PDA

View Full Version : Flesh to Stone Gorgon Style

GutterFace
2012-10-08, 10:41 AM
So i bound the Gorgon Mask to my Totem for my Totemist to give it a shot.

since the Flesh to Stone nonsense only works for 1 round i have found it to be mostly useless.

but i have some questions as per its utility. for example if a party member is on fire! and im up next and i turn him to stone, the fire goes out and he wont take more damage correct? does this also work for poison...does turning someone to stone stop effects that are stacked on them? poison, disease, bleed, acid burn?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-08, 10:49 AM
Gorgon mask is so your party mate with a big adamantine mace smash your Flesh-to-Ston'ed enemies in their own turn. (they might need to delay)

GutterFace
2012-10-08, 11:02 AM
yes besides that. if i am last in the order it wears off before someone can move in to smash.

i more need to know utility of the Gorgon mask/ Flesh to Stone...does it stop effects or only delay them

Jeraa
2012-10-08, 11:06 AM
yes besides that. if i am last in the order it wears off before someone can move in to smash.

No it doesn't. Effects that least 1 round end right before your next action. If you petrify someone on Initiative 10 in 1 round, it will stay petrified until right before Initiative 10 comes around again in the next round.

If you petrify someone for 1 round, everyone will get to act once before it wears off. (Unless you roll for initiative every round - then it is possible for the petrification to end before anyone else can act.)

Edit: Also, I believe you mean Basilisk Mask, which does have a duration of 1 round. The Gorgon Mask has no listed duration, but can only be used 1/day.

GutterFace
2012-10-08, 11:10 AM
i stand corrected. useful in combat as well.

but still leaves my utility questions in a haze. is there anyone that can clarify?

tyckspoon
2012-10-08, 11:16 AM

i more need to know utility of the Gorgon mask/ Flesh to Stone...does it stop effects or only delay them

"1 round" is usually counted from initiative to initiative based on the position of the character that started the effect, not a universal timer of 'ok, we're on another round, count down all the timers.' For longer-lasting things it doesn't make a lot of difference, but for very short duration effects like this it's an important distinction- think of it as a duration of "until the next time I take my turn" (absent effects that screw with the initiative order/cause extra turns.)

To answer your question: Effects in D&D generally don't stop just because the target turns into something that is ineligible for it. They remain in effect and will continue counting off their own durations, and return to full effect when their victim returns to a state where he is vulnerable. You could use the petrification to bypass the active round of something like poisons or other timed effects if you can count their timers accurately, but it's a rather cumbersome way of dealing with longer-term problems.

GutterFace
2012-10-08, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the help. i was thinking of taking levels in something with healing after level 3 of Totemist, as our party is a bunch of non optimized new players.

i was theorizing that is the Gorgon mask could wipe negative status of someone it would be a boon. otherwise it would be fun to lock up enemies :)