PDA

View Full Version : Fist of the Coral (fist of the forest reworking)

Nightgaun7
2012-10-07, 09:45 PM
Reworking Fist of the Forest for an oceangoing campaign, because I love the idea of micro-PrCs and I liked the basic idea. Need some input. Tentatively named Maw of the Abyss. Someone else suggested Fist of the Coral. Maybe Claw of the Coral? I'm a sucker for alliteration.

First off, I'm not aware of a pelargic equivalent of the Guardians of the Green, and while I like the flavor, it's a bit too similar to a few other classes out there for my taste, so I want a bit less of the wild man hermit type thing, and a bit more seafood flavor. (ironically, I hate eating fish)

Secondly, I want to rework it a bit. I don't see people punching things to death underwater too much, so the FotF emphasis on doing just that should be eliminated or reworked. (Incidentally, WotC seems to really want barbarians to use unarmed combat. Out of the barbarian prestige classes presented in Being Bane, for example, over half improve or rely entirely on unarmed combat or grapples. And three of the others make you cast spells) I'd like this to be water-flavored, but not too useless on land. I'm also aware that lots of people only dip this for the first level, so I'd like to add a little something to make it attractive to stay in through to level 3. Something as simple as a bonus feat might do it, but again, suggestions are welcome

Here's what I've got so far. Bit light on fluff at the moment, will work on that later.

Maw of the Abyss (based on Fist of the Forest)
Requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Skills: Handle Animal 4 ranks, Survival 4 ranks
Feats: Power Attack, Great Fortitude, Improved Unarmed Strike.
Great Fortitude is rather boring, and Improved Unarmed Strike doesn't fit as mentioned previously. Was thinking about a simple swap for Improved Bull Rush, but other ideas are welcome.
Other: Racial Swim Speed

Hit die - d10
Skill points - 4 + Int Changed this to be in line with other barbarian PrCs, bit low if you get into this as a ranger or monk or something

AC Bonus (Ex): Heavy armor is a hindrance when submerged, and movements are often slowed by the pressure of the deep. Accordingly, you have learned to shift with the strikes. While unarmored or wearing light armor, you gain a bonus to your Armor Class equal to your Constitution bonus (if any). See the monk class feature (PH40). I changed this to enable light armor use for better synergy with a wider variety of classes, and for thematic purposes. You may notice that I'm big on things working together lol.

Swift Swimmer (Ex): Your base swim speed is faster than the norm for your race. See the barbarian Fast Movement class feature (PH 25). If you already have fast movement from another class, the bonuses to your speed stack.

Thalassal Trance (Su): Once per day, you can enter a battle trance. Your hands and feet become clawlike (destroying any shoes or gloves you are wearing), and your teeth lengthen and grow pointed. For the duration of the trance, you gain a +4 bonus to Dexterity and a +2 bonus on damage rolls with your unarmed strikes.
You can also make one bite attack per round at your highest attack bonus whenever you attack as a full-round action. The damage for this attack is 1d6 + your Str modifier, regardless of your size.
A feral trance lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + your Con modifier. While in a trance, you cannot perform certain actions, and afterward you are fatigued. These restrictions are the same as those for the barbarian’s rage class feature (PH25–26). If you have the ability to enter a rage, you can do so while in a feral trance, using your increased Constitution score to determine the duration of both effects.
At 3rd level, you can use this ability twice per day.
Wondering how to change this. I like the bite attack (sharks, morays, barracudas, etc etc), but what, if anything, to replace or change about the hands and feet getting claws? Was thinking about some kind of spines, a poison attack, shocking attack like an electric eel...huge array of ideas, really. Like I said, though, not too keen on punching and kicking being the order of the day

Primal Living (Ex): To maintain your powers, you must live like a wild animal. You must sleep in natural environments, never inside buildings, unless forced by circumstances . Furthermore, you cannot purchase food—you must obtain it by hunting, gathering, begging, or stealing. Some fists of the forest even give up speech, the use of fire and tools, and all possessions, but such extremes are not required. In any month in which you buy food or voluntarily sleep indoors more than three times, all your fist of the forest class features cease to function until you have spent thirty consecutive days living like an animal once more, or until a fellow Guardian of the Green casts atonement on you.
Again, wondering how to handle this. Thought about "must be completely submerged for 1 hour a day" or something but that might be too restrictive. Primal living doesn't hinder characters who go anywhere, it just makes them have to sleep on the roof and eat a rat if they live in the city for a bit. Whereas if we're busy fighting the volcano lords of Fieryplace, then the Maw of the Abyss here is out of luck.

Unarmed Damage (Ex): Moving in the depths of the ocean has made you stronger than others of your race. Your unarmed attacks deal more damage than usual. At 1st level, you deal 1d8 points of damage with each unarmed strike. When you attain 3rd level, this damage increases to 1d10 points. See the monk class feature (PH41). If your unarmed attack already deals this amount of damage, increase the base damage to the next step indicated on the monk class table.
Went through the other barbarian PrCs and a few ideas to replace this popped up - improved power attack and swing blindly (eye of gruumsh). I'm sure there are other good ideas, I just haven't thought of them yet.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): In the inky blackness of the ocean floor, one must acquire a sixth sense for danger. At 2nd level, you cannot be caught flatfooted, and you react to danger before your senses would normally allow you to do so. See the barbarian class feature (PH26). If you already have uncanny dodge from another class, you instead gain improved uncanny dodge.

Tidal Blow (Su): You can channel the tremedous power of the tides into your strikes. On reaching 2nd level, your unarmed strikes are treated as magic weapons; see the monk’s ki strike class feature (PH41). If your unarmed strikes are already magical, they instead are treated lesser ghost touch weapons. They deal full damage against incorporeal creatures 50% of the time and half damage the rest of the time.
Like the name, need a feature to go with it

Echolocation: as per the Darfellan ability. You have learned to pinpoint foes and get a feel of the countours of your surroundings by making noises and listening to the echo. You gain blindsense out to 20 feet, but the blindsense doesn't extend beyond the water.
This replaces Scent

Eurus
2012-10-07, 09:49 PM
I kinda like the idea of making them specialize in harpoon or trident combat rather than unarmed. :smallbiggrin:

Nightgaun7
2012-10-07, 10:17 PM
Well, from a realistic point of view those are both weapons used by people on the surface to hit things below it. The harpoon especially so. If you're a darfellan or something and you harpoon a sperm whale or something, well, sucks to be you, you're going for a ride until you let go.

Nightgaun7
2012-10-08, 02:18 AM
OK, been doing a bit more looking around

A few feats popped out as good potential substitutes for the unarmed damage bonus:
Elusive Target: you are adept at outmaneuvering underwater enemies, who often make charges or rushing attacks. dodge, mobility, spring attack, combat expertise, acrobatic charge, and sidestep all have more or less the same logic as elusive target, being good at getting out of the way of krakens, killer whales, aboleths, whatever.
Fearless: Few have seen the horrors that can come crawling out of oceanic trenches. you are one of the even fewer who have survived to tell the tale.
Clever Wrestling, for evading grapples and such from bigger beasts.

Could also replace it with a class feature from another class. I'd really like ones that add versatility rather than just increasing damage, but seeing as it's an ability that increases damage it might just be best to make it a swap like that.
Some class features:
One With The Darkness - It's dark down there
Invisible fist - monk feature to replace a monk feature, I like it
Blur of Motion, same idea
Distracting Attack - presumably you and a bro could wander around down there hunting aberrations and stuff, or fending of landwalkers. (slight bias here, this would help me work with one of the other players. Always like things that help the party work together)
Maybe something that would involve targetting the weak spots of foes? Brutal Strike, Twist the Knife, etc. I'm sure there are others that would fit.

Ashtagon
2012-10-08, 02:41 AM
Thalassal Trance (Su): Once per day, you can enter a battle trance. Your hands and feet become clawlike (destroying any shoes or gloves you are wearing), and your teeth lengthen and grow pointed. For the duration of the trance, you gain a +4 bonus to Dexterity and a +2 bonus on damage rolls with your unarmed strikes.

You can also make one bite attack per round at your highest attack bonus whenever you attack as a full-round action. The damage for this attack is 1d6 + your Str modifier, regardless of your size.

A feral trance lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + your Con modifier. While in a trance, you cannot perform certain actions, and afterward you are fatigued. These restrictions are the same as those for the barbarian’s rage class feature (PH25–26). If you have the ability to enter a rage, you can do so while in a feral trance, using your increased Constitution score to determine the duration of both effects.

Wondering how to change this. I like the bite attack (sharks, morays, barracudas, etc etc), but what, if anything, to replace or change about the hands and feet getting claws? Was thinking about some kind of spines, a poison attack, shocking attack like an electric eel...huge array of ideas, really. Like I said, though, not too keen on punching and kicking being the order of the day

I'd play on the water trope more:

Pelagic Trance: While in this trance, you can breathe water normally, and are immune to damage from high pressure and cold caused by the environment. IN addition, you gain a swim speed equal to your land speed (or +10 feet to your existing swim speed, whichever is higher), can always take 10 on Swim checks, and gain a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks.

I'd keep the bite attack, but drop the claw attacks (they don't make sense for swimming creatures).

Tidal Blow (Su): You can channel the tremedous power of the tides into your strikes. On reaching 2nd level, your unarmed strikes are treated as magic weapons; see the monk’s ki strike class feature (PH41). If your unarmed strikes are already magical, they instead are treated lesser ghost touch weapons. They deal full damage against incorporeal creatures 50% of the time and half damage the rest of the time.
Like the name, need a feature to go with it

Some kind of bonus on overrun/bullrush attacks, and/or a damage bonus against fire creatures?

Echolocation: as per the Darfellan ability. You have learned to pinpoint foes and get a feel of the countours of your surroundings by making noises and listening to the echo. You gain blindsense out to 20 feet, but the blindsense doesn't extend beyond the water.
This replaces Scent

I'd also grant a scent ability only usable underwater.

Nightgaun7
2012-10-09, 09:03 PM
Ok, round 2. I'd really like some input on how balanced the class features are compared to the original. I think that Tidal Surge is rather weaker than what it replaces, whereas Deep One's Fury may be slightly more powerful.
I'm still not satisfied with it, but I thought I post these and see what people thought.

Strength of the Sea (Su): Once per day, you channel the irresitible might of the ocean. Your blows are as difficult to turn aside as the waves and sweep away lesser foes, and you are filled with the ferocity of an abyssal predator. For the duration of the trance, you gain a +4 bonus to Dexterity and Supreme Cleave
This trance lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + your Con modifier. While in a trance, you cannot perform certain actions, and afterward you are fatigued. These restrictions are the same as those for the barbarian’s rage class feature (PH25–26). If you have the ability to enter a rage, you can do so while in this trance, using your increased Constitution score to determine the duration of both effects.

Primal Living (Ex): still having trouble finding a good balance similar to FotF's primal living with this with this. must bathe in seawater once a day?

Deep One's Fury (Ex): You have taken on the killer instincts of the denizens of the deep. At 1st level, you gain +1 attack bonus with all attacks. When you attain 3rd level, you get +2 to damage with all attacks.

Tidal Surge (Su): You can put the tremendous power of the tides into your strikes. Gain the Improved Sunder feat.

Nightgaun7
2012-10-11, 11:56 PM
Strength of the Sea - supreme cleave relies on having cleave. Ideally, there would be something similar that doesn't rely on having another feat.

Deep One's Fury - I just need to know if this is approximately balanced in comparison to the unarmed damage upgrades given (goes up to d8 at level 1 of FotF and then d10 at level 3) by Fist of the Forest. Other ideas besides a flat bonus are more than welcome.

Tidal Surge - Improved Sunder is pretty boring, but I can't think of too much else for fighter-types to do. The FotF ability turns your fists into magic weapons or gives them the ability to punch ghosts if you already have magic fists.

Veklim
2012-10-12, 05:49 AM
Erm, why not replace great fortitude and imp. unarmed strike with power attack and cleave in the class requirements? That way you solve 2 issues with one change, the requirements make more sense AND Strength of the Sea works since you already have cleave this way..?

Aside from that, I'm not sure if you're changing things thematically to the extent where this is really going somewhere useful. My advice would be to look at sea creatures, their abilities, and try to emulate these, or at least find some inspiration. Look at the squid's Ink Cloud and Jet abilities for starters, both nice and thematically appropriate aquatic abilities which may be inspirational.

Fighters (and their ilk) don't have to just hit things, give them movement options, give them helpful or different skill uses, give them alternate defences, don't just give them more attacks and more damage (that's what's so bad about them already, you only compound the issue if you pander to the tier 4-5 stereotypes).

Nightgaun7
2012-10-12, 09:07 PM
Erm, why not replace great fortitude and imp. unarmed strike with power attack and cleave in the class requirements? That way you solve 2 issues with one change, the requirements make more sense AND Strength of the Sea works since you already have cleave this way..?

Aside from that, I'm not sure if you're changing things thematically to the extent where this is really going somewhere useful. My advice would be to look at sea creatures, their abilities, and try to emulate these, or at least find some inspiration. Look at the squid's Ink Cloud and Jet abilities for starters, both nice and thematically appropriate aquatic abilities which may be inspirational.

Fighters (and their ilk) don't have to just hit things, give them movement options, give them helpful or different skill uses, give them alternate defences, don't just give them more attacks and more damage (that's what's so bad about them already, you only compound the issue if you pander to the tier 4-5 stereotypes).

Brilliant post!
The only issue with looking at sea creatures too much is that I don't really want to be some sort of sea-shifter. However, the second part of your post is exactly what I'm looking for, I'm just not experienced enough to know what I should be doing to get those things. Any ideas? When I'm not on my phone I'll start looking at the abilities sea creatures have in the MM and stuff

Veklim
2012-10-13, 09:03 AM
OK, have a few basic suggestions for this, I played a campaign for about 5 months which was set on a large island chain (reminiscent of the Caribbean in some ways) and Stormwrack (a WotC book which covers aquatic stuff and ships and all that jazz) was rather useful for it, if you can get a hold of that book then it would be helpful I'm sure.

1. From level 1 onwards, allow them to hold their breath for an extra 1 minute / class level. This will instantly help level the playing field for any campaign where aquatic and terrestrial creatures meet frequently, regardless of whether the Maw is air or water breathing.

2. Present movement and AC boni for when you attack or evade from a different elevation in the water. Consider giving things like corkscrew charge (in the water) and supreme cleave throughout their development, allowing for a more dynamic combat style.

3. Look at stuff like entangling, darkness/ink effects and creating currents and vortices to give them some BFC options.

4. Look in detail at all the rules for being underwater, and think about things you'd like them to do better than standard.