PDA

View Full Version : Nero's Rome? [IC]

Grimsage Matt
2012-10-06, 11:43 PM
Rome the Great, Rome the Glorious, Rome the Mistress of the world.

Rome the Corrupt, Rome the Tarnished, Rome the Broken.

It is the year 63 AD, and life under Nero is not plseant. A "Patron of the arts", he sends people to their deaths for approval. Obbsessed with power and popularity, he bankrupts the mighty roman empire, wasting vital resources.

But the senate is little better. With intrigues and plots that ruin blood lines and cost lives, they care only for personal power, not for the salvation of the empire.

And the flames of unrest grow among the common people, and these days? Rome is a firetrap, waiting for the smallest spark. But don't say that, or the templars will assist you in disappearing.

Marthinwurer
2012-10-07, 09:23 AM
Originally posted this, thinking that the fire had started.

Tyti is doing her rounds, gathering her information, when she hears the cries of "Fire!" Once she sees the extent of the flames, she hurries back to the priests' inn to warn them of the oncoming conflagration.

Tyti strikes out form the inn where she was staying with the rest of the Egyptian contingent. She is dressed in her Priestess's robes, with a satchel on her back carrying her gear for 'other' activities. She has heard that chariot races are some of the best places to pick up scuttlebutt about happenings in the roman empire.

ForzaFiori
2012-10-07, 01:53 PM
Tiberius leaves the compound of the Afrianus family with Gaius, his charge, with him. "So, Gaius, it is a new day, and according to your father, there's nothing we need to do. So, where to go?"

OzzyKP
2012-10-08, 05:18 PM
It was good to get out of the house, even better to have a day off with no pressing matters to attend to. No messages to deliver, no meetings to attend, no studies, no parties, just a nice summer day to explore the greatest city in the world. Despite being a pain in the ass when it came time to hit the books, Gaius enjoyed Tiberius' company. Gaius was glad to have him around today. Even with the large difference in age, Tiberius was more of a friend then a chaperone.

Hearing his question, Gaius thought for a moment, "Head to the baths? Stroll through the forum? Browse goods at the market? Take in a play? Hmm... Oh, I know.."

Reaching a conclusion, Gaius turned to his tutor and said, "I believe there is a chariot race today, want to head down to the Circus Maximus? Perhaps we can invite Eulalius Arminius too? I can send Spuria (OOC: a random slave in the Quintianus household) to let him know where we'll be."

ForzaFiori
2012-10-08, 08:51 PM
"A chariot race sounds excellent. Tell Eulalius to meet us at the Circus Maximus." Tiberius replies. "Perhaps I can win a few Denari today..." he thinks to himself. "The day seemed brighter already."

Synvallius
2012-10-08, 11:37 PM
Draganos awakens in the house of a fellow Christian, some minor merchant named Brutus Porcius. He makes his way outside after greeting Brutus and his wife, who are both busily getting the shop in order before the day starts (he woke up at around eight A.M. or so). He decides to explore the city and visit some of the more renowned buildings, this being his first time in Rome.

Holocron Coder
2012-10-10, 07:27 AM
Eulalius is taking out some of his frustration with his arranged marriage by practicing his sword forms when Spuria arrives to give him Gaius's invite to the races. Thanking her politely, he considers the invitation a moment before deciding that he could use a little distraction. With that, he heads to the chariot races, hoping to meet up with Gaius once he arrives.

Grimsage Matt
2012-10-14, 03:13 PM
Gaius & Tiberius & Eulalius

As you walk through the bustling city, you feel a sense of pride. You are citizens of the greatest city on the earth, even as others refuse to see it that way. Avoiding street children, raptores and the glare of Templars, you make it to the Hippodrome, where a rat faced looking man waits at the entry gate. He quickly sizes you up.

"10 Denarri for the benches, 100 Denarri for shaded seats."

Tyti

The eygptian quarters are sheathed in shadow this day, and Rome stinks as much as ever. A Decaying city, it does not even have the deceny to try and clean itself...

But, you feel yourself being shadowed, right after passing by a darkened alley....

Draganos

Rome, is not as much as you thought it would be. Yes, some of the buildings are grand, but people eye each other, like the other could be a informer. Street children and orphans beg, fight, rob and kill as much as anywhere else. The poor get beaten when they try and enter places that are "too good for them".

At the Pyramid of Cestius, hucksters try and sell trinkets, and theives attempt to rob the luckless.

The Baths are enjoyable, and today Nero was paying for all.

But it is at the Forum that you see the biggest shock. A woman is giving a speech! A narrowly veiled critisim of Neros policy, you leave, but you do see her dragged away by armored figures... your fellow Templars.

OzzyKP
2012-10-14, 08:36 PM
Gaius came from money and unlike those who had to work and save and scrimp to make ends meet money was never a concern for him and nothing he ever thought about. Consequently, whatever money he came across had a way of never staying in his possession for long. He felt around in his pocket and determined that he was a bit short.

But, without missing a beat, he immediately said, "The benches are fine for us, I could go for a little sun. Tiberius, pay the man and let's find some good seats."

ForzaFiori
2012-10-14, 11:09 PM
10 Denarii? What do you take me for, a barbaric Gaul? I'll pay you 5 Denarii a seat, and you'll still make enough to feed your children better than most of the Patricians." Tiberius counters, knowing that his charge has only a limited ability to barter. Growing up in a merchant family, it was one of Tiberius' best skills, and he intended to put it to use - there wasn't a merchant in Rome who gave the true price of something up front.

Holocron Coder
2012-10-15, 09:01 AM
Eulalius

Eulalius stands with Gaius as Tiberius haggles over seating price. To fill in a moment, he asks Gaius's opinion of the chariot races for this year.

Don't know the specifics of chariot racing, so I'll just write it like that, so as to assume my character knows what he's talking about :smallbiggrin:

OzzyKP
2012-10-15, 10:39 AM
Gaius wasn't quite as rabid a fan as others, but he certainly a fan. He followed the races and, like many, had a favorite team and driver. By his nature he often pulled for the underdog, who in recent memory, were the Alba. He loved Titus Septimius, while he didn't have close to as many wins as Musclosus of the Russata, he survived many races and had a plucky determination that Gaius like. Most fans seemed to come just for the naufragia, but Gaius really hated to see the crashes and the death. At least when it was someone from the Alba.

"I can't wait for the quadrigae, Titus Septimius has been struggling lately, but he's got Musclosus this time, I just know it. The Alba are having a good year, they are only nine wins behind the Russata and only four behind the Prasini, I think they can close the gap. At the very least they should be able to beat those damn Prasini this year."

I quickly read up here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariot_racing#Roman_era) and here (http://www.mariamilani.com/ancient_rome/Ancient_Roman_Chariot_Races.htm). Musclosus I got from here (http://books.google.com/books?id=wtHo5nlNuywC&pg=PA106&lpg=PA106&dq=Pompeius+Musclosus&source=bl&ots=ViIADKf0eY&sig=UAsQA_iYF6uers6hVfCSaH-zK4Q&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Cil8UMKcDor30gG47oHwAw&ved=0CGgQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=Pompeius%20Musclosus&f=false). He isn't Pompeius Musclosus (who lived later) but the one listed earlier. I dunno exactly when he raced, but it said 1st century, so close enough. Septimius I just made up. Don't mind me if I sprinkle in some latin. :)

Synvallius
2012-10-17, 01:00 AM
Draganos is appalled at the condition Rome is in, after all of the stories his father told him about the "Shining City on the Hill," and after being told by Asher that Rome is where he would find the path that God wants him to follow, he was severely disappointed, and left the crowded streets and desperate people behind and headed for the baths. After stewing in his own thoughts for a time, he leaves and wanders about Rome for a time before ending up at the Forum. He is disturbed by seeing Templars carrying someone off, but not overly surprised. Deciding that he might as well see what's going on, he walks over to whichever Templar seems to be in charge and asks, "What is this woman being arrested for, and by whose authority?"

Marthinwurer
2012-10-23, 04:59 PM
When Tyti notices that she is being followed, she carries on a few blocks and then ducks into an alley. She quickly drops her pack and readies her kukris to be easily accessible if they are needed. "How have the Romans caught on too me so quickly?" she thinks as she waits for her pursuer.

OzzyKP
2015-04-22, 09:54 AM
I can't find the OOC thread, but since this game is pretty darn dead I figure it wouldn't hurt to post here. As a courtesy I wanted to let y'all know that another Rome game is starting up:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?411086-Pathfinder-in-Ancient-Rome-(with-Magic)