PDA

View Full Version : What CR adjustment should I have for this template?

gooddragon1
2012-10-07, 11:18 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Duboris
2012-10-07, 11:35 PM
Ok, this has absolutely nothing to do with CR adjusment, but if I ever find one of these things and actually manage to beat it down, well... There's only one phrase I'm going to utter while I walk away from it.

"Taste the Rainbow"

TuggyNE
2012-10-07, 11:47 PM
Well, two preliminary comments: first, bold/italic is your friend; second, the save language in Prismatic Breath needs clean-up, as it took a while for me to realize it gives you a Reflex negates in addition to Reflex half, Will negates, or Fort negates (I suggest looking at the shadow evocation/conjuration spells for inspiration on wording).

Now, to the CR. The immunities are probably worth several CR by themselves; Prismatic Body acts like a mid-level spell at will with action-economy advantages, and Prismatic Breath is also pretty ferocious. Add in +10 Cha and this is a fearsome glass*cannon maker; it's very dangerous but not very hard to knock down with the right tactics.

Somewhere between CR +8 and CR +12 is probably correct. I think. However, you might consider attempting some vague CR adjustment handwaves for base creatures that are unusually sturdy, or unusually frail (not merely in HP), as that's what will mostly govern the difficulty of an encounter as a whole.

*Pun not intended but gladly accepted.

Also, the correct one-liner is actually "Taste the painbow", I believe. :P

gooddragon1
2012-10-08, 12:32 AM
Well, two preliminary comments: first, bold/italic is your friend; second, the save language in Prismatic Breath needs clean-up, as it took a while for me to realize it gives you a Reflex negates in addition to Reflex half, Will negates, or Fort negates (I suggest looking at the shadow evocation/conjuration spells for inspiration on wording).

Now, to the CR. The immunities are probably worth several CR by themselves; Prismatic Body acts like a mid-level spell at will with action-economy advantages, and Prismatic Breath is also pretty ferocious. Add in +10 Cha and this is a fearsome glass*cannon maker; it's very dangerous but not very hard to knock down with the right tactics.

Somewhere between CR +8 and CR +12 is probably correct. I think. However, you might consider attempting some vague CR adjustment handwaves for base creatures that are unusually sturdy, or unusually frail (not merely in HP), as that's what will mostly govern the difficulty of an encounter as a whole.

*Pun not intended but gladly accepted.

Also, the correct one-liner is actually "Taste the painbow", I believe. :P

I was thinking CR +10 but I think +8 and changing the free action breath weapon to standard could work. Also, changing CHA to +6, prismatic 30 foot effect on damage received to once per minute, one attack per round that successfully hits deals a prismatic effect rather than all of them, and saves vs damage and poison to negates instead of halves and partial. Will reword as necessary.

Thanks for the advice.