PDA

View Full Version : A Lizardfolk without level adjustment

the Blue Morpho
2012-10-08, 04:58 AM
Sorry if this has been covered before, but searches have yielded little satisfaction so here's my attempt at stats for a lizardfolk in a campaing that is either on the younger side or is simply underdeveloped.

Lesser Lizardfolk characters possess the following racial traits:

+2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence.
Medium size.
A lesser lizardfolk’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Tail: A lesser lizardfolk have a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump, and Swim checks.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A lesser lizardfolk is automatically proficient with simple weapons and shields (accept tower shields).
+2 natural armor bonus.
Natural Weapons: 1 bite (1d4).
Special Quality: Hold breath - A Lesser lizardfolk can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to three times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic.
Bonus Languages: Aquan, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc.
Favored Class: Druid.
Level adjustment +0

There you have it. Pretty much straight out of the SRD with the STR bonus, Racial HD, and the benefits that follow the HD completely removed along with the natural armor, natural weapons, and Hold Breath Special Quality diminished. Seem fair?

blazinghand
2012-10-08, 11:14 AM
Sorry if this has been covered before, but searches have yielded little satisfaction so here's my attempt at stats for a lizardfolk in a campaing that is either on the younger side or is simply underdeveloped.

Lesser Lizardfolk characters possess the following racial traits:

+2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence.
Medium size.
A lesser lizardfolk’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Tail: A lesser lizardfolk have a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump, and Swim checks.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A lesser lizardfolk is automatically proficient with simple weapons and shields (accept tower shields).
+2 natural armor bonus.
Natural Weapons: 1 bite (1d4).
Special Quality: Hold breath - A Lesser lizardfolk can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to three times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic.
Bonus Languages: Aquan, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc.
Favored Class: Druid.
Level adjustment +0

There you have it. Pretty much straight out of the SRD with the STR bonus, Racial HD, and the benefits that follow the HD completely removed along with the natural armor, natural weapons, and Hold Breath Special Quality diminished. Seem fair?

Looks pretty solid to me. One thing that jumps out, though, is the proficiencies it gets-- I always assumed these came from having MonHu HD, rather than being an inherent feature of the race. I'd probably strip those out, and make sure the specify the bite is a secondary attack.

Other than that, looks like a balanced race. The -2 Int always hurts but there's really no way around it, and probably is a good balancing factor for the natural armor.

Psyren
2012-10-08, 03:16 PM
Looks pretty solid to me. One thing that jumps out, though, is the proficiencies it gets-- I always assumed these came from having MonHu HD, rather than being an inherent feature of the race. I'd probably strip those out, and make sure the specify the bite is a secondary attack.

Actually, they are Humanoid (Reptilian) in both 3.5 and PF, not Monstrous Humanoids.

blazinghand
2012-10-08, 03:49 PM
Actually, they are Humanoid (Reptilian) in both 3.5 and PF, not Monstrous Humanoids.

Arg I keep on making that mistake because they have tails and armor for them is more expensive as a result. Thanks. I literally made the same error a couple weeks ago when I used Charm Monster instead of Charm Person on a Lizardfolk :smallredface:

Psyren
2012-10-08, 04:10 PM
Arg I keep on making that mistake because they have tails and armor for them is more expensive as a result. Thanks. I literally made the same error a couple weeks ago when I used Charm Monster instead of Charm Person on a Lizardfolk :smallredface:

Don't feel bad - just consider it to have been Heightened Charm Person :smallwink:

the Blue Morpho
2012-10-08, 09:06 PM

Other than that, looks like a balanced race. The -2 Int always hurts but there's really no way around it, and probably is a good balancing factor for the natural armor.

Thanks!
I'll make sure to make the secondary attack note on the bite when I present it to the DM.

You might be right about the proficiencies being based on the Humanoid levels, though some of the base races have automatic proficiencies as well. Plus, having access to all simple weapons and shields, minus tower, for a race that is tribal and probably fights other tribes more often than not would make sense.

I'll see what the DM says about it.

Fouredged Sword
2012-10-08, 09:20 PM
I think all races that have one racial HD get prof from their class when it replaces the HD, so all player characters. Otherwise they get prof only in the items listed on their monster manual stat block (or whatever the DM wants them to have)

I dislike the whole radical HD thing to begin with anyway. In all my games all the generic HD are replaced with NPC class HD for everything with a non-animal Int score. It gives me more variety in racial HD and I only have five types of HD to worry about.

Plus it's fun when the players find that the giant they are fighting has adept HD, not warrior.

TuggyNE
2012-10-08, 10:11 PM
I think all races that have one racial HD get prof from their class when it replaces the HD, so all player characters. Otherwise they get prof only in the items listed on their monster manual stat block (or whatever the DM wants them to have)

That's not exactly correct. Each Type grants certain proficiencies for its RHD; some give simple weapons and those wielded, for example, some give all simple and martial, and so forth. As far as I know, no Types are limited to weapons wielded in their stat block.

awa
2012-10-08, 11:12 PM
magic beasts have no base proficiencies yet the lamia is equipped with a dagger and suffers no penalty

TuggyNE
2012-10-08, 11:15 PM
magic beasts have no base proficiencies yet the lamia is equipped with a dagger and suffers no penalty

That's probably an error, or else someone decided to leave out "Weapon Proficiency: Daggerb" in the feat list in the interests of simplicity.

awa
2012-10-08, 11:29 PM
probably either that or they meant to make them a monstrous humanoid, almost no magical beast use weapons

ericgrau
2012-10-08, 11:57 PM
+1 the race looks solid.

Humanoids are proficient with simple weapons and the armor in their description, or by character class. So you might not want any racial proficiencies. Not that it makes a difference on just about anything except a wizard, and the race has an int penalty anyway.

the Blue Morpho
2012-10-11, 05:43 AM
Update: The DM ok'd it!

Best part is I'll be using it for a DFA, so screw weapon proficiencies. :biggrin: