PDA

View Full Version : Trapsmith or Combat Trapsmith?

CoffeeIncluded
2012-10-06, 11:05 PM
In my current campaign I'm playing a a character who is obsessed with traps and mechanical devices. Though she's currently a Rogue2/Swashbuckler1 (taking Daring Outlaw at 6th level), I know that at 8th level (at which point I'll have the Rogue's Uncanny Dodge and the Swashbuckler's Insightful Strike) she's going to prestige into either the Trapsmith or the Combat Trapsmith prestige class.

My question is: Which one of these two classes is better? Either one works for flavor, I just want to know which one of these two prestige classes is better and why.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-06, 11:09 PM
Trapsmith has spells and in D&D spells are better than everything at everything starting at mid-levels, so on that account I would suggest Trapsmith. It has some seriously good spells at low levle (hello haste as a level 1 spell). You might need something to improve your CL a bit (Practiced spellcaster can really help you here).

Also I think that Daring Outlaw is an everything or nothing deal, if you are jumping out of rogue or Swashbuckler after a few levels I don't think it is worth it in that case.

Piggy Knowles
2012-10-06, 11:13 PM
Trapsmith, as a general rule, is better. Its limited casting actually gives you quite a few powerful options.

Combat Trapsmith has a much better "trapping" mechanic, though. I kind of like it better in general. The main problem with Combat Trapsmith is that the DCs don't really scale properly, so by high levels they'll be trivially easy to pass.

hex0
2012-10-07, 01:51 PM
Trapsmith, as a general rule, is better. Its limited casting actually gives you quite a few powerful options.

*cough* Swiftblade *cough*

But, yes, Trapsmith is a very nice class. The class abilities are pretty decent if you deal with any traps. If your DM is running published modules or likes to put in traps, it is very very nice. But the spell list is really powerful.

I'd not bother with Daring Outlaw if you are going to prestige out. You can take Trapsmith then take Unseen Seer to snag Hunter's Eye though.

Edit: I'd take trapsmith asap if it is in your build. Rogue 2/Factotum 3/Trapsmith X.

Wise Green Bean
2012-10-07, 02:28 PM
Trapsmith. Maybe a level of combat trapsmith would be OK, situationally, but honestly, there's no great reward for getting through 5 levels of combat trapsmith unless you regularly have a medium amount of prep time(if you have little or none, they aren't the best, and if you have a lot, one level will really do pretty much the same thing). Trapsmith gets Wall of Stone, for Gods sake. The effectiveness in terms of battlefield control...well, there's really no comparison. And combat trapsmith eats up gold rather quickly if you use them liberally. I believe most are 10GP and non-reusable(I might be wrong on the second point, don't exactly remember).

CoffeeIncluded
2012-10-07, 10:45 PM
Ah, thanks. And yeah, that's what I was thinking. Haste at 1st level is just too good. But I'm only taking three levels of Trapsmith, I think. In that case I only loose 1d6 sneak attack, and then go right back to the Roguebuckler build.