PDA

View Full Version : When An Aquatic Orc and An Aventi...

Palanan
2012-10-08, 10:04 AM
I have a player who'd like to run an aquatic character for my seafaring campaign--in particular, something like a water orc.

Unfortunately, as near as I can tell, water orcs don't actually breathe water, which makes them less than useful. Aquatic orcs do breathe water...but they don't breathe air, which would also raise some issues.

So I'm thinking a half-aventi/half-aquatic orc, with half-orc traits and water-breathing from one side, and the amphibious ability from the other. It might look something like this:

Half-Aventi/Half-Aquatic Orc

+2 Str, -2 Int, -2 Cha
Medium
land speed 30; swim speed 30
low-light vision darkvision
amphibious
blindsight 10' (underwater only)
favored class: any

So, my questions on this:

1. Does this look more or less appropriate for a hybrid of these two races?

2. Does everything in that package add up to LA +1? I'm not aiming for that as such, but water- and air-breathing together, plus blindsight, seems a little much for LA +0.

willpell
2012-10-08, 10:10 AM
I would say you're fine with LA +0; the blindsight and waterbreathing only matter when underwater, and it's suggested somewhere that you don't count as more powerful for being able to function in an environment when the campaign takes place in that environment. The ability to retreat from a land enemy by going underwater or the reverse is potentially a powerful ability, but you're -2 total stats (the same is true for a normal half-orc, but they're not exactly considered powerful for having -2 stats and basically nothing in exchange, so you needn't be constrained to their example). If your guy is LA +1, then it's by about the same logic which says a Hobgoblin or a Blue has to be LA +1 when they are really not significantly more powerful than humans (not enough so to be worth giving up a level at any rate).

Palanan
2012-10-08, 10:18 AM
Good comments, thanks, and I did note the line in Unearthed Arcana that you don't need any adjustment when the campaign is set in that environment.

But I should mention that the campaign is seafaring, rather than underwater, so a good deal of it takes place on the ocean rather than beneath it. The rest of the ship's crew--and the rest of the party so far--are all standard air-breathers, so in that context the hybrid orc would seem to have an advantage.

But would that be enough of an advantage to justify the +1 LA? I tend not to work with LA, so I'm definitely looking for feedback on this.

nedz
2012-10-08, 11:06 AM
The Blindsight 10' will only help against underwater opponents who are invisible or when there is zero visibility. Even then the 10' range is only helpful in close combat. I don't think its worth +1 LA; compared with the quite common Darkvision 60', this wouldn't help you anything like as much.

Venusaur
2012-10-08, 01:45 PM
I'm pretty sure there is an amphibious template in Stormwrack. Maybe you should check that out.

Flickerdart
2012-10-08, 01:58 PM
That's nowhere near what 1 LA is worth, even with buy-off. The stuff it has over a basic half-orc (which is already rubbish) are extremely circumstantial, and you took away its Darkvision too. Take a look at the Aquatic Half-Orc - Half-Orc stats, Aquatic subtype, 30ft swim speed, and a +2 bonus to two skills.

Palanan
2012-10-08, 04:30 PM
The consensus so far is that it's fine as +0 LA, and it sounds like darkvision could go back in without any trouble.

Any suggestions for what else could be added, without going over into +1 LA? I've seen the bonuses for the aquatic half-orc, and I'd be willing to give similar bonuses to more relevant skills--for instance, some combination of Escape Artist, Handle Animal, Intimidate, or Survival.

Maybe a floating +2 to any two of those? Other suggestions?

Metahuman1
2012-10-08, 06:51 PM
I'd slap a racial bonus to swim checks, MAYBE to profession: Sailing checks or Profession: Fishing checks.

Stats, the penalty's are fine. Leave them as is.

Add an additional +2 to Str for a total +4, and give them a +2 to Con, kinda like a Water Orc.

This will be a solid LA 0 race, particularly for a mostly melee build or form a Divine Caster that's Wis based.

Flickerdart
2012-10-08, 06:54 PM
Creatures with a swim speed automatically get a +8 bonus on Swim checks.

Nightgaun7
2012-10-08, 06:59 PM
I'd slap a racial bonus to swim checks, MAYBE to profession: Sailing checks or Profession: Fishing checks.

Stats, the penalty's are fine. Leave them as is.

Add an additional +2 to Str for a total +4, and give them a +2 to Con, kinda like a Water Orc.

This will be a solid LA 0 race, particularly for a mostly melee build or form a Divine Caster that's Wis based.

I second this motion >_>