PDA

View Full Version : Chess Spells [WIP] [Level/School help needed]

qwertyu63
2012-10-08, 10:08 AM
I'm making a number of spells with a chess motif. I will be putting them here as I make them. That said, I am horrible at placing spells/schools on levels, so help there is greatly appreciated.

Checkmate:
Checkmate

Level: Sor/Wiz ?
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Duration: 1 round
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes

By pointing at your foe, you declare an intent to defeat them. As your allies move into place, all there is to say is "Checkmate."

To cast this spell, your target must not be threatened by any of your allies. At the end of the target's next turn, if they are threatened by any of your allies, they take non-lethal damage equal to their maximum hit points (Fortitude negates this, DC +2 for every one of your allies threatening them beyond the first).

Focus:
A king from a chess set.

Promote:
Promote

Casting Time: 1 standard action
Target: 1 ally in range
Duration: 1 round/level [D]
Saving Throw: None

By pointing at your at your ally, you increase their power.

When you cast this, you take 1 negative level. This level is returned after the spell ends. For the duration of this spell, the target is treated as 1 level higher, as if they had gained a level in the class they have with the most levels (if tied, the one they took the most recently). This does increase saves, BAB, skill points, caster level, HD, hit points and most class features that scale with level, but not spells per day, spells known (also applies to maneuvers, powers, utterances, etc.), or feats. When this spell ends, the extra level is lost, and all benefits of that level are removed.

Focus:
A pawn from a chess set.

Castle:
Castle

Casting Time: 1 move action
Duration: 1 round/level [D]

By pointing at your at your ally, they move to protect you.

The target of this spell is teleported to your space. You must make a 5 foot step while casting this spell (this is part of the casting time, and not a separate action.)

Focus:
A rook from a chess set.

Stride:
Stride

Casting Time: 1 standard action
Duration: 1 round

By pointing at your at your ally, they find great speed within themselves

This spell increases the target's base land speed by 100 feet. All movement they take while under this spell must be in a straight line.

Focus:
A queen from a chess set.

CthulhuEatYou
2012-10-08, 03:33 PM
I guess something like:

Checkmate - Level 7 Divination Spell (I guess, I'm not really sure with this one)
Promote - Level 3 or 4 Transmutation spell
Castle - Level 2 Conjuration (Teleportation) spell