannot get above 1st level spells. You may only purchase 5 such items total.

Magic arms and armor are available, but nothing over a +1 enhancement.

Alchemical goods are available, but you may not purchase more than 5 of any single item.

Wonderous Items are available, but again, nothing over a 1st level spell, or a +1 bonus.

A DC 20 Gather Information check will yield the locations of the 'right' people and places, and the above limitations shall be doubled. (i.e. +2 bonuses, 2nd level spells, and limit 10 on alchemical items, etc.)

You'll pass through Stone Watch on your way to Beluvah, unless you choose to avoid it, and may stock up there as well.

While the scenery is different, availability of supplies remains the same, with the exception that alchemical items are a bit more common, and purchases are limited to 10, rather than 5.

That all being said, feel free to go shopping.

Also, tell me what route you are taking, and how you are spending nights on the road, watch rotation, etc., and each of you give me Listen and Spot Checks.

Come to think of it, I'll need to know all that before I make the IC post.

Mr. X
2013-02-16, 04:03 AM
Also note:

You don't need to finalize all the stuff you buy before pressing on, if its taking you forever. Just make sure you pay for your stuff before you use it. ;-)

Barthac
2013-02-17, 09:47 PM
Mr.X, with the sudden availability of mercenaries in Ork Watch, what would be the cost to hire 2 or 3 bodyguards for the road. Really just to help with watch rotations and make us less of a target.

Also, what would be involved with having my axe enchanted. Is that a possibility?

LordDice
2013-02-17, 09:49 PM
Okay, sometime I'm gonna have to say Karazi found an hour or two to tinker and craft a little bangle of +2 con. per your suggestion earlier.


+2 Con item, 4000 base market price.

-30% for crafting a druid only item.
-50 for crafting it myself.

So 1400 gold, 1-2 hour creation time (presumably I can do this while we were on the road)

I've got my hp roll for that class already up, I'll finish the levelup and item buying...I'll tack it on it a few here

LordDice
2013-02-18, 12:20 AM
-750 for another wand of lesser vigor
-100 for 4 alch fire and 2 acid flasks to restock

1428 gold remaining. I may end up making something else, or buying.

Mr. X
2013-02-18, 01:35 AM
@ Barthac:

Yes and yes. Though for your axe, you may be better off having Karazi enchant it for you.

Mercenaries are available at the following rates:
Lv1 Warriors or Adepts(NPC classes) @ 3gp per week.
Lv2 Warriors or [email protected] 6gp per week.

Lv1 Fighters or Rogues(PC Classes) @ 6gp per week.
Lv2 Fighters or [email protected] 12gp per week.

Caster classes are unavailable for hire.

Regarding your Axe, finding a wizard or sorcerer to do a custom job for you is going to take some doing.

Firstly, you must succeed at a DC 15 Gather Information Check, or provide 100gp worth of bribes to find someone at all.

Once you've found them, they shall require the full Base Price of the enchantment, plus 10gp per point of Exp. they are required to invest.

As such, getting your axe a +1 Enhancement shall cost 2800gp, in addition to bribes. (1(bonus squared) x 2000gp + 80(exp: 2000/25) x 10gp)

If you can talk Karazi into taking the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat for his 6th level feat, he can do it for you for less than half that cost. (Though a 'family rate' may boost that cost considerably if you don't scratch his back just the right way. :-P)

Mr. X
2013-02-18, 04:08 PM
Regarding Mercenaries:

If you're willing to put up the gold, you may hire members of more famed companies as well.

These warriors are experienced, and well worth the extra gold.

The companies you may hire from are as follows:

The Ashen Company, and the Bloody Hands.

These the warriors you hire from these companies shall be 3rd level PC classes, and equipped with the various benefits supplied by their employers.

They cost 300gp per week.

You'll need to state your business at the companies' offices, and they shall assign chosen members to you.

Barthac
2013-02-18, 06:42 PM
Finally leveling Taalkar

HP:[roll0]

Mr. X
2013-02-18, 08:13 PM
Oh, I've been meaning to note this somewhere, but I keep forgetting.

Mounted, it will take you about a week to get to Beluvah. A little longer if you stop in Stone Watch.

You have ponies from Citadel, but you'll need to provide mounts for any mercenaries you hire.

Mercenaries from the elite troops shall have their own horses.

-------------

As you level up, craft items, and make your purchases, there are only a few things I need from you before I make the next IC post:

Where do you do your shopping? (Ork Watch or Stone Watch)

If you hire mercenaries, how many do you hire, and where do you hire them from?

Each of you please make a Spot and Listen check. (I'll take care of the mercs.)

Barthac
2013-02-18, 10:05 PM
We are currently shopping in Ork Watch.

We are going to hire 2 level 2 fighters, a level 2 rogue and a level 2 Adept (Dice wants an adapt with a familiar). We can pay half up front (42 GP a piece).

We will buy 4 ponies for them to use (120GP).

Also, I would like Karazi to make two items, if acceptable:

Karazi is going to make me a Belt of Warblade's Constitution (+1) (350GP) (I will fluff it up a bit later.)

I also want to have him make Boot's of Warblade's Strides. (Boots with Continuous Longstrider. Base Price = 1 x 1 x 2000GP. -50% for crafted and -30% for required Warblade class. 700GP)

Barthac
2013-02-18, 10:07 PM
Finally, spot and listen checks

Spot:[roll0]
Listen:[roll1]

LordDice
2013-02-18, 10:08 PM
And my checks !

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

LordDice
2013-02-18, 10:12 PM
also, I'm not forgetting. I'm subtracting my 280 xp from all these item crafts

Mr. X
2013-02-18, 10:55 PM
Excellent.

Your Adept can cast 3 0-level spells and 1-1st level spell. As you'll be on the road for awhile, you may choose which spells you want him to prepare.

His Familiar is a Cat.

Barthac
2013-02-19, 01:12 AM
For the adept let's take Create Water. Cure Minor Wounds, Cure Minor Wounds and Obscuring Mist.

Lets have the adept and a fighter on 1st watch. Taalkar and the rogue on 2nd watch. Karazi and the Rogue on third watch. We also have Sid on watch on night to keep everyone company (and hold our drinks)

LordDice
2013-02-19, 01:13 AM
I forgot to roll for Sid !
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Barthac
2013-02-19, 01:24 AM
Forgot about a few potions...

5 cure light wounds
2 cure moderate wounds

Mr. X
2013-02-19, 01:44 AM
Sounds good. I'm starting the IC post now, and should have it up soon.

Mr. X
2013-02-19, 02:09 AM
Stats for your Mercenaries:

Karl Woolhorn (Fighter)

Str: [roll0] (+2)
Dex:[roll1] (-1)
Con:[roll2] (+2)
Int: [roll3] (+3)
Wis: [roll4] (-3)
Char:[roll5] (-1)

HP: [roll6] +4 (13)
AC: 13

Main Attack:
Double handed blow: 1d20+5, 2d3+3 damage.

Feats:
Weapon Focus(Broadsword), Power Attack, Cleave.

Gear:
Chain Shirt (+4 AC), Broadsword (2d3 damage), trail rations, bedroll




Morgan Coalman (Fighter)

Str: [roll7] (+2)
Dex:[roll8] (+1)
Con:[roll9] (+0)
Int: [roll10] (+2)
Wis: [roll11] (+0)
Char:[roll12] (+1)

HP: [roll13]
AC: 17

Main Attack:
Spear Charge: 1d20+7, 2d8+4 damage. -2 AC

Feats:
Weapon Focus(Spear), Power Attack, Improved Overrun

Gear:
Spear (1d8 damage), Large Shield(+2 AC), chain shirt (+4 AC), Trail Rations, Bedroll.


Slim Dornson (Rogue)


Str: [roll14] (+0)
Dex:[roll15] (+3)
Con:[roll16] (+2)
Int: [roll17] (+2)
Wis: [roll18] (-1)
Char:[roll19] (+3)

HP: [roll20] +4 (10)
AC: 17

Main Attack:
Bowshot: 1d20+4, 1d4 Damage.

Feats:
Sneak Attack(+1d6), Trapfinding, Evasion, Weapon Finesse

Gear:
Chain Shirt(+4 AC), Shortbow (1d4 Damage), Dagger (1d4 Damage), trail rations, bedroll.


Arrin Mornsong (Adept, Acolyte of Hextor)


Str: [roll21] (+3)
Dex:[roll22] (+0)
Con:[roll23] (+1)
Int: [roll24] (+2)
Wis: [roll25] (+3)
Char:[roll26] (+0)

HP= [roll27] +2 (6)
AC: 10

Main Attack:
Beatdown: 1d20+4, 1d6+4 damage.

Feats:
Power Attack, Summon Familiar (Cat)

Gear:
Quarter Staff (1d6 Damage), dagger (1d4 Damage), Acolyte's robes, trail rations, bedroll.

Spells:
Create Water, Cure Minor Wounds x2, Obscuring Mist.

Mr. X
2013-02-19, 02:54 AM
Completed Merc stats, incase you saw them before they were finished.

Edit/: Also, I'm ruling that all Piercing polearms (and most may be used as piercing) deal double damage when charging. Lances will deal triple.

That all done, I'm afraid it's bed time for me here, so I won't get the IC post up untill tomorrow.

Mr. X
2013-02-19, 04:22 AM
In lieu of a proper IC post, here is a legend from the time of the conquest of Great Gate.

This is written by my good friend Bratovich, who's been keeping up with this story as it has grown, and been invaluable in the bouncing around of ideas and such.

Enjoy.

Tale of the Wanderer

The sun rose over vast fields of grain. Waving gently in the wind, lit with a golden sheen by the grace of Pelor, the bounty promised before the labour of harvest was always a treasured sight.


Jahiran sighed with the heavy burden upon him. It was a sight his family had known for generations, one that they would lose forever this day. The voracious armies of Great Gate had defeated the conscripts of the hamlets liege-lord, reaping all of the young men from his village & neighbors alike. Now the way was ripe for the victors to collect the spoils...the lands, the harvest, even the croft farmers themselves. Sold into slavery most like, or...worse.


Jahiran was wise with the weight of his years, yet found it difficult to imagine what level of depraved brutality urged the battalions of Great Gate onward. It was known that the profane priesthood of Nerul road with the conquerors, offering up more souls to their dread lord, & it was known that villages such as this one were razed, people left to starve, enslaved, or simply butchered. But why? What darkness thrives in the soul of men that they would conduct themselves so? These thoughts & others warred inside his heart as he walked the rows to the crossroads at the edge of his fields.


Wide & ancient, this was the path the coming invaders would travel. Merchants & the liege-lords taxmen said you could ride all the way to Timaril & beyond. Jahiran had never left the croft he called home, with his wife & daughters, now grown. The wonders of the world were not for a man such as him to know. As he approached the crossroads, a subtle, recurring sound became apparent, growing as he approached.


Sskkkiiiirrrch....ssskkkiiirrrch...ssskkkiiirrch.. .


Ah, he thought to himself. No wonders beyond this one. Perched upon a stone, the silent warrior tirelessly honed the edge of it's dread blade. The dark, rippled surface forged of some metal far stronger than any iron, as Jahiran had seen firsthand. No one knew whence the Knight had come, he had simply appeared during an attack by ruthless brigands, slaying them all to a man. He remembered it well, the screams of dying horses & the fires in the night.


Remembered it well, despite the last 20 years.


When it became apparent that the unnatural warrior was not leaving it's self-assigned post at the crossroads, there was quite stir among the village elders. Having seen it's skill, none were willing to try & chase it off. Eventually it was decided that Jahiran's family, holding the field closest to the crossroads, would keep watch on the Wraith-Knight. So it was that the farmer, once struck with awe & fear, would eventually come to consider the silent guardian as a friend.


Taking his rest on a nearby stone, the farmer simply watched for a time, as he was wont to do. Even under the morning sun, the golden flicker of the mystical markings could be discerned. The Knight had never assaulted another in these long years, & that was hardly any surprise: so fearsome was the executioner's presence, all would be-raiders had simply sought other avenues. Jahiran had watched the warrior practice it's battle skills for days at a time, never resting. Other times, it was little more than a scarecrow, ravens hopping about it's feet.


“Old friend...I fear your long vigil may be for naught. Though you have stood guard these long years, even an enigma such as yourself cannot hope to gainsay a legion of soldiers.” The Knight remained silent, as ever, steadily stroking the blade with the whetstone.


Sskkkiiiirrrch....ssskkkiiirrrch...ssskkkiiirrch.. .


“It is my wish to live my years well, to see my grandchildren dance at the harvest festival. To close my eyes an old man who has lived upright in the eyes of Gods & Men. Yet that may not come to pass. There is nowhere for us to run, no refuge that would see us through the winter...little Illsa might be spared as a camp follower...” choking up a moment, he continued, “But that is the way of the world, ordained by Good & Wicked Gods alike. A man cannot escape what fate has written for him. Yet, if I could sway the course of what is to come, I would bid you end your vigil now, my friend. Long you have guarded us, & there will be others in the world who might yet need the keen justice of your sword. I would bid you go, preserving some small spark of what is good in the world.”


Sskkkiiiirrrch....ssskkkiiirrrch...ssskkkiiirrch.. .


Jahiran shook his head sadly, expecting little else. Rising, Jahiran looked to the horizon down the road from whence their doom would arrive. They were simple people, with simple needs...why did the great Lords & Kingdoms need bring this strife to their door?


Sadness welling up again, Jahiran was surprised to find a tear winding down his tanned, bearded face. Brushing it away with a hand calloused by a lifetime of hard labor. “This is farewell then, my silent friend. Die well.”


With that he began the long journey to the village commons.


A week passed without incident, & then another. Much wailing & wringing of hands accompanied this time: the intolerable waiting. As the swine to the slaughter, the villagers could only wait until the appointed hour, speaking resistance in their cups, or forlornly praying that the Baron might rally his host; that mayhap the force might be delayed until the snows begin, sparing them for another season. It was yet another wearisome morning when the whistling arrow of young Roiben spoke of the advancing legion; the time had finally come.


Torn by emotions despite the long wait, Jahiran was at a loss: As husband & father he should stand with his wife & children when the invaders came, yet he knew he was not brave enough to watch his children used by the cruel, hardened men even now marching on the road. Perhaps he should take his sickle & fight? Better that death than the dismal fate reserved for him & his kin...he still had strength in his weathered hands. But what use one man's strength against the encroaching force? It was then he decided his fate. His silent friend had guarded them all these years without payment or gratitude, Jahiran would bear witness to his final stand.


Moving hastily through the fields he had known since a boy, Jahiran arrived at the crossroads. Already, it would seem battle had been given; Horses lay dead, legs severed, throats cut. A dozen men wearing the light armor of Imperial scouts lay dead around the Wraith Knight. Seemingly none the worse for wear, the Knight stood ready, blade flickering with golden fire, blood tracing arcs in the dust, describing the grisly path it had carved only minutes before. A mad, desperate flicker of hope dared make itself known to the old farmer: could this avenging angel hold back the crushing tide? Truly, over the long decades, Jahiran had never seen his equal...


Yet the very ground shook under the measured tread. Stretching to the horizon lie the Imperial Host of Great Gate, ancestral seat of the First Men. A mailed fist of steel, that even the Elves could not withstand. Yet, the road only allowed a dozen men to walk abreast...could it be held? By one tireless, deathless knight? Seeing the carnage wrought, the vanguard called a halt, horns sounding down the massed ranks. A ranking captain riding high on an armored destrier shouts in the oddly accented speech of the far North. While Jahiran loses the exact words, crouched behind a stout oak as he is, the intent is clear: Shields lock into a stout wall bristling with lowered pikes, & the host advances on the lone swordsman.


Turning slightly, the Knight slowly, deliberately scratches a line in the road with the tip of his blade. The act of bravado is lost on the soldiers, & barely noticed by the arrogant captain, yet the farmer knows it well: None Shall Pass. “Gods be good”, breathes Jahiran, “He truly means to fight them all.” Pressing in, the Knight retreats in measured steps, the massive blade swaying easily before him, as a viper waiting to strike. Holding his breath, Jahiran watches the phalanx cross the line.


Swift. So terribly swift. Taking a step into the pikes, the Knight twists, stepping between the thrusts as speartips shear sparks off his breastplate. The blade is suddenly aloft, spun in one hand, cutting a vicious arc above the heads of soldiers & the lone defender alike...shields raise to guard against the terrific blow that must follow...yet does not.


As the sword completes it's circle, so to does the Knight continue to twist, seizing the blade in both hands & compressing like a spring; in a blinding spiral the Great Sword whistles in a low arc under the raised shields. There, it strikes greaves, flesh, & bone, parting all three with ease. Following through with the strike, three men fall in a gout of blood. Yet the Knight has only just begun. As even hardened soldiers recoil from the sudden break in their lines, the sword continues to reap a harvest. Pikes lay shattered, shields cleft, bodies lie strewn upon the road, & the imperial banner itself is soiled by the arterial spray from a neatly severed head.


In hiding, Jahiran realizes he has still not yet drawn a breath.


Falling back, the Knight stops at the drawn line, again regaining it's patient stance. Disorder reigns for a moment, as the captain calls for archers. Lining up in ranks, the long bowman draw for a volley, the captain unheeding of the screams of the crippled men still in the line of fire. The sky darkens with missiles, so close they cannot possibly miss. The Knight adjusts the grip on his blade, yet is otherwise still. Arrows engulf him, some tearing through his armor, shredding his cloak, still more ricocheting off his armor. The screams of the wounded now reduced to gurgling death rattles, the road littered with arrows, yet still the Knight stands tall.


“Again!” shouts the captain, fear in his eyes. Once more the figure is shrouded by the volley. Yet still he stands. A hushed whisper passes through the assembled ranks, such is the sudden silence. For now, the hood torn aside, the melancholy mask can be seen...what's more, the shaft of an arrow is clearly seen standing forth from one eye! Yet there is no blood. No pain. Indeed, the warrior has not yielded even a step.


The captain withdraws, archers falling back for the vanguard to once again close ranks. Jahiran's silent friend merely waits, not pressing, nor moving, even as the blood of the slain pools in the earth around him. Long has the farmer known the Guardian was not a man & from time to time he has idly wondered about his strange nature...yet how can such a thing be?


The flag of the commander, bearing the sign of a rampant boar beneath crossed spears joins the imperial banner. One look at his cruel lips & ice blue eyes would tell you he is no man to be trifled with. At his side stands an uncouth, bearded brute. Hair dark & matted, beetled brows shadowing eyes that have never known mercy. Sinking despair grips Jahiran then; these are the men who will enslave & brutalize his family before the day is done. How much worse will it be with this resistance? Jahiran looks down at the sickle in his hand...better that he had slain his own than allow these monsters the pleasure! Assailed by such thoughts, he hears the enemies words on the wind.


“What do you make of it, Doran?” Says the cruel Lord.


The brutish man plucks a small skull from his belt, perhaps that of a child or a halfling. Muttering blasphemies, the empty sockets burn with a sickly green radiance. “Some sort of Revenant...a strong one, I warrant: broken, it would make quite the prize in an otherwise disastrous venture.” The brutes dark eyes gleam with naked avarice as he speaks.


“Oh? Then be about it, Priest. We have tarried long enough.”


With a mirthless grin, the Priest gestures to the elite guardsmen surrounding the banner, “Your will, My Lord. Shields to me!” Slamming the visor of his Great Helm closed, the Dark Priest stalks forward, guarded by four stout shields. As he approaches the line, he holds forth the skull & roars:


“THE HAND OF NERUL COMMANDS YOU!”


To Jahiran's horror, the Knight stiffens, sword tumbling to the dust.


The cleric chuckles darkly, still holding the symbol of his fetid God, “A strong one, aye...yet you shall obey...KNEEL BEFORE THE REAPER! THE GOD OF DEATH DEMANDS YOUR SERVITUDE!!!”


Slowly, inexorably, the Knight is driven to one knee...helpless beneath the unholy power of the servants of darkness. Jahiran feels his heart break. His silent friend, protector of his family & home for decades, would now also be enslaved...& what a terrifying concept that was, the Headsman serving the corrupt Empire. All these thoughts & more raced through the old farmers mind, gripping him so completely that he found himself stepping out of cover, knuckles white gripping the sickle.


He made it little farther before the archers found him. Sprawling in the dust, his blood joined the slain scouts, fingers grasping helplessly at the shafts lodged in his chest & belly...& yet, even in that nadir of despair, the dire scene shifted. The elven script upon the mask blazed, breaking the death priests hold...launching upwards, the Wraith Knight drank deeply of it's unholy nature, & passed through the shields, startled blows, & even the bodies of the clerics guards. Sword still lying where it had fallen, the Knight reached out with skeletal hands, passing through the clerics breastplate as the rays of the sun through glass. With a startled shout the Priest of Nerul began to utter a terrible invocation, stopping short with a jet of blood...as the skeletal claws closed around his heart, & became quite solid once more.


Kicking off the clerics chest in an explosion of torn flesh, shattered metal, & broken bones, the Knight stood facing the Imperial forces. Jagged bones where it's arms one were, covered in gore, it was long moments before the army could rally it's courage to strike down the spectral visage.


Yet strike him down they did.


So the village would be burned, the harvest seized, the people enslaved. Losing the death priest Doran was a significant blow in an already difficult campaign. Messengers from the capital city had spoken of multiple legions failing to over run the garrison held by the dwarven fast of Deep Mote...Randyll would be glad to return to his newly acquired lands, far from such petty battles. With a new prize, at that.


The magnificent Great Sword flickered with scarlet runes in his hands, as it had done since his men brought it from the field. Having shattered the skeletal warrior, the blade was clearly a powerful instrument. The perfect token of his new House: perhaps he would even change his banner to reflect the fearsome sword. It was with these thoughts he blew out his candle to sleep with dreams of unfettered ambitions & the whisper of the endless depths...until rudely awakened by skeletal hands closing about his throat. Struggling to call for help, to fight his assailant, the campfires of his men on the walls of his tent illuminated the grinning skull that would be the last sight he would see.


The calloused hands of Jahiran closed about the throat of his tormentor. A good man is known by the strength of his hands, my father always said so. Kristophan watches the light of life leave Jahiran's tormentor, filling with the crackling darkness of the Unmaker. Gathering some of this taint, he cuts open the cooling corpse & extracts a few ribs. Briefly, Kristophan/Jahiran are joined by the confused & terrified thoughts of Sir Randyll of Ghent before this echo is likewise subsumed among the chorus of voices within. Seizing the blade & the mask, Kristophan Alligheri dons the Lord's own armor & stalk out into the camp. Before the sun should rise there is much work to be done...

LordDice
2013-02-19, 10:41 AM
Damn, That's a excellent little short story.

Mr. X
2013-02-19, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I thought it was pretty awesome.

In-Character Knowledge:

Tales of 'The Wanderer' have been told around campfires for centuries, all across the continent. Like every myth, the details of each story vary widly from one telling to the next, some claiming he was a cursed Lord of the First Men, others that he was a just a knight who was once enslaved by a dark power, only to cast off the shackles and make his own way.

Whatever the stories may say of what un-natural thing he became, all agree that he was a sort of avenging spirit, his swift justice falling on those who deserved it most.

Some even claim to have encountered him in present times, but those stories are only told by those deep in their cups, and only in hushed tones even then.

Mr. X
2013-02-20, 09:03 PM
Other News:

While you were finding your supplies in Ork Watch, you came across these other bits of information through tavern talk, and other sources of arguable reliability:

You heard it told that Star Spire and Timaril have both called their banners, and intend to march on Beluvah soon.

Great Gate is also rallying its forces, but relations between them and Timaril are tense, so there are many debates about how their forces might be brought to bear.

Word of the Barbarian invasion from the North is new News, and the event is expected to change the strategies of all the cities involved.

It's apparent that the common folk are up in arms about Beluvah's fall even more than the lords. Conscripts are flooding in by the hundreds all across the continent, to the point that many armies have more men than they can outfit... There's talk of many simply forming their own armies, and marching with divine sanction.

Every priesthood is in agreement. Beluvah must be re-taken. On every street corner, it seems, there is a crier calling every person who holds their gods dear, to take up arms against the demons that have defiled the holy lands.

LordDice
2013-02-20, 11:25 PM
Init [roll0]

Mr. X
2013-02-20, 11:27 PM
-6 initiative?!?!?

LordDice
2013-02-20, 11:28 PM
heh...flaws :/ I can't believe I didn't roll a negative init !

Mr. X
2013-02-20, 11:29 PM
Damn, fair enough.

Mr. X
2013-02-20, 11:32 PM
Hey, If you can get Taalkar online, we can roll this out.

LordDice
2013-02-20, 11:32 PM
That slacker is playing LoL right now...sigh

LordDice
2013-02-20, 11:33 PM
after his match is over, I'm gonna be buggin him though. ohhh yeah

Mr. X
2013-02-20, 11:35 PM
Awesome. I should be on for at least two more hours. Should get us a couple of rounds into this battle, at least.

Got any questions I can clarify while we wait?

LordDice
2013-02-20, 11:36 PM
Sweet, just hollared at him on axon. He'll be here !

LordDice
2013-02-20, 11:37 PM
no real questions...except one curiosity. What exactly WAS that tentacle thing on the tower at the citadel ?

if it doesn't give away anything upcoming that is

Mr. X
2013-02-20, 11:40 PM
Heh, it was a Giant Squid. Summoned by a druid with an ancestral scroll.

Figured you two wouldn't recognize a terror of the depths when you saw one. :-P

LordDice
2013-02-20, 11:42 PM
haha that's about right. I just knew I didn't want to get anywhere near it after thinking about it. With your modified grapple rules that thing is a walking death machine !

well...wriggling death machine

Barthac
2013-02-20, 11:44 PM
Here I am:

Init:[roll0]

Mr. X
2013-02-20, 11:46 PM
Heh, yeah. I generally find monsters to be statistically a lot less scary than it seems like they ought to be.

I feel like improving grappling fixes that fright level a fair bit. Not making them able to deal more damage, or harder to put down, but simply making them capable of doing what they ought to be doing.

LordDice
2013-02-20, 11:48 PM
Definitely !

So we're just gonna see if we can do some quick combat in the IC thread I guess

Mr. X
2013-02-20, 11:48 PM
Awesome.

Also, for the record, that druid had to dive off the 'Way, using an ensorcered feather charm (featherfall) to survive the fall, in order to summon the beast, and then get the thing to slither and climb its way all the way back up over the wall.

Mr. X
2013-02-20, 11:50 PM
Well, give your actions the flavor they need, but yeah, since we're all on-line, we should be able to make some serious progress.

LordDice
2013-02-20, 11:50 PM
wow...he was really dedicated to getting that done !

Forgot to roll init for the mercs..that still live
Karl [roll0]
Morg [roll1]
Arrin [roll2]

Mr. X
2013-02-21, 12:15 AM
Go ahead and take actions for your guys too.

Mr. X
2013-02-21, 12:32 AM
The one attacking Karl (Monster 2) slipped in the forming ice, and fell face down in the mud.

He is prone, for the moment.

Also note Total Darkness penalties for your people w/o darkvision.

LordDice
2013-02-21, 12:37 AM
aw crap, I didn't calc in any darkness. although after I cast flaming sphere I guess the darkness isn't an issue

Sids fixed damage [roll0]

Mr. X
2013-02-21, 12:38 AM
No worries, I'll take care of it.

Taalkar, go ahead and Take your action too. The monsters go on 17.

LordDice
2013-02-21, 12:39 AM
he's still figuring, sorry we're a bit slow trying to remember all the numbers and such :o

LordDice
2013-02-21, 12:40 AM
I think I screwed up KarlsMorg's damage, but if I add 1 more d8, it should count still and work as his crit

[roll0]

Mr. X
2013-02-21, 12:41 AM
No worries, I'm looking up the darkness rules too.

For now, don't worry about it, and I'll apply the modifiers after the fact.

I think it's just a 50% miss chance for each attack, but I'm checking.

Mr. X
2013-02-21, 12:47 AM
Wow... Fighting blind sucks!

Your Crit hits regardless.

Karl's Miss chance, <50 hits:

[roll0]

Sid's damage:
[roll1]

Barthac
2013-02-21, 12:50 AM
I actually booched my numbers slightly. Dice pointed out that leap attack actually triples, not doubles, PA damage when using a 2H weapon. So another 4 damage.

Also, my AC for the next round is 15

Mr. X
2013-02-21, 12:50 AM
Wow, awesome.

LordDice
2013-02-21, 12:50 AM
Also, I already rolled a fixed Sid damage a bit higher, ended up as 10 damage

Mr. X
2013-02-21, 01:23 AM
Ahh, noted.

I'm uploading the map in just a second.

All three of the new goblins are attacking you from behind, so your AC is at -2...

Goblin 4's crit confirm:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

Edit/: Aww, no Karazi shish-kabob after all.

Barthac
2013-02-21, 01:24 AM
Refreshing myself on maneuvers. Mountain hammer has a standard action to initiate. That means I could not have charged and used Mountain Hammer. The "whatever" has an extra 7 health... hopefully he is still DEAD!

Barthac
2013-02-21, 01:25 AM
Oh... this level gave me Improved Uncanny Dodge. No -2 for me!

Mr. X
2013-02-21, 01:25 AM
I'll let it slide this time, since you were the one to wake up and sound the alarm, you had time to initiate your maneuver...

Incidentally, 7 points would have left him alive.

Mr. X
2013-02-21, 01:29 AM
Ahh, nice.

LordDice
2013-02-21, 01:47 AM
Boy that's just alot of roll inputting..lemme know if anything looks wrong.

Mr. X
2013-02-21, 01:48 AM
Man, I understand completely. It all looks good though.

Mr. X
2013-02-21, 02:15 AM
I just edited the post, including the aftermath. read it again if you have already done so.

Mr. X
2013-02-21, 02:19 AM
Karl is at -5hp and falling.

Mr. X
2013-02-21, 02:36 AM
Also, you may each gain 2700 exp.

LordDice
2013-02-21, 02:38 AM
I guess we're just continuing on then, I presume a little wand work will save Karl's life.

and we'll bury the other two I suppose.


I knew I took that soften stone and earth for a good reason !

LordDice
2013-02-21, 02:39 AM
I'll admit my initial gut instinct is to take some fungus and shove it in Karls wound.

it sure seemed to give those Goblins and edge :D

But then Karl might not appreciate being tested on.

LordDice
2013-02-21, 02:40 AM
Oh, I'm gonna keep that head in my sack I think...might be useful later.

Mr. X
2013-02-21, 02:41 AM
Heh, it may not work quickly enough, but it might... You also have trouble finding very much of it that is actually still alive. It seems to spread pretty well, but doesn't survive well in these conditions... Perhaps it's the cold.

LordDice
2013-02-21, 02:43 AM
Vigor wand'll be enough for him I think. and Most everyone really.

Besides, it's not that moral to just stuff a potentially mind eating fungus into someone just to heal them (and maybe see how it works !)

Mr. X
2013-02-21, 02:43 AM
Good call.

Have you two really got no In-Character discussion about what the hell those things were, or the implications there-in?

Shame shame. :-P

LordDice
2013-02-21, 02:44 AM
ack, we can come up with something. Slacker there went into another League match.

I wasn't sure if he was even gonna be able to post again tonight

Barthac
2013-02-21, 02:46 AM
No in-character discussion... YET!

Mr. X
2013-02-21, 02:47 AM
Ah, no worries. It's about time for me to turn in too.

Do take a minute to talk about this stuff In-Character though. There were a lot of clues for the future in that battle, and you'd do well not to let them pass you by.

;-)

LordDice
2013-02-21, 01:54 PM
made some changes to my spell list, if we rest a night after this encounter I guess they'll take effect then.

Mr. X
2013-02-22, 03:11 AM
Sounds good.

Just a note:

As the temperature continues to drop daily, you are going to start taking cold damage at night, if you continue to camp without fires or other means of staving off the cold.

Building a fire will bring its own dangers, however, plainly showing your location in the dark nights...

Mr. X
2013-02-25, 03:05 AM
Hey guys, sorry for the delay. My show just closed this weekend, and I've been pretty swamped by it.

I just got home and am heading to bed. I'll have a post up for you tomorrow.

Hope life is treating you both well enough.

Cheers,

X

LordDice
2013-02-28, 01:58 AM
Yugh, we're not moving on...it's an in character post saying exactly how stumped I feel.

I was gonna summon a giant owl, had it all written up. Then remembered it'd last 36 freaking seconds...that's not scouting ANYTHING

I need mo thinkin time I guess.

Mr. X
2013-02-28, 02:08 AM
Ahh... Appologies. I didn't intend for the mention of the telescope to be a deal breaker, I just thought I'd let you start questioning specifics.

You wish you had one because you'd be able to get an extra clear look with it. Even still, there is a great deal you can learn from the overview... Namely that the city appears well populated, and that while the West and Southward roads appear deserted, there is some traffic along the Northward road, and the port still seems to be active, with a number of ships moving about the bay.

Also, Beluvah is pretty big. It's population numbered over a million when it was standing. If you can get into the city itself, there should be ample cover, if you're careful...

Another option, would be to continue hiking Northward to get a look at Pinnacle Rock. That town is much smaller, and may prove easier to breach.

LordDice
2013-03-01, 12:58 AM
You say there's traffic on the north road, but is any of it headed into the city still ? and does it appear to just be normal traffic for any city this size ?

Mr. X
2013-03-01, 01:02 AM
Not really. It appears sporadic, large groups, and some individuals... More like poorly organized troop movements and messengers than anything else.

Mr. X
2013-03-02, 03:41 PM
For some solid stats:

The goblins number easily several hundred thousand, and with more crawling in and out of the massive holes and spreading onto the road northward, there could yet be many more... Perhaps into the millions...

The walls are heavily manned, but the wall is cracked in places, and the organization is haphazard and chaotic... It would be difficult to sneak through, but not impossible.

Troop movements along the Northern Road are sporadic, but most groups appear to number several hundred.

Single runners course back and forth between groups and between the city in a manner that reminds you of a trail of ants.

LordDice
2013-03-04, 01:25 AM
Delayed...meant to have a post tonight but I got distracted trying to setup a MFFS in minecraft.

so uh...tomorrow, honest !

Mr. X
2013-03-04, 03:47 AM
No worries. I've been fairly absent this weekend too.

Let me know if there's any questions I can answer.

Mr. X
2013-03-07, 04:52 AM
Sorry for the delay there guys, I had to take some time to figure out how events were going down across the continent.

At the rate things are moving, it is vital that you get your report to the Ironjaw ASAP... Taking it there by hand, however, is going to take longer than you want, so I might suggest employing magical means if you possess them.

-------

At this point, as part of previously undisclosed backgrounds during your time spent adventuring overground, you may each choose two contacts.

These characters are people you are acquainted with, and are on favorable enough terms with, that they will be willing to provide favors within their capacity, provided you can make it worth their while.

Who they are and what they do is up to you to decide, and they may be located in any city on the continent (both in the same city, or in separate cities, as you see fit), with the exception of Loc'Nethal.

Mr. X
2013-03-07, 02:45 PM
As usual, there's a lot going on here, so fire away with the questions if you have them.

Mr. X
2013-03-08, 12:45 AM
Hey guys, I just edited the IC post a little bit.

It should have stated that dwarven forces 'May soon be embattled', rather than 'May already be embattled'.... The intent was to imply that if the horde travelled to Ork Watch the battle there may already have occurred, while if they travelled through Dwarven lands, the battle would happen soon, but probably has not happened yet.

Mr. X
2013-03-10, 04:24 PM
Actions anyone?

LordDice
2013-03-10, 04:25 PM
Ack, sorry man. Life just caught me square in the face last few days, I'll try and have something up this evening.

LordDice
2013-03-10, 04:38 PM
Also, in regards to our possible contacts. Since you asked for them prior to backstory creation they were just written into it.

Those contacts were actually Ironjaw and a guerrilla/free slave called Quickblade (man I musta been a little sleepy writing that up or something)

Mr. X
2013-03-10, 04:53 PM
Oh right, I forgot that I had included that earlier. Though, you both get two, so if there's anyone else you'd like to know, go ahead and take them.

Also, no worries about life getting in the way. I understand completely.

Mr. X
2013-03-12, 02:14 AM
Hey guys, nice move.

I'm afraid I don't have a post for you tonight, because I've been putting off nailing down what the area around Black Harbor is like, because it's pretty involved.

I'm stewing on it now, and hopefully will have it all consolidated so I can have an accurate post tomorrow.

Thanks for the patience.

Mr. X
2013-03-13, 08:03 PM
On a side note, is there anything specific you suggest in your missive to Ironjaw?

Mr. X
2013-03-19, 02:38 AM
Hey guys, sorry for the delay.

I'm working up a fairly long winded post about the state of things in Black Harbor and its surrounding towns, and I'm afraid work rather kicked my ass today, and so I haven't managed to actually get it written up.

I should have it up sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for the patience,

X

Mr. X
2013-03-20, 03:02 AM
Hey guys, I've just posted IC. There's an OOC post with more information on Black Harbor coming tomorrow morning (Cuz I've got a few hours off).

Cheers,

X

LordDice
2013-03-20, 09:02 AM
Gnome slavers ! love it ! I think if anything permanent happens to Karazi I might just have to try that.

Mr. X
2013-03-20, 12:20 PM
Heh, perhaps.

Mr. X
2013-03-20, 02:48 PM
Whether discovered personally from your time spent in Black Harbor, or filled in by Quickblade, you may consider this In Character knowledge.

So just a warning, some of this is pretty awful.

The Gnomish Isles

The gnomes are a secretive and secluded people. Visitors are rarely, if ever, allowed onto the isles, and their ports are closely and securely guarded.

Despite this, a great deal of trade moves through them. Gold all but pours from their ports for anything from basic sundries, to cattle, slaves, and magical goods.

Those captains that have dealt with them, claim their ships and shores are filled with all manner of bizarre constructs, machines, and devices, all seemingly well beyond the capability of the rest of the continent to reproduce, and who's purposes defy or terrify the imagination.

Black Harbor holds a tight, if somewhat 'don't ask don't tell', merchant alliance with the Isles, shipping several thousand slaves to various ports there each year.

One must presume that the fatality rates among the slaves are quite high, as the gnomes never sell their own slaves, and only ever buy more.

Black Harbor

Slavery is a very lucrative trade, Black Harbor has taken full advantage of the fact. Indeed, so vast has their accumulated wealth become, that their society has evolved into one of bloated decidance, and passionate exploration into ways of expanding that decidance.

Pleasure houses and gladiatorial arenas are but the simplest and cleanest of these, but they have given rise to the breeding guilds, where choice stock are breed, as one might horses, to create more superlative specimens. (The failed products of these unions are valuable in their own right.)

The lives of the slaves very greatly, depending on their owner, and his mood. Many are well cared for, well fed, educated in skilled labor, and rarely abused... Others are destine to serve the viler desires of their owners and their sports...

Torture is often practiced as an art form, and often as a performing art form... Working for months with a subject to learn how to force them to scream in a perfect note, and then learning to string those notes together into an aria is a profession for many, and a pastime for many more...

Living Sculpture is another much valued practice, where the artist employs medical knowledge and magic to keep his subject alive and aware, while carving them into grotesquely esthetic forms...

Whether as a byproduct of these, or simply taking advantage of them, many potent magics have been formed around these practices.

The 'human' element is a vital part of all magic, and the power of pain, suffering, and anguish is very real indeed... Through magical and alchemical means, it is possible to bottle this essence.

This derived chemical is a powerful euphoric, and may even be employed in place of a mage's own essence in the creation of magical artifacts.

To this end, Black Harbor has attracted many less than scrupulous wizards as a haven to conduct their research... Far cheaper the life of a slave, than their own precious life force...

Whether due to the alchemical drug, or simply evolved from the lifestyle, such a refined taste has been grown for the anguish of the slaves, that every few years, uprisings amongst the slaves are not only allowed, but subtly encouraged... For the sweetest anguish is grown from the light of hope, shattered and lost.

LordDice
2013-03-22, 11:35 AM
Man, you've got one helluva world as a setting, very cool :)

Gonna change Karazi's spell layout before we set out on some kind of raid here. Hopefully I'll have the changes in later tonight.

Mr. X
2013-03-22, 01:52 PM
Heh, thanks. I'm glad you guys are liking it. It's been a pretty enlightening process developing it as we go.

Playing in the world actually makes it quite a bit easier to flesh out, as your progress gives a thread to follow, and a basis for how one location might relate to another, not to mention the people you meet and their angles and opinions on the base ideas for a place.

All in all, I've certainly had a lot of fun making it... And we're only just beginning. :-P

Mr. X
2013-03-25, 02:31 AM
Hey guys, Sorry for the delay. (Seems like every other post in the OOC is me saying this. :-P)

I've been spending the last few days figuring out how all the other cities are actually responding to the disaster in Beluvah... I've got it all mostly sorted now, so there shouldn't be many further delays due to that.

I've just posted IC, but stopped short of the next event (visiting the witch), so you could take evening or morning actions if you wanted to.

If you don't have anything to do, just let me know here, and I'll continue on directly.

Cheers,

X

LordDice
2013-03-26, 12:31 AM
Got my spells updated, don't believe we're doing anything in the evening or morning. other than changing out a few spells there.

Mr. X
2013-03-27, 12:16 PM
Just in case you need a translation for what Alyss said... :-P

"Je be seein' me earli Quicke, ye brought 'em dij ya?" she says, tilting her head oddly at you, "Spirits say a pair o' stones be payin' a visit, wat ya be wantin'?"


"You came to see early Quickblade, and you brought them with you, did you?"

"The Spirirts told me a pair of stones would be paying me a visit, what do you want?"

LordDice
2013-03-30, 09:41 PM
I'm honestly just kinda stumped...I don't think things out much at all, so I've no idea what I expect to get out of this entire line of query involving the head, lol


Creepy witch though, don't even wanna hang around that place..

Mr. X
2013-03-31, 03:36 AM
Heh, probably for the best.

The your questions are pretty much right on track... You're not really sure how her magic works. She's not a Wizard or a Cleric, or any other 'class' caster.

None the less, it works.

Quickblade will inform you that she means to shrink the head, thus imprisoning the thing's soul, and compelling it to answer her questions... Among other things she might ask or do with it.

If you wish to send communications over great distances, she will also be the one to talk to.

Much of Quickblade's operation relies upon the slaves knowing when their escape is at had, and what they need to do in that moment.

To this end, it is claimed that the 'leading members', such as they are, of any slave group have recieved portentful dreams and visions in the nights leading up to the ultimate moment of their escape.

You yourselves experienced such dreams prior to your escape.

Quickblade (if asked) will inform you that Alyss is responsible for these dreams, and may send similar such portents to anyone, so long as she has at least a name they will answer to.

She may provide any dream vision you describe, though she cannot compel the recipient to take any action.

This may be considered In Character Knowledge.

Mr. X
2013-03-31, 04:42 AM
On a side note, bringing the head was something of a divine intervention for you guys. Without it there wouldn't be much she'd be able to do for you on that angle.

The following information is Out of Character Knowledge, but I'll give it to you so you have a better idea of how to approach the situation:


Alyss the Witch is essentially a Voodoo Mamba (priestess).

The base rules for Voodooo that I'm using may be found here:3.5 Voodoo (http://rooc.offtopicproductions.com/stuff/dndvoodoo.pdf)

Class wise, she is an Expert (The NPC class). Voodoo is simply a skill, and may be learned by anyone who puts the points into it (though you'll need a teacher to begin with).

Feasibly, she could teach both of you, if you really wanted to learn. ;-)

Shrinking heads and sending dreams are two rituals which I've written in addition to those provided (because Voodoo Priests should be able to do that stuff):


Portentful Dream:
Neutral (No)
DC: (See Text)
Components: A mirror, handful of ash, and at least a name of the target.
Voodoo Cost: 6 (0/0/0)
Casting time: 1d6 hours.
Save: Target's Will Save determines base DC.

The caster spends hours chanting over the mirror, speaking of visions and portents, and sprinkling ash over the surface. When the target next sleeps, they will dream of the images and portents the caster described, and awaken struck by the vividness of the dream, and experience feelings of significance attributed to it.

The portents and visions of the dream need not be true, or have any basis in reality.

The ritual cannot compel the target to take any action, but certain dreams may guide them in a desired direction.

The DC for the ritual is the result of the target's Will Save, modified by the caster's connection to the target.

Connection to Target DC modifier
Only target's name is known. +10
Target is well known by reputation. +5
Target is personally known by the caster. +0
Caster possesses a piece (Strand of hair,
bit of fingernail, etc.) of the target. -10

Shrunken Head
Evil (Yes)
DC: Target's Will Save
Components: The Target's severed head.
Voodoo Cost 8 (+2/0/-2)
Casting Time: 1d4 hours
Save: Will Save sets the spell's DC

This vile ritual imprisons the target's spirit within the shrunken head, preventing it from moving on to the afterlife, or seeking vengeance on whomsoever killed it.

One with appropriate knowledge (5+ ranks in voodoo) may speak with the spirit, and each day, may compel it to answer honestly a number of questions equal to their level.

Invoking this power is risky, however. Each time the spirit is compelled to answer, it receives a new saving throw to break free of its prison. (Will Save, DC the caster's initial roll.)

Each month, the spirit receives a new saving throw, regardless of any action taken.

Should the spirit ever escape its bonds, it immediately manifests as a ghost of equal hit dice as when it was alive, will all associated abilities, and will either attack anyone nearby, or flee into the afterlife. (Perhaps both.)

LordDice
2013-04-02, 11:47 AM
I somehow completely missed the post about In-character knowledge about the witch for some days now. that'll teach me to just read the last post when it shows something new >_<

Doesn't seem like it'd be a great way to get intel to Ironjaw though, especially if he's not expecting something like that.