PDA

View Full Version : Mount ideas for the vertically gifted

ColdIron
2012-10-07, 03:01 PM
I am joining a campaign with a Goliath barbarian and have been trying to decide what mount he should have. Horses seem a little small for a race that can be put in the large category when angry. Anyone have an idea? I should also note that he uses the firestorm berserker prestige class so being flame resistant would be a good idea.

Jeff the Green
2012-10-07, 03:04 PM
What level are you starting at?

Uhtred
2012-10-07, 03:06 PM
Rhinoceros. Arms & Equipment Guide, pg. 81. 290gp for a trained one. Nothing really says "Screw you, goblins!" like charging into a mob on a rhino.

Alternately, Triceratops. Same book, next page. Slightly more pricey for a trained one at 17,000gp, but again. Screw you, Goblins!

ColdIron
2012-10-07, 03:13 PM
What level are you starting at?
15 for the rest of the group 14 for me because of race.

Duboris
2012-10-07, 03:54 PM
Totally going to agree with the idea of a Rhinoceros on this one.

That or one of those elephants from the 300 movie.

Your pick.

Jeff the Green
2012-10-07, 04:05 PM
Wild Cohort is a good idea. You can pick up an Allosaurus (tough), Dire Tortoise (gets a surprise round, period), or Dragonhawk (flies) with it. Depending on your DM, you might be able to take Shared Fury, letting your mount rage with you.

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-07, 04:07 PM
Check out the Warbeast templated Rhino on p 219 of MM2.

ColdIron
2012-10-07, 04:22 PM
I like the triceratops idea it's just the lack of heat resistance. Firestorm berserkers can go human torch when ragging and I don't like the idea of burning whatever I am riding in mid charge.

Agent 451
2012-10-07, 04:32 PM
Fire resistant barding, perhaps?

Jeff the Green
2012-10-07, 04:40 PM
I like the triceratops idea it's just the lack of heat resistance. Firestorm berserkers can go human torch when ragging and I don't like the idea of burning whatever I am riding in mid charge.

Just wear pants. Your touch deals damage, but that presumably is blocked by clothing just like Touch of Golden Ice.

Alternatively, Shared Fury, which gives your animal companion (Wild Cohort) all the benefits of your rage, including fire immunity.

nedz
2012-10-07, 06:23 PM
How are you intending to fly ? At level 15 its kind of assumed.

Anxe
2012-10-07, 06:35 PM
Somewhat homebrewy here. Draconomicon has the feat, Dragon Cohort. It lets you pick a dragon cohort and treat its level as 3 levels lower. Your ECL is 15, so normally you could only get a cohort of max level 13. With Dragon Cohort you get one of max level 16 as long as its a dragon.

From the Draconomicon there is the Abyssal Drake. It's Huge, so you can ride on it, and it has fire immunity. It's ECL is 15, so if you can get your leadership score high, you can pick it as a cohort. It can also fly, so that covers nedz point. Only problem is that it is technically an outsider, not a dragon from the specific list of dragon cohorts. Thus, you'd need DM approval. I think its balanced though.

Other obvious problem with the Abyssal Drake is that it is Chaotic Evil

EDIT: You could also slap a Fiendish template onto a Rhino or an elephant. That gives it fire resistance. We've also got Pyrohydras. I'm sure you can convince someone in your group to dominate the hydra to serve as your mount. You could also use Handle Animal on the Hydra to train it. DC 32 to train a 12 headed one.

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-07, 06:59 PM
Half-Dragon (Brass) Rhinoceros. Flying and Fire Immunity.

toapat
2012-10-07, 07:12 PM

i prefer gold or ruby if we are going for a fire immune half dragon template

nedz
2012-10-07, 07:12 PM

Nice, but what feats does he need ?
I'm guessing that Wild Cohort doesn't cut it.
That just gives him an Animal

Ed: will Dragon Cohort suffice ?

Anxe
2012-10-07, 07:28 PM
Nice, but what feats does he need ?
I'm guessing that Wild Cohort doesn't cut it.
That just gives him an Animal

Ed: will Dragon Cohort suffice ?

By RAW, no. Dragon Cohort only works on a specific list of dragons within the Draconomicon. This includes only metallic and chromatic dragons as well as a couple others (pseudodragon, wyvern, dragonnel, and spiked felldrake). I think its fair to expand the feat to include other choices, like half-dragon rhinos, but it requires DM approval.

Also, how drunk was the dragon when it decided a half-rhino kid was a good idea?

toapat
2012-10-07, 08:05 PM
Also, how drunk was the dragon when it decided a half-rhino kid was a good idea?

drunk enough that it would kill anyone not immune to poison within the radius of the dragon's Frightful presence from the radiant alcohol

ColdIron
2012-10-07, 08:15 PM
I talked to The DM about it and We came to an agreement that I can have an elemental creature template applied to a animal giving me a good though mount made of magma. I'm thinking about having a bison.

Slipperychicken
2012-10-07, 08:38 PM
I talked to The DM about it and We came to an agreement that I can have an elemental creature template applied to a animal giving me a good though mount made of magma. I'm thinking about having a bison.

Magma Rhino. Screw optimal, you know it's awesome.

Duboris
2012-10-07, 08:40 PM
Magma Rhino. Screw optimal, you know it's awesome.

A Rhino made of Magma with a Burning Goliath riding it swinging a flail in circles that, just for sheer redundancy, is also on fire and happens to be a flame burst weapon?

Sh-yeah. Why not?

Slipperychicken
2012-10-07, 09:18 PM
A Rhino made of Magma with a Burning Goliath riding it swinging a flail in circles that, just for sheer redundancy, is also on fire and happens to be a flame burst weapon?

Sh-yeah. Why not?

Kind of like This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BYxjlRmn1k#t=0m27s), only made of fire, with an angry flaming giant on top.

You'd basically be a mobile burning tower of and hatred and destruction.

See if you can pick up the Wild Cohort feat (web enhancement), so your mount won't get one-shotted at later levels.