PDA

View Full Version : [SW: Saga] Melee Noble build, need help

cardboardbox!
2012-10-02, 09:40 PM
I've been in a Saga campaign for about 3 sessions and were all level 3, so far I have taken 2 levels of Noble and intend to take a third level so I can grab the noble duelist talent which allows me to to add my chrasima to my attack rolls. Now my backstory is that I'm being hunted by a one of the Emperors Hand, and eventually he will show up and kick butt and take names. Now heres my dilema, I need to find a way to go toe to toe with him thats just my play style, fight fire with fire and what not. So he is a Force user and our game is no Force users in the party.

How in the force's name can I stand on even ground with a him in melee with the remainder of my levels?

Here is my build, using standard array:

Alistar Tanis (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=428343)

SSJ Ranulf
2012-10-02, 11:08 PM
Hey there. I'm going to assume that being capable in melee is the most important thing to your character, so my suggestions will primary focus on helping you with that.

How many levels do you suppose you'll have before you come into conflict with him? I certainly think you're making a good choice with Noble Fencing Style. You Advanced Melee Weapon Proficiency, so I'd recommend getting your hands on a Vibroblade. You also have the wealth talent, so could you look into hiring some help to distract/delay him? I would also advise Weapon Focus (Advanced Melee Weapons) for your level 3 feat.

For future levels, you have two major choices; continue as a noble or take levels in another class. If you continue as a noble, consider taking Demoralizing Defense. When you hit, you'll do less damage, but he'll have a much harder time getting a hit in on you. However, I'd recommend taking soldier instead.

For the quick version, he's what I'd recommend. Talent in Italics, Feats Bold

Level 3: Noble 3; Noble Fencing Style, Weapon Focus (Ad Melee Weapons)
Level 4: Noble 3/Soldier 1; Weapon Specialization (Ad Melee Weapons), +1 Cha, +1 Str/Con/Int (your choice)
Level 5: Noble 3/Soldier 2; Melee Defense
Level 6: Noble 3/Soldier 3; Melee Smash Unstoppable Force (see below)/Improved Disarm (see below)/Rapid Strike (see below)
Level 7: Noble 3/Soldier 4; One of the above you didn't take before.
Level 8+: Based on your interest in prestige classes.

What this build is going for lasting in the long run in a melee duel. Melee Defense and soldier levels make you a fairly tough contender. You have a tough time hitting with an attack bonus of +10 (BAB +6, Cha +3, WF +1) considering it's easy for an enemy to have something like 19 - 23 in a defense, and you'll be taking 3 - 5 off a turn for melee defense. But with Melee Smash and Weapon Specialization, you do good damage on a hit, and that only compounds on a critical.

For later level feats, I'm leery of Rapid Strike because you already have some trouble landing a hit, and your damage is already decent. But you need it for Melee Duelist, a good prestige class. Improved Disarm gives you another way to get the advantage. But it's a really tough sell; you basically need to hit your opponents Ref Defense +5 (even with Improved Disarm), and depending on how much you need for melee defense, it might be almost impossible to do without a 19 or 20 on your roll. Unstoppable Force is a good choice if you think his force powers might give him an advantage: a hefty bonus on Fort and Will could render his power moot.

I suppose I'd advise Improved Disarm and Rapid Strike (for Melee Duelist).

For further levels, I'd advise one more of soldier for Stunning Strike (talent), and then go into a prestige class of your choice (I'd recommend Melee Duelist). Triple Crit (Ad. Melee Weapons) would be a good feat for level 9, as it helps offset not hitting as often and capitalizes on your talents. Your not particularly accurate, but you've got the ability for a big critical (2d6 + 1/2 level + 3, x3, if you exceed their threshold you move them down the CT two steps). Essentially, you're good at a long, drawn out (dramatic!) fight, were your chance at winning is dealing a few devastating attacks.

Hope it helps.

RandomLunatic
2012-10-02, 11:42 PM
The feat you want next level is Combat Trickery. From Unknown Regions, it lets you render an enemy flat-footed for the cost of two swift actions. Aside from making it much easier to hit with your 3/4ths BaB, the other key component of flat-footedness is that Force-using opponents cannot Block while flat-footed.

After that, it is kinda up in the air what you want to do. Nobles are more focused on making others fight better than being good fighters themselves, so if you want a straight-up swordsman, you should multiclass out. The two obvious choices are soldier for sheer combat prowess, or Scoundrel, which sadly is just as short on BaB and HPs as the Noble, but the Misfortune talent tree lets you pile the misery on your ill-fortuned flat-footed foes with things like Dastardly Strike, Sneak Attack, and Weakening Strike.

Long-term, it is a bit hard to say what you should do. Melee Duelist is more of a Dex-focused, which you are not, and it's major trick, the full-attack-as-standard-action thing, takes 5 levels to mature, and until then, it does not play well with your Combat Trickery, and with a Nobel base, you should not be penalizing your attack bonus any more with a full attack.

You could try looking into Master Privateer, which has things for both melee and social skills rolled into one PrC, and you are already trained in Pilot.

Ultimately, I need more info before I can give you more advice.

Mithric Gunn
2012-10-09, 08:21 PM
Another option would be to play the wealth game.

The Emperor's Hand is great in combat? Ok, but what is he going to do against a wealthy noble in heavy armor, a tech'd up vibrosword, and a few combat droids?
It would entail staying in noble mostly, multiclassing a little to pick up medium/heavy armor prof from soldier, as well as armored defense/imp armored defense.

Also, keep in mind that deception can give you a critical edge if you play it well. If you can fool him into following you onto a battleground of your choosing, you can maybe choose to bring a gunship to swordfight.

IdleMuse
2012-10-10, 04:11 AM
You could try looking into Master Privateer, which has things for both melee and social skills rolled into one PrC, and you are already trained in Pilot.

Master Privateer is great as the only way other than Melee Duelist to get Multiattack Proficiency (Advanced Melee). I'd definitely give it a look, since reducing the penalties on Double Attack (eventually triple) is a great idea.

Strormer
2012-10-16, 03:04 PM
If it was me, I'd go with a noble/scoundrel mix, pick up a vibrorapier and some poison, and go to town, jumping into assassin when you can. This path assumes that you go to town with the wealth game and buy a handful of sentry droids and the like. Lets you play the arrogant noble who can hold his own and thinks he's hot stuff, but when he gets outclassed by more thoroughly combat centered classes he can cheese the droids and then claim victory through superior station.